Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Deathlove posted:

Hooray for drag.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9: Horray for drag

I have so many questions about the preplanning of the format. Was that wheel spin real or "Dario's Dial of Doom" real? Were the pairings set and song selections set up prior to the contest? How far in advance did they know? Etc.

I think this was my favorite finale. Four deserving queens who could hold their own in a LSFYL, not a Kim Chi or (let's be real) a Bianca who would get run over in the group, Sasha never being in the bottom being in her favor as she was more fresh in the final matches, and a general energy that exceeded some of the obvious results of past years. More drag duels, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

I just realised we never got our 'Hey Porkchop!' moment :mad:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It was cut. At the filming Ru did a bit about the house being 'overbooked' and needing to free a seat for an old friend, sends Mimi Imfurst out to carry India out of her seat. Then Porkchop takes it.

loving homophobic they cut it imo

Lotsa thoughts about the finale/etc but I'm half drunk still from the viewing party. I'll :words: tmw.

Also go rewatch the reunion with this finale in mind! It's why Shea and Trinity were so salty and Sasha so smug, they filmed it after.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

esperterra posted:

It was cut. At the filming Ru did a bit about the house being 'overbooked' and needing to free a seat for an old friend, sends Mimi Imfurst out to carry India out of her seat. Then Porkchop takes it.

:lol:

That is amazing

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I honestly really didn't think Sasha would win, at all. Early in the season I knew it was Shea. Then as the season progressed I thought it would be Trinity. I thought it would be Trinity up until the moment she lost to Peppermint (which also, shocked me, though Pep's reveal was amazing). I really wanted it to be Peppermint, but Sasha surprised me.

But I'm glad it was her. I think she's a very solid performer (I wish she had lip synced during the season!!) and I really do love her 'let's shake poo poo up' attitude, I've loved her runways and aesthetics, and she's a really solid performer. Also her look for the final lip sync was amazing. That mask?? The way she tore it off?? So good.

All Stars 3 is going to be loving bananas isn't it?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

"I'd like to keep it on please." "Which part of giving up the crown do you not understand?" :allears:

People are getting bitter over Sasha winning with 2 wins and Shea not even in the top 2 with her 4 wins, and I can't help but think that none of this backlash would've happened if Sasha had won the ball challenge, like she deserved, producers. Then again maybe all this buzz is exactly the point.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Watching it a second time, I think Pepper won on the reveal her own. It was great in the moment the first time, especially in a crowded bar, but ... girl ... choices. An outfit ruveal is supposed to reveal a better outfit. They were both kinda meh. And the rest of her perfomance was sedated until then.

Trinity sold it the whole time for me. Though maybe a little dip after Peppermint whips her wig at Trinity's head.

Either way it was close, and I was surprised Peppermint went through. Even knowing the past two weeks that Sasha and Pepper would be top two.

I love the idea of having the top w LSFTC again, but doing a top 4 sudden death really killed it for me. I like all these queens, tho I'll admittedly Sasha the least. But Shea or Trinity not having a lock on a top 2 position after they both slayed the whole season-- Shea especially-- feels dirty to me.

In seasons 1-3, the queens earned the top 2 lip sync by doing the best all year, winning challenges and slaying if they need to lip sync a couple times.

In a perfect world, next year they would have the last competitive episode be a top 3, not top 4. Have the winner of that week's challenge be guaranteed a spot in the top 2 at the 'live' finale. Have the bottom 2 girls also lip sync at the finale for that second spot. Then lip sync for the crown.

It isn't even Sasha winning that really bugs me, but the alternative being Peppermint. Now I love Pep, more than I like Sasha, but she had no business lip syncing for the crown over Shea or Trinity. It really should have been one of those two up against Sasha. The three of them have the highest track records of the year.

Now, if Peppermint beat one of the three in a lip sync during top 4 week and entered top 3 I would also be less buttflustered. If a girl with a weaker track record makes it to the top, w/e. But having the two girls with the least wins out of the bunch battle it out made an already boring season even more meaningless to me. Queens are already less thirsty to win challenges and the crown than ever before, but hey who needs to win challenges if you can coast off of being safe and lip syncing sometimes to make the top 4 death match ...

It's so bizarre to me that Shea Coulee is the first queen since Sharon Needles to win four challenges, and she didn't win the crown. Sasha is the first winner to not have the most challenge wins under her belt. So weird.

Oh well, at least season 9 gave us that reunion. And Sasha's rose ruveal was dope. Poor Shea got murdered. She gave a lacklustre fight period in that lip sync.

What I hope for going forward would be Sasha proving to me she's actually 'unconventional' or avant-garde or pushing the boundaries of beauty in her drag. I know she does weird projector stuff and has a zine and stuff, but she always looks on point. Like her drag itself. Talks a mad game about being weird drag yet I haven't seen a single bizarre or unconventional thing from her all year. There have been far more unconventional looking queens on Drag Race, let alone doing drag in general.

Also all the people acting like she's our first political or activist or fluent in queer history winner when we've had Bob reigning all loving year and she is all of those things.

Girl this finale makin' me feel messy!

e: ^^^ people being salty about Sasha winning due to her track record is dumb. She avoiddd bottom 2 all year, was bottom 3 once in an episode with only six queens so safe wasn't an option, and has two wins. Her winning it is fair af I just think if she was gna win it should have been vs Trinity or Shea

oh and she was top 3 in like 7 of 11 challenges

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 24, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

episode on tv felt a bit anticlimactic to me, compared to the drama bombs of last weeks reunion. the lip synchs were all great but drat trinity was robbed; she gave it a million percent while Pep dropped a good look for a frumpier dress.

anyways long live sasha, she really crushed it. and that final outfit was some straight up hr giger realness

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

esperterra posted:

It's so bizarre to me that Shea Coulee is the first queen since Sharon Needles to win four challenges, and she didn't win the crown. Sasha is the first winner to not have the most challenge wins under her belt. So weird.

See, this wouldn't be a problem if Ru had awarded the proper winner of the ball.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
A thought occurs: maybe Ru wanted to make an example out of Shea, and perhaps Sasha as well. Essentially, telling future queens here on out not to get cocky just because they're doing well overall, and that the queens who don't necessary dominate can still snatch the crown.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I'm so happy with Sasha's win. She's been a favorite of mine since the promo photos were released. Her lip syncs were so amazing. Someone else said it, but I also was expecting her to rip off her dress and have a rose petal explosion. How come she wasn't crowned? They gave her the scepter, but Bob hung on to the crown and never put it on her head as she walked. Kind of weird.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Dear Prudence posted:

I'm so happy with Sasha's win. She's been a favorite of mine since the promo photos were released. Her lip syncs were so amazing. Someone else said it, but I also was expecting her to rip off her dress and have a rose petal explosion. How come she wasn't crowned? They gave her the scepter, but Bob hung on to the crown and never put it on her head as she walked. Kind of weird.

I also expected her to rip off her dress and dissolve into a shower of rose petals.

I think she didn't get the crown on the finale because she wasn't wearing a wig and the crown is made to go onto hair. It's probably not good for bald rear end heads.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Aphra Bane posted:

I just realised we never got our 'Hey Porkchop!' moment :mad:

esperterra posted:

loving homophobic they cut it imo
WTH what a waste :mad:

I have to admit by the end of the season Sasha was not my top pick despite being perfect in every way. She got out shined as far as TV performances go... Which really goes to show how much weight AS3 held in the judging this time. Just picture it. It's gonna be so drat good :allears:
Anyway I'm happy because Sasha IS perfect and blah blah political climate blah blah REVOLUTION

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I honestly really didn't think Sasha would win, at all. Early in the season I knew it was Shea. Then as the season progressed I thought it would be Trinity. I thought it would be Trinity up until the moment she lost to Peppermint (which also, shocked me, though Pep's reveal was amazing). I really wanted it to be Peppermint, but Sasha surprised me.

But I'm glad it was her. I think she's a very solid performer (I wish she had lip synced during the season!!) and I really do love her 'let's shake poo poo up' attitude, I've loved her runways and aesthetics, and she's a really solid performer. Also her look for the final lip sync was amazing. That mask?? The way she tore it off?? So good.

All Stars 3 is going to be loving bananas isn't it?

There's so many choices from this season. Shea for the "A lot of fans say I was robbed, and I'm here to claim the crown that should have been mine" narrative, Peppermint for just being a straight-up amazing performer that makes everyone nervous as gently caress, Trinity for the "memorable personality returns" angle, Aja because of her reunion redemption, or Valentina for the drama now that she's come out as a horrible bitch.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Peppermint is a real good performer but I was not a fan of that last look. I'm glad Sasha won it, she's super smart about her looks and everything tonight was super on point.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dear Prudence posted:

They haven't put the crown on the winners in the finale for a while, now. They get crowned at the viewing party where the queens watch live to see who won.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I guess I'm not really a fan of Sasha's lipsyncs in the finale but it was pretty good overall and I am totally fine with her getting the crown.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Shea killed it all season, but if the finale was truly about the lipsyncs, then Sasha did beat her. The rose gimmick was awesome.

I'm surprised though, I thought Trinity destroyed Pep despite the outfit/wig conversion.

also lmao at Bob's "I'd like to keep it on please"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I really like Sasha's style and lipsync etc. but I don't know if "angry Dracula faces" is the appropriate choice for like, every single song.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, same. Pepper's lip sync until revealing she had an uglier outfit on than the one she started with was super bland. But she timed the reveal well and the crowd went wild.

Shame, too. Trinity vs Sasha would have been really something. Two extremes of going hard on a lip sync, one with energy and one with emoting.

It was an exciting finale and Sasha deserved the crown with her lip syncs and overall performance, still just felt lacklustre and wrong to not have it be Shea or Trinity fighting her for the crown.

e: ^^^ reveals notwithstanding, I wonder how well Sasha's finale lip syncs would have gone over if we had one or two LSFYL from her during the show. She's very good, but yeah her style of emoting gets very samey.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 24, 2017

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
There is so much salt about Sasha's win across the Internet. I'm fine with it. Even though Shea won a lot of challenges, I didn't like much of her looks. And her lipsync last night was pretty boring.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

I really like Sasha's style and lipsync etc. but I don't know if "angry Dracula faces" is the appropriate choice for like, every single song.

Yeah that's kind of how I felt about Sasha's lipsyncs, her physicality isn't my thing or at least I wish she'd shown more range. Sasha didn't really dance so much as she emoted, which is fine, but it was mostly the same intense angry face both songs.

edit: I wonder if part of that might be Sasha going bald for both lipsyncs, maybe the hair would help soften her angry face?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 24, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shea's lipsync was super underwhelming, yeah. I was surprised. Figured her lacklustre Cool For the Summer performance was a one off due to bad song/knowing there's no way Nina would progress.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I loved Sasha's unhinged faces. She was playing a character, and you'd be anxious as hell to have that broad "so emotional" about you. Those were great loving lipsyncs.

spite house fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 24, 2017

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah, giving face is another aspect of doing a lipsync, and Sasha's really good at it. I don't think she only does one thing for every song and I've seen a number of her other non-drag-race lipsyncs, she's very expressive. She's not a dancer like Shae but she can move her body in a pleasing way and does a good job Embodying The Song. I'm happy with this outcome. Trinity vs. Peppermint looked like it could have gone either way - they were both fantastic. It looked like Sasha outperformed Shae in So Emotional, and her rose thing was outstanding. The final lipsync could have gone to either, I think, though Sasha's look was much better, and her performance throughout the show was better so I'm glad she took it at that point. But I think I'd have been happy with any of the top 4 winning it, honestly, given the format of the finale which gave Pep a real shot that she wouldn't have had otherwise.

I'm also glad for the finale lipsync duels. It was really fun to watch and I'm pleased to see them showing how important it is to be captivating as a performer, given the number of lackluster lipsyncs this season, and girls who think they can get away without having to perform (cough Charlie cough). It also made it less predictable. The finale already has less action than a normal episode and you don't want to go into it knowing what's going to happen just by doing the math on who's won the most.

A God Damn Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 24, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yay the queen I was rooting for won :neckbeard:

I would have been okay with Pep winning too. Husband and I died after the simultaneous wig/outfit reveal.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Is Peppermint the best Lip Syncer the show has had so far?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The moment of the night was Peppermint's ruveal. So seamless I almost lost my mind. But Sasha slayed two Whitney Houston songs and made me feel. (I said I FELT). I love this format and I hope it stays because of the energy but it definitely helped that I didn't mind who won this season.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Capsaicin posted:

Her stage presence is phenomenal.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
I'm pretty sure this was my least favourite season so far. I'd rather watch season 7 again.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

She's a good lip syncer, but I don't think she's the best. I don't think she should have won the Trinity lip sync and I think it doesn't bode well that one really good gimmick is all it takes to win a lip sync.

I'm not sure who is the best ever for the show, Alaska is really good and so was Darienne Lake.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Valentina

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

garthoneeye posted:

She's a good lip syncer, but I don't think she's the best. I don't think she should have won the Trinity lip sync and I think it doesn't bode well that one really good gimmick is all it takes to win a lip sync.

I'm not sure who is the best ever for the show, Alaska is really good and so was Darienne Lake.

Juju. Latrice. Trinity K Bonet. Chi Chi. Coco. Alyssa. Dida Ritz. Manila. Alexis Mateo.

I could go on with queens I think are better at lip syncing than Pepper. But Pepper IS amazing.

Trinity should have won that LSFYL tho.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Am I imagining things or was Michelle Visage's intro for Valentina a bit shady?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yodzilla posted:

Am I imagining things or was Michelle Visage's intro for Valentina a bit shady?

Michelle has been pretty shady about Val all season in media + the podcast. It's weirdm

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

esperterra posted:

Juju. Latrice. Trinity K Bonet. Chi Chi. Coco. Alyssa. Dida Ritz. Manila. Alexis Mateo.

I could go on with queens I think are better at lip syncing than Pepper. But Pepper IS amazing.

Trinity should have won that LSFYL tho.

Pepper's awesome, but Juju's "Black Velvet" is still one of my favorite Drag Race moments.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Peppermint v Trinity:

Trinity performed the hell out of that song, but look at her eyes.

Now look at Peppermint's eyes.

Peppermint was in the moment, Trinity was emotionally blocked off from the song. If I'm going to pick one, give me emotional depth every time.

e: Watch Aja's reaction in the crown to Sasha's wig reveal. LOOK AT IT. :allears:

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 25, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Pepper's awesome, but Juju's "Black Velvet" is still one of my favorite Drag Race moments.

Yeah, Juju's drunk Black Velvet and Manila's MacArthur Park are still my top lip syncs. Oh, and Latrice's Natural Woman ft backup dancer Kenya Michaels ofc.

^^^ 50 units of Botox!!

But yeah I can see your argument for sure. Pepper feeling the song but barely moving for most of still sits weird for me, if only because Stronger is a high energy song.

It was a close one, either way. I do feel like Pep won due to timing her reveal/the reveal being bigger than Trinity's, though.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 25, 2017

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Individual performances have stood out more, but I think Peppermint is probably the best all-around lipsyncer the show's had. You know she will sell the gently caress out of any song you throw at her and her poo poo will be airtight every time.

Also that new boob job looks fantastic. I imagine her booking fees have not suffered one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Shneak posted:

The moment of the night was Peppermint's ruveal. So seamless I almost lost my mind. But Sasha slayed two Whitney Houston songs and made me feel. (I said I FELT). I love this format and I hope it stays because of the energy but it definitely helped that I didn't mind who won this season.

This was the best finale we've had in a long time because of the new format. I really, really hope season 10 follows suit. It's much more entertaining, especially with the old style, no audience reunion episode.

• Locked thread