Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Happy anniversay Sonic people. Here's a design for Eggman in his youth.

Source

More an "Eggboy", really.

Eggboy is the missing link between the Mario and Sonic design philosophies

And maybe Professor Layton's

I like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PSO2 sounds cool. Why couldn't Sega officially bring it over to the west?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
https://www.facebook.com/datadiscs/posts/1777005385945016?pnref=story

Sonic Mania on vinyl.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Shadow Hog posted:

PSO2 strikes me as a really weird game. What other game has you in a Sonic-themed lobby, then lets you attend an in-game idol concert, then lets you fight the Statue of Liberty riding a Sphinx, then lets you pretend you're playing a different game entirely by teleporting you to Urth's Fount in the South Shroud to fight Final Fantasy XIV's Odin?

Actually, I kinda wish the PSO2/FFXIV crossover went both ways. Just handwave whatever technologically-advanced poo poo PSO2 has that wound up on Hydaelyn with "the Allagans did it" (it's usually what they do anyway). No, we got Yo-Kai Watch stuff instead... (bleh...)

At least FFXIV got Garo! That's pretty neat.

PSO2 was a very fun game, I wish it released on english servers.

Happy Sonic Bday, guys. Here's OCRemix's celebration

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just play the JP version you dorks, it's essentially painless to get set up and get the fan translation going.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Embarrassed to admit I'll probably be buying this.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mistakes Into Miracles

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sonic is JAPANESE

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Frankston posted:

Sonic is JAPANESE

That's what they said about Daniel Inouye, but just like Sonic he became a True American Hero.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/878351869147365376

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dabir posted:

Just play the JP version you dorks, it's essentially painless to get set up and get the fan translation going.

But I'm into the lore of it all, and they haven't translated the summoner class fully.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

on on first date with and beautiful girl an she just described her longboarding hobby to me w a sonic metaphor about momentum. .Tried to play it cool (i justRan to bathroom to post thIs;,(

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Skeletome posted:

1 and 2 for the best 100 words defending your favourite of Sonic's friends that everyone else hates. Why is Big the Cat great? Why should we care about the Babylon Rogues? Any character outside of the Tails and Knuckles basically

Big & Sonic have a lot in common. Both characters are relaxed, easygoing, they care about their friends and their world. Their only difference is the pace at which they live. Who are we to judge Big for daring to live slow in such a fastpaced world?

Big deserves better.

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah. Based on how act 2 starts I feel like we're probably going to have a miniboss at the end of every act 1 too.

I think the new stages (Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon etc.) might not have minibosses, Studiopolis Act 1 ends with you passing a signpost traditionally and there's unique behavior for it (it flies up into the air after you run past it, so you can juggle it like after you clear a miniboss). This fits with the Heavies being bigger boss encounters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Big the Cat does not give a gently caress.
If the world was ending and demons were rising from hell, Big the Cat would continue to fish and relax the days away with Froggy. He has no gently caress to give because the only gently caress he was given is for Froggy. If Froggy were to be kidnapped, Big would topple empires, destroy a thousand year old civilization devoted to the rebirth of the ultimate evil, brave every frontier and face down against anything that would stand in his way. Because Big only has one gently caress to give, and buddy, you aint Froggy.

100 words exactly.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 24, 2017

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

beep by grandpa posted:

on on first date with and beautiful girl an she just described her longboarding hobby to me w a sonic metaphor about momentum. .Tried to play it cool (i justRan to bathroom to post thIs;,(

On Sonic's birthday no less, I think this is a sign.

Made some chili dogs after I got home from work, as I often like to do on this day. This time I even remembered to add the olives. Linked because it's hueg

http://i.imgur.com/ltPrLXJ.jpg

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Frankston posted:

Sonic is JAPANESE

He's a dual citizen of the U.S. and Japan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are the controls in Sonic Unleashed twitchy as gently caress or is it just me/my controller? Like a slight pressure on the stick shoots Sonic off a million miles away, I feel like I need to turn the sensitivity down or something.
Biggest challenge in the game so far is walking in a straight line.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sakurazuka posted:

Are the controls in Sonic Unleashed twitchy as gently caress or is it just me/my controller? Like a slight pressure on the stick shoots Sonic off a million miles away, I feel like I need to turn the sensitivity down or something.
Biggest challenge in the game so far is walking in a straight line.

go home sonic you're drunk

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah Unleashed doesn't care how far you push the stick.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

i don't read the comics, but are those his feet or socks or some weird boots

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
AHHHhh'okay

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dresh posted:

On Sonic's birthday no less, I think this is a sign.

Made some chili dogs after I got home from work, as I often like to do on this day. This time I even remembered to add the olives. Linked because it's hueg

http://i.imgur.com/ltPrLXJ.jpg

Were the onion rings a deliberate choice in honor of Sonic?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Lessail posted:

i don't read the comics, but are those his feet or socks or some weird boots
Those are his feet. Big only wears sandals, much like Tikal; it's just Sonic characters have blob feet as of Adventure for some reason, so he doesn't have toes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It turns out I am incapable of hitting the high notes of Scratch's voice (like, completely - I can't do a single syllable), so here is an ode in defence of Cream the Rabbit:

Cream is as cool as her mother is hot,
making GBS threads on edgelords and smiling a lot.
She hits every zone with an enthusiastic wave,
As her homing-Chao no-sells all bosses in range.

When Blaze tried to emo the whole way through Rush,
Cream dunked on that poo poo and said “lol, suck it up”.
So Blaze unbunched her panties and learned how to mellow,
And they skipped through the credits to go and mock Shadow.

With ears that can lift up a two-ton cat,
Cream will wreck your poo poo, so let’s leave it at that.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 24, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know poo poo about the comics and yet that is exactly how I would have pictured Ken Penders looking like.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
Gravy Boat 2k
I just want to hit him with a chair

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I just want to hit him with a chair

I think you mean a Ch'air, a thing legall distinct from chairs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I love Penders talking about a Sonic movie, because you see, he did in fact, attempt to get one off the ground in the past and utterly hosed over Ben Hurst!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNteN_qlHp0

The Story posted:

I did consult with DIC to see if there was a way to generate some enthusiasm for a feature film to be the "Third Season" of SatAm. I was given the name of a SEGA executive and had a most pleasant conversation. She had to go to a meeting, but said she would like to talk to me more about the idea.

The next day, I got a call from Ken Penders, who had been alerted by his contact in their office that I was interested in getting a Sonic movie going. I generously offered to include him in the effort and told him my strategy. Get SEGA to become invested in the idea by hiring us to interview their creative game designers, execs, etc and see if we could develop a story line that would fulfill the third season - and simultaneously give them creative ideas to develop new games. A win-win, situation.

Then, I called SEGA back, but I was shocked when the exec "lit" into me, telling me, "People pay US to develop Sonic product, we don't pay them!" Then she hung up on me. Obviously, Penders had related my strategy to them in a less-than-flattering way. Thanks for the knife, Ken.

So, I gave up. Later, I was informed by friendly fans that Penders had written in his message board or some such place that "Ben Hurst doesn't know how movies are made in Hollywood." (Hey Ken, read "Adventures in Screenwriting" by William Goldman and get some humility) Then he dropped hints that HE would be the writer for a big Sonic Feature Film. That was three years ago.

So, if you're reading between the lines, you can see I don't hold out much hope for seeing the third season of Satam - or being the one who does it if it happens. And that makes me sad. Because if it were to happen, those 13 episodes would sizzle.

But this I've learned: Never leave a series on a cliffhanger unless you have a contract for the next year. And be more careful in my choice of people to confide in.

Oh yeah, and Penders has always looked like the absolute creepiest motherfucker.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

His current activity on his twitter account is him trying to push the blame on Ben Hurst for that project failing, actually.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

His current activity on his twitter account is him trying to push the blame on Ben Hurst for that project failing, actually.

Of course he is, because the dead can't defend themselves. It's always someone elses fault with Ken.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish the Christian Whitehead ports of 1 and 2 were on something other than phones. They're so drat good but I don't want to buy a crappy overpriced controller just to properly play them.:smith:

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

DizzyBum posted:

Were the onion rings a deliberate choice in honor of Sonic?

Absolutely they were!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish the Christian Whitehead ports of 1 and 2 were on something other than phones. They're so drat good but I don't want to buy a crappy overpriced controller just to properly play them.:smith:

After Mania one of my biggest hopes is a compilation release of Sonic 1 - & Knuckles (with CD) with the option to play original versions or Whitehead remasters, with Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails all playable in each of the remastered versions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

My XBox One S controller sync'd fine to my phone, but that's only if you happen to have those.

It shits up the controller mappings on most games, but it's hard to do that on Sonic.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
On that topic, Sega just rolled out a new initiative called Sega Forever and as part of that initiative they updated Sonic iOS with a wrapper that adds online-only DRM and ads - if you already own it you should be able to revert to the previous version (I say "should" because it was broken when I tried it) but if you're going in fresh you can only get the wrapped version as a free download with the option of paying $2 to remove the ads.

They released some other emulated Sega games with the same wrapper and they're complete trash.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

On that topic, Sega just rolled out a new initiative called Sega Forever and as part of that initiative they updated Sonic iOS with a wrapper that adds online-only DRM and ads - if you already own it you should be able to revert to the previous version (I say "should" because it was broken when I tried it) but if you're going in fresh you can only get the wrapped version as a free download with the option of paying $2 to remove the ads.

They released some other emulated Sega games with the same wrapper and they're complete trash.

They updated it again and I was able to restore ad-free. You're not kidding with the other games. I haven't seen such poor emulation in over a decade.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lovely-arse emulators is Sega's thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's Sega of not-Japan's thing, certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Comix Zone as it was meant to be played, with juttery screen rate and virtual controls.

I dont really understand what theyre thinking especially with many of these games already appearing on the Xbox One game pass which would indicate this isnt a strategy for consoles.