Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/billplunkettocr/status/878392525626540032

Protect your developing arms all you want and they might still break catastrophically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Wrapping up my honeymoon in Curacao. Drove by this today and had my wife take a pic.

Phone posting. Hope this isn't stupid big.

Sadly pretty baseball free here right now. There's a largish field in Willemstad that has been lit up at night a few times but when I stopped a guard at the gate told me the season wasn't going now. It was just a practice going on. Said it was OK to go in and watch but I didn't. I've been married a month. Taking my wife to a baseball practice on our honeymoon seemed unwise if I'd like to last longer.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 24, 2017

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Could mlb pls reschedule a game to coincide with the frikkin solar eclipse?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also this probably seals the avatar bet win for bewbies, unless Danny Duffy can inflate his FIP above 4.68 by year's end.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/_BenDiamond/status/878401457011249152

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Inspector_666 posted:

Way better than I thought it would be, but I still want to see him go up against guys who can control their fastballs.

I wish him success like with any baseball player. It'll be interesting to see what happens to that OBP.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Urias has age on his side so he might be able to recover fully and still be able to play baseball

But man, that's like, the worst possible outcome

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Urias has like half a decade to recover and make a normal-rear end age debut in the majors.

If the Dodgers don't do anything stupid he should be fine, just won't be a phenom is all.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
remember when Rogers wanted to trade Jeff Hoffman for Dan Duquette

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Isn't Chris Young the slowest fastball in baseball now that Jered Weaver is done?

e: Huh his velocity actually went up after the surgery

2010 84.7, 2011 84.6, 2012 84.6, 2014 85.2, 2015 86.4, 2016 87.8

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 24, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Isn't Chris Young the slowest fastball in baseball now that Jered Weaver is done?

e: Huh his velocity actually went up after the surgery

2010 84.7, 2011 84.6, 2012 84.6, 2014 85.2, 2015 86.4, 2016 87.8

I just went through two solid years of hearing about 'perceived velocity' every single time he took the mound so let me tell you about....

If you listen to the Royals announcing crew it's like he's throwing 98-100. Here's where I note that Rex Hudler is still on the Royals announcing crew and often makes me watch games on mute.

e: In all honesty being super tall and throwing a bunch of high fastballs probably really does make it look like the ball is coming in way faster, and probably made him effective enough to still have a career and actually be pretty good in 2015. I just got really tired of hearing about it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 24, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

every time i see mark prior on one of those lists, i immediately think of
http://www.theonion.com/article/mark-prior-just-needs-to-stop-by-hospital-for-a-se-6062

e: lol a chris young cameo in that article

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So for some reason Jeb Bush is now in Tagg Romney's investment group after leaving the Jeter one. There is also a 3rd potential buyer for the Marlins, a local Cuban-American businessman from Miami

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ha, just found out the Royals DFA'd Chris Young today. So no, he definitely doesn't have the slowest fastball in the majors at the moment.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
N : release

V: grilli

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Send Musgrove down keep Martes up whenever the next SP comes off the DL

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Aaron Judge is my Large Adult Son, but Ronald Torreyes is my Small Adult Son.

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/878474519685607424

EDIT: Holy poo poo the Yankees DFA'd Carter, Austin is getting called up for the Saturday game.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 24, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

Aaron Judge is my Large Adult Son, but Ronald Torreyes is my Small Adult Son.

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/878474519685607424

EDIT: Holy poo poo the Yankees DFA'd Carter, Austin is getting called up for the Saturday game.

I can think of no more fitting end to Chris Carter's Yankee career than him coming up in the bottom of the 10th with a runner on 3rd and 1 out, the announcers spending his entire AB talking about if he gets 2 strikes on him he's going to strike out swinging, him striking out swinging on a 1-2 count, the crowd booing him mercilessly, and then little Ronald Torreyes getting a walkoff hit 3 pitches later.

The human side of me feels bad for the guy but the baseball fan in me was so ready for this after that AB.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It means they don't have a backup 1B now, though, unless they're willing to put Holliday into that role "full-time."

Yankees really dropped the boom on him, hard. They have at least 2 bullpen arms they could have moved to have both Austin and Carter on the roster.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

It means they don't have a backup 1B now, though, unless they're willing to put Holliday into that role "full-time."

Yankees really dropped the boom on him, hard. They have at least 2 bullpen arms they could have moved to have both Austin and Carter on the roster.

I don't get their roster construction at all this year. They are already playing with a 3 man bench and they're so scared of having to sit without injured Chase Headley on the DL for 10 days, they're just going to go ahead and not have a backup infielder for if one of Torreyes, Didi or Castro have to leave the game. So, essentially the bench right now is the BUC Romine and 4th OF Mason Williams.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Mariners are TWO GAMES over .500!!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm very ready for Keuchel and Morton and McHugh to get healthy

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

I don't get their roster construction at all this year. They are already playing with a 3 man bench and they're so scared of having to sit without injured Chase Headley on the DL for 10 days, they're just going to go ahead and not have a backup infielder for if one of Torreyes, Didi or Castro have to leave the game. So, essentially the bench right now is the BUC Romine and 4th OF Mason Williams.

Yeah, they insist on carrying bullpen arms they're never going to use outside of another 18 inning slog. And that's ignoring the fact that Holder has been not so great of late and a trip back to AAA to get sorted out might be the proper move anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I think the 3 man bench is stupid and tonight was a good example of why with Girardi not being able to pinch run for Sanchez in the 10th and your backup C is suddenly also your backup 3B (and sorta/kinda your backup 1B, 2B, and SS).

But trading Austin for Carter doesn't really change that one way or another. If anything Austin's more versatile than Carter since he's played some OF and 3B. Which come to think of it, could be a problem if Girardi decides he has a backup 3B now.

But the Yankees should probably consider carrying an actual bench.

And no, DFAing Carter isn't necessarily the best roster move but I was ready for it after that AB. And he probably had turned the Yankee Stadium crowd against him tonight for the forseeable future. But really, they should carry a bench.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Some Numbers posted:

It's a Christmas miracle. :woop:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, I think the 3 man bench is stupid and tonight was a good example of why with Girardi not being able to pinch run for Sanchez in the 10th and your backup C is suddenly also your backup 3B (and sorta/kinda your backup 1B, 2B, and SS).

But trading Austin for Carter doesn't really change that one way or another. If anything Austin's more versatile than Carter since he's played some OF and 3B. Which come to think of it, could be a problem if Girardi decides he has a backup 3B now.

But the Yankees should probably consider carrying an actual bench.

And no, DFAing Carter isn't necessarily the best roster move but I was ready for it after that AB. And he probably had turned the Yankee Stadium crowd against him tonight for the forseeable future. But really, they should carry a bench.

Yankees have said Austin is just a 1B now, no more OF. So he doesn't bring any flexibility.

They should just send Headley to the DL to heal/stop sucking and call up Wade, they've literally been grooming the guy to fill this role.

It's also amazing that Carter went from 41 HRs in 2016 to being dropped from a team in June of 2017, the game has changed so much so fast.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am starting to believe I might see the Dodgers win 100 games.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I saw the Yankees mentioned as a target for Matt Adams, so that might be the solution to that problem.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

It's also amazing that Carter went from 41 HRs in 2016 to being dropped from a team in June of 2017, the game has changed so much so fast.

He's an unbelievable player in the literal sense that I can't believe a guy can hit 41 home runs and finish 78th in offensive WAR in his league.

I remember when he was the big A's prospect when our best hitters were guys like Daric Barton and Ryan Sweeney and willfully ignoring all the red flags that suggested he would be so terrible at everything but home runs that you almost don't give a poo poo about the home runs.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bawfuls posted:

I am starting to believe I might see the Dodgers win 100 games.

They are really good this year

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

patonthebach posted:

N : release

V: grilli

Gibby just Yosted the poo poo out of the Jays

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Some Numbers posted:

I'm starting to hope! This is bad! Hope makes me vulnerable!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Miranda is pitching on Sunday.

I hope he is doing good because I was delivering some stuff to the Mariners clubhouse this past spring training mid game. No one I talked to knew where I was supposed to drop the stuff off and I was getting the run around.

Eventually I was just waiting around in the locker room, no one returning my calls, etc, and Ariel came up and asked me what was up and made a call and everything was taken care of. I honestly didn't even know who he was until I looked it up afterwards.

The best part was we were in the office of whatever manager I was dropping stuff off to, and Miranda dug around in the guys desk and pulled out a bottle of Johnny Walker Black from his hiding spot and took a couple of pulls. He wasn't in uniform so he wasn't pitching, or was done for the night, but I figured if he knew the secret stash spot and had the balls to drink it, he must be someone, which is why I looked him up later.

Either way that guy did me a solid when he didn't really have to so even though I don't really follow the M's, he's okay in my book. Could have given me a bit of the scotch though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Does anyone know where to find the MLB anime/manga pictures that everyone here used for avatars and stuff like 6-7 years ago?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
That's very cool! It's always such a pleasant surprise when pro players are nice people. Miranda has been doing pretty well--well enough that when Felix came back he wasn't the one knocked out of the regular rotation (Gallardo). He's been a capable back of the rotation starter. By no means an ace, but has given the team plenty of really valuable innings. Hope he keeps it up, since I'm not sure we can rely on Iwakuma even when he returns.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

That's very cool! It's always such a pleasant surprise when pro players are nice people. Miranda has been doing pretty well--well enough that when Felix came back he wasn't the one knocked out of the regular rotation (Gallardo). He's been a capable back of the rotation starter. By no means an ace, but has given the team plenty of really valuable innings. Hope he keeps it up, since I'm not sure we can rely on Iwakuma even when he returns.

Thanks! I mean I don't know for sure, it was a one off situation, and he was definately in a "i am so done right now" mode, but that almost made it better, because he was clearly checking out for the night but still made the effort! Props.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh hey I guess the Orioles tied the record for consecutive games allowing 5 or more

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Oh hey I guess the Orioles tied the record for consecutive games allowing 5 or more

At what point does Angelos realize that Duquette is not some sort of genius, but instead has systematically destroyed that 2012 team through moronic trades and horrific contracts?

Edit: Showalter's body language looks like he's just checked out, too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sox are retiring buerhle's number today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Yankees should pick up Grandson. As Manager.

• Locked thread