Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used 8.1 without anything else and it was great. Need a program? Win+S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

apologize for bringing up winders chat

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm still using classicshell in 10 even though I probably would like the start menu but don't want to spend the 10 minutes to set it up right.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

For the most part for me, the Start menu itself isn't important, so I have nothing pinned and the pinned icons section minimized/shrunken all the way to the left.

Hit Win key, start typing what I need, hit enter.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

havenwaters posted:

I'm still using classicshell in 10 even though I probably would like the start menu but don't want to spend the 10 minutes to set it up right.

Pretty sure the default Win 10 start menu shows you ads now. Also, so does live login backdrops.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty sure the default Win 10 start menu shows you ads now. Also, so does live login backdrops.

I'm not getting any start menu ads. I don't remember doing anything to turn ads off, but at most I had to turn off something obvious in start menu settings; I haven't done anything with the registry, group policy, or third-party tools to tweak the UI. I've had some relatively low-key ads on the login screen (usually for Office, once or twice for some game), but it's been a while since I've seen one.

eames
May 9, 2009

So now Intel is putting out a spec for dual channel X299 boards... is this some sort of joke?
Maybe they're going to launch Coffee Lake S on X299? Oh man, none of this makes sense anymore. :confuoot:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-x299-dual-channel-memory

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

eames posted:

So now Intel is putting out a spec for dual channel X299 boards... is this some sort of joke?
Maybe they're going to launch Coffee Lake S on X299? Oh man, none of this makes sense anymore. :confuoot:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-x299-dual-channel-memory

My already tenuous interest in X299 has evaporated entirely over the last few days because of all this insanity. Top work Intel, thanks for making the decision for me and saving me a couple thousand dollars.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I am so loving confused about all these goddamn intel chips and I kinda sorta follow this stuff

I'm starting to buy into the line that Intel poo poo its pants over AMD suddenly showing up to the game and is just running around in panic mode releasing whatever they can find.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Xae posted:

I'm starting to buy into the line that Intel poo poo its pants over AMD suddenly showing up to the game and is just running around in panic mode releasing whatever they can find.
what's funny is that continuing what they're doing for 5 years would have been way better for them in PR and marketshare

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Xae posted:

It really seems like that, yeah

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Xae posted:

Remember that all rumours pointed to Skylake-X and Kaby-X launching in August, there was no indication of them launching this soon until the last minute. Definitely points to a panic launch.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Still interested in that one asrock itx board but I have been burned by asrock Wi-Fi breaking on win10

The threadripper socket is too huge to fit on itx methinks

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Malcolm XML posted:

Still interested in that one asrock itx board but I have been burned by asrock Wi-Fi breaking on win10

The threadripper socket is too huge to fit on itx methinks

I unironically want to move to X299 just so that I can use that ridiculous board in my Ncase. I've had a really good experience with my x170 asrock ITX board.

But yeah I imagine threadripper would be near impossible since the x299 board is already pushing tons of randoms tuff onto little risers.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xah84cJwdxE

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

¡RAID keys!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seriously considering doing a threadripper build just for the hell of it. 64 pcie lanes? A motherboard with quad m.2 slots would be pretty nifty.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
A special mining mobo with 64 PCI-E 1x slots.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

The ominous Eye of Crypto-Computing Efficiency turns and gazes at your future upgrade plans. You awkwardly avert your eyes in the Microcenter check-out lane.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

Another finger on the monkey paw tightens as your voice echos loudly in the sudden silence

https://www.servethehome.com/dual-amd-epyc-7601-cpus-can-offset-operational-costs-using-monero-mining/

eames
May 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfLaknTneqw

The 8C/16T i7-7820X looks decent except for power consumption/thermals. I'll probably get one of those unless AMD manages to fix their vfio performance bugs with a new stepping.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Let's hope so. A 1000$ or less 16C/32T is a dream platform for virt.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Let's hope so. A 1000$ or less 16C/32T is a dream platform for virt.

Here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...GkAAOSwmCVZAJPF

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Are the clock speeds locked down on those types of chips, or do the motherboards from servers just not offer those types of adjustments anyway?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe. The Threadripper can ostensibly hit up to 3.8-3.9GHz with that XFR crap.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

TomR posted:

Are the clock speeds locked down on those types of chips, or do the motherboards from servers just not offer those types of adjustments anyway?

Xeon multipliers are locked, so you get the P-states as they ship. Better cooler = more time available in a given P-state. Servers are going to prioritize stability over raw performance.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
So maybe I'm talking poo poo, but could the fact that the Skylake X chips are both not soldered and clocked high be simply due to Ryzen? It seems like ~5 months should be enough time to react and plan on soldering the drat chips, but I don't know enough about how these things are made to say.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I don't know about those but the HCC SKLX is almost certainly a direct and panicked response to Ryzen catching on and the threat of Threadripper. With Ryzen 7 Intel can still say they're better for gaming because of single threaded performance so they don't need to respond. Though with games getting more multithreaded Ryzen can beat a 7700k in some instances, especially looking at minimum fps.

Once you get into the HEDT realm single core performance is less important and the 7900x at $1700 - the price Intel probably planned to charge for it - would have been a complete joke when compared to threadripper.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 23, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Measly Twerp posted:

So maybe I'm talking poo poo, but could the fact that the Skylake X chips are both not soldered and clocked high be simply due to Ryzen?

Clocks, maybe, but solder vs TIM is something Intel has been pushing for a while now, particularly as die sizes have shrunk. You'd still think a 10C+ die would be large enough for solder, but if TIM is cheaper and easier (it is), and you don't have to worry about competing much, then it seems an obvious play.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wondered if the non soldered IHS was a response to Ryzen, if they now have to sell them at less $$$$$, might as well get as much out of the consumer as possible.

eames
May 9, 2009

soldering that IHS surely won't cost them much more than maybe 1% of MSRP, I doubt its because of the price

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

All I care about is maximizing vidja while minimizing power consumption, do I just buy an i5-7500 and call it a day? My i5-750 hurfs durf on Dark Souls III so I guess it's time.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

It's going to be a while before most things scale well beyond 4 threads, I'd say Intel still has an edge in the near term. Get the K variant so you have the option for overclocking and stretching it down the road.

eames
May 9, 2009

if money is no object you could get a 7600K/7700K and undervolt that

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ElehemEare posted:

All I care about is maximizing vidja while minimizing power consumption, do I just buy an i5-7500 and call it a day? My i5-750 hurfs durf on Dark Souls III so I guess it's time.

Yup. The difference between the 7700k and 7500 in gaming is really minuscule, and it uses a good deal more power while being a good deal more expensive. The extra 4 threads on the 7700k help spergy encoding benchmarks and the like, but if you are just gamin' and surfin', the 7500 is probably the current sweetspot. Especially if you are doing the cool/quiet/small gaming thing, which im all about.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

eames posted:

soldering that IHS surely won't cost them much more than maybe 1% of MSRP, I doubt its because of the price

1% of a billion dollars is a new Porche for some middle management douche when he gets his bonus.

eames
May 9, 2009

7740X gets the treatment it deserves (pay attention to the first few seconds of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2_T-wq8qQ

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
They truly are the most bizarre set of processors in the world. Not only does it still have the IHS air gap but it also has the IGP removed so you don't get QuickSync or a backup video output. All of this so you can pay around double the price for a motherboard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

jeffreyw posted:

They truly are the most bizarre set of processors in the world. Not only does it still have the IHS air gap but it also has the IGP removed so you don't get QuickSync or a backup video output. All of this so you can pay around double the price for a motherboard.

They'd have honestly been better off lasering two cores off a 6-core Sky-X and calling them the 7780 and 7790, retaining the 'full' 28 PCIe lanes and full X299 support. And they'll probably end up doing that in a few months as a new 'budget' option. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They'd have honestly been better off lasering two cores off a 6-core Sky-X and calling them the 7780 and 7790, retaining the 'full' 28 PCIe lanes and full X299 support. And they'll probably end up doing that in a few months as a new 'budget' option. :rolleyes:

There'll probably be a lawsuit over the big fat asterisk on the x299 platform. "We've got 4GB of ram but you can only really use 3.5" and "We've got 28 PCIe lanes but only 16 work most of the time" sound awfully alike to a non-technical person, especially when there's reams of marketing material. Hope they didn't miss an asterisk on anything printed anywhere.

There's also the upcoming fun of discovering that it's not even really upgradable either, because when some poor sucker does go buy an i9 and drop it in there in a year or so he's not going to wave the chicken around counterclockwise 5 times and whoops there goes the magic smoke because someone let FIVR proponents put it on a top-end chip instead of mobile, and only on some of the parts on the same socket, and it causes a complete failure instead of gracefully switching.

E: Is there anything extra lasered off on a 7700K compared to a 7700? They used to nuke a bunch of things when they unlocked the multiplier.

E2: According to the features they report, the only flags the K is missing is "Trusted Execution Technology". Nice. I remember having to decide between overclocking and VT-d for sandy bridge.

Harik fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 25, 2017