Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: We've done 5/6 of Sonia's Free Times already so let's spend our next Free Time finishing her events for good.

: We can find her in the library.

: There are so many cute pop idols in Japan! Seiko, Kyonkyon, Miporin, Gokumi... I love them all!

What should I do? Should I invite Sonia to hang out?

> Invite Sonia to hang out

: Who are you a fan of, Hajime? Please tell me!

I spent time today listening to Sonia passionately talk at length about Japanese pop idols... I probably don't deserve it, but it looks like Sonia and I grew a little closer...

> Definitely!

Gugelhupf Cake: This cake is said to be a favorite of Marie Antoinette. Its name is German for "priest cap".

: Could this possibly be from the legend that has been passed down, generation after generation...?
: Hajime, as I thought, you must be the person that I have been anticipating.
: I shall gladly take important care of this.
: This present has an Amazing rating.

: ...
: Ah...um, you know...
: ...I-If it pleases you, would you like to come to my room!? I am certain we will feel more relaxed there than being outside...
: Come, let us go!

...I feel like Sonia is trying a little too hard today. Maybe...something happened.

For now, I decided to walk to Sonia's cottage.

: I am terribly sorry... I have not kept this place very clean...
: It seems clean enough to me.
: R-Really...? I do not have much experience taking care of myself, so there are still things I do not understand.
: Thus far, I have managed to understand how to turn on the shower... But I did not know I also had to turn it off, so I accidentally flooded the floor.

I guess...that sounds like something a princess would do.

: ...So, what happened?

: Huh...? Wh-What...?
: Well, something happened, right? You're...acting a little different than usual so...
: How...How could you tell?
: Uh...I'm not sure... I could just tell by looking at you.
: I-If you can tell...then I guess I cannot hide things from you.

She looked a little relieved when she said that, and gave me a relaxed smile. It seems she understands that she doesn't need to try so hard.

: ...I had a nightmare.
: ...Nightmare.
: A nightmare where something dreadful happened...and I was unable to return to my homeland...
: And when I woke up...I felt extremely scared...a-and...

: I...I want to go home! Right now! I want to go back to my homeland where my family and people are waiting for me!

As she shouted, Sonia collapsed and...

: Wh-Whoa, Sonia!

I managed to catch her before she hit the ground. She was crying... Sobbing and scared out of her wits, like a normal girl.

Right now...she's finally acting normal. She's been holding it in...for so drat long.

I held her and patiently waited for her to stop trembling.

: Are you all right now...?
: Y-Yes...um...
: I feel much better, thanks to you. My energy seems to have returned somewhat.

Though her eyes were still a little red, Sonia finally showed me her smile.

: Hajime...I finally realized what you are... You completely match the description of the legendary hero passed down in my country.
: ...Say what?
: Um...the legend goes like this:
: The hero...wears a white shirt, and possesses an antenna that can sense danger... With a face lacking distinguishing characteristics, he shall bring light to the tropical land...!
: Are you serious!?
: There is no mistake... This legend must be speaking of you...Hajime! You wear a white shirt just like the legend says, and your hair looks like an antenna! And your face...is completely unremarkable!
: ...P-Please, stop it already!

: According to legend, the hero will stand alongside the princess and freely swing the Golden Makango...
: A Makango is an animal, right!? Is it really okay to swing around a living creature!?
: And then, the legend says they will establish something resembling order and prosperity to the kingdom!

Wait, not actual order and prosperity...? Just a resemblance...?

: After all this time, Hajime... So...you were my destined one...
: U-Uhhhh...that's totally not it...

: Hajime, when we safely escape this island, please come with me to the Novoselic Kingdom!
: And then, when the time comes, let us capture the Golden Makango!
: If you do, you will be formally acknowledged as the legendary hero... And you will be able to rule the Novoselic Kingdom alongside me.

D-Does that mean...?

But...a life like that doesn't sound so bad.

No, actually...it sounds AWESOME!

: However...you might need to study a bit more before you can become my husband and the king of Novoselic. You will need to know 30 foreign languages, economics, international law, diagnostic medicine...
: How am I supposed to do all that!? I'll be an old man before I'm finished!

: Hmhmhm, let us do our very best.

Well...anyway, I'm glad Sonia feels better now. I'm sure everyone else won't feel like their usual selves if they don't see Sonia's smile.

...I can feel a strong bond with Sonia, and as long as I have this bond... I will never give up. I swear I'll leave this island with everyone.

: Envious Influence is the upgraded version of Attentive Influence. We'll get even more bonus HP when we equip it! The two skills can't be combined.
: Completing Sonia's Free Time Events also unlocks a trophy/achievement titled A Royal Affair.
: Lastly, whenever we manage to complete someone's Free Time Events, I'll make room at the end of the update to include their official character art.

After listening to Sonia's plans for the future, I returned to my room...

: Well I don't know about you, but I certainly wasn't expecting to get pseudo-engaged to a princess when this whole thing started.

It's almost time to meet Ibuki... We had to meet at the supermarket. I should head over.

: Good evening, meow! Right here, Hajime!
: Hey Ibuki... Uh, what's with those piles of cardboard boxes?
: Tee-hehehehe... Summer's all about fireworks!
: Fireworks?
: "Dirty fireworks disappear into the sky!" It's a lyric from "Christmas Festivitrees"!

: Now Hajime, let's carry these cardboard boxes to the beach and I'll leave the setting up to you!
: Huh!? All of *this*? Just the two of us?
: My my, you're pretty gutsy, Hajime... Are you saying you wanna be alone with me on the beach at night?
: N-No, I didn't mean that!

: Nyahaaa, I'm just kidding! I also invited the others, like Chiaki and Akane!
: Everyone else brought all the fireworks here. We can just leave the rest to Hajime so Ibuki and the others can change into their yukatas!
: Huh, yukatas?
: Yesssssss! Or as Sonia would say, "Japanese Yukatas"! If you work hard here, you can see Sonia, Mikan, and Nekomaru allllllll wearing yukatas!
: I-I see... Yukatas, huh...

: Hehehe... Looks like some "give and take" has been established...
: Wait, hold on, Nekomaru's coming too? If you invited him, then why isn't he here right now?
: Nekomaru helped us out during the day! Now it's your turn so I'll leave everything to you! *leaves*
: ...Ah! H-Hey, Ibuki!?

She...didn't even hear me...

I let out a sigh, picked up the cardboard boxes, and started walking toward the beach...

It's not like...I was lured by the yukatas...!

: Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh!
: Yahoooo! A firework disappeared into the sky!
: J-Japan's summer... N-Nervous summer...!
: It's gonna be fine. There's no way the sparks will fall all the way here.
: Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh!
: A-Amazing! How wonderful!
: Heh! This sure is fun!
: Hey, why is Nekomaru shouting like that?
: Don't you know? That's what you do when the firework goes up.
: I see... That's pretty interesting.
: You go, girl!
: Huuh? Was that...okay as is?
: Hajimeeeeeee! Get 'em up there more!
: I know, I know...
: Hajime, once you finish launching that one, I'll trade with you! Enjoy the fireworks too!

Music fades out.

After having such a fun time, I returned to my cottage with a feeling of satisfaction.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... It is now 10:00 p.m. Please return to your rooms and relax. Let the sound of the ocean gently rock you to sleep. Now then, sweet dreams everyone. Good niiiiight...

It's not like I have anything I need to do, so I should just get some sleep for today... It should be okay to have a peaceful day like this for a change.

: It's a waste of time to constantly worry about things. Well, if you really wanna waste time that badly, I won't stop you. I'm not saying that killing meaningless time is bad or anything. I mean, even happy times, sad times, painful times, fun times, times you want to remember or want to forget... They all end up becoming nostalgic memories eventually. So...isn't killing time by worrying about things an effective way of dealing with that worry?
: Puhuhu, do your best at worrying about things and killing time.

----------

Sonia Nevermind's character art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This sounds horrible but it's nice to see Sonia's emotional breakdown simply because it makes her more realistic.

Also of course Hajime is enough of a dweeb to not join in on the Yukata fun.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That fireworks event is adorable. It's very... humanizing?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Sonia is my favorite character at this point aside from Chiaki, so I really didn't like that 'since she's still alive' line on the last page and hope the hurry to max her friendship out wasn't in advance of anything. :ohdear:

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Zoe posted:

Sonia is my favorite character at this point aside from Chiaki, so I really didn't like that 'since she's still alive' line on the last page and hope the hurry to max her friendship out wasn't in advance of anything. :ohdear:

I'm so paranoid about both of them, Chiaki especially. They seem too nice, just like Maizono did in DR1. But at the same time I can totally buy them being just normal good people like Asahina.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Zoe posted:

I don't know why you're so worried. Clearly we are just a few updates away from the end of the game and everyone is going to survive from here on out :).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BlazeEmblem posted:

I don't know why you're so worried. Clearly we are just a few updates away from the end of the game and everyone is going to survive from here on out :).

:hfive:

Spoilers but everybody just hangs out in their yukatas from here on out and it turns into a romantic VN.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe Hajime just got engaged.

I also can't believe I didn't look at all of the Social Links Free Time Events for this game before.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Hey sorry everyone, I've been too busy being dead from happiness after the announcement of two new Metroid games today to finish writing an update but I've left this hanging for so long while I finished up my summer class that I wanted to post something even if it's super short. (Also the class is done now so I should be able to resume a more regular update schedule.) So, apologies for the extremely short length of the update, and look for the next one in a day or two.

---------------

(it's different than usual)

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make...

: Good mornin'! Looks like today's gonna be another perfect, tropical daaaaaay!
: What the...!?
: Hehe! What a huuuuuuge success! I received such a nice reaction!
: I-Ibuki!? H-How'd you get in here!?

: Jeez, Hajime...you're so careless.
: Careless...? I made sure I locked the door.
: And I destroyed that worthless lock!
: Why'd you destroy it!?

: ...Meh, who cares. More importantly, there's something important I need to tell you!
: Wh-What...?
: Heh heh heh... Four "hehs".
: ...No, that was just three.

: Aaarrgh! If you've got time to nitpick others, then hurry up and meet me at the restaurant!
: I'll explain the details there! Sooooo...I'm counting on ya! *leaves*

She's...like a hurricane... But she did take the time to come all the way to my cottage to summon me... Did something bad happen again?

: ...I'm feeling a little depressed now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
...Ibuki is literally Haruhi Suzumiya without the supernatural stuff.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Never get excited at anything shown at e3. You will be disappointment in some way.

Hooray for classes though! That's worth excitement!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Oh, his lock's broken now. This will certainly be of no relevance in the near or distant future.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Was Ibuki imitating Monobear or did she just talk over him? That's some impressive vocal range either way.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

How is breaking the lock not against the rules? Is littering forbidden but vandalism not?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Never get excited at anything shown at e3. You will be disappointment in some way.

Son I am disappoint

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hope that every game the protagonists room gets damaged in some small way - first game it was the bathroom, this game it's the lock, maybe next the bed will catch fire like in The Young Ones

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Thanks for smashing our door Ibuki...

: Compared to yesterday, there are barely any people outside.

: Ah, good morning Hajime.
: Even if you ignore me, I'm already happy that our eyes have met. You really are a kind person.

: Anyway...after what happened to Fuyuhiko, you understand what I was saying a little better now, right?
: What...do you mean?
: Fuyuhiko involved himself in Peko's execution... I did say that it felt unpalatable to me... But Fuyuhiko returned to us alive...

: He used Peko's death as a stepladder so he could shine even brighter, and cling to an even stronger hope!
: You...!
: Huh? You don't agree?
: But it's decided that's what hope should be... That's why you and the others progressed forward.
: Oops, we should chat later. We need to be at the restaurant soon. I'll go on ahead. *leaves*

How long does he plan to keep saying such foolish things!?

: Ngh? Oh it's you, Hajime. Were you also summoned by Ibuki?
: Yeah, it seems so... Has she been going around waking people up? Did she break the lock to your room too?
: No, that never happened! I was awakened by a knock at my door going at a a 3-3-7 clapping rhythm and some shouting...

That sounds extremely annoying. Was I the only one whose room got broken into...?

: But for her to go to the trouble of waking us up... What in the world happened?
: I have a very bad feeling about thissssss! Let's make haste and head over! *leaves*

He's right...I should hurry up too.

: Surprisingly, Chiaki's not playing arcade games today. Only Sonia's hanging around.

: Good morning. I am so glad today is another clear, sunny day.
: Another? More like...

Actually, now that you mention it... Ever since we came to this island, it hasn't rained once. Why is that? No...it might be best if I don't think about that too deeply...

Music fades out.

When I arrived at the restaurant, the first thing I saw was...everyone's backs, as if they were forming a circle around something.

: ...Hey, what happened?

As I said that, I peeked over everyone's shoulders...

: I got something I wanna say!
: ...Fuyuhiko!? Is it okay for you to be moving around like this so soon!?
: Well...he shouldn't be okay...
: Whatever I say after this point... I apologize in advance if I make a mistake! My last name is Kuzuryu! My first name is pronounced, "Fu-yu-hi-ko"! I'm still an inexperienced member of my family's business! From this point forward, I hope we get along so we can get to know each other better!

: Just...what the hell was that?
: I-It's nothing, really... Just a greeting...

There's no way...that was "just" a greeting... And yet...I feel like that was the first time...Fuyuhiko ever greeted us.

: Um...that eye patch of yours...
: Ah...it's nothing.
: There's no way that's nothing, since...that eye is no longer...
: So you can't see out of it, huh...

: Heh...it's only one eye. Besides, don't I look like I've gained some prestige or somethin'?
: F-Fuyuhiko...

Music cuts out.

: Why are you acting all cool and stuff! Don't you understand the position you're in right now!?

H-Hiyoko...!

: Do you really think we'll forgive you that easily for what you did!?
: Don't you get it? It's your fault Mahiru is dead. ...No, not just Mahiru. Peko died because of you, too.
: It's all your fault!

: U-Um...Hiyoko... We've finally been able to get together with everyone...
: Huh? So what if we're all here? You better not say we're "friends" or something.
: There's no way a killer like him will ever be our friend!

: Yeah, you're right... It's all my fault... I already know that... It's my fault...that those two are dead...
: Are you...planning to just give us your "so what?" attitude?
: It's...not that...

As he squeezed out those words, Fuyuhiko suddenly collapsed to the ground...

: ...F-Fuyuhiko!?
: Huh...? What the heck?
: Hey, don't mess with me! Do you really think we're gonna forgive you if you just drop to your knees and cry!?
: Do you really think a half-assed apology will make us forget what you've done!?
: No...I don't think that at all...

*Stab*

...Huh?

: This is...
: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! It's blood! It's bloooooood!

: Haaaaaaaaaaah! Fuyuhiko...has slit his own stomach!
: ...Huh!?
: Whaaaaaaat!? Are you saying he cut open his own friggin' stomach!?
: Wh-What...what are you doing...?

: I-I didn't think...I'd be forgiven with such...a half-assed apology... But...if I don't do this...m-my feelings...won't feel resolved...!

: You fool! That doesn't mean you should slice your stomach!
: We must carry him to the hospital as soon as possible...!
: Y-You're right! Kazuichi...lend me a hand!
: Y-Yeah...sure thing.
: S-Stop it...I can walk there myself...!

: There's no way you can walk!
: Haaaah... Even though I took the time to patch you up, now I need to sew your wounds all over again!
: Tch...I feel so ashamed... I-In the end...I made trouble for everyone again...
: Wh-Who cares about that? Let's go!

*Mikan, Kazuichi, Nekomaru and Fuyuhiko all leave*

The others carried Fuyuhiko out of the restaurant. But...for those of us who were left there...

Well, this is awkward... How should I start up a conversation?

: Hey Hiyoko, I've been thinking about this for a while but...
: What would Mahiru say about all this? I know you guys were best friends so what do you think?
: What...would Mahiru say?

: What would Mahiru say...? She'd probably get mad...really mad... And after she got mad... ...

It's...definitely not possible... There's no way it'd be that easy to move on... We never had to think about death until we came to this island. So when we're forced to suddenly confront it, there's no way we'd know how we're supposed to deal with it...

We're...not that strong...

: Hmmm...this is a rare occurrence.
: If you're thinking about saying something inappropriate again...now's not the best time.
: No, it's not that... Does anyone know where Akane is?

: Ah...now that you mention it, she's gone. It's so strange for her to not join us for breakfast.
: Hmm, I have a bad feeling about that...too.
: A bad feeling...?

: I mean...hasn't she been acting a little weird these past few days?
: She's always weird.
: Mmm...but I'm a little worried, though.

She's not the one I'm worried about...

Music fades out.

An awkward feeling lingered as we finished breakfast. Soon after, we all decided to return to our cottages.

I've never felt so fatigued in the morning before... It's probably because of everything that's happened... But I should put that feeling aside and move on. There's no such thing as a useless day for us anymore.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please tell me she didn't take off after a Monobeast and get herself mauled.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, THAT'S one way of showing that you're genuinely apologetic. A stupid way mind you, but an effective one regardless.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
'cut his stomach' come on translation team, we're playing anime games, we know what seppuku is.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Graylien posted:

'cut his stomach' come on translation team, we're playing anime games, we know what seppuku is.

He was injuring himself as a form of penance, not trying to kill himself.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Not to mention unless it was Sonia saying it, no other character has really interspersed random Japanese words. We might know what seppuku means but I think including it would've been the wrong choice for the localization team to make.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
Eh, I guess, I found it a bit jarring, but I can see how it wouldn't be great either way, it's just a bit clunky imo

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Ibuki's looking awfully suspicious right now. Summoned everyone to the cafe, then never explains why. Fuyuhiko then cuts himself, distracting everyone from realizing Akane's not around. I'm gonna guess she pressured Fuyuhiko into it, but I don't have any idea why.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Most of the cast is available to talk to for Free Time. Since we've finished with Sonia, trying to do an event with her will just pass the time. Additionally, Fuyuhiko is unavailable since he's back in the hospital. So...

: Well I know I'm asking for trouble by doing this but here goes nothing.

: Fuyuhiko is so admirable...
: Such attitude! Such moxie! The title, Ultimate Yakuza, isn't just for show after all!

What should I do? Can I even hang out with someone like Nagito...?

> Invite Nagito to hang out

: I actually want to beg you to spend time with me... After all, everyone else hates me.

I spent time with Nagito today, but I was a little frustrated by the things he says... I guess Nagito and I grew a little closer today.

> Definitely!

Go Stone: A black and white stone used to play Go. This game was responsible for popularizing a lot of strategic concepts. The black and white colors might also induce despair.

: Hajime...um...I don't know how to say this, but...
: This is the first time I've ever received a gift that made me this happy... Thank you.
: This present has a Good rating.

...To be honest, I don't even know why I thought about talking to him. But I felt like the more I left him alone...the bigger my worried would start to grow.

: You have a scary look on your face. You don't have to be so cautious, you know. I won't do anything.

As he said that, he smiled at me.

Why is this guy...? No...thinking about it is a waste of time.

: Ah...are you thinking about doing something to me? That's wonderful. I'm totally up for it. I don't mind at all.
: Don't mess with me! I...I'll never go along with your plans.
: That's a problem. I don't want you guys to lose sight of yourselves because you doubt and hate me.
: I just...want to see you guys embody hope!
: There it is again... What in the world is this hope you keep talking about...? What are you planning to make us do...?

: ...Oh...why am I so misunderstood? I just want to believe in hope, you know?
: You should think about it seriously for once. What do you think hope is?

He's right...I've never actually given it much thought... Hope... For him, hope is...

> It's the opposite of despair

: Hope is...the opposite of despair, right?

: Of course not! Despair isn't something as grand as hope! Despair...is so small and inconsequential, just like me when I'm around you guys!

If that's not it... Hope... For him, hope is...

: I guessed. :shrug:

> Hope is absolute good

: Hope is...absolute good?

: That's right! That's exactly it! And you guys have the potential to embody it... Do you understand? Hope is a positive force... Everything created by it is an absolute good!
: As long as the seeds of hope have been planted, I will gladly kill someone...or be killed in return. The fact that I'm alive right now is already hope!

It's no use... I definitely don't understand what he's talking about at all. But even so, all I can say is... It doesn't seem he's trying to trick or trap anyone for the sake of his selfish desires. That's why...this is especially troubling.

: Huh? Are we done talking, Hajime? That's disappointing...but we can still talk anytime, right?
: After all, we're both friends who yearn for hope!

: If you remember back in Chapter 1, I it made a point to do Nagito's first Free Time Event. Well as it turns out, if you don't do that event in Chapter 1, you'll be unable to access any of the rest of Nagito's events for the rest of the game. This is because of his severe personality change during Trial 1 and the way the game queues free time events. Since his first event is just Nagito being a regular guy with Hajime still liking him, it doesn't make sense to allow that event after his personality shifts and Hajime's opinion of him goes down. Likewise, you can't progress any further than the first event with him in Chapter 1. This is one of the few times where Free Times and plot events actually pay attention to each other and I think the game is better for it.
: Will we see all of Nagito's events? I don't know; I just wanted to have the option available.

After listening to Nagito, I quickly left the area.

It's still bright out. There's still plenty of time today...

: There's no way I can just stay here and do nothing... Maybe I should try going somewhere.

: Next, we're going to meet with Gundham again. He was pretty entertaining and relatable last time, even through his whole "Demon Lord" thing.

: Do not anger me... I don't feel like talking to a mongrel right now.

What should I do? Can I even hang out with someone like Gundham?

> Invite Gundham to hang out

: Hmph. So you're not a mongrel?
: Fine, then try to prove to me what you are!

Gundham and I got fired up quizzing each other on the ecology of animals. Looks like Gundham and I grew closer today...

> Definitely!

Seven Sword: A sword discovered inside a clay doll excavated from the island. The blade has the unique characteristic of branching off into seven blades, but its number of uses is already maxed out.

: Hmph...not a bad choice, coming from you. I should be able to make effective use of this.
: ...If you obtain something again, come show it to me.
: This present has a Good rating.

: Hold it... If you cherish your life, it's better if you don't come any closer. ...My magical beasts have a thirst to kill.
: You mean your hamsters? I thought they were docile animals...
: Just as I thought, you know nothing. You will know true terror if you look down on them just because they fit in your palm. They are cruel devil beasts that will devour their parents, their siblings...and even their own children. Their territoriality is frightening. They'll never stop attacking until their opponent is dead...

: Today's fight started when San-D got greedy and encroached upon Jum-P's territory. Jum-P was knocked aside and his foot stepped into Maga-Z's territory... Then Maga-Z got angry and unleashed his anger onto Cham-P...
: I was able to quell their rage by sacrificing my left hand, but it may not be that easy next time...!
: I-I see... That's troubling...

Could that be the reason Gundham's hand is always wrapped in that bandage...?

: By the way...do you know which species of my Four Dark Devas of Destruction has the largest body?

You mean, which species of hamster? Um...

> Golden Hamster

: Golden hamsters are the biggest species, right?

: Yes, those fearsome demon beasts boast the largest size among all hamster species... However, they are also the most docile and are known for being the smartest, too. Other tribes feel no fear. Thus, they give it their all when biting and ripping what stands before them...
: But only Goldens know fear. Thus, they usually do not bare their teeth once they recognize you.
: You're saying they understand what happens when they bite people?
: That's why you must pay attention to their stress levels when you're breeding them.
: Hmm... I certainly didn't know that.
: However, that isn't the only feature of Goldens. They have many other unlimited possibilities. Their fur color, quality, and patterns... You could even say they have unlimited combinations.
: After much research, the fruits of my labor were about to be born... A fearsome demon beast with sparkling silver fur, a hybrid creature with dominant spots and bands...!

: Keh... But now, all I can do is pray for the safety of the mother and child I've left behind.

I don't really understand what he's saying...but he seems to be worried about the hamsters he left behind.

: You were probably taking care of other animals, right? Um...are those demon beasts okay, too?
: There are no problems in that regard. I have pupils all around the world. I have already given them orders to continue my research into the synthesis of demon beasts.
: They know how to avoid any lethal genetics. They will carry out my will and conduct no atrocious experiments.
: Beyond that...I've already made arrangements to leave my demon beasts to those I trust.

He's...crazy prepared. Listening to Gundham makes me rethink how much of a responsibility it is to raise pets.

: You will never experience such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity... But if you ever do breed them, make sure you provide plenty of exercise, high quality food, and a place to sleep.
: Such luxuries mean everything to creatures who only live 1,095 days after they're born... Remember well. *leaves*

After saying that, Gundham walked away. I feel like I got a glimpse of the deep affection Gundham feels toward all animals, not just hamsters...

After seeing Gundham wallowing in sadness, I left the area.

No Music.

It's getting dark outside... It's nighttime already, huh...that felt fast.

: Ever since I arrived at this island, a day passes by abnormally fast...

*Ding dong*

: ...The doorbell? Does that mean...someone's here?

I cautiously walked toward the door and opened it slowly, wary of what might be on the other side.

: Nice to have met ya!
: It's the past tense of "nice to meet you"! You know, since we've already exchanged "nice to meet you"s!
: Ibuki...you again...
: Allow me to apologize for surprising you with my sudden visit...

: I'm sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!
: Well, it's a lot better than the last time when you broke into my room...
: Tahaaa! You must be the type who holds grudges! My ears and joints hurt!

...That means you have gout.

: ...So what do you want?

: Um...Ibuki doesn't get it either...but it looks like...an invitation was sent to everyone...
: ...Invitation?
: See, this thing.

What the... That's totally a girl's writing!

: Ah yes, only a girl could use Photoshop this well! :v:
: Let's see...a Recovery Party for Fuyuhiko at Titty Typhoon at 9:00 p.m.? What is this...? Is this Monokuma's doing again?

: H-H-How rude! Don't put that in the same category as Monokuma!
: ...Is this your doing?
: I-I-I don't know what you're...talking about...at all... I-Ibuki just...just brought the invitation...

...It's definitely her.

: Well then, Ibuki has some preparations so I'll go on ahead! I'll leave it to you! *leaves*

She even said "preparations"... She's completely behind this.

: Um...Titty Typhoon is that music venue on the 3rd island, right? Huh, 9:00 p.m... That's in 30 minutes!

But even though it's a party for Fuyuhiko's recovery, is he even going to be able to come...? After all, he just slit his stomach this morning...

: But she took the trouble to do this out of goodwill... I guess I should head over to the music venue.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
Ibuki: the master of subtlety :3:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I hope we get to see some of Ibuki's events.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. You know, the hamsters. I've been thinking of something. Hamsters can live for maybe like three years, so it seems fishy that this game is actually pulling the same trick as the last game, exactly. Even if it's only been a school year, that's a giant jump in age for a hamster.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Glazius posted:

Hm. You know, the hamsters. I've been thinking of something. Hamsters can live for maybe like three years, so it seems fishy that this game is actually pulling the same trick as the last game, exactly. Even if it's only been a school year, that's a giant jump in age for a hamster.

But not for a God of Destruction

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: There's no one to talk to out on the islands on the way over so let's just go on in to the party.

: Gundham and Nagito are waiting outside.

: Nagito... Ibuki invited you too, right?
: Yeah, I'm honored. But since everyone else is also going to be there celebrating Fuyuhiko's recovery...
: No matter what, I think it's too rude for someone like me to go inside before everyone else arrives...
: Ah, you don't have to worry about me. You can go inside first.

...Believe me, I'm not worried.

: Tonight's constellation...heralds the banquet that celebrates Fuyuhiko's resurrection...
: Fuhahahahahaha! How idealistic!
: Now then, let us begin the ceremony of darkness!

This guy... Oh, who cares anymore?

: I kinda wish the game had branching dialogue based on how far into someone's Free Times you were. Hajime just had a pleasant day hanging out with Gundham, getting closer to him, but this text completely blows him off. That's the sort of thing I'd love to account for if I were ever making a big, long, character-driven game like this.

: Let's head in.

Several people had already arrived at the music venue...but...

: F-Fuyuhiko...why are you...!?

: What...? Is it bad I came?
: No, not that...is it okay for you to move around?
: ...Yeah, it's nothin'.
: There's no way you're okay! You're seriously injured!

: They took the time to throw a party for me... There's no way I wouldn't come...
: I understand how you feel, but you really shouldn't overwork yourself...
: I'm not...overdoing...it...

: Fine then. Just let him do whatever he wants.
: B-but...
: It's fine, just let him be. Apparently yakuza have pain tolerance down to an art...

I can't believe he's actually forcing himself to join this kind of event... The old Fuyuhiko...probably wouldn't have come no matter how much we invited him. He's...probably trying his very best to change.

: But...it looks like Hiyoko definitely didn't come.
: ...That seems to be the case.
: And...Akane's not here too.
: Wh-What is that wild woman off doing? I hope she's not planning to do anything strange...

As if on cue, right when Nekomaru expressed his unease, that's when it happened.

*Flash!*

: ...Oh my!

Suddenly, the stage lit up very brightly, and the person who appeared was...

:siren: Click here to watch/listen to the concert! :siren:

: Heeeeey y'all! It's Ibuki Miodaaaaaa! Thanks for coming out today! My specialty is making beef stew! Haha, I may not look like it but people tell me that I'm a nurturing type. So I'm gonna do my very best performance so I can make everyone feel better. I hope you're all pumped up!

Just as I thought...that's what she was going for... Well, she is the Ultimate Musician, after all. I can't imagine what else she'd do at a music venue.

: All right, I'll start singing this first song with full-on energy! So put your hands together for..."From Me to You Too"!

Since she was originally a member of a high school girl's band that dominated the music charts...I can probably look forward to her musical stylings!

(This is the full 2-minute version of the song. In-game, the song cuts off after a minute.)

: The song is not translated in any way for the English release so I went looking for one and it turns out that both orenronen and Fedule translated the song for the previous DR2 LP. I'm just gonna grab their translations and insert them here. I don't know if this is just the translation for the shortened version in-game or the whole 2 minutes.

quote:

Literal translation by orenronen:

"Let My Feelings Reach You Too!" Words/Music/Vocals: Ibuki Mioda
"Kimi ni mo Todoke!"

I sent you a threatening letter
And added "I LOVE YOU" in invisible ink
But it doesn't reach you.
The straw doll I prepared in the hour of the Ox
Is looking at me, laughing
Cackling, cackling, cackling and laughing.
I thrust a spike into its chest
A hammer in my hand, and bang bang bang
Serves you right! Bang bang bang
Bang. Bang. Bang.
I signed our marriage registration with letters of blood
And put it in your mailbox tonight.
Let's have the ceremony in that other world
Let's have it. Let's have it.
Let my feelings reach.
Let my feelings reach you too.

Fedule's localization:

The letter I sent you expressing my rage,
confessing my love on the back of the page,
has disappeared, never to reach your hands.
In the hour of the Ox, at a shinboku tree,
a doll with your face looks up at me,
and laughs, and laughs, and laughs.

I hold a spike firmly in the middle of the chest,
I draw back the hammer and bang bang bang,
You bought this on yourself. Bang bang bang.
Bang! Bang! Bang!

Our marriage is sealed, the vows have been planned,
they’re written in blood and delivered by hand,
the ceremony to be held in that other world.
In that other world. In that other world.
Let my feelings reach,
Let my feelings reach you too.

: Thank you everyone!

: Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh! I'm gonna get c-u-r-s-e-d!
: S-Such an overwhelmingly baleful resonance! Even my Four Dark Devas of Destruction look less lively than usual!
: I-I too...am starting to feel chills...!
: With a title like "From Me to You Too", I thought it was going to be a sweet love song!
: I-If I recall...the reason why Ibuki left the high school girl's band was...
: Creative differences...

That...must be why.

: Yahooooo! It's awesome! That's the first time I've heard such a famous song!
: ...H-Hiyoko!?
: Ah, you came?
: S-So what if I did...? I was invited too, you know...

: But...if you're attending Fuyuhiko's recovery party, that means... You've...already...
: A-Are you stupid...? Don't misunderstand. THere's no way I'd forgive him that easily...

: Cause...he's a yakuza, you know? He's the type of person who preys on people by tricking them. Even now, he's probably just pretending to be sorry...so he can try to trick us!
: ...There is no way that is possible.
: No, I get why she'd think that of me...
: Yeah, that's right. That's why we're never going to believe in you. Get it? This doesn't mean we've made up or anything. I'm only cooperating with you until we get off this island.

: ...Huh?
: Just remember...if anything happens, you're the first one who's gonna get cut off.
: Sorry...
: Eeeee...I'm glad... I'm really...really...glad...

: Ew, don't cry! Pigs have no right to cry! You're grossing me out!
: It's hard to spot, but Hiyoko is also tearing up in this portrait.

I see...Fuyuhiko's not the only one who's trying to change... She's...also trying, huh. The old Hiyoko...there's no way she would've ever forgiven Fuyuhiko like this.

: ...Hey, what are you looking at?
: N-Nothing...

Somehow...even though it's little by little, I feel like things are starting to turn around... But...that's all the more reason to worry about *him*.

Monokuma... There's no way he's not going to do anything while he's watching us like this...right?

: Hey, how much longer are you guys gonna be bummed out!? I cam all the way here 'cause you said it was a party!
: C'mon Ibuki! Hurry up and start the next song!

: Roger! Thanks for waiting! Let's go right ahead to the next song!
: ...Huh? There's still more?
: Now that this recovery party is in full swing, I've got a ballad prepared that totally fits the mood... Grab a partner and slow dance to..."I Squeezed Out The Baby But I have No Idea Who The Father Is"!
: :stare:
: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!

: H-Hey! What's everyone doing here!?
: Whoa, Monomi!?
: Heeey, don't interfere! Aw, and I was enjoying such a fun party too!

: *Gasp!* ...I wasn't invited to the party...
: Kyahahaha! Obviously not! You'd ruin the party if you were here!
: *Double Gasp!*
: ...But seriously, now's not the time! Now's not the time to enjoy a fun party!
: ...Wh-Why?

: A-Akane...Akane is...

Music cuts out.

: Akane is dueling Monokuma!

: Wh-What did you say...?
: A-At this point, Akane's gonna be in danger... Please...do something...to save her!
: It looks like...my bad feeling was correct.
: That stupid fool!

: No...I'm the one who was the fool... It was my mistake to not keep my eyes on her!
: Tch...! As a team manager, I should've had a proper grasp of my athlete's private life... Dammiiiiiiit! This failure will haunt me for the rest of my life, or my name isn't NEKOMARU NIDAIIIIIIIII!!!
: N-Now is not the time for regret! Let us make haste!
: OF COOOOOOUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSE!
: Fuyuhiko finally returned to us... The thought of anyone else in our group getting taken...

: I won't allow it! I will never allllllooooow iiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt!!!
: Hey Monomi...! Where's Akane and Monokuma!?
: U-Um...they're at the beach where we first arrived at this island...
: Please hurry! If you don't, Akane's gonna get killed!
: You don't have to tell me! I'm going FULLLLL SPEEEEEEEED AHEEEAAAAADDDDDD!!! *leaves*
: We should hurry too. *leaves*

Nekomaru bolted from the music venue as fast as his legs could take him, and we followed him soon after. I...should hurry too...!

: Heeeeey...everyone...

: Thanks...thanks everyone...

: No, that's not it! I know Akane's in deep trouble but you guys suck! Screw this half-baked comfort! If this were a song title, it'd be "Salt Seeping Into My Broken Heart"!
: I don't really get it...but you look pretty bummed out.
: C'mon, you shouldn't make a fuss here. Let's hurry over to the beach already! *leaves*

She's right...I should hurry too!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I'm morbidly curious as to how that second song would have been like... with a title like that, it would be bound to be fascinating no matter what direction she went with it, but it's probably for the best we didn't find out.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't like Akane. She combines incredibly stupid with foolish recklessness.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 26, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Light music club. Heavy metal. Some things were never meant to be together.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

From me to You too oddly reminds me of Alice Cooper's Roses on White Lace.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't like Akane. She combines incredibly stupid with foolish recklessness.

I'm amazed you haven't commented on Fuyuhiko cutting himself yet.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's just as Nekomaru said...I can't stand any more situations where someone is taken...any longer...!

: There's no time to spare... I need to hurry over to the beach at the 1st Island!

: Once we get to the 1st Island, we find Chiaki standing by the bridge.

: Hey Chiaki! What are you doing!? We gotta get to the beach...

: Calm down.
: It's true we need to hurry, but there's no way you can make good decisions if you're so worked up.
: But if we don't hurry, Akane is...

: It's for the sake of saving Akane, too. We don't know what's beyond this point... That's why...we need to stay calm...I think.
: ... ...Yeah, got it. I'm okay now.
: Then...let's go.

Music fades out.

:siren: Click here to watch the first half of this scene in video form! :siren:

After running there at a full sprint, by the time I got to the beach and struggled to regain my breath...

I...saw a shocking scene unfold before me.

: A-Akane!
: Looks like you're just barely avoiding any fatal injuries... Yep, at least your agility is worthy of praise. But did you only challenge me so you could show me your sweet dance moves?
: D-Dammit...! Why...why can't I even graze you with my attacks!?
: Well, you know...we're on completely different levels. That means we view the world differently. It's like a character from a punk manga challenging an enemy from a superpowered battle manga. Puhuhu, it's obvious you can't win.

: Is she really serious about not even grazing it...? Akane...is just fighting a stuffed animal...
: Monokuma is an advanced machine... If it's designed for combat, it's probably capable of exerting such power... However...as far as speed is concerned, Akane is far faster than any athlete I've ever seen! And she says she can't even graze him with her attacks? Is that...even possible?

: However...because it's possible, that's why she's in this situation, right?
: As long as she's ended up like that, there's not much we can really do about it. At the very least, we should...overcome the despair of Akane's death, and use it as "fuel" to bolster our hope.
: ...Like Fuyuhiko did, you see.
: Don't gently caress with me!

: I...never want to feel that feeling ever again... If I have to feel that way again... I'll make sure I stop it, even if it costs me my life...!
: N-No, you can't! You'll really die if you keep overexerting yourself!
: It's...just a little life Peko gave me... It's not precious anyway...!

: You stupid idiot! That's all the more reason you need to take care of it!

: You guys stay back...! I'll take it from here...!

: This is NEKOMARU NIDAI's final firework! Make sure you sear it into your eyes!

: Now then, it looks like everyone's here, so I might as well finish this! Didn't I say I won't allow any rule violations against me? This...is what happens when you break the rules!

: Disappear!!!

Music cuts out.

The world shook...and turned stark white...as if the surrounding scenery and every sound was blown away by the impact...

...It was all completely white.

And within that white...I heard a voice.

: Ah...ah...

: N-Nekomaru!

: N-Nekomaru... Why did you...s-save...?
: Ha... Isn't it obvious...? Supporting their athletes...is...a manager's duty... H-However...

: Wh-What a shame... For someone like NEKOMARU NIDAI...to...

: It was just a little shot...from a bazooka... I really am the worst... Heh...hehe...hah...
: G-Get ahold of yourself! Nekomaru!
: Akane... The time I've spent with you...i-it...it wasn't so bad...

: Don't...die...Akane...
: ...Kh!

: N-...Nekomaruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

: Are...you kidding me...?

: A-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Nekomaru dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!
: Wha-...? Wha-Wha-Wha...? Holy craaaaap...! Instead of the rule violator...Akane...
: What a major failure! I ended up killing Nekomaru, who had nothing to do with this!

: H-Hold on... I-It's faint...but his heart is still beating...! He's not dead yet!
: ...Eh!?
: Then you gotta hurry and treat him!

: Hey Monokuma... You can do something about this, right...!? Save Nekomaru like you saved me!
: Th-That's right! If you kill someone who didn't violate the rules, that makes you the one who violated the rules!
: Then let's just say we're even!

: In exchange for forgiving Akane for breaking the rules, let's just say Nekomaru was the sacrifice...
: So isn't it okay to say we're even!?
: Y-You're not gonna save him!?

: Jeez...guess I have no choice. It's annoying, but it'd be boring if he died a meaningless death...
: Sooooo...for today only, I'll activate my special trump card.

And that's when it happened. A siren started ringing out of nowhere... And it gradually came closer and closer...

: ...Ha-wa-wa!? This again!?
: Just leave the rest to me: Doctor Killgood!
: He even recycled the same line again!
: We gotta get this patient to the Monokuma Hospital ER and get him under 24 hour observation, stat! Soooo I'll see you later!

And after he said that...the ambulance containing Monokuma and Nekomaru vanished from our sight.

: What...the hell...? Why did this...happen...?
: Hey...he's gonna be all right, right? Nekomaru's...gonna be saved, right?
: O-Of course! He's obviously gonna be saved!

: But Fuyuhiko finally returned to us... I cannot believe Nekomaru is gone now...
: N-No...more... I can't stand this...anymore!
: Hey, can you stop yelling? Screaming won't help, you know!
: C-Cause...'cause 'cause 'cause...!

: This isn't 'cause! This is what happened when we let our guard down! All this talk about everyone getting along... We were just fooling ourselves.
: We were...just pretending we understood the situation we're in... Teamwork, friendship, cooperation... Nothing matters... The stupid ones will just be killed one after another... It won't be a mystery when you're eventually betrayed... That's why I'm never gonna rely on anyone... That's...the "reality" here.
: A-Are you saying it is meaningless for us to even work together...?
: If it really did have meaning, Nekomaru wouldn't have ended up like that!
: He ended up like that...because of his weird feelings of friendship...

: ...Hey, you understand too, right? When the stupid ones try to act on their own, it makes trouble for everyone else.
: So can you please not involve me? I don't wanna die a meaningless death.
: H-Hiyoko, blaming Akane will not help solve anything.

: We don't...hafta worry about coach Nekomaru...
: Man, that's disappointing... It's all your fault and you're not even worried about him...
: A-Akane...you're not worried about Nekomaru...?
: There's no need to worry about worryin'!

: I know coach Nekomaru is a monstrous guy. There's no way he's gonna die from somethin' like that... There's no doubt! Nekomaru is definitely gonna come back!
: S-So...when that happens...I'll make sure...I apologize to him. Cause I was too weak, and I caused him trouble... So when he comes back... I'll make sure...to say I'm sorry...
: A-Akane...

As we all returned to our cottages...we were silent. Even if we opened our mouths, only words of worry would come out. We all knew that.

When we saw Nekomaru's tragedy happen right in front of us, once again we were all taught... If you think you won't die...well, that's just wishful thinking. On this island, without any warning... People die... That...is the nightmare we're trapped in.

When you think you've finally woken up from the nightmare, you realize you're still inside it...

...And thus the nightmare continues.

: Monokuma's Super Fables -- Story 58: "A Tengu Came Down From The Mountains!"
: A long time ago, there was a village that was afraid of tengus showing up... The tengus apparently did as they pleased, such as stealing food and kidnapping women... But...is it really the tengus' fault? Isn't it actually the humans' fault for ruining nature by destroying the mountains where the tengus lived? You think monsters are scary!? It's humans that are the scary ones! Everyone! Now is the time to rise up against the humans! We must protect nature from the humans and return the world to a peaceful place where monsters roam free!
: Monokuma's Super Fables -- The End

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Catching up to the last three updates all at once leaves a lot to process.

Nice misdirection on the game's part...I was wondering if the twist would be that someone goaded simple minded Akane into rebelling in an attempt to get her killed, but everyone survived anyway so...? I mean someone has to get murdered soon, I'd assume. They've done a much better job letting you get attached to the characters this time around though, I can't think of any I'd prefer it to be.

Also I really hope Hajime plans to barricade his door. I can't imagine sleeping with a busted lock being advisable even when not on a murder island. (How'd she get away with that by the way? Shouldn't vandalism break one of the rules?)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
An update late but Ibuki is the best character :allears:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

GDI Hiyoko way to take the wrong lesson from this!

You're just making yourself a more tempting target for 'Hope-Crazed Naegi' to get back on the murder train! Now who's the stupid one!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Something I should add is that back with the Peko execution. Fuyuhiko was originally going to die there.

• Locked thread