Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think they've had that for a while. I know it was in games as early as Path of Radiance, it might have gotten axed since though, I've never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tae posted:

One small thing FE should add in the future is some sort of mass-direction for moving units. The worst feeling on a map is realizing you have 14-15 units that all have to be selected and individually moved for the next three turns to inside a castle or something.

It's called Auto Battle. Never turn on Auto Battle.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

One small thing FE should add in the future is some sort of mass-direction for moving units. The worst feeling on a map is realizing you have 14-15 units that all have to be selected and individually moved for the next three turns to inside a castle or something.

Auto Battle in the newest game does just this. You can select a general order every turn and then watch as the AI moves all of your guys. Importantly enough once that is over you get asked the same question at the start of every turn so you can stop and start when you want. Add in the action reversal mechanic and you should be just fine in terms of not being screwed over by stupid mistakes.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

This wouldn't have happened if I could have my dang Falcoknights. drat online-only content.

I think I saw a patch to put the items in regular shops somewhere, though I suppose it's a little late to start thinking about that now. :v:

Hunt11 posted:

Add in the action reversal mechanic and you should be just fine in terms of not being screwed over by stupid mistakes.

Though only as long as the lord survives, because they can't turnwheel themselves. (Nor can the other lord turnwheel them even if you have both on the field.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

vilkacis posted:

Though only as long as the lord survives, because they can't turnwheel themselves. (Nor can the other lord turnwheel them even if you have both on the field.)

This was a genuine problem with me when I fought Jedah with the Dracoshield. The only way I had to win that one was sending Celica to fight him, hoping she crit, and if she didn't crit, that she dodged. The chances weren't bad.

Neither happened, game over.

I then decided to just grind for Tigerstance. That poo poo is broken.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Blaze Dragon posted:

This was a genuine problem with me when I fought Jedah with the Dracoshield. The only way I had to win that one was sending Celica to fight him, hoping she crit, and if she didn't crit, that she dodged. The chances weren't bad.

Neither happened, game over.

I then decided to just grind for Tigerstance. That poo poo is broken.

Uh, the boss leaves after a number of turns.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

blizzardvizard posted:

Uh, the boss leaves after a number of turns.

I know and that makes it worse. There's an item there, I can't just leave it!

If it was just killing him then fine, whatever, but knowing there's a drop there that I can't get otherwise just hits my completionist side. I wasn't continuing without that Dracoshield.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Final Chapter: Shadow Dragon. (Battle)

Time to take down Medeus.

: Sire! Lord Gotoh is here to see you.

So, intermediate note (Get ready for a lot of these): If you went to 24x, Gotoh will not show up here, and none of this dialogue happens. I guess he’s given up on you after he had to send you to the Alterspire to salvage your loss of Tiki and Falchion.

: Lord Gotoh?! What are you doing here?

: I washed my hands of humankind and their foolish ways long ago. But you and your companions have convinced me that was a rash decision. Perhaps there is hope for you yet. Allow me to offer what help I can.

: You mean you’ll fight with us?

: Yes. I may lack the power to stop Medeus, but his minions are another story. Let this old man strike them down and clear a path for you. …The gods have chosen you, Marth, prince of light.

So, this next part doesn’t play unless you’re on Normal. I’ve spliced it in.

: Go now, and win back a future for us all. Your family would be proud.

: …!

: Your sister knows that you are the future of Altea- nay, the whole land!

The Normal intermission is over now.

: Come, my friends! We have a dragon to tame! Help me confine Medeus to the shadows for all eternity, and bring light back into the world!

And that’s it for the starting speech. I like it way better with the flashbacks, so it’s a shame that it, like a lot of other cool stuff, is confined to Normal only.

There’s a short scene at the start of the map where Medeus transforms. Meet his true form, the Earth Dragon.

Okay, so, Gotoh. Gotoh is the final character in the game (finally) and he’s pretty much just a panic button. Athos Gotoh comes packing two powerful staves to heal your allies, a Thoron to defend himself, and the only usable Swarm book in the game. He’s not as strong as your own trained sages would likely be, but he can hold his own, at least on Hard.

Let’s get this started.

Starting with the top left room, the Pachyderm needs to go down. There’s already way too much damage coming out, and you cannot afford to wait around on this map.

Thankfully, the combination of Catria and Beck makes it feasible to kill it off ASAP.

Moving counterclockwise, Abel can down this one all by himself, thanks to Gradivus.

Top Right, another long range attacker. Get rid of these goofballs.

Unfortunately, our center group here with Marth is still locked out by that closed door for now. There’s an open one off to the left, but it’s a longer walk and I don’t want to bother.

I kinda just wanted to poke at this guy, since Gotoh’s not doing anything else, but this was a crit!

Not that it mattered, since the Fortify and Physic curates were glued to their ally here.

Here’s the reason I brought Tiki to the final chapter. That damage is gross. She can one-shot any manakete in this level but the boss, which is crucial, because they hurt a lot and are extremely fast.

That helps too. Except the Magic.

Yikes. I hate Magestones.

That bishop who was with the general went for Abel. He brought himself only death, and me only disappointment.

That could possibly come in handy, but I’m already well stocked on them.

Obnoxiously, this Hero has a Levin Sword, which I didn’t expect, and he blasts the poo poo out of poor Beck. This was a double, so it was close.

That sounds bad.

EVERYTHING’S FINE HERE, TOTALLY CALCULATED.

One thing to note about Chosen By Fate is that almost every enemy charges you. You can get in a bad spot very quickly if you aren’t careful.

Alright, time to start clearing the rooms. Barst’s lucky dodge means he’s not even too scuffed up as Hauteclere weakens this goon.

...Well, this is the time to use a save tile.

Got it on the second try. :smuggo:

Lorenz also cracks open the center door, and Caeda gets a celebratory critical on the Hero here.

Catria will not be outdone, however.

Tiki killed that other guy, but it wasn’t a Dracoknight crit so I didn’t screenshot it.

And that’s the top left corner completely cleared.

I know this guy’s going to get healed up. At this point I’m just spite-shooting.

And, of course, the ol’ Abel Bait strategy gets deployed again on the oncoming reinforcements from the North.

The first set of doors has closed.

Well, this looks...terrifying.

Let’s just take this slowly and methodically. With a ballista.

I said slowly, you’re ruining it. :colbert:

Finally, Cord’s time to shine!

The Ridersbane is also a useful resource.

Like, really, so much so I have to pass it around.

A Fortify goes off, and that’s the first bit of that rush of northern units dead. Still waiting on the Generals, though.

I’ve had enough of this guy. Normally this would be dangerous for Caeda. But, Iote’s Shield.

This poor Manakete was just waiting in this corner for Marth to come around. Joke’s on him, I had a key, and he’s dead.

Nice of this General to finally trundle over. Thankfully Abel can keep taking hits because Maria and Gotoh are popping Fortify every single turn. I’m not screenshotting it because I don’t hate you.

IOTE’S SHIELD

Oh well that’s ni-

I O T E ‘ S S H I E L D

So, just like any good finale, there must be a tragic moment of sacrifice. Due to a failed attempt, I happen to know these stairs will spit out a deadly ballista and a Bishop who can one-shot Beck. Time for (sorta) desperate measures.

Beck and Caesar are going to have to stay behind to block the steps, and get locked out. Farewell, brave heroes, until like twenty minutes from now. :911:

Meanwhile, we’re starting to encroach on the Throne Room…

But we could use some backup.

The Barst Orbital Drop meets its final deployment.

And not a moment too soon, because it seems we’ve got company.

I’ve got enough of an issue with this guy alone.

Get outta here.

Another Warp drop.

That’s one potential headache gone.

I probably should have leveled Tiki up more during Chapter 24, but it seems she doesn’t really give a drat.

Here’s a rare Gotoh level.

The next turn, a Dracoknight spawns on the right, and a whole ton of dudes pop out of the southwestern forts.

The Hero reinforcement goes down thanks to Falchion.

And the Dracoknight makes a questionable attack.

:911:

Wolf finishes off the Dracoknight, and now it’s just us, Medeus, and that pack of guys near the start.

So, Tiki can do a huge chunk of damage to Medeus, but it’s risky. His positioning is terrifying, by the way. Only one unit can hit him in melee range at a time. I wish the Rescue Staff was in this one. Or the Again Staff. I guess I wish this was New Mystery.

Weapons that are effective against other Manaketes don’t get any bonuses against Medeus either. You’ve got to use Tiki/Nagi with the Divinestone, or-

The Falchion.

(don’t worry, fortify went off, he’s at full HP after this)

Cord and Tiki have the stairs blocked. Let’s go.

: Oh, how you will regret it as you die slowly…painfully…writhing in the fires of the inferno!

Medeus hits hard, but Marth hits back.

These guys are still around, rushing the throne.

However, it’s too little, too late.

That’s game.

: Know this, Altean prince… That light which surrounds you is only a temporary respite. So long as the darkness in your hearts continues to sustain me…I cannot be…destroyed…..

One last level for the road.

: But then the earth trembled! The palace shook!

: Um.

: Medeus rose again!

: Worthless humans! Your pathetic Falchion cannot truly harm me!

: Zounds! What can we do? What could save us from the Dragon Emperor?

: Stand back, Sire.

: Emperor Medeus! Even though I, Jagen, am old and senile…

: I will not lose to the likes of you.

Bonus Content

The Old Soldier of Loyalty, Jagen

Next time, epilogues, the ending, and we say goodbye to Archanea for the last time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jagen truly is the hero of heroes, saving us all from the evils of Medeus.

...Marth was there too, I guess.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Masterful.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

This lp has been Very Good.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

:golfclap:

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
The best only way it could have ended.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Thank y'all for the positive feedback. If you're wondering how the Jagen kill worked: Warp Staff and Luck.

The first 3/4 or so of Medeus' HP was a hit from Nagi. The luck was making sure she didn't die.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
No, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to correct you.

It worked because Jagen is the true hero of the land.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That Jagen guy from the fe heroes thread would be proud.

As would Jagen, lord and savior of the realm, hero of arachnea!

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Did Jagen land a freaking crit on Medeus too? :perfect:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't Nagi have special dialogue with the final boss?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jagen is the hero the land needs. I heard his hair is insured for $10,000.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is such a great LP. I don't know if we truly deserved to witness Jagen's glory. We are blessed!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Jagen is the hero the land needs. I heard his hair is insured for $10,000.
Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic.

All we know is, he's called the Jagen.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

: Emperor Medeus! Even though I, Jagen, am old and senile…

: I will not lose to the likes of you.

:yeah:

That was a good finish and a good callback.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This LP has been such a treat to read, little sad to see it go

the jagen framing device has been *kiss fingers* great

Also going back a bit, the nagi gaiden is interesting just because it's a fail safe gaiden rather than a kill count gaiden. New Mystery didn't have any sort of fail safe if you missed a key component, did it? None of the other games have had a final boss you could just straight up not beat either by making the legendary weapon(s) mandatory, infinite use, or not needed. Just an interesting way to handle it, i guess.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^ New Mystery has a straight up bad ending if you don't Do The Thing, which is also interesting.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Miacis posted:

Did Jagen land a freaking crit on Medeus too? :perfect:

He did! So did Steve last time. There's some weird divine providence going on here.

Hunt11 posted:

Doesn't Nagi have special dialogue with the final boss?

I put it in the next update, but yep.

rannum posted:

New Mystery didn't have any sort of fail safe if you missed a key component, did it?

Nope. I've been walking a friend through his first New Mystery run, and I sent him a checklist of all the shards and orbs because, man, it'd suck to finish your first playthrough and not get the last five maps.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Finale: Goodbye, Archanea

: After Medeus’s demise, Dolhr would relax its shadowy grip on the land and fade into obscurity: the Empire was finished. The fires of war that had raged across Archanea would die, and light would come to take darkness’s place. But before any of that came to pass, there were a few final moments of Marth’s tale that need telling…

: I’ve been waiting a long time for this day. And now I’m not entirely certain what to do with it…

: Marth…um, we haven’t talked much since leaving Talys. But I thought.. Do you know where you will be going?

: To Altea, of course. War has left my kingdom in ruins. I cannot waste another day; I must return to help rebuild.

: So...I suppose that means you have bid Talys farewell for good…

: Don’t be silly, Caeda. I need to at least go thank your father and tell him the fighting is done.

He’s so bad at this. Also King Talys never appears in the series again.

: My father…? Marth, I’m not asking about my- Never mind. Please excuse me…

She flies off.

: No... Well, we were just talking. And she asked me…

: Ha ha, oh, Marth...How can a man who faced the Shadow Dragon be so desperate to avoid facing his own feelings?

: I- my- what? I don’t know what you are talking about.

: You wish to send Caeda home to Talys, then, and return to Altea alone? That is what you want?

: Well, that’s where we both belong. I don’t see what my wants have to do with anything.

: Clearly not. Marth, if you have anything to say to Caeda, say it now. Love cannot always make the leap from heart to heart by itself; sometimes you must speak it aloud and give it wings. Surely a great leader like you can muster the courage for that?

: ….

: ….?

: I did not speak with my heart before. When I said I would go to Altea, I… Well, I had meant… I hoped you would be at my side.

: ….!

: As you said, we have not spoken much since Talys. With you, I felt I never had to say a word. If the battle started to take its toll, you were always there…close by…I would see you there, so beaut- ahem, so brave…

This scene is :allears:. Probably because it’s remake exclusive. If Caeda died, by the way, Nyna talks about Artemis’ Curse again, and this doesn’t play.

: ….Ugh, why is this so difficult?! Caeda, I’m just trying to tell you I-

: Herein its events have been chronicled, that none may ever forget.

: Well…I suppose I’ve got to come clean, eh? I may have sprinkled in a few white lies.

: Sir Jagen, why?

: Having a poor final story...that would reflect badly on me.

: I understand...I suppose. But...why all the death? Your version killed off almost everyone!

: Hmm...I suppose...if you were about to go to the afterlife...would you want it to be empty?

: …! Sir Jagen…this isn’t fair! You can’t just leave us here! You deserve more time!

: I have lived for a very long time, Steve.

: I’ve seen triumph…

: Bravery…

: Love…

: Loss…

: And...things I can’t much explain. And it’s hard...to leave it all behind. You’ve all meant the world to me.

: Thank you...but-

: But it’s selfish of me to forget your feelings. Prince Marth, Princess Caeda, you, and the rest...you’ll get along fine without me.

: That’s not true! What would I have done without your advice?

: Bah! Believe in yourself, Steve! Or I’ll haunt you. And you tell Prince Marth to remember to wear his pants. And make sure Cain doesn’t work the newbies too hard, I don’t want to see any Altean recruits where I’m headed! Remember to keep your sword polished...don’t let...Marth leave the Falchion...in his bedroom...again….

: Sir Jagen! You can’t go!

: Make sure...Father Wrys...gets his Christmas card...don’t let Gordin...touch my armor...again….and….Steve?

: Yes? Anything.

: Never forget…Hardin...possesses...the Darksphere.

: …

: Heh. I….love…..that stupid…..joke...

: Sir Jagen? SIR JAGEN!?

Sir Jagen...goodbye.

After the ending scene, you get the turn records for your adventure. None of these are super great, but I’m no speedrunner. I finished the game, it’s enough for me :v:.

Kinda sucks that there are 25 maps and they scroll up in sets of 6. Anyway...time for the character epilogues. Each of our heroes gets a little sendoff, if they’re alive/recruited. Don’t worry, I spliced in the Gaiden only characters.

The credits also play on the top screen. The “B” is for Battles, the number of times that unit engaged/was engaged in combat, and “W” is Wins, which is just a kill count.

:unsmith:

Since there are a ton of these, and they aren’t all interesting, I’d like to take this time to throw out some special thanks.

First of all, a giant thank you to Nintendo/IS, of course, for making this series that’s near and dear to my heart. Lots of high school bus rides and long evenings were spent on a Fire Emblem or, uh, ten.

Hahaha, I’m sorry, I’m just thinking about Abel’s FE12 ending. Anywho.

Thank you to my friend who has no internet screen name, but knows who he is, for helping me workshop ideas for the LP and suffering through the plot of Fates with me. That kind of thing is a lifelong bond.

Huge thanks to vilkacis, for providing roughly ten metric tons of awesome fanart in both of my FE threads, and always being a fantastic poster.

Thank you to Camel Pimp for her many fan art and thread contributions as well, throughout this and FE12. You found some fantastic FE1 art I’d never have tracked down myself, and I read through your Lunar LP’s while I was working on this. Y’all should go check that out.

Speaking of fanart, chiasaur11, Blaze Dragon, and LifeOfAGuardian did some great work too, and they deserve a shoutout.

:allears: :allears: :allears:

The records guy, as usual, is a little gossipy.

The term is “Berzerker”.

Yes, they changed one line. I love these guys.

Oh, is Castor’s sick mother real? Is it a con? Tell me the truth, Nintendo!

Back to thanks, EclecticTastes provided me with information on how the Generic Units actually function, which explained a lot of my confusion with their stats. I appreciate that!

Shingoryou translated the text on Cipher Ogma and Navarre’s cards from Japanese for the By The Sword update, which gave us the amazing name of “Wielder of the Manly Sword”.

Lena :sigh:. If only it could have been.

Okay, since I forgot to show it off earlier...Tokyo Mirage Sessions Navarre, everyone:

Holy poo poo, I love his slinky arm.

I’m sorry you literally did nothing this run, Merric. You’re a good character!

HERE IT IS

THE LAST IMAGE OF MATTHIS I WILL EVER LP

I’M FREE

Huh. Sounds important.

I think Wolf’s got the highest battle/kill disparity on the team. Keep choking that point, you crazy diamond.

Of course, major thanks to the Fire Emblem Wiki, my source for all the art you’ve been seeing. They’re a fantastic community resource for every game in the series.

In the same vein, SerenesForest is a godsend. Their scripts saved me so many screenshots (i lived that nightmare with rune factory).

...Alright, show of hands, who remembered Vyland existed?

Thank you to everyone who posted, seriously. This update is going to drag long enough without every single name, but I want to assure you that I appreciated every bit of it. An LP doesn’t really work without an audience to enjoy it, and I sincerely hope you did. Even if you didn’t post, and just read, it’s a great motivator for me to keep going.

I really wish Rickard was good.

Vun Voman.

Scratch Rickard, I wish Bantu was good!

Neither of these are true, as we know thanks to the sequel. A lot of these epilogues kinda have that issue.

For example: He didn’t. Or at least he never mentions it in the sequel!

Some of these titles are wonderful.

That archer mentioned earlier in Gordin’s entry was Jeorge, by the way.

So, you want more Fire Emblem? I’m fresh out.

But you can check out Fionordequester’s ongoing FE4 LP! Or Tae’s brave quest through all three routes of Fire Emblem: Fates.

There are, of course, also many of the games on the LP Archive.

You might see Anna some more!

Or just get into the series yourself. These games are picking up a hell of a lot of steam, and you can buy one on pretty much any Nintendo console. I’d suggest Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword) or Fire Emblem: Awakening as a starter.

Well, here’s some oddly placed foreshadowing.

Again, the titles are on point here.

Alright, out of everyone who remembered Vyland, did you also get Tomas?

Boah is not very good at his job.

Horace is cool, I wish he got more lines.

Smart rebels.

I refuse to believe Caesar gave it back.

She’s got a thing for Abel. No, it’s not really mentioned in this game, so this makes very little sense.

Same as above, but with Marth.

But what about Arran? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered:

Well, sorta. I forgot I let him die in the Normal run. Whoops. Well, that’s what that looks like, and here’s his real epilogue:

Arran became captain of Altea’s knights. His efforts helped many a town rise from the ashes after the war.

More sequel hints!

You said “Spell Slinger” twice.

One, wow, that’s kinda sexist. Two, yes, this was Abel.

Love Dragon Grandpa.

Because he only has one. Get it?

...Gravel-Yeller?

She would also dunk on him, for eternity.

Nagi’s...weird. She kinda gets explained in the sequel.

She’s Naga, AKA: God

Nagi also gets a special line for facing Medeus:

: Hmm? So… I am not the only dragon revived. I had heard you perished the last time. No matter; you’ve recovered even less of your power than me. This time, you have no chance!

Huh. Interesting.

I think the sequel outright contradicts this.

Thanks for the childhood, pal. Rest in peace. :unsmith:

And that’s all I’ve got.

That was Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. People don’t like it too much. It’s not hard to see why, the art is pretty awkwardly meshed with the 3D models. The plot doesn’t contain anything interesting. All the good writing seems tucked away in the Gaiden maps, which have ridiculously dumb requirements. There aren’t any real standout maps.

But I do like it. Even with all that, it’s still a fun Fire Emblem. The tactics and strategy are still there, you’ve got a wide cast of characters to use, and when the team is allowed to write new stuff, it seems to really hit. Reclassing and the many difficulties would return later in the series, with this game’s Hard 5 being a precursor to modern Lunatic. I won’t say Shadow Dragon is a good Fire Emblem, but I do think it’s a good game, and if you like the franchise or strategy games, it’s worth at least playing around with. I can firmly say that, after the joy of getting to finish FE12 again and the disappointment of Rune Factory, this is very much...in the middle.

And that’s okay. Thanks for reading.

: Hmm. Well, this is odd.

: So...the time has finally come.

: What? Who goes there! Show yourself!

: You’ve kept me waiting.

: Reveal yourself! Free from the confines of age, I’ll whoop your rear end right out of this afterlife, whippersnapper!

: Ha! You never change, do you?

: ...Oh my…

: It is my honor to see you again, Sir Jagen.

: Ha! Arran, my boy! We’ve got a lot of catching up to do! Say, this reminds me of a story…

: ...Sir Jagen, please-

: It was a few hours ago. I was dying, and I called Steve in to tell her a fantastic tale!

: This is not how I imagined this going.

: You see, it was many years ago…

Thank you all very much for reading. I’ve been LordHippoman, as always, and this was Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. I hope you enjoyed, and I’ll see you next time.

The End

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 24, 2017

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Thanks for the ride, LordHippoman! Shadow Dragon definitely felt lackluster (especially compared to FE12, a personal favorite of mine), but you playing through it definitely added its own charm, especially with Jagen narrating the entire thing. Hope you do another LP, because it's always a fun one :)

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Awesome work, thanks for the LP!

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
That was a cool way to go about presenting this game, and you get a thumbs up for using some underused characters, as well as dipping into reclassing. Thanks for making FE11 as much of a fun ride as FE12 was. :)

Miacis fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 24, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm helpful :downs:

The ending with Marth and Caeda always makes me laugh. Killing dragons: easy! Talking to girls: hard! The hero-king of legend, everyone.

It's been a hell of a ride. Good show, both with the game and Jagen. :golfclap:

LP gaiden next, it's part of the canon too

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Great LP, again. rip jagen, he afterlived as he died as he lived: telling stories to people who dont care

Also...Gharnef & Medeus are, predictably, in TMS as well. They're not weird on the level of slinky arm navarre, but they're up there. I dont think any artwork has ever been released for them and they didn't get cipher cards, so in-game screens from the wiki will have to suffice

Gharnef: https://lpix.org/2841720/640?cb=20151228205847
Medeus: https://lpix.org/2841721/640?cb=20151229165948[

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Thanks for the LP! It's been fun.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Thanks for the LP! It was fun seeing the weird old art and hearing Jagen's tale.

Though before the LP gets archived, don't forget to add idol posing Elice and the goofy FE1 art like buckteeth Abel to the art posts (IIRC they were posted after the updates?). :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Booky posted:

Though before the LP gets archived, don't forget to add idol posing Elice and the goofy FE1 art like buckteeth Abel to the art posts (IIRC they were posted after the updates?). :v:

I wasn't sure if I should toss those in, since Camel Pimp found them, not me, but if she's okay with it I'll edit 'em in before the archive, or request that that post be archived too (I think that's something you can do?).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

Back to thanks, EclecticTastes provided me with information on how the Generic Units actually function, which explained a lot of my confusion with their stats. I appreciate that!

Always happy to help. If you ever lose your mind and LP Echoes to complete the set of games set during Marth's lifetime, you can expect me to show up and :spergin: some more about math, not to mention make a bunch of jokes about the handsome blond general we've definitely never seen before and who has no connection to anything.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for the ride, LordHippomanJagen. May your tales entertain the future generations as well as they did now.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Thanks for the great LP. Shadow Dragon isn't the best game, but... I'll be honest I have a soft spot for it.

LordHippoman posted:

Thank you to Camel Pimp for her many fan art and thread contributions as well, throughout this and FE12. You found some fantastic FE1 art I’d never have tracked down myself, and I read through your Lunar LP’s while I was working on this. Y’all should go check that out.

:3:

LordHippoman posted:

Neither of these are true, as we know thanks to the sequel. A lot of these epilogues kinda have that issue.

Most of the endings I think are the same from the original. Or more or less the same; it's kind of hard to tell unless you look at the original Japanese text. But, yeah, it made sense that the original ending contradict the sequel, but they knew better here! (Maybe they didn't think they were going to remake the sequel as well?)

LordHippoman posted:

One, wow, that’s kinda sexist. Two, yes, this was Abel.

It's actually worse than it looks, because she's like 16 in this game. Or maybe 15?

LordHippoman posted:

I wasn't sure if I should toss those in, since Camel Pimp found them, not me, but if she's okay with it I'll edit 'em in before the archive, or request that that post be archived too (I think that's something you can do?).

I am absolutely OK with that. You can just link my post on the OP it should get archived. (That's what I did for Jenner's posts in my LPs) Just when Baldurk gives you that e-mail make sure to check that the post is archived on the lp archive itself and not to the forum (that shouldn't be a problem though; never happened to me.)

EDIT: I added Elice to that post

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 25, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

LP gaiden next, it's part of the canon too

EclecticTastes posted:

Always happy to help. If you ever lose your mind and LP Echoes

I think I might be done with FE, at least for now. It's been fun, but they tend to be a little info dense, and if I do another LP it'll probably be something I can put together quicker, like RF was.

Camel Pimp posted:

I am absolutely OK with that. You can just link my post on the OP it should get archived. (That's what I did for Jenner's posts in my LPs) Just when Baldurk gives you that e-mail make sure to check that the post is archived on the lp archive itself and not to the forum (that shouldn't be a problem though; never happened to me.)

EDIT: I added Elice to that post

And it is now linked in the OP.

I know this is like my third time saying this in this thread, but seriously, thank you everyone for all the congrats and kind words. It's a nice feeling of accomplishment once it's all said and done.

To get meta at the end here, I'll spoil a couple things. I wasn't sure about the Jagen frame story thing, because I was worried I'd overdo the joke, and I didn't want to come off like a bad version of a narrative LP or something, but reception seems to be positive, and I'm happy about that. Also, I was originally planning a surprise bonus update playing Cipher with a friend over LackeyCCG, which is a great digital card game service, but plans fell through and it might have been a pretty dull update anyway.

The reason I bring this up is that we started watching Yugioh to prepare, back towards the start of the LP.

I am now on the fifth season of Yugioh and unsure how I got here.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

LordHippoman posted:

I am now on the fifth season of Yugioh and unsure how I got here.

The same thing happened with me and Sailor Moon. My friend was watching the first season when I came over to have a few beers and a few weeks later I'm hoping they can hide a pegasus even though I know better since Sailor Moon is the most formula following show ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

To get meta at the end here, I'll spoil a couple things. I wasn't sure about the Jagen frame story thing, because I was worried I'd overdo the joke, and I didn't want to come off like a bad version of a narrative LP or something, but reception seems to be positive, and I'm happy about that. Also, I was originally planning a surprise bonus update playing Cipher with a friend over LackeyCCG, which is a great digital card game service, but plans fell through and it might have been a pretty dull update anyway.

Narrative LPs of games that usually aren't like that are neat and this was a fun ride.

I'm just sorry I didn't really have a lot to comment on, since I did enjoy the LP but I didn't really have anything I could say that wouldn't just be unnecessary white noise.

• Locked thread