Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

It's like they don't even realize what happens now. It's pretty drat hard to SLAPP a company as rich as HBO.

It's also safe to believe that HBO's lawyers checked every word that Oliver said in order to make sure that any lawsuit would be rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I was wondering if there was a legal drive behind ramping up the satire to ultrawhimsical levels in this segment.

Any jury would see this and categorize it as satirical. More, each fact was presented with citation to publicly-available information outlets.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
You don't sue to win actually money, you sue to extort smoeone into just settling so that they don't have to go through a long legal deal. HBO lawyers might not give a gently caress though so... :shrug:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

tsob posted:

I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?

We know where everyone lives and how they are most likely to vote so we can project easily how the remaining 19% will vote based on the previous 81%

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tsob posted:

In theory it could, but in this situation it "could" on the level that Trump could fire his entire staff and let Bernie run the country.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Veskit posted:

You don't sue to win actually money, you sue to extort smoeone into just settling so that they don't have to go through a long legal deal. HBO lawyers might not give a gently caress though so... :shrug:

Murray has a weird combo of cynical foresight and incompetent lawyers. He's personally bankrolled the election of every judge in his county to benefit his lawsuits but his lawyers keep filing for amounts that automatically trigger a change of venue from county court to federal as long as one party asks for it. As such he's lost like 95% of his lawsuits in summary judgement. In the case of the Huffpo lawsuit, if his lawyers filed for $1 less they would have kept the trial in his home county.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Veskit posted:

HBO lawyers might not give a gently caress though so... :shrug:

If anything HBO lawyers probably has the most fucks to give of them all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The system works, unless it doesn't.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I like how they also shoehorned Hillary Clinton into the indictment. Because that's obviously an important point.

Invalid Validation posted:

I hope it's because of black lung.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_pulmonary_fibrosis#Causes

quote:

Cigarette smoking is the best recognized and most accepted risk factor for IPF, and increases the risk of IPF by about twofold.[11] Other environmental and occupation exposures such as exposure to metal dust, wood dust, coal dust, silica, stone dust, biologic dusts...
:laugh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 22, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

In addition to what other people said, the percentage of the district in isn't 81% of votes, but 81% of precincts in the district. Given that Georgia's 6th District covers parts of 3 counties, and the only one of the 3 that majority voted for Ossoff also had the least votes, the precincts remaining unreported at 81% of reported likely were in Republican leaning/controlled areas.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So they did sue Joh, huh. I'm not quite sure what makes them think that picking a legal fight with Time Warner is a good idea, this is basically bringing piss to a poo poo fight.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

tsob posted:

As an American, I thought that election was totally overblown by pundits and traditional partisans who believe RESIST means merely throwing money at any Democratic candidate. The Montana race should have been a sign that people shouldn't have put a lot of eggs in one basket.

Compare that to the virtual lack of national coverage of the New Jersey gubernatorial primary to replace Chris Christie.

Also, John Oliver was probably the only guy who took any interest in the UK election, which I thought should have been way more interesting across the pond... compared to the French election which did get quite a lot of interest in the US.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

As an American, I thought that election was totally overblown by pundits and traditional partisans who believe RESIST means merely throwing money at any Democratic candidate. The Montana race should have been a sign that people shouldn't have put a lot of eggs in one basket.

Compare that to the virtual lack of national coverage of the New Jersey gubernatorial primary to replace Chris Christie.

Also, John Oliver was probably the only guy who took any interest in the UK election, which I thought should have been way more interesting across the pond... compared to the French election which did get quite a lot of interest in the US.

The big difference is the French election involved literal fascists, while the UK election was the same old poo poo. People were concerned France was about to pick up a ticket to crazy town, while the UK was expected to keep on sinking in poo poo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Echo Chamber posted:

US news smelled it for "Brexit Vote Part II", found it wasn't quite that sensational, and walked away. Also we don't understand parliaments and multi-party coalitions and minority governments and confidence votes. That poo poo is weird. We know it'll probably never get TOO out of hand because any policy to stoke hatred around the world isn't going to happen because it would cause a constitutional crisis when it doesn't get royal ascent, and then and only THEN would we be interested.

I don't know if you've noticed, but countries led by offices of a Presidency are turning into flaming shitburgers, so France is our closer brother in democracy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eat poo poo, Bob.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's fun to watch a story like this unfurl. Check out this wealthy CEO on Fox whine about being picked on by an elitist. Also notable is that he's very vague about what exactly he's suing over. I guess it's unproductive for his ends to provide any real information.

According to CBS, he's suing Last Night Week for not mentioning the fact that Murray helped with the rescue and cleanup for that mining collapse that he probably caused, as if that makes a difference. He's also complaining that John Oliver made childish insults at him, but thankfully that is a right enshrined in our nation unlike say, Turkey.

So yeah, eat poo poo Bob.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Murray has a weird combo of cynical foresight and incompetent lawyers. He's personally bankrolled the election of every judge in his county to benefit his lawsuits but his lawyers keep filing for amounts that automatically trigger a change of venue from county court to federal as long as one party asks for it. As such he's lost like 95% of his lawsuits in summary judgement. In the case of the Huffpo lawsuit, if his lawyers filed for $1 less they would have kept the trial in his home county.

Maybe they don't actually like or want Murray to succeed and know Murray is not legally versed enough to figure out their trick? It's a silly theory but we live in a stupid world and I like to believe sometimes the stupid is actually for a good cause.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

No one should check out a Stuart Varney segment. Ever. That guy is outraged that the poorest 20% of the country gets to eat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've always described Stuart Varney as a Charles Dickens character.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

STAC Goat posted:

Only less easy to believe that he actually exists.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

Seems pretty unfair to Charles Dickens characters.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like how Murray called John Oliver an elitist and noted that he has a $10 million apartment in New York, like he himself is a man of the people who lives in a modest abode. Never mind that a quick Google shows he has at least two houses in seperate states, both of which look like they're worth a few million and of which it's easily conceivable both are worth more than $10 million apiece, depending on the size of the grounds, location etc.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

tsob posted:

I like how Murray called John Oliver an elitist and noted that he has a €10 million apartment in New York, like he himself is a man of the people who lives in a modest abode. Never mind that a quick Google shows he has at least two houses in seperate states, both of which look like they're worth a few million and of which it's easily conceivable both are worth more than €10 million apiece, depending on the size of the grounds, location etc.
You've put more critical thought and research into this than 99% of the viewers who watched that "report."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tsob posted:

I like how Murray called John Oliver an elitist and noted that he has a $10 million apartment in New York, like he himself is a man of the people who lives in a modest abode. Never mind that a quick Google shows he has at least two houses in seperate states, both of which look like they're worth a few million and of which it's easily conceivable both are worth more than $10 million apiece, depending on the size of the grounds, location etc.
Google says John only has a net worth of $5 million. How irresponsible!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Nobody who likes progressive and "progressive" millionaire celebrities and/or politicians really cares that they're rich. We just care when rich people want to make themselves beyond rich or stay beyond rich at the expense of the livelihood or mortality of the lower classes.

I'd be happy if rich people were just less rich to raise the quality of life for the rest of us a bit. They could stay relatively rich, just dial it back a bit. You don't have to have, and keep, literally all the loving wealth in the entire world you goddamn monsters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
But if their are no 'have nots' how will we know whom the 'haves' are?

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

tsob posted:

The assessed values for those properties are ~$3m combined from a quick Google search, so I wouldn't say $10m each, but your point still stands.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
All these people living in expensive houses! If a house costs $500,000 the person buying it should be making $500,001 or more per year! That's just fiscal responsibility*!

* if you're a loving geriatric moron who hasn't had to worry about money for the past few decades and has forgotten how banks work for 'the rest of us.'

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The worst part about anti-elitist movements is how many elites are at the head of them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

The worst part about anti-elitist movements is how many elites are at the head of them.

I'm convinced the only reason shows like "The Wall" exist is so super-rich people can host parties where they laugh their asses off over people going loving nuts on what they spend every week on transportation.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah it's not like the upper class pitting the lower class against itself while they bleed them dry is a new tactic.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

But if their are no 'have nots' how will we know whom the 'haves' are?

Well when we start eating the 'haves' I'm sure we'll notice the taste difference, placebo effect maybe, like drinking poo poo wine rebottled into expensive labels.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Well when we start eating the 'haves' I'm sure we'll notice the taste difference, placebo effect maybe, like drinking poo poo wine rebottled into expensive labels.

Don't eat your comrades, for they may be carrying hot sauce to make the bourgeoisie more palatable.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
At what point does the LWT team decide to drop half the awful jokes and add another 20 minutes of actual content to make for a full hour of show. I'm getting tired of the format only allowing for the one key piece when there's a dozen other things that could benefit from 2-3 minutes a piece. Also most of the jokes make it unwatchable to anyone who otherwise isn't already a fan. Trying to use olivers segments to convince red hats (or just a regular conservative) the actual journalism is undercut by the non-sequitors

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Actually my biggest gripe is that it takes so long for LWT to show up on the streaming service

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm both surprised that this show hasn't covered vaccines before, and sad that we still need to talk about this in 2017.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm dying at this train segment.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What do trains run on anyways? Coal.

Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

At what point does the LWT team decide to drop half the awful jokes and add another 20 minutes of actual content to make for a full hour of show. I'm getting tired of the format only allowing for the one key piece when there's a dozen other things that could benefit from 2-3 minutes a piece. Also most of the jokes make it unwatchable to anyone who otherwise isn't already a fan. Trying to use olivers segments to convince red hats (or just a regular conservative) the actual journalism is undercut by the non-sequitors

Expanding the show isn't so easy as cutting jokes or adding to the run time. Oliver's mentioned in interviews that a lot of the show's budget goes into research and background work. Doing additional long-form story segments would mean losing some amount of depth from each one, and Oliver prefers the laser focus on a single topic per week.

As for broadening the appeal, no. No, no, no. People have been saying this in one form or another since Jon Stewart created the modern Daily Show and that's not how it works. These shows are entertainment first and foremost. Asking John—a comedian—to become a full-time investigative journalist is missing the point. When the satirists are doing better news than the actual newsmen, you do not point to them and say "do less comedy and more news." You turn to the newsmen and say "get off your asses and stop getting upstaged by that poncy British wharf-rat."

• Locked thread