Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Remember when Troy Aikman ripped the decision by Fox to bring on Skip Bayless? apparently FS1's execs were pissed about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hmmm should we side with the lead announcer for the most popular product on any Fox network or the guy whose show is regularly outrated by 50 year old episodes of scooby doo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like if you're still pissed 25 years later that some guy said you might be gay, you're probably gay.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like if you're still pissed 25 years later that some guy said you might be gay, you're probably gay.

To be fair...that was rather taboo back then and could have done some serious harm to his career.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

To be fair...that was rather taboo back then and could have done some serious harm to his career.

I mean, I totally get being pissed at the time but that seems like a stupid hill to continue to die on decades later.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not to mention that Skip Bayless' career took off from that point. Knowing that some shitheel made millions by trying to slander and shame me publicly would keep me pissed off, too.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

That's really loving stupid.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fox executives hauling aikman into a meeting so he can defense himself

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

It's hard to decide who to dislike more at that point. I do really detest Bayless (Skip... Rick's cooking is amazing).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think I hate Earvin Johnson too much right now to watch this 30 for 30 that would normally be something I'd be into.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It pains me to defend Bayless here but I've read that book and he doesn't call Aikman gay. He clearly says that Switzer and his friends were spreading rumors around about Aikman being gay. He even says that he investigated it's validity and found there was no truth to it.

Now it's fair to argue whether that should have even been mentioned in the book. But a huge part of it was about how much Switzer and Aikman despised each other. How Switzer was constantly working behind the scenes to undermine Aikman. Switzer also tossed out stories about Aikman purposely losing a game and calling teammates racial slurs.

If a coach today was trying to undermine his QB by passing bullshit rumors around, every outlet would report on it without a second thought.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Niwrad posted:

It pains me to defend Bayless here but I've read that book and he doesn't call Aikman gay. He clearly says that Switzer and his friends were spreading rumors around about Aikman being gay. He even says that he investigated it's validity and found there was no truth to it.

Now it's fair to argue whether that should have even been mentioned in the book. But a huge part of it was about how much Switzer and Aikman despised each other. How Switzer was constantly working behind the scenes to undermine Aikman. Switzer also tossed out stories about Aikman purposely losing a game and calling teammates racial slurs.

If a coach today was trying to undermine his QB by passing bullshit rumors around, every outlet would report on it without a second thought.

This makes me wonder if some dumbass friend of Troy's simply told him about it rather than him reading it, or if Troy's reading comprehension is really that bad.

sportsgenius86 posted:

No. This is crap. Troy made his living playing in professional sports, an extremely homophobic environment, playing in a deeply fundamentally religious state where a great deal of Cowboy ticket holders may or may not hold those beliefs and turn on them if they believe said rumour. Now, Nirwad mentioned the book didn't say he was gay, but sports rumours are just as prone to becoming a bad game of telephone as any other type. On top of that, it could have affected his standing with his teammates and family if they chose to believe it. Couple that with the fact that gay rumours dogged Jeff Garcia and got him traded, and you can see why it being untrue is completely irrelevant as it relates to his reaction. And before anybody says it, I know Jeff was nowhere close to as good as Aikman, but he gave the Niners 4 good years in 5 seasons and the less than stellar year wasn't awful, just a dropoff.

In a nutshell, what was the original beef between Switzer and Aikman, anyways?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In a nutshell, what was the original beef between Switzer and Aikman, anyways?

Aikman transferred away from OU (where Switzer was the coach) after his freshman sophomore year and went on to be good enough to be the #1 overall draft pick? As far as I know there's no reason to believe Switzer held a grudge and if he really didn't want him to transfer he wouldn't have let him, plus Barry ran the damned wishbone and could recruit a better QB than Aikman for that. But if you're a muckraker looking to imagine the start of a beef, there you go.

Speaking of dumb rumors about 80s/90s QBs being gay where did the Kordell Stewart is gay thing start? I just realized reading this conversation I half believe it but I don't think I've ever heard anything remotely credible about it.

e: I don't know that's actually what started the supposed Switzer/Aikman thing, it's just the first semi-plausible thing that popped into my head.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 22, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Aikman transferred away from OU (where Switzer was the coach) after his freshman sophomore year and went on to be good enough to be the #1 overall draft pick? As far as I know there's no reason to believe Switzer held a grudge and if he really didn't want him to transfer he wouldn't have let him, plus Barry ran the damned wishbone and could recruit a better QB than Aikman for that. But if you're a muckraker looking to imagine the start of a beef, there you go.

Switzer recruited Aikman under the promise that they'd run a passing attack. Aikman broke his leg and they moved to the wishbone and decided to keep it. I don't know if Aikman was mad that he broke his promise or not but it worked out best for the both of them at the time.

The beef seemed to just be about control. Aikman had a lot of control over the locker room and Switzer was paranoid that he'd make a move to get him fired and bring back Norv Turner if things didn't work out. Switzer had filled the coaching staff and organization with his guys from Oklahoma. This allowed him to spread rumors about Aikman to the media and teammates. The gay rumor was one thing but they constantly tried to say that Aikman was a racist and a wimp behind his back.

Anyways, those Cowboys are a fascinating time in sports and I recommend Boys Will Be Boys by Jeff Pearlman if anyone is interested in reading more.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Steelers fans who were mad at Kordell started a rumor that he was arrested for lewd conduct in Frick Park. Then it became other parks. Then it was multiple arrests. And of course there's no evidence or record because the Steelers had the police cover it up. Yeah OK.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The cover up is the most believable part of that story.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/877929341883097089

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that whole rant was spectacular. Max's reactions were killing me.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
it's better than the WEEEEEEEED montage

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Steelers fans who were mad at Kordell started a rumor that he was arrested for lewd conduct in Frick Park. Then it became other parks. Then it was multiple arrests. And of course there's no evidence or record because the Steelers had the police cover it up. Yeah OK.

Recently his wife alluded to the rumours when she divorced him

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

stephen a's rant on his radio show a couple of days ago was also something

le batard had a field day with the opening minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDxm_djoBNo

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Recently his wife alluded to the rumours when she divorced him

there was a whole season of real housewives of atlanta about kordell's sexual preferences

i work from home, ok?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

This was so good. I used to be annoyed with SAS but because of the le batard show I love him. I just want to hear him get as angry as possible all the time.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Vertical Lime posted:

some cinnamon and a lil bit of brown sugar and some BLUEberries

SAS fan forever now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NBCSN is dumping the free Extra Time streams of Premier League matches and will now basically require both a cable/satellite subscription and a streaming fee of $50 to watch all the matches. Nothing will be archived, and if the game is on television in any NBC capacity, it will not be streamed.

quote:

The 250 Premier League games that will be airing on NBC’s TV outlets will not be available for live streaming with the Premier League Pass, meaning that for their $50, cord-cutters are only getting just over one-third of the total games this season.

:psyduck:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 27, 2017

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That's so loving bad without archives. Even worse if you live on the west coast. Don't wanna get up at 5am? gently caress you!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I should've known something cool and good couldn't possibly last.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

They're even loving over people WITH CABLE SUBSCRIPTIONS they can go gently caress themselves I'm not paying them 50 goddamn dollars for poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

They're even loving over people WITH CABLE SUBSCRIPTIONS they can go gently caress themselves I'm not paying them 50 goddamn dollars for poo poo

Yeah that's honestly the funniest part

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Fortunately MLS is just as good as Premier League so there will still be plenty of high quality soccer to draw in the US fans :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Between this and Megyn Kelly, I feel like NBC is being sabotaged from the top.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I shouldn't be surprised, they started doing something like that with the track and field rights they had this year and already was doing it with cycling for a while

But soccer isn't as niche as those two

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I wonder if they're getting squeezed by advertisers and are having to do something to mitigate it. This seems like it really came out of left field and hurts their live extra product. They're paying about $160M per season for the Premier League and I think last year was the 1st year of the new deal so my guess is drops in ratings are hurting their numbers.

This deal means two things. 1) More people will go to pubs (cause they're more likely to pay for these packages) and 2) More people are just going to illegally stream games because that's how this always plays out.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've been thinking - with ESPN scaling back their MLB studio shows, what are the odds Fox tries to get more baseball games on their networks when the contracts are up in 2022?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I've been thinking - with ESPN scaling back their MLB studio shows, what are the odds Fox tries to get more baseball games on their networks when the contracts are up in 2022?

I'm sure they'll submit bids but most of those national rights are still largely ESPN's to lose

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vertical Lime posted:

Here's the remixes they made of SAS losing his poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBfshWoiOhA

(also if you didn't watch/listen to Le Batard last week, you missed THE WAIT IS OVER and the reason why Stugotz is bald)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The bottom line is most sports broadcasting is a losing battle and it costs a lot production wise. It wouldn't surprise me if NBC was taking a huge loss given the audiences are small and it broadcasts early as gently caress.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

soggybagel posted:

The bottom line is most sports broadcasting is a losing battle and it costs a lot production wise. It wouldn't surprise me if NBC was taking a huge loss given the audiences are small and it broadcasts early as gently caress.

The stuff they stream is the British broadcast they don't even put NBC graphics or score bugs over it

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

(also if you didn't watch/listen to Le Batard last week, you missed THE WAIT IS OVER and the reason why Stugotz is bald)

the fact stephen a smith's rants hijacked those two stogotz events is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

The stuff they stream is the British broadcast they don't even put NBC graphics or score bugs over it

And a fair bit of the commentary is done in studio from the states I believe