Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs calling up Zagunis who's been having a breakout season in AAA. Wonder how much of this is about helping Schwarber and how much off it is showing of Zagunis as a possible trade chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's probably about trying to win the division and Schwarber certainly isn't helping the team win games at this point in time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Schwarbs is my boy and I hate to see him sent down but it's for the best.

Frankly not surprising seeing as except for 4 games and a pH appearance in the ws he didn't face ml pitching for an entire year. If he didn't have the ws he had he'd have started there.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 22, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ShortThug posted:

Schwarber sent down.

Starting to smell a little...busty in here.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Cubs calling up Zagunis who's been having a breakout season in AAA. Wonder how much of this is about helping Schwarber and how much off it is showing of Zagunis as a possible trade chip.

I imagine there's a healthy amount of "Well, this guy's 24 years old and still in AAA, might as well see what he's got" in there.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Timby posted:

I imagine there's a healthy amount of "Well, this guy's 24 years old and still in AAA, might as well see what he's got" in there.

I like the part where he has more walks in AAA this season so far than Javy Baez does in his MLB career

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Probably a lot of "hey this guy gets on base at an extraordinary rate at all the levels he has been at" too. I wouldn't really call it a breakout season, as he did pretty much the same thing OPS wise in 2016 as well. Also he was a 3rd round draft pick, so he is obviously highly thought of with the Cubs. Also, 24 years old isn't "old" for AAA. Also he's the Cubs 6th ranked prospect.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Can someone who is smarter at Baseball explain to me what is going on with Kyle Schwarber? His K% and BB% are all in line with his 2015 numbers, except his BABIP is 100 points lower. His iso is also considerably lower, but if he can't hit the ball into play, that would explain that a bit too. Is he just being shiftted to death or what?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can someone who is smarter at Baseball explain to me what is going on with Kyle Schwarber? His K% and BB% are all in line with his 2015 numbers, except his BABIP is 100 points lower. His iso is also considerably lower, but if he can't hit the ball into play, that would explain that a bit too. Is he just being shiftted to death or what?

He seems to be getting under the ball more. Going from 2015, his ground ball rate is exactly the same. His flyballs are up 5%, and line drives are down 5%, and his infield fly balls have gone from 7% to 14%. Just seems like he's popping the ball up a lot more. His SO and BB/K are nearly identical from 2015. This is actually a good time to evaluate because in 2015 he had 273 PA, right now he's at 261, so pretty close.

Edit: He's also pulling the ball about 2% less than 2015, but it could be that teams weren't shifting on him back then. I don't really remember.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

My guess is he's tried to adjust his swing to try and go the other way to beat the shift but in doing so he's making a lot more bad contact than he used to, resulting in more popups and harmless fly balls to left-center (nb I haven't watched him that much this season so this is mainly from Fangraphs numbers).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Armitage posted:

Puig pimping out his homer is #2000 on the list of things the Mets need to worry about.

This season should be proof that Dan Warthen should have been fired years ago but instead he's gonna have his number retired when he retires in about 35,000 years.

But no he teaches a lovely slider

*goes back in time to 1 minute before posting in the Meet The Teams thread to show myself this post*

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/SamMillerBB/status/877904060724125697

Fun ridiculous tidbit from that piece: ZIPS gives Bellinger a 54% chance of hitting 500 home runs. That is absurd.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

ShortThug posted:

Schwarber sent down.

Beeeeeffeeeeeeeyyyyyy Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Probably a lot of "hey this guy gets on base at an extraordinary rate at all the levels he has been at" too. I wouldn't really call it a breakout season, as he did pretty much the same thing OPS wise in 2016 as well. Also he was a 3rd round draft pick, so he is obviously highly thought of with the Cubs. Also, 24 years old isn't "old" for AAA. Also he's the Cubs 6th ranked prospect.

All good points, the first article I read about him today seemed to imply he was having a power breakout, but his SLG/OPS are indeed inline with what he did in AAA last year so w/e.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The shift is certainly part of it. He beat the shift in 2015 mostly by pounding balls through it very hard, but looking at fangraphs his Hard Contact% is down (32% vs 39.7% in 2015) and his Soft Contact% is up (22.4% vs 15.4%) which makes it really hard to beat the shift on the ground.

The other thing though is that Kyle's 2015 numbers are inflated a bit by his hot start. He went 15-69 (~.217 AVG) from September 1st to the season's end and really, really struggled against LHP, which is more in line with what we've seen this season. He was stupidly good in the Cubs two previous post seasons though, and since he was knocked out of the 2016 regular season more or less immediately his post season results stick out the most.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

He seems to be getting under the ball more. Going from 2015, his ground ball rate is exactly the same. His flyballs are up 5%, and line drives are down 5%, and his infield fly balls have gone from 7% to 14%. Just seems like he's popping the ball up a lot more. His SO and BB/K are nearly identical from 2015. This is actually a good time to evaluate because in 2015 he had 273 PA, right now he's at 261, so pretty close.

Edit: He's also pulling the ball about 2% less than 2015, but it could be that teams weren't shifting on him back then. I don't really remember.

He's also swinging for the fences almost every time he goes up to the plate. Especially after he came out of the gate struggling, he very clearly started pressing and it's resulted in some incredibly ugly swings.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

He was stupidly good in the Cubs two previous post seasons though, and since he was knocked out of the 2016 regular season more or less immediately his post season results stick out the most.

He has 50 career postseason ABs. His postseason numbers are literally meaningless.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^^^
I'm aware of that, I'm saying that for fans (and sadly maybe for the FO too) the thing that stuck out the most going into this year was his post season success, because he's had so little regular season playing time.

Timby posted:

He's also swinging for the fences almost every time he goes up to the plate.

This applies to the entire lineup.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ShortThug posted:

Schwarber sent down.

He'll soon be back, and with greater numbers.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Berzerker posted:

Until this afternoon :getin:

josh donaldson not playing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Schwarber's Scale posted:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

josh donaldson not playing.

He was in the lineup to DH, when did they scratch him?

Edit: oh, poo poo.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/877939622503776256

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

He was stupidly good in the Cubs two previous post seasons though, and since he was knocked out of the 2016 regular season more or less immediately his post season results stick out the most.

Stupidly good as in he hit 6 singles and a double in the WS last year?

He certainly did mash in the 15 PA's he got against PIT and STL though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

shadok posted:

He was in the lineup to DH, when did they scratch him?

Edit: oh, poo poo.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/877939622503776256

I've got a five dollar bet going that the jays go the entire season under .500 to somewhat temper my inevitable disappointment each time they fail to hit that mark.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is intense speculation but everything about Schwarber's numbers suggests that pitchers are giving him more high hard stuff and he's not been effectively catching up to it. Is there data to support this theory?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

This is intense speculation but everything about Schwarber's numbers suggests that pitchers are giving him more high hard stuff and he's not been effectively catching up to it. Is there data to support this theory?

The high fastball has been killing the Cubs all season. Cubs have a lot of good low ball hitters, Happ and Schwarber in particular crush pitches low in the zone but can't catch up to high heat to save their lives. It's this year's version of the low and away slider.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

Compared to 2015, yeah, they are actually giving him more high stuff.

2017:

2015:

He's still getting plenty of stuff out of the plate, though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

His pitch types seen are almost exactly the same as in 2015 so he's not seeing many more fastballs, though they might be a lot higher in the zone than they were before. His pitch values are down across the board, with the exception of curveballs, which does suggest that any adjustment he's made is helping him hit lower, breaking pitches but possibly hurting his ability to hit high fastballs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

Is Mike Fiers good now? My eyes tell me he's at least above average of late, but it's hard to trust it.

He has now officially been really good for the same number of games as he was really bad to start the season

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Nice

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 22, 2017

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I will miss Stephen Vogt, even though he is bad now. I hope he lands with a contender and becomes good again for them.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bawfuls posted:

Tonight, Yoenis Cespedes lectured Yasiel Puig about pimping/admiring a home run for too long.

That is a thing that happened in real life.

edit: I hope davecrazy was watching and furious

I'm sick of people lecturing Puig.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Yoenis Cespedes is just racist against Cubaaaaahhhgggghhhhggh

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

https://twitter.com/SamMillerBB/status/877904060724125697

Fun ridiculous tidbit from that piece: ZIPS gives Bellinger a 54% chance of hitting 500 home runs. That is absurd.

My brain is nowhere near ready to think about this.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I want this same article but for Aaron Judge

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My main joy in watching baseball for about 25 years, was watching pitchers. I know they have always been a whiny mass of phobias who live in mortal terror of the serious arm damage they're all going to inevitably get. I know it has always been the case that a lot of them are poo poo-stupid. These are things I just accepted about them.

But when did it become the case that bat flip/watch HR=bad, and DISRESPECTING THE GAME MISTER, but happy fistpumping stomp-walking off the mound while screaming for joy after a big strikeout was their inalienable right? Especially when strikeouts WAY outnumber home runs? And when the pitcher always has and always will enjoy a much larger degree of success than the hitter, in the duel?

Because at some point, they have collectively turned into a bunch of whiny twats. I got no more sympathy for blown elbow ligaments, line-drive fractured skulls, or anything that ever happens to them. gently caress every one of them forever. They are a disgrace and I wish TJ surgery didn't exist so every single one of them could spend the rest of their lives living in depression about not being to lift their arm high enough to comb their hair, before finally committing suicide.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Hey Astros fans how interested are you in trading for Hunter Strickland?

He has a 2.08 ERA and 26 SO in 26 IP but some Royals players homered off of him in 2014 so watch out

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If he were a LHP I'd say yes, he and McCann would get along

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

I want this same article but for Aaron Judge
Aaron Judge is 4 years older than Cody Bellinger. That depresses his career counting stat projections significantly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It would be cool to watch his whole career if it went on that track but I can't with good conscience root for someone to knock Barrold off of the top of the heap

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrMojok posted:

My main joy in watching baseball for about 25 years, was watching pitchers. I know they have always been a whiny mass of phobias who live in mortal terror of the serious arm damage they're all going to inevitably get. I know it has always been the case that a lot of them are poo poo-stupid. These are things I just accepted about them.

But when did it become the case that bat flip/watch HR=bad, and DISRESPECTING THE GAME MISTER, but happy fistpumping stomp-walking off the mound while screaming for joy after a big strikeout was their inalienable right? Especially when strikeouts WAY outnumber home runs? And when the pitcher always has and always will enjoy a much larger degree of success than the hitter, in the duel?

Because at some point, they have collectively turned into a bunch of whiny twats. I got no more sympathy for blown elbow ligaments, line-drive fractured skulls, or anything that ever happens to them. gently caress every one of them forever. They are a disgrace and I wish TJ surgery didn't exist so every single one of them could spend the rest of their lives living in depression about not being to lift their arm high enough to comb their hair, before finally committing suicide.

As a fellow lifelong baseball fan and lover of pitching, who has spent his entire life listening to retired pitchers talk and watching current pitchers act I'm pretty sure its always been the case that pitchers are hypocritical self righteous assholes who think you should never watch a 450 ft home run to see if it leaves the stadium but think its totally ok to but a 95 MPH fastball under a batter's chin if he offends you.

But they probably got more sensitive when ESPN started putting the home runs in Top 10 highlight reels and absolutely intolerable when people started to just get phone updates of video of pitchers getting owned that they can watch over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pitchers get a billion times more emotional than hitters when coming out ahead in a big moment so it's hilarious that they get so pissed off at bat flips and watching homeruns

e: Like that video of Scherzer cursing out the batter under his breath before the pitch is him being a high intensity gamer, if a batter was doing the same and the pitcher noticed he gets a fastball in the earhole

(Make no mistake, I think that Scherzer thing owns)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 23, 2017

• Locked thread