Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

nfl players just can't make it in rugby league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao NSW fails to function when Tedesco gets taken off.

Maroons will take note of this and Game 3 will be a cakewalk

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good work playing stupid NSW

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Feel like Wallace and Napa really stood up, Hess didn't really do his Hess things but he was solid as well. We're going to be totally hosed next year when JT retires though, no way in hell does Milford make that same try saving tackle on Frizell in the first half

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Thought I might as well post this since I got some incredible support in here last year. It's extra apt considering last night's mess.

Once again I'm taking my life into my hands and risking insanity by doing Dry July this year. For the month of July I'll be alcohol-free, which considering the number of football games I'll be watching and State of Origin series NSW will be losing will be a very painful experience. I also have a number of birthday parties and work trips so not having a drink will likely lead to me living out some sort of existential nightmare (or just getting stuck listening to the most boring person in the universe since I won't have an easy out to escape). One way or another, this should be a wonderful experience for everyone who isn't me - why wouldn't you want to be a part?

Any help you could provide would be extremely welcome; all funds go to help people with cancer in a variety of ways (like therapies, comfort items, hospital furnishings and more). For more information on how the funds are used, please see https://www.dryjuly.com/tagged_posts.

The link is at https://www.dryjuly.com/users/peter-thorburn-2 and thanks in advance to anyone (and then curses in advance shortly thereafter)!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/johnathan-thurston-out-for-the-season-reports-20170623-gwx0j6.html

suddenly feeling more positive about origin again

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Yeah, sucks for him to go out like that but wowee we're in with a good shot at the series now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Yeah, sucks for him to go out like that but wowee we're in with a good shot at the series now.

Especially with Boyd also out.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Bring in Ash Taylor imo

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Why is foran out?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MiniSune posted:

Why is foran out?
Quad injury

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jesus the Ti***s are loving awful.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ili posted:

Jesus the Ti***s are loving awful.
titans or tigers?

or both?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey so I finally caught a replay of Origin 2 and I'm a little confused. As an American I didn't grow up watching this particular twist on the "watch large, stupid men injure each other up and down the field" concept, but I've been watching rugby league very consistently for the last five years and thought I knew the rules pretty well.

Yet, in the game on Wednesday, on two separate occasions a pair of QLD players quite obviously blocked one of their teammates by moving into the path of a chasing defender, watching him carefully, and then slamming into him with their shoulders, something I was sure was not allowed in either code of rugby. However, neither of them was called a penalty or even remarked on by either ref.

Is there a rule I missed somewhere?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Apollodorus posted:

Hey so I finally caught a replay of Origin 2 and I'm a little confused. As an American I didn't grow up watching this particular twist on the "watch large, stupid men injure each other up and down the field" concept, but I've been watching rugby league very consistently for the last five years and thought I knew the rules pretty well.

Yet, in the game on Wednesday, on two separate occasions a pair of QLD players quite obviously blocked one of their teammates by moving into the path of a chasing defender, watching him carefully, and then slamming into him with their shoulders, something I was sure was not allowed in either code of rugby. However, neither of them was called a penalty or even remarked on by either ref.

Is there a rule I missed somewhere?

Yeah that's crept into the game in the past few years, always somewhat of a grey are as to what's legal or not but if they're running towards the general area of the ball it's usually allowed to play on

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
In the first instance, Boyd obviously shoved the would-be tackler out of the way, though--and in the second you can see Cronk stop, look over his shoulder, and then step right in front of the chaser.

They weren't in any position to catch the ball, they were looking at the defensive player and deliberately impeding him.

I can't see that as anything but a block, i.e. taking the man out. But if it's what refs think the spectators want to see...

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 24, 2017

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Apollodorus posted:

In the first instance, Boyd obviously shoved the would-be tackler out of the way, though--and in the second you can see Crook stop, look over his shoulder, and then step right in front of the chaser.

They weren't in any position to catch the ball, they were looking at the defensive player and deliberately impeding him.

I can't see that as anything but a block, i.e. taking the man out. But if it's what refs think the spectators want to see...

Don't recall the incidents but it's either poor reffing, or the unwritten code of more lenient reffing for origin games

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Origin is refereed differently than club games. They're much more lenient with "aggressive physicality".

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 24, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Poor refereeing in the NRL?

Say it ain't so!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Those incidents were clearly penalties as well as later when a nsw player clotheslined a qld chaser off the ball

No whistles were blown

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Origin is refereed differently than club games. They're much more lenient with "aggressive physicality".

Even now the commentators get upset when a penalty is given for anything less than literal murder in an Origin game.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Retarded commentators in an nrl game?

Say it ain't so!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They should have been given penalties

in Origin you typically have to be good enough to beat the ref as well to win the game

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Benji marshall is looking brilliant tonight.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Benji marshall is looking brilliant tonight.

what year is this quote from

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Puckish Rogue posted:

what year is this quote from

Circa Team Anasta

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Birdstrike posted:

Those incidents were clearly penalties as well as later when a nsw player clotheslined a qld chaser off the ball

No whistles were blown

Oh yeah I heard the commentators say something about the NSW clothesline, but I think I was looking away from the screen to stop the cat from vomiting on the carpet again.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Tyson Frizell can be pretty proud that his only origin achievement to date is ending the career of an immortal

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you are talking about Thurston, he came into the game with an already hosed shoulder because Queensland got desperate

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Holy poo poo this dragons meltdown is the best thing in the world

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
never know when the Knights are going to switch on

hopefully we go with it and Ross Dog get's in the Knights record books :)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
knowing us we'll find a way to lose

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Case in point

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
never get the 50-50 calls

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

What the gently caress was fifty fifty? It was a clear strip and the knights got hosed. Feel so bad for them.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh yeah that was clear, i'm talking about all the other ones, like Dugan just hitting one of our guys in the face with his forearm and then getting a penalty for it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that wasn't 50-50 either but you get what I mean

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
second forearm in the game and no repercussions for it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Knights and Tigers playing for the spoon next week :sotw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Another solid game by Manly. I still don't know who half the team are anymore but it seems to be working :v:

• Locked thread