Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:psyboom:

Jeeeeesus H, how does a game like this even enter gold status? It's the worst example of a game made by committee and or time crunch. I wonder the kind of weight a monolith like Disney was swinging around in which characters would be allowed in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

I only play characters with brain dead setplay so I don't have to think about playing the game once I catch an errant sweep

i pick the hottest babes that's why my favorite kof charactters are benimaru and takuma

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mysterious loyall X posted:

i pick the hottest babes that's why my favorite kof charactters are benimaru and takuma

thats why i pay kula

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

thats why i pay kula

My Man!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dont play kula i just wanted to make an ice joke

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

quote:

What we've noticed is the better players instantly get what we're going for. They are just like, "Oh my gosh. The amount of creativity I have here."

if you don't get it, you aren't a good player. sorry haters

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Can you tell us one character that definitely won’t be in the game?

[Laughs] One that defiantly won’t be in the game… we’re not going to have Taopaipai in the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Seriously, has this "Games as Service" philosophy created a single quality title? Why would people be excited for a game's main focus to add in as much useless poo poo as possible to make the most money? Why would anyone support this? It would be like people supporting the original Xbox One concept of no used games and always online.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 24, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously, has this "Games as Service" philosophy created a single quality title? Why would people be excited for a game's main focus to add in as much useless poo poo as possible to make the most money? Why any of this poo poo?

Hitman and then square deleted it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It's the loving mobile game market. Companies are making money hand over fist with the freemium model so logically companies think it will transfer to other platforms.

Hopefully it's failing and we'll go back to $80 new, complete game releases.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously, has this "Games as Service" philosophy created a single quality title? Why would people be excited for a game's main focus to add in as much useless poo poo as possible to make the most money? Why would anyone support this? It would be like people supporting the original Xbox One concept of no used games and always online.

paradox games have been p. good with that kind of philosophy the past couple of years

although even then there's been some misses

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

punk rebel ecks posted:

Killer Instinct is solid as gently caress

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
I think games with larger rosters should be 60-70% female and 30-40% male. Guys are fairly likely to pick girls. Girls play as girls almost exclusively.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It really is. It was also the first FG to do it, and do it successfully. To me the most hilarious part about capcom is that they're completely loving up something that was completely proven to work 2 years previously with very positive feedback.

Cis Lord fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 24, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

punk rebel ecks posted:

like, every ccg that isnt hearthstone and on pc, several mmos, path of exile. theres plenty lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

punk rebel ecks posted:

KI, DOA, Skullgirls have all iterated on this approach to varying degrees of success.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Capcoms understanding of how to do a boring nrs story is so bad that even casuals can tell the games suck.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Cis Lord posted:

It really is. It was also the first FG to do it, and do it successfully. To me the most hilarious part about capcom is that they're completely loving up something that was completely proven to work 2 years previously with very positive feedback.

microsoft has infinitely more money than modern capcom

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Now if only you could just disable all the goddamn sparks and loving particle effects! Good loving lord.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think this is the only exception I can think of. To be fair, KI doesn't go that far down that hole as it may seem.

anime was right posted:

like, every ccg that isnt hearthstone and on pc, several mmos, path of exile. theres plenty lol

I guess but card games and MMOs are hardly typical genres, as one is a virtual community and the other is a...well card game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Then you'd see the iffy textures and stuff more though.

I like that the game goes balls out in a particilar direction, even if its not my taste. Restraint is overrated

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hate KI but it does the season pack model right. The issue isn't the MODEL Capcom tried to copy, it's HOW they've implemented it. I'll take free rebalances and paid DLC characters any day of the week, at the end of the day I don't need to buy Alex. I'll also take virtual money to buy dumb stuff, hell, I'll take lootboxes. But when you overprice everything, make it ridiculously hard to buy even cosmetic stuff by just playing the game and can't even support your game correctly, then gently caress you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also when the game itself is ugly as poo poo and boring to play you messed up on Step 1.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Has Iron Galaxy/MS given a definitive date on when they're going to be done with KI? I thought that last disc they put out was supposed to signify they were done adding new content but they keep announcing poo poo and I don't care enough to keep up with it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Capcom being like "oh you can try our new chars free 2 hours into story mode" is hot bullshit. Dlc fighters should be free in training mode got dang it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Has Iron Galaxy/MS given a definitive date on when they're going to be done with KI? I thought that last disc they put out was supposed to signify they were done adding new content but they keep announcing poo poo and I don't care enough to keep up with it.

Season 4 appears to be the final season but there hasn't been an official word yet.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Games as Service can work, but only if it is built upon a strong stable product. If a developer already has a game that is high quality, has good content, and is well polished, and is merely using the DLC to add on to that by adding more characters to an already well rounded roster, costume/color packs, etc, then that is fine.

The issue is that Capcom, like most developers who venture into the GaS model, does not want to have a solid product at first, due to then being worried that if the launch of the game has a well rounded roster and options, then few people would be compelled to purchase DLC because they are satisfied from what they got out the game. So they decide to prematurely release the game with less characters and features. Unfortunately, this also means that the game likes polish, particularly in things such as netcode, QOL options, and even the core combat system. And due to Capcom focusing on costumers and the like for DLC to make money, patches to fix these core issues gets ignored.

That's why people are so skeptical of the game. It reeks bullshit, and seems to be a doubling down on Street Fighter V's poo poo model.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BattleTech posted:

Season 4 appears to be the final season but there hasn't been an official word yet.

Fair enough, I hope so because I'd like to buy a definitive all-in-one disc someday and I thought that's what the last disc was supposed to be.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

In Training posted:

Everybody post your mains

Kazumi, Millia, Makoto, Yuri/Kula/Athena, Karin, Muramasa

Chipp (#Reload), Rose (A2), Makoto (3S), Sasquatch, Akuma (Vanilla SF4), Ms. Fortune, V. Akiha, Ky (Xrd)

pretty balanced overall i'd say

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 24, 2017

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

:japan:, May, Steve Fox, J.Talbain, Makoto (3s), Rera, Linne

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Boxer, Rose, Charlie, Alex, Honda, Nash, Q-Bee, Leo

I don't see much of a pattern either in terms of aesthetics or playstyle

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

In Training posted:

Valentine, Robo Fortune, Cerebella; Rash; Jack-O, Ibuki

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I should have specified. Makoto (BB). And Sakura (A2) now that you mention it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Every time i think i have a main i end up switchin it up soon after.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reiley posted:

:japan:, May, Steve Fox, J.Talbain, Makoto (3s), Rera, Linne

I really love the design of Steve (it's awesome that his boxer status overrides the most basic design of each button is a limb) but I'm really bad at stance based characters

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh and Rise (P4U)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

I really love the design of Steve (it's awesome that his boxer status overrides the most basic design of each button is a limb) but I'm really bad at stance based characters

It makes a lot of sense when you consider "fancy footwork" as being an action you'd assign to leg buttons. He seems really popular but he also has a really clever design so everyone wants to play the fun guy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love his animation on that punch where you can put his back parallel to the ground and throw a vertical haymaker

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
O.Sagat (lol like I can play ST), Rose/Chun (A2), Chun (3S), Rose/Poison (SF4), Chun (SFV), H-VSion/F-Aoko/F-Roa (Melty), Millia (GG), and I guess now Kazumi? I used Teddie for the 20 games or so of P4A I played online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
my mains;