Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ARMS: why are items a thing in the grand prix. please stop dropping the bone-healing juice on hedlok. please stop that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

surprised this wasn't darude

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

Miitopia: is not out yet and the demo seems to only have one save slot. i really hope it has two or three at launch so that my brother can also play. if you have a physical and a digital copy of a game on the same 3ds, is it possible to use the cart for your save, and the digital version for your sibling's save?

Just make a secondary profile on your system.

e: or maybe you can only do that on Wii U.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Guy Mann posted:

It's Arkham combat with a character who is too slow and clunky to consistently dodge and counter attacks even when the player's timing is on point, which kind of defeats the entire purpose since Arkham is all about using agility and timing to control crowds of baddies and rack up crazy combos. I know some people praised it for making Max feel like a bruiser but it still sucked losing stronghold fights over and over because hits connected after you tried to dodge or the crummy targeting meant your single shotgun blast went into a random grunt instead of the war drummer you were pressing toward, even if that was the developer's intention there are games like Sleeping Dogs that adapted that combat system in a way that is actually responsive and fun to play while still more grounded and brutal and without crazy conicbook backflips and a dozen different gadgets and weapons.

Mad Max can be beaten without upgrading him or using any items at all, it just takes practice. Roll a lot more, it has invincibility frames and you can reposition easily. Learn and use your moves, the melee disarm one is huge.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The move where Max picks up and bodyslams a guy, which occurs in fury mode and you cant control other than forcibly pointing Max at a new enemy after every punch and even then that doesnt always work, is basically a guarantee that youll get hit during it. The animation doesnt stun enemies/stall their attack until the damage is dealt, so the lengthy windup is plenty of time for an enemy to punch you with no way to counter or cancel the animation.

I dont have the long combo chain challenges because of that one move.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
What the gently caress even is Destiny's story?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
a wizard from the moon came to earth and told peter dinklage that nolan north is replacing him, so peter dinklage got angry and did some bullshit, now you have to go kill him

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

spit on my clit posted:

a wizard from the moon came to earth and told peter dinklage that nolan north is replacing him, so peter dinklage got angry and did some bullshit, now you have to go kill him

That sounds like the greatest story of all time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
All Peter had to do was learn to act without using his face and body. Surely his voice should be enough? There should be a workshop for actors struggling with Voice Acting called How to Act like You Don't Exist :v:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd kill for a videogame-adaptation of Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. You try taking revenge on the seven dudes who wronged you while at the same time have to contend with your own treacherous band of killers.

:neck beard: Morveer :neck beard:

After seeing the trailer for the new Shadow of Mordor I can't help but think the biggest thing holding the series back is that it's a Lord of The Rings game. I'm not some Tolkien purist, I just think it's very limiting. All you really have are the standard elves,dwarves,and humans. I'd love to se it as it's own fantasy setting that they can do what they want .

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

That sounds like the greatest story of all time.

Split this over 45 hours and then drop every sub plot that gets introduced like time travel and youve got Destiny.

The developers admitted in an interview about the second game and why the villains got retconned that they had no clue who the villains they made up controlling the enemies were so they just made it a catchall name for enemies in general.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

People complained about modern games having too much infodump text and unskippable cutscenes and worldbuilding codexes that you have to pause the game to read so they explicitly put all the story stuff online as a separate thing for people consume at their leisure if they chose to and then people complained that there wasn't enough story in the game and that it didn't explain anything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guy Mann posted:

People complained about modern games having too much infodump text and unskippable cutscenes and worldbuilding codexes that you have to pause the game to read so they explicitly put all the story stuff online as a separate thing for people consume at their leisure if they chose to and then people complained that there wasn't enough story in the game and that it didn't explain anything.

Shoulda gone the Mass Effect route.
Have incidental dialogue give flavor and then an encyclopedia of text dump in a menu.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

All Peter had to do was learn to act without using his face and body. Surely his voice should be enough? There should be a workshop for actors struggling with Voice Acting called How to Act like You Don't Exist :v:

Considering all the other problems the game had I would bet that any issues with his voice acting were down to the fact that he was reading his line with absolutely no context and couldn't figure out how they were supposed to be done.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

So they explicitly put all the story stuff online as a separate thing for people consume at their leisure if they chose to

Which was duuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb, because they still had popups like [CODEX ENTRY: WHATEVER UNLOCKED] and for a long while I was just getting annoyed like "Well where the gently caress is my codex."

Then someone told me it was a dumb thing 100% removed from the actual game and I was kind of blown away by the thought of such a bad design.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

Like, all they need to do is say you're a soldier or merc doing jobs in space and maybe explain some basic space politics so you know which dudes you're shooting.

I'm at Light Level 14 and have encountered two factions that are supposed to be associated with Dark that are also fighting each other, and now a third Dark faction that's so Dark the other Dark factions can't stand them have appeared.

I think it's funny how the game is going for this high fantasy space opera feel and yet every faction has the most generic-rear end name. Like Halo used Old Testament terms to give character to what's basically an ooh-rah Space Marine story with high-falutin religious extremists as enemies, but here it's so bland.

Also, I don't understand the point of smelting my gear. Will I meet some vendor who can forge new items with the crafting parts or do I use those as currency to upgrade my weapons to have betters stats? I really don't know if the game told me about that or not.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Action Tortoise posted:

Like, all they need to do is say you're a soldier or merc doing jobs in space and maybe explain some basic space politics so you know which dudes you're shooting.

I'm at Light Level 14 and have encountered two factions that are supposed to be associated with Dark that are also fighting each other, and now a third Dark faction that's so Dark the other Dark factions can't stand them have appeared.

I think it's funny how the game is going for this high fantasy space opera feel and yet every faction has the most generic-rear end name. Like Halo used Old Testament terms to give character to what's basically an ooh-rah Space Marine story with high-falutin religious extremists as enemies, but here it's so bland.

Also, I don't understand the point of smelting my gear. Will I meet some vendor who can forge new items with the crafting parts or do I use those as currency to upgrade my weapons to have betters stats? I really don't know if the game told me about that or not.

Yes the plot is very dumb but can you imagine if the different factions had names like Eliksni and whatever the Hive's real name is? Their names as is is super descriptive of their role in the Universe (the Fallen are aliens who used to live under the traveller like humans do now but it abandoned them boning them over, the Hive is a group of horrible alien zombies, the Vex are robots that have messed with time and space so much they wrote themselves as a constant in the universe, the Covenant are military).

I totally forgot how you used the armor and weapon parts but I do know you can trade them in for "credit" with the various factions hanging around in the big main city

And yeah they totally should've had random codex entries floating around during the interminable loading sequences

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Calaveron posted:

Yes the plot is very dumb but can you imagine if the different factions had names like Eliksni and whatever the Hive's real name is? Their names as is is super descriptive of their role in the Universe (the Fallen are aliens who used to live under the traveller like humans do now but it abandoned them boning them over, the Hive is a group of horrible alien zombies, the Vex are robots that have messed with time and space so much they wrote themselves as a constant in the universe, the Covenant are military).

I totally forgot how you used the armor and weapon parts but I do know you can trade them in for "credit" with the various factions hanging around in the big main city

And yeah they totally should've had random codex entries floating around during the interminable loading sequences

Ah, so the terms are like Earth translations for their purpose rather than their actual names? That makes a lot more sense.

They recycled the Covenant as a faction name? Weird.

I thought the Ghost would be annoying but I'm liking the buddy cop rapport he has with your character. It also helps that I got that one skin where it looks like a little devil with paper horns and tail Scotch-taped on the frame.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Wolfenstein:TNO has a 40GB download what the gently caress??

I think someone in this thread mentioned it before but like, what the gently caress?? I'm on an Australian internet connection, this is going to take all day.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Gitro posted:

Wolfenstein:TNO has a 40GB download what the gently caress??

I think someone in this thread mentioned it before but like, what the gently caress?? I'm on an Australian internet connection, this is going to take all day.

At least it's not Doom

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Piell posted:

Also Saint's Row 2 had the best clothing system in the series because it had layers. For a thing dragging games down: SR3 and SR4 didn't have layered clothing so there wasn't nearly as much opportunity for playing dressup
Also, more shops. Finding unique customisation items in the mall or the caverns gift shop or the high-end jewellery shop was fantastic. In 3 and 4 there are only four shops, and the stand-alone character creator gives you access to all the non-DLC clothes right off the bat anyway. Shopping was fun in SR2, and it isn't in the later ones.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I started playing Pillars of Eternity again after picking up the DLC on sale and I'm still really not a fan of the spot the hidden objects mode. It slows you down and there's basically no reason to not always be in it. You never know when there's some hidden stuff, and some areas are trapped and it's basically mandatory for them. Just roll it into the default move mode.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Action Tortoise posted:

Ah, so the terms are like Earth translations for their purpose rather than their actual names? That makes a lot more sense.

They recycled the Covenant as a faction name? Weird.

I thought the Ghost would be annoying but I'm liking the buddy cop rapport he has with your character. It also helps that I got that one skin where it looks like a little devil with paper horns and tail Scotch-taped on the frame.

Whoops, Cabal, not Covenant

Also there are beta footage where Peter Dinklage was actually doing a very good job as your companion dodecahedron so his shittiness in the actual game was intentional apparently

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Action Tortoise posted:

As you use your gear it also levels up, and eventually unlocks whatever perks it has. But to actually turn the perks on to get the benefits you have to pay some resources, the weapon parts and planetary materials et all. However, right now you're very low level and your guns are crappy blues at best and will be replaced soon, so don't spend any resources on them.
Dismantle gear that you have outleveled or just don't like. It's the equivalent of selling it to a vendor in other games.

This is separate from infusion, which you won't be doing for a while. But infusion is to take a piece of gear with high light level that you don't want, and then give a piece of gear with low light the higher light value. This doesn't change it's actual combat stats or perks or anything, like it will have the same accuracy and fire rate and all, it just means you can take it into more difficult content.

Like if you had a 300 light level sniper you really liked, but you want to do the raid which is LL 380 or w/e, the sniper is too weak. So you take a LL 380 shotgun you don't want, and infuse it into the sniper (which costs some resources), now the sniper is LL380 and raid ready.

But like I said, none of the gear you have right now is going to be worth infusing or really upgrading because you're going to be getting better stuff soon. In fact you can only infuse legendary (purple) or exotic (yellow) gear.

but yeah that's one of the big things dragging Destiny down. There's like a billion currencies and the upgrade system has been through a few overhauls and and it was never great. It's much better overall now, but it's still poorly explained.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Jun 23, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So that games weapon system is Persona's infusing system? It sounds very similar. What you get a social link with a character that gives you up to +5000 experience to a fused Sniper Rifle :v:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mazerunner posted:

As you use your gear it also levels up, and eventually unlocks whatever perks it has. But to actually turn the perks on to get the benefits you have to pay some resources, the weapon parts and planetary materials et all. However, right now you're very low level and your guns are crappy blues at best and will be replaced soon, so don't spend any resources on them.
Dismantle gear that you have outleveled or just don't like. It's the equivalent of selling it to a vendor in other games.

This is separate from infusion, which you won't be doing for a while. But infusion is to take a piece of gear with high light level that you don't want, and then give a piece of gear with low light the higher light value. This doesn't change it's actual combat stats or perks or anything, like it will have the same accuracy and fire rate and all, it just means you can take it into more difficult content.

Like if you had a 300 light level sniper you really liked, but you want to do the raid which is LL 380 or w/e, the sniper is too weak. So you take a LL 380 shotgun you don't want, and infuse it into the sniper (which costs some resources), now the sniper is LL380 and raid ready.

But like I said, none of the gear you have right now is going to be worth infusing or really upgrading because you're going to be getting better stuff soon. In fact you can only infuse legendary (purple) or exotic (yellow) gear.

but yeah that's one of the big things dragging Destiny down. There's like a billion currencies and the upgrade system has been through a few overhauls and and it was never great. It's much better overall now, but it's still poorly explained.

:prepop: huh

well, thanks for shedding some light on that.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I played Destiny when it first came out and then like 2 years in and the voice of the ghost doesn't sound any better or worse.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gitro posted:

I started playing Pillars of Eternity again after picking up the DLC on sale and I'm still really not a fan of the spot the hidden objects mode. It slows you down and there's basically no reason to not always be in it. You never know when there's some hidden stuff, and some areas are trapped and it's basically mandatory for them. Just roll it into the default move mode.

A bunch of games seem to make this mistake. You have normal vision mode and "can actually see poo poo" mode, and the latter comes with some "drawback" that mostly just annoys you, like making the game look ugly and desaturated or playing annoying sound effects while it's on.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Triarii posted:

A bunch of games seem to make this mistake. You have normal vision mode and "can actually see poo poo" mode, and the latter comes with some "drawback" that mostly just annoys you, like making the game look ugly and desaturated or playing annoying sound effects while it's on.

Persona 5 did this and it's really goddamn annoying. I have to keep using third eye in palaces to spot loot and it plays a voiceline + applies a graphical filter + reduces the music volume. Just let me see loot and things by default!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

Which was duuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb, because they still had popups like [CODEX ENTRY: WHATEVER UNLOCKED] and for a long while I was just getting annoyed like "Well where the gently caress is my codex."

Then someone told me it was a dumb thing 100% removed from the actual game and I was kind of blown away by the thought of such a bad design.

Exactly, that's the actual complaint people have. Bury all the exposition you want in the codex, just don't make me then loop through some dumb and needlessly over-designed hoops to get at that information.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Triarii posted:

It means that the most efficient way to play Baldur's Gate and similar games is to use your heroes like a herd of pigs sent to clear a minefield so you can disarm the traps they set off quickly after reloading. Which is both annoying and also ruins MAH ImMeRsIoN

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
On a related note, I made a stealth character in Pillars of Eternity so I could scout ahead, find traps and lay ambushes and things, but the game has an annoying habit of forcing you into a conversation before fights, so all my careful sneaking and position gets ruined by some stupid cutscene teleport nonsense :mad:

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I'm late to the Batman Arkham Origins chat, but my favourite weirdly bad thing about the game is that the ending credits are like 40 goddamn minutes long.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

On a related note, I made a stealth character in Pillars of Eternity so I could scout ahead, find traps and lay ambushes and things, but the game has an annoying habit of forcing you into a conversation before fights, so all my careful sneaking and position gets ruined by some stupid cutscene teleport nonsense :mad:
These kind of games all do that, I remember in Neverwinter Nights 2 you'd have a ton of conversations leading into combat and they placed you right up in the opponent's face, so god help you if you were a rogue or caster.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Triarii posted:

Mechwarrior Online did this. You have three vision modes, normal, thermal and light amplification. The original thermal vision mode was pretty just the default Crysis thermal mode, and was better than either normal or light amplification in the vast majority of situations. So they changed it from a colourscale view to a monochrome one and cut the effective range down to a fraction of what it was and now it barely has any use at all.

Also I guess the Batman Arkham games are the ur-example of this. most of the time you might as well be in detective vision mode as it's way more useful, but it does make the game look worse.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Fil5000 posted:

Also I guess the Batman Arkham games are the ur-example of this. most of the time you might as well be in detective vision mode as it's way more useful, but it does make the game look worse.

Assassin's Creed did it first and had some limitations that made it impossible to use it constantly. You could only use the original Eagle Vision when standing still and at full health(it might have been first person as well, so no peeking around corners), so it was only really useful when planning your approach and not as the de facto default vision mode.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hel posted:

Assassin's Creed did it first and had some limitations that made it impossible to use it constantly. You could only use the original Eagle Vision when standing still and at full health(it might have been first person as well, so no peeking around corners), so it was only really useful when planning your approach and not as the de facto default vision mode.

Yeah, I meant that Batman is the first one where you could pretty much use it all the time with no gameplay mechanic issues.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, I meant that Batman is the first one where you could pretty much use it all the time with no gameplay mechanic issues.

It's why they made Detective Vision shittier in the sequels - everyone always had it on so no one actually appreciated all the detail they put into their environment art.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Action Tortoise posted:

A long long time ago this magic space orb called the Traveler started roaming the universe, uplifting sapient races to be spacefarers gifted with limited immortality. In the very recent past it uplifted the four-armed race known to humans as the Fallen. Unfortunately, there are some space shrimp that the Traveler passed by several centuries ago that are still pissed about being passed over, and they defiled their very existence by dedicating their lives to the worm gods that taught them the sword-logic. This 'sword-logic' is like another set of physics entirely, that can encroach on the reality of the "real" universe - and in addition, it means that the evil shrimp people (who are now like big evil crustacean spacemen) can only be truly killed in the sword-logic world. Anyway the evil shrimp men assault the home planet of the Fallen, who are horribly horribly beaten - like basically their entire homeworld is completely lost. Where's the Traveler during all this? Who the gently caress knows - at the first hint that The Taken King (aka Sir Evil Shrimpman) and his fleets were approaching, the Traveler hosed off with a warp jump to parts unknown...at least to the Fallen. We, of course, know that it went to Earth to uplift humanity.

This...caused some problems. It didn't take too long for the remnants of the Fallen to track us down on Earth and begin assaulting us. The Traveler offered its protection, of course, but the Fallen already had the gift of the Traveler's light. Meanwhile, Guardians began testing weapons and playing wargames on Mars, much to the chagrin of the angry, mostly-peaceful Cabal already living there and now under constant assault. The Vex are off on Venus doing Vex things, like they do.

Suddenly, the Hive - the fleet of evil shrimp men - shows up. The Traveler is about to nope right the gently caress out of the solar system, but a "warmind" (giant supercomputer with almost unimaginable power) named Rasputin notices the charge in the Traveler's warp cores. Millions of calculations are run - Rasputin realizes that when the Taken King arrives in the solar system, humanity is hosed if the Traveler leaves, but might have a chance of survival if the Traveler is deactivated but still in geostationary orbit around Earth. In a split second, without asking any of humanity for input, Rasputin fires the entire nuclear arsenal of Earth at the Traveler before it can escape. The shattered pieces of the Traveler become Ghosts, the Traveler groans and dies, and the Guardians are in deep poo poo. Nobody alive really knows that Rasputin did this - in the act of firing the missiles the warmind also intentionally crippled itself, so people couldn't figure out what it did from the datalogs.

Calaveron posted:

Also there are beta footage where Peter Dinklage was actually doing a very good job as your companion dodecahedron so his shittiness in the actual game was intentional apparently

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I played Destiny when it first came out and then like 2 years in and the voice of the ghost doesn't sound any better or worse.

Dinklage's snarky deadpan Ghost was good and I'll never understand the people that think that yet-another-Nolan-North voice is somehow better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
It'd be nice if TNO's loading screens didn't last for forever so I could actually get past the prologue. It crashed twice when I tried to change mouse sensitivity from the main screen, once when I changed ironsights to toggle and had another infinite load screen before the intro cutscene that fixed itself on restart. It's loving ridiculous.

The prologue's pretty cool, but holy gently caress the unskippable dialogue parts are annoying after the first time (try number 5 if I feel like being awake after copying the game to my other harddrive!)

Oh yeah, and the save icon never goes away so i don't know if you're not supposed to have to restart the prologue from the very start, but I sure have been.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jun 23, 2017