Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Makes power, breaks: the Rotsun story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

slothrop posted:

they dyno'd the 5.0 in the latest engine masters episode. It makes power.
Is the issue with the Rotsun that whatever ancillary stuff besides the engine just not capable of handling the power?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

Is the issue with the Rotsun that whatever ancillary stuff besides the engine just not capable of handling the power?

Load bearing zip ties.

(Their general answer to that car is to take a rando cheap engine, add a giant blower, and see how long it takes to blow up. Note that none of that involved work below the valve cover gasket.)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Only reason the Rotsun keeps coming back is everyone wants to see them suffer to do stuff to it since it was unsavable when they got it with all the rot.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

H110Hawk posted:

Load bearing zip ties.

(Their general answer to that car is to take a rando cheap engine, add a giant blower, and see how long it takes to blow up. Note that none of that involved work below the valve cover gasket.)
I meant with the last three episodes where the engine worked fine and delivered 500HP but everything else snapped into pieces.

BigPaddy posted:

Only reason the Rotsun keeps coming back is everyone wants to see them suffer to do stuff to it since it was unsavable when they got it with all the rot.
There is something entertaining about them taking a hunk of junk like that and seeing how much power they can generate.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 23, 2017

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

I meant with the last three episodes where the engine worked fine and delivered 500HP but everything else snapped into pieces.

There is something entertaining about them taking a hunk of junk like that and seeing how much power they can generate.

With a HUGE budget available too..

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

That's why I like Sloppy Mechanics and all the power they get out of turbo'd LS junkyard motors. They don't have the budget of Roadkill though.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

highway in Belgium couldn't take the heat.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Lime Tonics posted:

Even as a civil engineer that has taken classes on pavement mix design, I'm always amazed at how catastrophically a road can fail in hot weather.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Lime Tonics posted:

That photo should be included every time the speed limit is reduced in extremely hot weather just to shut the complainers up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ika posted:

That photo should be included every time the speed limit is reduced in extremely hot weather just to shut the complainers up.

Where is this done?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In places where the heat actually starts to soften the asphalt.

Concrete's fine. Asphalt turns into a nasty sticky mess when the temperature's in the 40ºC range for a week or more. People driving fast actually move it all around and I know many places where you get waves in the road from acceleration/braking.

I've never seen a road tent up like that from heat, though.

That said - I've only ever noticed it in cities and other busy areas. In quieter areas, like in the actual outback where it can be 40º for weeks, I've never had problems.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 24, 2017

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Ika posted:

This happened on 94W in Wisconsin close to the MN border, less severe but the same effect. July 4th weekend the road heaved right before an overpass, leaving maybe an 18" hill of buckled road. Luckily being right before an overpass there was an exit 50 yard before the buckle and traffic just got off and back on the interstate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DlxcSdij3o

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

The chevy 4.3 made power, but had massive lag and kept breaking the motor. The new ford 5.0 makes massive power, seems happy doing it, but now breaks everything downstream. Expecting a T5 to hold up to 550 hp and 600 ft-lbs of torque was a loving joke, so naturally it broke bad on the second drag pass. The Subaru diff with 3.90 gears will be next to go, if the axles don't act like fuses in the driveline. If they want to do it right, a TKO500/600 and a better rear end situation will fix it. But that won't happen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gorilla Salad posted:

Concrete's fine. Asphalt turns into a nasty sticky mess when the temperature's in the 40ºC range for a week or more. People driving fast actually move it all around and I know many places where you get waves in the road from acceleration/braking.

That said - I've only ever noticed it in cities and other busy areas. In quieter areas, like in the actual outback where it can be 40º for weeks, I've never had problems.

Its not done in Arizona...?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's funny is we get the same thing happening to roads from cold with frost heaves.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BlackMK4 posted:

Aren't most of the roads in the southwest cocrete and not asphualt. I'm trying to remember the roads when I lived in the Mojave and I feel like there was way more contrete than the east coast.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BlackMK4 posted:

Sidewalks buckle up here from the heat all the time, it's a fairly common repair. I've never seen the streets buckle though, not sure what they do to prevent it, maybe they just get too soft. :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Plinkey posted:

Aren't most of the roads in the southwest cocrete and not asphualt. I'm trying to remember the roads when I lived in the Mojave and I feel like there was way more contrete than the east coast.

The only roads made of concrete in the Phoenix area are the interstates. Asphalt is just so much cheaper to put down, that no municipalities use concrete.

Most of our interstates/freeways in town are concrete, but they cover them with rubberized asphalt... so nice, smooth and quiet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The asphalt does heave down here, too, but it's not as noticeable due to the replacement schedule. The biggest place to notice it is where asphalt meets concrete, like at an overpass or underpass on surface streets. You'll get a dip or a bump from cars dropping a bit from the concrete-asphalt transition, which compresses the asphalt into a trough, which makes the drop even bigger, etc in a feedback loop. You'll also get a wave/bump on the asphalt-concrete side from cars braking for stop lights. The underpasses for Mcdowell and Thomas where the 51 goes over are the biggest examples I can think of RN, though they just repaved McDowell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Locator posted:

The only roads made of concrete in the Phoenix area are the interstates. Asphalt is just so much cheaper to put down, that no municipalities use concrete.

Most of our interstates/freeways in town are concrete, but they cover them with rubberized asphalt... so nice, smooth and quiet.

I haven't noticed it in cars with stock springrates, but once you get into track car territory it seems like you get feedback loops that lead to vibration on the repaved area of the 101 and some other areas. 101N starting at 202 interchange up to like Thomas comes to mind first.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Platystemon posted:

Where is this done?

Southern Germany last week.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gorilla Salad posted:

Lol get on arab gulf state level.
Inner city asphalt temps of ~50C.
Daily HGV traffic.

Granted it never gets colder than about 14-15C

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

bull3964 posted:

What's funny is we get the same thing happening to roads from cold with frost heaves.

Phase change the other direction is pretty harsh as well

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lol get on arab gulf state level.
Inner city asphalt temps of ~50C.
Daily HGV traffic.

Granted it never gets colder than about 14-15C

Honestly I'd be surprised if it wasn't more than 50C. That's basically ambient air temp in the hot months.

For reference, Azerbaijan was 27C today and the track was 47C.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Honestly I'd be surprised if it wasn't more than 50C. That's basically ambient air temp in the hot months.

For reference, Azerbaijan was 27C today and the track was 47C.

It's partly cloudy and 108* (42c) ambient at my house today. I just measured the asphalt temp at 138* (59c). I'll remeasure when it hits the 120s this week.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

It's partly cloudy and 108* (42c) ambient at my house today. I just measured the asphalt temp at 138* (59c). I'll remeasure when it hits the 120s this week.

Yeah this is more what I would expect. Are you using an IR thermometer?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yeah this is more what I would expect. Are you using an IR thermometer?

I would expect that the real problems happen when the entire layer of asphalt hits those temps, so I don't know that surface temp is especially useful.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
An IR thermometer in Death Valley is the best, I recall the pavement temp being somewhere in the mid 60s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
It is almsot like they formulate asphalt mixes for the expected temps of the area.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They tested a big chunk of the ring road in edmonton with concrete and ended up replacing most of it 3 years in a row.

My old dodge used to hit a harmonic frequency with the shape of the pads and start bouncing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

It is almsot like they formulate asphalt mixes for the expected temps of the area.

Fun fact: Death Valley earned its name in the winter.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

nm posted:

My asphalt dick stays rock hard in the hottest weather

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://gfycat.com/ShortSoupyHornedtoad

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I can't not see that as someone pissing on the sanitary sewer lid.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Darchangel posted:

I can't not see that as someone pissing on the sanitary sewer lid.
Get your mind out of the gutter.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cartoon posted:

Get your mind out of the gutter.
Or don't, because, well, you know.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Re: Phoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Think i found out why my rear wheel carrier was difficult to open and flopped around like a soft dong...

And i think i found out what the pivot point was once the bearing siezed solid...

Theres a retrofit kit from ARB that replaces the tapered roller bearings with a pair of sealed flat roller bearings and a spacer tube. Except it took nearly two hours to get that loving bolt out after it galled in the nut.