Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CMvan46 posted:

I'm not saying I liked the pick personally either. I know him personally, played with his brother all growing up, and he's not an overall hard working guy and isn't all that bright.

I agree it doesn't matter where a guy is from but for casual fans it does matter. It was a marketing dream for the Canucks and I think that played in to the pick as much as the skill. The Canucks have practically nothing to sell tickets right now and haven't for years now. It's the same reason the Blue Jays went after Brett Lawrie.

I still don't think stats are a be all indicator especially when guys play in different leagues, on different strength teams and the increasing number of high end guys playing in pro leagues in Europe.

They're not but they tell a lot about Canadian junior players. Obviously not every stat monster is a hit (lookin' at you, Len Barrie), but it's fairly rare you see somebody with average numbers in Junior do well in the NHL if they played in the CHL first. I'm sure there's an example or two, but those are outliers, as far as I know.

I agree that if they played in the SEL, or SM-liiga, it can be hard to tell, especially with defencemen, I find sometimes their numbers look awful, then they come here where offence is wide more open and have a lot more points.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

eXXon posted:

Well there's the fact that Chychrun was the only defenseman drafted last season to actually play the whole year in the NHL. I suppose you can argue that he was an over-analyzed/nitpicked faller just like Liljegren is likely to be, but it's really hard for first-time draftees to make the NHL right away - especially defensemen. Also this draft is supposed to be weak.

mcavoy absolutely could have been an nhl player last year, and zero pro-league defencemen were drafted that year. the year prior hanafin made it

liljegren and heiskanen are the two most nhl ready D this draft has to offer. i dont expect teams to play them, but i think they could do it. concerns about this being a weak draft (other than the lack of guaranteed top line talent like mcdavid/eichel/matthews) are silly, heiskanen is better than juolevi in basically every way (even if juolevi got picked a little high)

CMvan46 posted:

I hope the Canucks take Glass if available. I don't mind Makar if they take him but I do think he's a big time gamble.

It's hard to fault Benning on the Virtanen pick. If they had passed up on the home town kid who was not a reach at their pick we would have never heard the end of it from fans and media here. Unfortunately I just don't think he's smart or motivated enough to play his game to higher levels.

CMvan46 posted:

Barely anybody complained when they picked him at the time and every "expert" and mock draft had him going around where we took him as well. People do give a poo poo though and it was a marketing dream if it worked out and junior stats are a crappy argument for drafting a player especially considering the style of game he plays.

this guy works for the panthers now

it was pretty obviously a stupid pick at the time and smart people called it what it was. i remember being pretty underwhelmed, and it was obvious it was a pick to appease stupid fans

i like how this post very briefly touches on "maybe ehlers is actually better than drouin" without saying it and now he's better than drouin in the nhl

anyways, any of glass/vilardi/suzuki/pettersson will make me happy. i dont want mittlestadt and i don't really want a defenceman - why would you take one of them when you can finagle your way into one of the really good 2nd/3rd round defencemen available like salo. id probably rank those four pretty equal but give the edge to pettersson

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 22, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CMvan46 posted:

I agree it doesn't matter where a guy is from but for casual fans it does matter. It was a marketing dream for the Canucks and I think that played in to the pick as much as the skill. The Canucks have practically nothing to sell tickets right now and haven't for years now. It's the same reason the Blue Jays went after Brett Lawrie.

Yeah, the Leafs tried this with Clarkson and other hometown boys that struggled through years of intense mediocrity and dwindling fan interest. The moment they shifted to a rebuild and picked up a bunch of fun, young kids they started to sell out again and they're the talk of the town for the first time in the decade I've lived here. I don't think there's one casual fan who gives the slightest poo poo that Matthews and Nylander are from Phoenix and Stockholm respectively, they just love watching them combine for sexy tic-tac-toe goals. Marner is from Toronto, but he's probably the lest popular of the three.

It's almost like casual fans like fun, exciting teams and aren't so stupid as to think that a player is good and worth watching simply because they grew up in the same city as them. Fans want homegrown superstars, not just homegrown guys. If they can't have a homegrown superstar, they'll support other superstars before a mediocre hometown guy every day.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 22, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
a lot of casual fans really are that stupid. i talked to people that were inexplicably excited for the virtanen pick, partially because he's from here

of course they hate him now

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That hometown boy poo poo is useful if you have a minor league team sometimes because of small-town mentality, but it has no place in the major leagues in any sport. Like, I started rooting for Calgary because Theo Fleury was a Warrior first, but it certainly didn't hurt they were a successful team. Plus Lanny McDonald! And a guy with a 100MPH slapshot (back when that was more novel).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

a lot of casual fans really are that stupid. i talked to people that were inexplicably excited for the virtanen pick, partially because he's from here

of course they hate him now

Oh I know that people were excited, he was a flashy new prospect and everyone loves those. The fact that he was a local kid was just icing on the cake and of course people liked that. Most people aren't obsessive nerds about prospects like I am so wouldn't have known there was such a glaring gulf in talent between Virtanen and Ehlers/Nylander that was obvious with one second of research. If management had selected Ehlers, I'm sure there would've been a bunch of angry "SHOULDA TAKEN DA ABBYSFURD KID" calls into local radio shows, but the moment Ehlers started scoring in the NHL everyone would've forgotten. It's not management's job to make people immediately happy at the expense of future success, it's about incremental improvement over time so you select the guys most likely to have the greatest amount o NHL success. In 2014, that was quite clearly Ehlers or Nylander and not Virtanen. No one would say Virtanen's name ever again if Ehlers skated around the rink in a Canucks uniform with a cup raised over his head.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That hometown boy poo poo is useful if you have a minor league team sometimes because of small-town mentality, but it has no place in the major leagues in any sport. Like, I started rooting for Calgary because Theo Fleury was a Warrior first, but it certainly didn't hurt they were a successful team. Plus Lanny McDonald! And a guy with a 100MPH slapshot (back when that was more novel).

Exactly, I wasn't born a diehard fan. I became one because of players like Naslund, Bertuzzi and Jovanovski kicking rear end and taking names way back when. I can tell you that at no point did I pretend to be Brendan Morrison while playing hockey in my driveway lifting the cup. The fact he was from Vancouver meant nothing to me, I'm pretty sure I didn't know he was when I was a kid. I just liked the guys who scored lots of goals and did rad poo poo and I tried to emulate that. I don't think things are fundamentally different for kids today, and they'll embrace whoever has success with the team. Look at Bo, he's the most (actually only) popular guy on the team and he's from London, ON which is a craphole and a very long way from Vancouver.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 22, 2017

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Verviticus posted:

anyways, any of glass/vilardi/suzuki/pettersson will make me happy. i dont want mittlestadt and i don't really want a defenceman - why would you take one of them when you can finagle your way into one of the really good 2nd/3rd round defencemen available like salo. id probably rank those four pretty equal but give the edge to pettersson

I still think we are far enough from being any good a defenceman isn't a horrible choice this year just because they typically take longer to develop though I don't mind the young defence group we have already. Benning's interview he just did on 1040 seemed to me like he was leaning forward.

It's hard to know how honest they are in those interviews but he did say he doesnt know who is going 3-4 and that a lot of teams have this top 10 ranked completely differently. I do wonder if we could see the Canucks move down a spot or two if a couple of their guys are still available at 5.

He also said Tanev is a big part of the team and their best defenceman (no poo poo) and that to trade him they'd have to get a defenceman in return. So that changes some of the chance around him going for a high pick, at least on his own.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

my guess is his list looks like glass > makar > pettersson. pretty sure liljegren and heiskanen are off the table at 5 (which is whatever, i dont really like drafting D high)

CMvan46 posted:

I still think we are far enough from being any good a defenceman isn't a horrible choice this year just because they typically take longer to develop though I don't mind the young defence group we have already. Benning's interview he just did on 1040 seemed to me like he was leaning forward.

It's hard to know how honest they are in those interviews but he did say he doesnt know who is going 3-4 and that a lot of teams have this top 10 ranked completely differently. I do wonder if we could see the Canucks move down a spot or two if a couple of their guys are still available at 5.

He also said Tanev is a big part of the team and their best defenceman (no poo poo) and that to trade him they'd have to get a defenceman in return. So that changes some of the chance around him going for a high pick, at least on his own.

a: im not really sold on juolevi, so im not a huge fan
b: jim benning has never once told a lie. he's far, far too stupid to do that. if he says he doesnt know something, that is the single most truthful statement ever made by someone, because he doesn't know anything
c: ya he's just an idiot

ThinkTank posted:

Oh I know that people were excited, he was a flashy new prospect and everyone loves those. The fact that he was a local kid was just icing on the cake and of course people liked that. Most people aren't obsessive nerds about prospects like I am so wouldn't have known there was such a glaring gulf in talent between Virtanen and Ehlers/Nylander that was obvious with one second of research. If management had selected Ehlers, I'm sure there would've been a bunch of angry "SHOULDA TAKEN DA ABBYSFURD KID" calls into local radio shows, but the moment Ehlers started scoring in the NHL everyone would've forgotten. It's not management's job to make people immediately happy at the expense of future success, it's about incremental improvement over time so you select the guys most likely to have the greatest amount o NHL success. In 2014, that was quite clearly Ehlers or Nylander and not Virtanen. No one would say Virtanen's name ever again if Ehlers skated around the rink in a Canucks uniform with a cup raised over his head.

Exactly, I wasn't born a diehard fan. I became one because of players like Naslund, Bertuzzi and Jovanovski kicking rear end and taking names way back when. I can tell you that at no point did I pretend to be Brendan Morrison while playing hockey in my driveway lifting the cup. The fact he was from Vancouver meant nothing to me, I'm pretty sure I didn't know he was when I was a kid. I just liked the guys who scored lots of goals and did rad poo poo and I tried to emulate that. I don't think things are fundamentally different for kids today, and they'll embrace whoever has success with the team. Look at Bo, he's the most (actually only) popular guy on the team and he's from London, ON which is a craphole and a very long way from Vancouver.

oh yeah, fully agreed. people would get the gently caress over it when nylander is a ppg player for 12 straight years. trust me, you dont need to describe in excrutiating detail to me how we should have drafted ehlers or nylander

back to the draft: i wonder if vilardi is gonna be the guy that inexplicably drops to 14 this year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

my guess is his list looks like glass > makar > pettersson. pretty sure liljegren and heiskanen are off the table at 5 (which is whatever, i dont really like drafting D high)

a: im not really sold on juolevi, so im not a huge fan
b: jim benning has never once told a lie. he's far, far too stupid to do that. if he says he doesnt know something, that is the single most truthful statement ever made by someone, because he doesn't know anything
c: ya he's just an idiot

I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if we took a D at five because well I'm not sold on Juolevi either and we have an abject lack of talent at any and all positions so anything helps. I just want a centre because flashy forwards are more fun to watch when the team is inevitably going to suck.

quote:

oh yeah, fully agreed. people would get the gently caress over it when nylander is a ppg player for 12 straight years. trust me, you dont need to describe in excrutiating detail to me how we should have drafted ehlers or nylander

Hey, excruciating, pedantic detail is my thing okay :mad:

quote:

back to the draft: i wonder if vilardi is gonna be the guy that inexplicably drops to 14 this year

I doubt it, Vegas will probably take a forward at 6 because they need someone to sell to new hockey fans and that's not a defenceman or small Swedish kid.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

William Nylander fun fact: he was born in Calgary and can likely claim nominal Canadian citizenship as a result, though he grew up mostly in the US and is obviously a Swedish national.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I was disappointed when the Rangers drafted Brady Skjei over legacy grinder Stefan Matteau, and wooooow I was so very wrong about that. I'm glad I'm not a fan of a team that does that stuff these days.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if we took a D at five because well I'm not sold on Juolevi either and we have an abject lack of talent at any and all positions so anything helps. I just want a centre because flashy forwards are more fun to watch when the team is inevitably going to suck.

good news (im sure you know this), glass is the single least flashy forward to ever exist. at least vilardi can stickhandle well

join me on the pettersson train

ThinkTank posted:

I doubt it, Vegas will probably take a forward at 6 because they need someone to sell to new hockey fans and that's not a defenceman or small Swedish kid.

tippett maybe

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

good news (im sure you know this), glass is the single least flashy forward to ever exist. at least vilardi can stickhandle well

join me on the pettersson train

Oh yeah, he's hardly a dangle factory. He's just the most likely to have success of anyone available and the Canucks can't be picky about how they score goals at the moment. Don't get me wrong, Petersson looks fun as poo poo, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him I'd just be a bit worried that it wouldn't translate to the NHL. My only concern with him is that with so little translation between the Allsvenskan and the NHL, it's hard to say definitively how much his offence will translate and the Canucks really, really can't afford to make any more low percentage bets with high picks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

William Nylander fun fact: he was born in Calgary and can likely claim nominal Canadian citizenship as a result, though he grew up mostly in the US and is obviously a Swedish national.

Makes sense, his dad played for Calgary for a few years and had one pretty good year there ('95-96). Had a hell of a time staying healthy, though. Nylander's definitely a player who aged like wine.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Oh yeah, he's hardly a dangle factory. He's just the most likely to have success of anyone available and the Canucks can't be picky about how they score goals at the moment. Don't get me wrong, Petersson looks fun as poo poo, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him I'd just be a bit worried that it wouldn't translate to the NHL. My only concern with him is that with so little translation between the Allsvenskan and the NHL, it's hard to say definitively how much his offence will translate and the Canucks really, really can't afford to make any more low percentage bets with high picks.

ehh, i dont think the translation is any harder to predict than most junior players, and honestly the dahlen connection is more fun than anything glass has to offer. ill live if we draft glass, i have a soft spot for The Most Boring Forward On Earth but im gonna be mad in two years when pettersson is datsyuk 2.0

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

honestly the dahlen connection is more fun than anything glass has to offer.

Well I can definitely say I am intrigued by that idea, I thought the same about the Shinkaruk/Etem connection and well... hmmm...

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

The other Nylander nationality fun fact is because he is a dual citizen and lived mainly in the US as a kid, he technically wasn't eligible to play for Sweden since he didn't have enough time as a Swedish resident and had to get special permission to play in the U17.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=7329&cHash=937df2da61b40fa15e08212812aa602c

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Vegas has 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, should be able to find some value. McPhee's gonna look foolish if he doesn't have at least 2-3 hits, though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's fine when you use later picks to grab guys who are being overlooked for whatever reason. Ottawa taking Pageau is a great example of that. Or Borowiecki, tbh. Even if I don't think Boro is an NHL quality guy, he's certainly worth more than the pick that was spent on him.

Ceci is a good example of why you don't spend a first on a local guy.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Eeli Tolvanen was just rejected by the Boston College admissions department. Since he's being drafted out of the USHL he's in the odd position of being AHL-eligible right out of the gate.

Also possible he goes to Oshawa.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

where did the thread title come from

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did you not even try searching on this very page?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It came from the last post on the previous page.

CMvan46 posted:

I'm not saying I liked the pick personally either. I know him personally, played with his brother all growing up, and he's not an overall hard working guy and isn't all that bright.

I still don't think stats are a be all indicator especially when guys play in different leagues, on different strength teams and the increasing number of high end guys playing in pro leagues in Europe.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
my dream pick for buffalo is makar, but i doubt he makes it past vancouver. i think they probably end up taking liljegren instead

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Makar is the "swing for the fences" pick in this draft, for sure. I don't think he makes it to Vancouver.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
there's going to be at least 1 of the top D picks available at Vancouver's position, I doubt the Devils/Flyers aren't going to take whichever is available of Patrick/Hischier. If the Stars/Avs both take D they'll be choosing (imo) from Makar/Heiskanen/Liljegren.

gonna really depend on how highly ranked that remaining D is for Vancouver if that happens.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

*banging hands on table* dont pick a d. pick a forward. from sweden

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
oh I don't want them to take a D-man. Blue Team Needs Forwards Badly

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what time draft start

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

what time draft start

7pm EST on NBCSN and ugh Sportsnet. I think Sportsnet starts broadcasting at 6:30 though, although they have nothing to add.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ThinkTank posted:

7pm EST on NBCSN and ugh Sportsnet. I think Sportsnet starts broadcasting at 6:30 though, although they have nothing to add.

At what time does Bergevin shatter my hopes and dreams?

The answer is every second of my miserable existence

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/878277135437135873

Seabrook? Hossa?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dumping Seabrook or Hossa and moving up 19 spots? They better be offering Debrincat+++.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/878281195502551040

edit: https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/878281711628435457

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/878281711628435457

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/878284205997793281

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

what

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

we're mostly posting in the N/V thread atm although we probably need an NHL TRADESTORM AND DRAFT GDT now.

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

I'm all aboard the Grant Mismash fanclub, hope the sabres grab him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

we're mostly posting in the N/V thread atm although we probably need an NHL TRADESTORM AND DRAFT GDT now.

This can be the draft GDT

• Locked thread