Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skeletome posted:

I'm very excited for Sonic Mania and wanted to do a little competition for some free keys.

I'll give away three to start :

1 and 2 for the best 100 words defending your favourite of Sonic's friends that everyone else hates. Why is Big the Cat great? Why should we care about the Babylon Rogues? Any character outside of the Tails and Knuckles basically

I really like Shadow. His game blows, but he's an entertaining character who's easy to find uses for.

In SA2, he's good because his arc added some dramatic depth without clashing with the established tone of the game. This has been something that Sega has pretty much always struggled with, and I think SA2 is the one time they've managed to get it right. When taken less seriously, he's fun because he's a total wild card; he can work in any role the game puts him in, hero or villain, without his personality having to change at all to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'd play this game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wait, Elise is 26? Isn't Sonic a teenager? Yeeeeesh.

Hey, if Sonic really is 15, then I say congrats to him because he already has made it to like five times the normal lifespan of a hedgehog.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Skeletome posted:

I'm very excited for Sonic Mania and wanted to do a little competition for some free keys.

1 and 2 for the best 100 words defending your favourite of Sonic's friends that everyone else hates. Why is Big the Cat great? Why should we care about the Babylon Rogues? Any character outside of the Tails and Knuckles basically

3 goes to the goon that records the best Scratch laugh impression
Deadline of I dunno, Sunday?

Big the Cat is a very good and lovable character. While everyone else is fixated on conflict, he is but a peaceful fisherman who only wants to relax and have a good time. True, he's not afraid to get into a fight, but fighting is secondary. He'd rather be fishing. This doesn't make him uncaring. He wants his friends to be happy, because he can't be happy knowing that they're sad. His design is also quite endearing, and his theme music is highly underappreciated. I would play a fishing game starring him.

Also he's voiced by Jon St. Jon AKA Duke Nukem.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Skeletome posted:

3 goes to the goon that records the best Scratch laugh impression
Deadline of I dunno, Sunday?

Does the Werehog count as a Sonic Friend? Because Werehog hate is totally overblown- *jazz trumpets drown out my post* - and furthermore, I think that Sonic Unleashed would have been a better-received game if instead of turning into the Werehog, Sonic just turned into stone at night or some poo poo and you played a Knuckles during the night levels instead. Regardless, I think the beat-em-up mechanics worked competently and if the game had just done a better job framing it it would have gone a long way towards making Sonic Unleashed universally viewed as a good game instead of only viewed as a good game by Intelligent Sonic Fans, a group to which I definitely belong.

Basically Sonic Unleashed was good, gently caress haters get sun tokens

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mikedawson posted:

Big the Cat is a very good and lovable character. While everyone else is fixated on conflict, he is but a peaceful fisherman who only wants to relax and have a good time. True, he's not afraid to get into a fight, but fighting is secondary. He'd rather be fishing. This doesn't make him uncaring. He wants his friends to be happy, because he can't be happy knowing that they're sad. His design is also quite endearing, and his theme music is highly underappreciated. I would play a fishing game starring him.

Also he's voiced by Jon St. Jon AKA Duke Nukem.

Well he was anyway, currently he's voiced by Kyle Hebert (Adult Gohan in DBZ & Kamina in Gurren Lagann among other roles), though he hasn't had a chance to do more than a few voice clips so far. They should bring Big back one day, I kinda liked him as a character.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 21, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just started playing Unleashed and the werehog sections both freaking suck and are about three times too long. Like I see someone maybe thinking they were okay if they'd never played another action game in their lives but that's it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I feel like Sonic Unleashed would be a decent game if only you didn't have to collect those stupid tokens and the Werehog levels were about half as long as they are. The overlying problem with Sonic Unleashed is that Sega decided to pad out the game so you "get your money's worth", which is something Japanese games of the early 2000s did a lot. (And often still do.) I would prefer a game that's short and fun over one that's long and tedious. The Werehog would be perfectly fine in smaller doses but man do those levels drag on for too long.

I just got Sonic Lost World and it's another game that would be good with a few tweaks but has design flaws that make it miss the mark. The art design is great and the Sonic X-Treme worlds are really cool, but man Sonic's controls are just so sluggish and stiff. The game almost feels like a sequel to Sonic Labyrinth. His jump doesn't go nearly as far as it feels like it should, and he stops and starts on a dime with zero momentum. Instead of having a run button, he should have a walk button that makes him go slower when held down.

If it makes any sense, Sonic Unleashed and Lost World are better made games than the Sonic Adventure series because they're perfectly functional and aren't ugly, glitchy messes, but are ultimately way less enjoyable because whoever was in charge of those games has no idea what fun is. It's almost like a movie with a good cast, decent special effects and an okay script, but the director just sucks and brings the whole movie down.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fleetway Sonic the Comic had their own takes on the animals too; at first there were the literal versions of the animals, then somewhere down the line they anthropomorphised them.

Also Scratch and a couple of the Archie cast appeared verbatim in Sonic Spinball.
STC had it's own version of Sally Acorn that actually predated the SATAM Cartoon:

Sally is an obvious girl name that alliterates with Squirrel, and both versions are based on Ricky, the squirrel from the games, so it could have been a coincidence. It is worth noting that around the same time as her first appearance that STC printed some promotional material for an then in production cartoon:

She didn't appear very often but IIRC eventually she became a TV news reporter.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Early Sonic history is so weird and fascinating.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Middle and Late Sonic history are pretty weird too

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

remember that time sonic kissed a human

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Simsmagic posted:

remember that time sonic kissed a human

we're all trying to forget

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

XavierGenisi posted:

we're all trying to forget

But everyone thinks it's a totally original thing to joke about or do a Let's Play of, so we can't.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

TFRazorsaw posted:

But everyone thinks it's a totally original thing to joke about or do a Let's Play of, so we can't.

I'll stop joking about it when it stops being funny

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Simsmagic posted:

I'll stop joking about it when it stops being funny

Okay, you appear to be good to go then.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
God, what a bunch of idiot wannabes.

The human kissed Sonic, to bring him back to life. Christ, it's like you've never even studied that game. And you call yourselves fans...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you forget that game you're gonna forget its bad, and then one day you'll be walking into a GameStop, look at the shelf, and think "Hey, a Sonic? Never played this one before." and you'll take it home and guess what, you won't remember that the game doesn't have any autosave either or that the left side of that one loop is poop that you shouldn't touch.

Remembering things is good.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Detective No. 27 posted:

Early Sonic history is so weird and fascinating.

Such as having two completely different cartoons running at the same time, both produced by DiC and starring Jaleel White. I think that might be unprecedented.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

For sure it's pretty swag to be the dude your friends turn to when they had questions about Sonic.

The Hedgehog.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr Phillby posted:

STC had it's own version of Sally Acorn that actually predated the SATAM Cartoon:

Man, Tails' sister is really dumb.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 4, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some good thread reading, y'all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Source

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Basically Iizuka talks out his rear end PR-wise, which is nothing new. Anyone watching gameplay of Sonic 4 or the side-scrolling bits of Colors knew immediately they weren't bothering to go for a classic feel. Meanwhile, Mania's engine has physics literally reverse-engineered from the Genesis games and videos of it so far seem to speak for themselves.

Also good reading

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Chibs posted:

Basically Iizuka talks out his rear end PR-wise, which is nothing new. Anyone watching gameplay of Sonic 4 or the side-scrolling bits of Colors knew immediately they weren't bothering to go for a classic feel. Meanwhile, Mania's engine has physics literally reverse-engineered from the Genesis games and videos of it so far seem to speak for themselves.

I thought the discussion of Sonic 2D fans attacking 3D games was quite good, actually.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic's still 15 but it's his 26th birthday today. This is going to be a great year for him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Evil Eagle posted:

Sonic's still 15 but it's his 26th birthday today.

Much like a lot of his fans!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Something I noticed watching the E3 footage:

We know that the Act 2s of all of the classic stages in Mania are brand new, but take a look at this video of Chemical Plant Act 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52UGIIIp9WE

It's clearly a combination of both Chemical Plant Act 1 and Chemical Plant Act 2. I wonder if all of the Act 1s in Mania will work like this? That would be pretty cool but it would make for some rather long stages.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All the returning stages seem to have different layouts and aren't straight remakes which is nice.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I remember in Phantasy star universe they had an event for Sonics birthday with Chao garden music in the lobbies and you got statues if you said Happy Birthday Sonic! So the lobbies were just spammed and filled the entirety of your screen it was great

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTnggL1ZkFs

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's a Sonic-themed lobby in PSO2 right now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Evil Eagle posted:

Something I noticed watching the E3 footage:

We know that the Act 2s of all of the classic stages in Mania are brand new, but take a look at this video of Chemical Plant Act 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52UGIIIp9WE

It's clearly a combination of both Chemical Plant Act 1 and Chemical Plant Act 2. I wonder if all of the Act 1s in Mania will work like this? That would be pretty cool but it would make for some rather long stages.

It starts in Act 1, moves to a setpiece from Act 2 (the rising water), and then transitions into entirely new level design.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dabir posted:

There's a Sonic-themed lobby in PSO2 right now.

Can you please link the full Man Jackson story?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Augus posted:

It starts in Act 1, moves to a setpiece from Act 2 (the rising water), and then transitions into entirely new level design.

Yeah. Based on how act 2 starts I feel like we're probably going to have a miniboss at the end of every act 1 too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah. Based on how act 2 starts I feel like we're probably going to have a miniboss at the end of every act 1 too.

There's definitely one in Green Hill, so I'd imagine so.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Can you please link the full Man Jackson story?

:ssh: click my title

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Happy anniversay Sonic people. Here's a design for Eggman in his youth.

Source

More an "Eggboy", really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

PSO2 strikes me as a really weird game. What other game has you in a Sonic-themed lobby, then lets you attend an in-game idol concert, then lets you fight the Statue of Liberty riding a Sphinx, then lets you pretend you're playing a different game entirely by teleporting you to Urth's Fount in the South Shroud to fight Final Fantasy XIV's Odin?

Actually, I kinda wish the PSO2/FFXIV crossover went both ways. Just handwave whatever technologically-advanced poo poo PSO2 has that wound up on Hydaelyn with "the Allagans did it" (it's usually what they do anyway). No, we got Yo-Kai Watch stuff instead... (bleh...)