Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
pre:
Nyaa	thaumocrates, can we sacrifice everything in the room?
Thaumocrates	Maybe with foof?
Thaumocrates	Im not sure how you'd go about sacrificing a room honestly
Nyaa	how does sacrifice usually works? Burn the object?
Thaumocrates	grab a shovel and make the worlds biggest altar
Thaumocrates	brb
Zahrkon	if the floor is stone or concrete you sanctify it and then set the room on fire
Nyaa	or circle of altars to sac everything in the circle?
Nyaa	I guess we could foof it, then ask loith to teleport us back to the entrance for the mushroom sacrifice
Nyaa	If that doesn't work, we can sac the mushroom and ask loith to deal severe injury to the troll
Nyaa       or poison/stun it.
Posting this for thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wonder if sleep would amplify its regenerative abilities.

...Or maybe it has a skill similar to what we have when we fall asleep.

Can we try Eating a cupcake?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

F - Say out loud "I GUESS HE'S GONE ON AHEAD!" hand Konnie the acid bottle, stroll nonchalantly past the troll-boulder and get it over with when he least expects it.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

Can...can owlbear cubs eat trolls by chance? They are kinda magical.

Maybe? They like apples and raw meat.

There Bias Two posted:

Can we try Eating a cupcake?

You can do whatever you want!

Nyaa posted:

How does sacrifice usually works? Burn the object?

Lolth takes painful, drawn out, living sacrifices. Classic blood upon the altars kinda stuff.

Quackeen takes both the living and the dead, as well as objects or deeds done in her name.
Basically anything of great value. Most often it is to be wholly consumed in the ritual, most often via gold-infused fire.

Toil takes almost exclusively great deeds done in his name. Accomplishments through hardship and backbreaking labour.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

G2. Sacrifice the mushroom and ask Loith to damage/poison/paralyze the troll.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 24, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
D

Murder the troll with acid and hack its soggy form to pieces. Let's not bother with gods or other stuff for now.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

For now;

Quietly gather all the mushrooms which are pleasing to Lloth, for sacrifice as thanks for using her spidey-sense

Take all precautions including avoiding breathing in spores etc as best as able

Have Konnie positioned near the Troll, with the acid, in case it stirs

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
D

I assume it's hiding amungst the boulders, not knowing we have sacrivision. Let's finish this. One bottle bow, then the next when it shows its face.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Anyone else worried that something ELSE may have caused the Troll to fall asleep? Like, magical mushrooms? We could be walking right into a trap that the troll stumbled into himself. Why would this Troll pick here and now as a time to nap?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Anyone else worried that something ELSE may have caused the Troll to fall asleep? Like, magical mushrooms? We could be walking right into a trap that the troll stumbled into himself. Why would this Troll pick here and now as a time to nap?

Maybe he's just tired, maybe he's mounting an ambush.

Anything that effects a troll is going to either own us, or not effect us. I think it's worth a roll of the dice.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D, but bind Demarcation first so xie doesn't get up.

It's too bad there aren't any other worthy sacrifices nearby.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We could just dedicate this area as an official hunting ground of Lolth. Fill out the paperwork when we report our expedition to the Empire.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Arkanomen posted:

We could just dedicate this area as an official hunting ground of Lolth. Fill out the paperwork when we report our expedition to the Empire.

Like how Germany air-dropped flags around the perimeter of Antarctica and declared the entire continent it's property?

Not sure if that's true. I remember reading it years ago. The principal stands anyway.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D, trust in Konnie

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

He could have thought he could camouflage himself well enough to rest, and that we wouldn't have been able to track as well as we did?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

F - Say out loud "I GUESS HE'S GONE ON AHEAD!" hand Konnie the acid bottle, stroll nonchalantly past the troll-boulder and get it over with when he least expects it.

I like it.

Never not acid bathe a troll.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
That Which Sleeps
Month 3, Week 4, Day 3
Early morning

Spreading out around the Grove, you take position to enact the third ambush against Demarcation in the scant few hours you have been underground. The soil squelches underfoot as you inevitably squish the minute mushrooms that cover it.
The air is moist and your mood is Grim, for your aim is righteous murder.

All is quiet except for the whistle of the lonesome bottle of liquid death that sails in an arc from Konnies hand.
As Demarcation is asleep, there is precious little stopping the bottle from hitting it's mark, and so it does, followed by a barrage of arrows.

[-01 bottles of highly pressurized acid]

A frantic roar of pain follows shortly after, as one of the unsuspicious boulders unfurls itself into the troll named Demarcation, wide eyed with adrenaline and shock.

"Waugh! Religion begins where knowledge ends!" it shouts, before getting a good look at the assembled gremlinsmonster hunters and immediately bolts further into mushroom lands.
Though not before Skvababt nails it around where the kidney would be were your opponent human.

Konnie is quick to follow his bottle throwing technique with his repeating crossbow and actually manages to get one of the arrows stick in the monster this time.

Before xie flees, you do notice that Demarcations leg, which last night had a wound deep enough to reach the bone beneath the thick layer of troll-hide, now looks good as new. Evidently some sleep here did wonders for xier skin.

You are left in the dust of a fleeing troll, heading further into unknown territory. A wild forest of mushrooms lay at your back and ahead, what appears to be a mushroom field. A plain? The mushroom are plentiful at least though much smaller.
There don't appear to be any other monster nearby though your sacrivision did pick something up, some mushrooms lolth is particularly fond of? Or could it be something hiding just beyond your view? Either way, your quarry is fleeing, how will you engage?

---

A: Press the attack! If it's retreating, charge!
You greatly outnumber it, try to force it into combat by hunting it into an ambush.

B: Hunt it down and harass it at range.
Hurting it will be hard when it's back is turned, but with the acid spread evenly across all those minute crevices of the rockhard troll hide it's got to wear down eventually. Keep running after it and shooting at it until it dies or something else happens.

C: Let it run and investigate the Grove instead.
Why did the troll choose this place to rest? Why are those mushrooms so interesting?

D: Something else?
Write in.

---

[Kobold-Quality Map of the hitherto unnamed region]

---

Party thoughts:
Konnie:“Huh, I dunno boss. I hit it square in the back and it shook it off like it was nothing. Looks like this thing won't go down as easily."
Kvelar: ???
Johakim: "Be careful, we don't know what's out there."
Abigail: “Aww, come on! Come back here you coward!!"
Khami: "Make haste, not waste?"
Skvababt: “Mhmmm, mushrooms... we should... forage, here together when we are done. Before we... leave."
Tommy: “As long as we can keep within shooting distance, I have no problems with it fleeing from us. More so whereto it flees."
Owlbear Cubs: "Hoot, hoot hoot. Hoot." (Bring us snacks! Pet us, feed us! Where are you?)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
B but mainly to be wary of an ambush more than anything else.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

C. Rest in shroom.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

Let's play it a bit safer.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
B: Hunt it down and harass it at range.

This isn't going to end well; we're through to 'Where the Wild Things Are' territory here.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Swedish, from our viewpoint, did xie bolt immediately and we didn't have time to see if the acid was having an effect, or did it seem like the troll just shook it off?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

"WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, FERVENT ATHEISM IS REALLY NO DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER RELIGION"

Let's lure this guy back out

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B. Recklessness is the mother of good times.

Seconding taunting the Troll.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

alpaca diseases posted:

"WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, FERVENT ATHEISM IS REALLY NO DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER RELIGION"

Let's lure this guy back out

Also B I guess.

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
Definately a good ol' B hunt with Skvababt in the lead (for her awesome eyes). And I like the taunt from alpaca diseases.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Swedish, from our viewpoint, did xie bolt immediately and we didn't have time to see if the acid was having an effect, or did it seem like the troll just shook it off?

It took effect, though xie didn't seem overly bothered with it. It is still there, eating away at xir skin as far as you know.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

It took effect, though xie didn't seem overly bothered with it. It is still there, eating away at xir skin as far as you know.

Need to keep at xir, or xie'll scrap/wash it off.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
- Slice of Life -
The Origins of Toil

When Rim, The Man Who Would Be Emperor, was merely twelve years old, He roamed the world with untold Purpose, seeking people for His fold.
Though Fueled by endless Motivation, His search was taking far too long - for societies were spread all over, to no one place did they belong.

Loyalty, such as it was, extended only to kin and even then only as convenient. Sharing, in as much as it was done, likewise so. Warlords and bandits could take what others had gathered, but their riches lasted only until they were gone.
Nowhere in all of the world was there anything at all that held or lasted. And so He traveled, ever onward, across forests, plains and sea, following a rumour of the Dwarrow, whom stood out to him in their uniformity.

Betwixt the crags and caves of Mountain laboured stocky fellows full of beard. Wresting the soil for some inscrutable purpose. So absolute was their labour that they cared not whether or not they lived or died, nor had they regard for the fates of those around them.
What children they had were used as tools or packmules and it was not an uncommon sight to see offspring hanging from the backs of their oblivious parents, knowing never the Warmth of family.
The young man who would be Emperor walked amongst them for a time, studying their ways and manners. But even here, his loftly ideals of The Collective were as absent as a good metaphor to end this paragraph with.

For though the Dwarrov worked without End, they also worked without a Purpose. Theirs was the wasted lands, the upturned and broken. Theirs were the mountains bereft of forest were soil erosion caused the death of thousands in the unknown world below.

Realization dawned upon the Man Who Would Be Emperor, and He strode confidently through what passed for their settlement - a work camp in truth, holding only what was essential for life as well as tools.
Like a ship through the ocean of their myriad workers, He walked until He found the place where all could see. There He Spake The Words with His Conviction - words I will now give to thee:

Power! Wherever Thou Might Be - Come Hither As Per My Decree!

--

At once It appeared and answered him; with such fury that even the sky would bleed and did. It replied with wrath that warped the soil beneath.

It screamed at him with words of thunder:

S̡̞̹̻͇̱̙̫̰̞͇̘͉̣̈́ͥ̏̐͢͠͞Ü̞͙̜͍͖̥͇̱͉̰̜̆͒̓̊ͣ͂̊ͩ͊̄ͣ̒̄͐͞ͅB̢̛̝̟͈̹̮̦͎͈̐̅̀̑͊̌̾͐͌ͫ̽̚M̷̡̱̺͖̭̭̟̗̩͖͍̯̥̭̣͑͒̌̔̀̆̋ͧ̃͟͠͠ͅI̵̢̧̠̗̘̦̲͓̳͉̞̬̰͐̓͊̍͐͌̈͋̔̾̆̀̓ͪͦ̄̏́T̶̰̱̲̞͎̳̹̪̪̮͉̻̲͙̋ͣͣ͌̏̑͑̂̂ͧ͆̕ ̴̦̯̰͙̦̹͇̰̩͇̥̹̞̻̟͕̤̜ͦ͆̾̃Ȯͦ̽͛͋͟͞͏̡̬̰͖͈̼͉̜̤̤̞̮Ŗ̔͊̽̒̿̅̈́̾͒̅͒̂͛̚͟҉̣͉͈͚̞͎̙̠͙͚̥ ̡̛͚̺̠͕͉̰̗͉̯̦̰̥̯̪̭̔̃̍̍̓̉ͣͯ̒̌̀͢͞ͅͅK̴̵̞̯̜̤̒ͨͯͩͯͯ̓̏̍ͧͭ̇N̷̢͖̦̪͕͔̙̮̖͇̣̩͂͒ͤ͆O̸̬͉̮͚̱̖̟̬̎̒̿ͤͥͭ͘ͅW̵̡̼͙̬̬͚̤ͮͣ̋̽͝͡ ̷̴͋͛̌̾̒̒̈̀҉̳͇̯͚͓͍͓̗̝͔̙̫̮̠͓̀ͅO̸̦͇̰̣͋̀͒̏̉̓ͨͧ̈̍̈́͌̀̔ͦͫ̾̽ͭ͘͡B̡͙̹̬͕̮̗͓͔͛̒͂͂ͨ̑ͥ̄̄̎̈̇ͤ̍̊̚̚Ḻ̨̧̤̪͓̰̣̯̹ͭ̌̉̏͒̅̇̽̇̋̓͊̽̒ͅỈ̶̟̮̺̳̼͊̎ͪ́ͣ͑̎̈ͧ̍͌͊̉͐́͞͡V͔̗̪̣̻̤̪̦͈͚̥̟͙̗̌̂ͩ͑̓́͜͟͠I̡̡̱̹͉͖̬̭̺̙͍̼͔̪̍̅͐̾͐̿̊ͯͭ͂ͥͯ͆ͮ͐̀ͮͭ́͞Ơ̶̙̺͓͎̮̮̣̮̹̬͈͌̑͑̄̔̐͘N̢͕̯̫͇͔̤͚͂ͣ͒̈̑̾ͬ̈ͫ̕
̡̼̗̠͖̖͕̭̀ͤ̋̆̚͜

---

But the young man who would be Emperor wore sensible boots, and so stood firm despite the storm.

When all the noisome bother did subside, he spoke at length, once, and then no more:

"Power! Your Ambition Here Goes Squandered, Much To My Great Dismay, Your People Slave But Do Not Accomplish, I Offer You A Better Way:
For My Purpose They Shall Work Much Harder, With My Goals That Work Will Spread, With Our Ways Across The Surface, All Will Toil Until They're Dead."

--

And thus Power spake onto him with words of fire, such that all might hear and see:

Y̡̢̞̜͊͐͌ͩͭͭ͠O͍͇̓͋ͯ̈́̔̅ͫ͢Ư̷̴̯͉̰̻̓ͦ͛ͮ͋ ̴̳̥̗̠̳͉̘̹̀̇͘K̶̛̛̮̬̯͒N̵̪̰͚̰͖ͫ̿ͫ̎̆̈́ͧ́͝Ǫ̣̦̣̥ͦͭŴ̭̙͎ ̷̱͔̥̘͈̜̝̮ͯͪͦ̿W̸̰͖̜͕̮̜̤̰̐ͩH̱̜͇̱ͯ͊̇̅͟͟A̦̹̿̎ͫͭ̂̊̆T̨ͬͭ̾ͭ҉̺̺̱͕̟̤͙̼?͍̩̯͕͛͆̐ͫ͜͢ ͓̼̳̩̜̬̟̼̠ͯ̒̚̕Ţ̵͓͖̮̺̰̙̾͗ͦ̾̑ͭ͐͠Ḩ̠͈̞̹̟̤͇͈̒̽ͮ̃ͭͯ̽Ȁ͓͇̟͇̫̭̺̬ͦ̉̿͞T̝̼̭̠̙͎̝̮ͥ̇ͫ̽̉͒͟ ̡͈̘̼̝͇͓̟ͤ͠S̛̖̳̖̫̼̓͂̾̎̏̎͛́Oͫ͆͐̾̌҉̜̺̬U̮̘͛͂́̚͘N̘̺̏̃͡D͂̔̀͗̓ͭ͞͏̭͈Š̸̬̜̫̌̀ͧ̋̐ ͆̎̄ͩ̐̚͏̶̸̰̼͎̻̪͇G͉͕̩͈̲̥̖̗̔ͨ̆ͪ̕͠Ơ͇̫̻̥̯̬͙̔̑̌͆̔̋Ö̼̝̼͔́̚͢D̡̞̳̱̣͚̭̂ͩ̐͌̍ͧ͡ ̡̩͗̿̓ͮͨ͟Ṭ̨̖͓̺̐O̸̧̠͚̱̿̀͊ͪ̂ ̙̙̣̬̫̓̏͟͞M̡̡͙̝̫͗ͣ̔͟E͇̥̣̹͙ͪͩ͜ͅͅ!̴̼̰̩ͣ͋̀ͫͩ̏͂ͮ

---

And with those words Power was Enlightened and turned towards our Industry.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

About what I expected. The real question is how he tamed Lolth.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Man, the emperor got a good deal.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
She was hunger and the Emperor was like, get a load of this beefcake and she learned to be a queen and have others bring her treats.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The empire should get more gods

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nyaa posted:

The empire should get more gods

Why would it need more? They've got all they need to run a successful bureaucracy and none that aren't involved in it some way. Labor, greed and conspiracy, all a successful government needs to control the people.

The god of agriculture? What does that have to do with ruling? If they want plants they can till the soil and water it, as Toil demands.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

But what happen when people die to monster or people getting old? We need the god of reproduction to keep the workforce strong so we can continue to do all those things you listed.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Oh man, just the other day I was wondering how the Gods came to be or why they were spared of Rim's wrath. Good update, and good joke with the metaphor thing.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Nyaa posted:

But what happen when people die to monster or people getting old? We need the god of reproduction to keep the workforce strong so we can continue to do all those things you listed.

I'd imagine Toil covers this scenario as well.

State mandated birth rates can be a 'thing'.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

CourValant posted:

So the most devoted follower of Toil is a sex fiend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

The god of agriculture? What does that have to do with ruling? If they want plants they can till the soil and water it, as Toil demands.

The God of Argiculture is dead. As seen previously on another Slice of Life.

CourValant posted:

State mandated births overseen by Toil ARE a thing. See this previous Slice of life for more information.