Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't have any on-monitor adjustment for color (there is supposedly a "User" settings mode but it doesn't let me adjust colors). On the NVIDIA control panel colors tab I enabled the user mode and adjusted the blue channel, but anything I adjust will change the color of the backdrop (but not the square at the center that's being balanced) and then immediately undo as I release the mouse button, even if I apply the settings. Not sure how to proceed.

(Brightness is easy to balance if needed)

You're supposed to use the "Laptop" preset if your monitor's OSD doesn't offer any RBG adjustments, Displaycal will figure it out for you. Also set the mode to LCD (White LED).

Calibrating to a certain desired whitepoint (ie. 6500k) that's far from your display's native will cost you some contrast and you'll end up with a smaller gamut because it has to adjust your greens significantly.
For non-printing/general purpose/single monitor calibration I'd just leave it at the display's native white point to retain maximum contrast.

If calibration end ups with a picture that looks way too blue/cold — that's probably because your filters aged and degraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I forgot about the laptop mode. I use that on my parents' laptop but it's been a while since I've done anything more than a 10-point calibration for my own screen.

Yeah, as mentioned, if you want an accurate setup and your equipment is more complicated than a single monitor or type of monitor/panel, you'll probably need a good spectrophotometer to profile against in addition to a colorimeter, or to get your colorimeter profiled against somebody else's quality spectro if you want your stuff to match as closely as possible. There are also companies who sell pre-corrected colorimeters, if you want to go that route. The differences in the physical characteristics between different models/panels/types of display apparently make it hard to match multiple monitors otherwise (I don't have a multi-monitor setup). I'm guessing most people who just want more consistently smooth and accurate colours and grayscales won't care enough to spend the extra money and effort for a spectro and the required setup. Or they forgo all of the hassle and get a professional to do everything.

Personally, I just bought my ColorMunki to get a better calibration than using lagom.nl and adjusting by eye. It should probably be profiled against a spectro but I also probably won't do that in the near future. If I was doing professional, colour-critical work, I'd likely need more than the cheap setup I currently have.

Speaking of all of this, has anybody here calibrated an OLED yet? It sounds like it's a lot more involved of a process, and standard LCDs can already take a while.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Will a colorimeter help me get the colors closer to the same on my different monitors? I've got two Dell 2407WFP-HC and one Acer XB270HU. I've tried using the settings from TFTCentral on all of them and the Dells just have way more of a yellow tint to them.

This exaggerates the difference some, but you get the idea:

I can't seem to come up with a combination of settings that matches these things up in any way...

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah absolutely. The left monitor is relatively warm, the right one is relatively cool. You'll want to calibrate them to what is generally accepted as a neutral whitepoint of D65/6500K or whatever your preference is.

The picture will always look a slightly different but the apparent yellow/blue tint will go away and colors will match much better than they do now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Isn't part of the 2407WFP-HC's yellow tint the fact that it's a CCFL-based display and the CCFL has slowly faded over time?

eames
May 9, 2009

I thought CCFL displays only get dimmer with age?

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

There can be colour shift as well. If that one has actually been in use for the past decade, it might be losing contrast/brightness overall. You can still correct for that at least somewhat. I'm dealing with that kind of shift on my 2011 TV that's slowly losing contrast in the red channel, and losing it faster in the blue. It's down to a max of around 90 cd/m^2 on the blues now.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Those old monitors absolutely yellow over time, I have a 2407 that looks identical. A spyderpro fixed it so it looks normal (except for the hardware cursor which is yellow as hell).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Grog posted:

There can be colour shift as well. If that one has actually been in use for the past decade,

IIRC, it's been in use for at least 8 years.

I wonder if its worth replacing the CCFL's. They're not terribly expensive...my brief googlin leads me to think they're less than $50 bucks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Grog posted:

Speaking of all of this, has anybody here calibrated an OLED yet? It sounds like it's a lot more involved of a process, and standard LCDs can already take a while.

Considering what they cost, I'd argue you calibrate your eyes to the OLED, not the other way around.

In all seriousness, I don't think any of the major colorimeters are set up for OLED panels, and I have no idea whether generic LCD settings will work properly with them or not.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

IIRC, it's been in use for at least 8 years.

I wonder if its worth replacing the CCFL's. They're not terribly expensive...my brief googlin leads me to think they're less than $50 bucks.

I wouldn't spend $50 to fix a CCFL monitor when you can get a 1080p IPS monitor for around the same price off Craigslist:

Here's a 1080p IPS 23" for $60 for example:

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/sys/6169050480.html

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I wouldn't spend $50 to fix a CCFL monitor when you can get a 1080p IPS monitor for around the same price off Craigslist:

Here's a 1080p IPS 23" for $60 for example:

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/sys/6169050480.html

Just putting aside the fact that I'd be taking a major and unacceptable drop in resolution, the 2407WFP-HC should be way higher quality, no? I mean, obviously after the CCFL is replaced.

I don't understand what I gain by your suggested course of action.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Just putting aside the fact that I'd be taking a major and unacceptable drop in resolution, the 2407WFP-HC should be way higher quality, no? I mean, obviously after the CCFL is replaced.

I don't understand what I gain by your suggested course of action.

I didn't realize that a 10-year old monitor was IPS, in that case I guess repair it then.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

If you can actually find a replacement backlight and replace it or have it replaced for a decent amount cheaper than buying a new monitor, then it's probably worth looking into at least. I would have done that on mine, but decided to just wait for it to die so I can get something smaller and faster.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So...I'm shopping for a monitor. I'm jazzed to be getting my first ever widescreen (I've been using a Samsung 19" LCD non-widescreen for nearly a decade now. It has been very reliable - save when some capacitors failed just out of warranty, and I took baby steps about learning electronics by repairing it myself.)

Price point ~$200 cdn.I'd like IPS if that's advisable. I play games, but as you can tell I'm not on the bleeding edge of anything. I just want to play modern titles. I'm Wary of Asus, as that poo poo seems likely to break on me. I live in a small town; finding IPS is tricky. The good computer stone stocks a few dell that *might* be IPS, Asus, and weirdly HP monitors that don't get much of a look-in around here. I'm thinking of ordering from one of the big web sites. I'm also (if you couldn't tell) a Keeper; I use stuff a long time if I can, so reliability is something that's good.

Anyway, any particularly sweet models out there I should know about? Alternately: am I a fool doomed to navigate a eye-searing haze of fickerage and dead pixels?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i have been using a $130 asus 1080p IPS monitor that is pretty decent for like seven years, yo. just buy it off newegg there is a cornucopia of stuff since they aren't purposefully limiting their display stock as a sales tactic.

there is a point where keeping things beyond their technologically useful lifetime becomes a detriment and using a 19" 4:3 monitor well into 2017 is absolutely more than a decade past that point

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nebakenezzer posted:

So...I'm shopping for a monitor. I'm jazzed to be getting my first ever widescreen (I've been using a Samsung 19" LCD non-widescreen for nearly a decade now. It has been very reliable - save when some capacitors failed just out of warranty, and I took baby steps about learning electronics by repairing it myself.)

Price point ~$200 cdn.I'd like IPS if that's advisable. I play games, but as you can tell I'm not on the bleeding edge of anything. I just want to play modern titles. I'm Wary of Asus, as that poo poo seems likely to break on me. I live in a small town; finding IPS is tricky. The good computer stone stocks a few dell that *might* be IPS, Asus, and weirdly HP monitors that don't get much of a look-in around here. I'm thinking of ordering from one of the big web sites. I'm also (if you couldn't tell) a Keeper; I use stuff a long time if I can, so reliability is something that's good.

Anyway, any particularly sweet models out there I should know about? Alternately: am I a fool doomed to navigate a eye-searing haze of fickerage and dead pixels?

Here is a basic Dell IPS monitor, you'll want a DVI cable if you don't have one already but even with a cable it falls within your budget. Dell has one of the best warranties out there so you should be fine as far as dead pixels and so on.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Like AVeryLargeRadish said, Dell's probably your best choice for warranty. Dell's Canadian website also has the S2316H (on sale) and the SE2416H (regular price) for $200. Somebody else can point out any differences I'm missing, but comparing the S2316H and M (the one that Radish linked), the H has HDMI and built-in speakers while the M has DVI and no speakers, but the M is also selling regularly for $280 on Dell's website. The SE2416H is 23.8" vs 23.0" on the other two, also has HDMI instead of DVI, and says it's anti-glare vs "glossy with low-haze" on the S2316H/M (except then they all say they're anti-glare in their specs). They're all supposed to be IPS. They also have various other models around that price, but I have no idea what the meaningful differences are between them all.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Looks like best buy has the Acer predator on sale. Is this the same as the XB271HU?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-predator-xb271huret-27-ips-led-wqhd-g-sync-monitor-black/5040200.p?skuId=5040200

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

willroc7 posted:

Looks like best buy has the Acer predator on sale. Is this the same as the XB271HU?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-predator-xb271huret-27-ips-led-wqhd-g-sync-monitor-black/5040200.p?skuId=5040200

It looks like it is, it claims to have an IPS panel and the matching 4ms response time.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

willroc7 posted:

It's the same part number on Acer's site and on Best Buy. Looks like it's the one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So these are new: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024601&p_id=21791&seq=1&format=2

First cable I've seen that advertises high-bandwidth, comes from a reputable seller, *and* has a lifetime warranty.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

willroc7 posted:

Those motherfuckers, I just ordered that last week and got it on Friday. Newegg had 50 bucks off on it when I ordered, so its not a huge issue, but drat.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Friends don't let friends buy acer. Ugh.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Wibla posted:

Acer's higher end monitors are very, very good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Wibla posted:

Unless they want them to have good monitors.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Bestbuy cancelled the orders :(

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wibla posted:

I own two Acer monitors. Both deliver capabilities that are simply unmatched as a full package or were at the time I bought them. Both of them do exactly what they were made to and do it well, with nice stands and materials.

I have a Dell ultrawide that's better specifically for work, but the KVM that makes that the case is a pretty niche feature, and my Acer ultrawide is similar except for offering freesync and a 75Hz max refresh rate, which is a big deal for gaming.

Plus, I got both as refurbs so they were cheap as hell.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Local shop has open box (customer returned it within 14 days of purchase) Acer XR382CQK for 1130€. But it's only 75Hz... It has 14 day return window and full warranty though, so I could at least try it.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I just got my XB271HU in yesterday and this thing is amazing. I had a Dell U2415M before and was seriously considering upgrading my PC as a whole because its still a few generations back in hardware and even with my GTX 970 I was getting some serious tearing in games but this monitor got rid of all the perceived problems I was having. I also managed to get one that doesn't appear to have any of the QA issues they seem to get a lot. Was leery of spending $700 on a monitor but holy crap it was worth it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The Dreamer posted:

I just got my XB271HU in yesterday and this thing is amazing. I had a Dell U2415M before and was seriously considering upgrading my PC as a whole because its still a few generations back in hardware and even with my GTX 970 I was getting some serious tearing in games but this monitor got rid of all the perceived problems I was having. I also managed to get one that doesn't appear to have any of the QA issues they seem to get a lot. Was leery of spending $700 on a monitor but holy crap it was worth it.

Almost all of this post also applies to me, including the video card model and computer age. G-Sync is way better than I imagined - it's one of those things where there's no easy way to demo it but it makes a huge difference. Everything is like butter now.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

The Dreamer posted:

How is your backlight bleed? Mine from Walmart is pretty severe in the bottom left to middle and middle top. Once I get my amazon one I'll compare to the walmart one and see which is better. My refurb was also worse than the Walmart one and had a scratch on the screen, I returned it already. Panel lotto gogogo.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

B-Mac posted:

How is your backlight bleed? Mine from Walmart is pretty severe in the bottom left to middle and middle top. Once I get my amazon one I'll compare to the walmart one and see which is better. My refurb was also worse than the Walmart one and had a scratch on the screen, I returned it already. Panel lotto gogogo.

No noticable backlight bleed and IPS glow is minimal. I got mine from Newegg because it was $50 off and was half expecting to have to send the first one back for a replacement but so far no issues. Pleasantly surprised.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

There is an XB371HU for sale on the craigs near me and the backlight looks like this:

That looks pretty bad to me, but would that be considered normal?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

willroc7 posted:

There is an XB371HU for sale on the craigs near me and the backlight looks like this:

I think my x34 would probably look like that if i took a lovely phone picture in a pitch black room but its drat near un-noticeable in actual use conditions. If you're looking on CL I'd just ask to see it turned on before you buy it or something.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

willroc7 posted:

Photos often make BLB look worse/more noticeable than it will be in actual use. That said, the right side BLB does look a bit heavy. As Fruit Chewy notes, this would be a good case of asking them to demo it to you before you hand over the cash.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

He's asking 540 for it and says it only has 40 hours on it. There is a microcenter just as close to me that sells them for 680+tax. I'm leaning towards new at the moment. The option to return is worth a lot. I ended up returning a Dell S2716DG because I wasn't happy with the pixel inversion and (displayport?) flickering when alt-tabbing in and out of fullscreen games.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

willroc7 posted:

He's asking 540 for it and says it only has 40 hours on it. There is a microcenter just as close to me that sells them for 680+tax. I'm leaning towards new at the moment. The option to return is worth a lot. I ended up returning a Dell S2716DG because I wasn't happy with the pixel inversion and (displayport?) flickering when alt-tabbing in and out of fullscreen games.

You could also get a refurb from Acer for $525, at least the next time they're in stock. I would say $540 is too much for that and it does seem like a lot of light bleed to me

Why's he selling?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

willroc7 posted:

If your sales tax is anything like my area at 10% unless it bothers you a lot Id rather save $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm trying to decide between the ASUS PB328Q and the BenQ3200Q.

Probably what it's coming down to is how bad the ghosting problems and viewing angle are on the PB328Q. Does anyone have any experience with it? Would I notice any viewing angle problems while just, say, slouching in my chair? This might sound silly, but I had to return an AOC AGON 271QX because I found the colours were noticeably changing just from sinking down in my seat. I also found that, sitting side by side with my IPS monitor, the colours were offputtingly poor - either it would be yellow, or, if I adjusted the colours enough to minimise that, I would get eye-searing blues.

I know the VA panels aren't perfect at viewing angles, and I know this particular monitor is not great if you're looking at an extreme angle, but can't find out whether it'd be very perceptible if I were doing something other than watching from across the room.

I'm leaning towards the BenQ3200Q because, while I play games, they're mostly top-town slower games, and, if I'm playing a shooter, it's probably some single player system hog that I"m not going to be pulling down high frame rates anyway...

edit: ah gently caress it, going to get a ViewSonic XG2703-GS. compromising on size when i have a second 27" monitor seems like the better choice than the other compromises.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 29, 2017