Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Phobophilia posted:

i like the idea of artificial o'neills but the way its always depicted strikes me as ridiculously inefficient. you're talking about a massive volume that you need to keep pressurized, and a complex internal weather

also why the gently caress would you build detached houses with white picket fences and swimming pools and roads

The insides are always depicted as suburban wonderlands because the art was done to inspire and excite middle class americans.
More air and a bigger biosphere = a much more likely to be balanced and healthy ecosystem. Closed biospheres get harder the smaller they are and bigger ones can react to changes better. Also you don't just build space tubes as step 1, you've worked your way up to that point. Tyco station is a pretty reasonable habitat and you'd probably have hundreds or thousands of industrial stations like that before anyone considered something as huge as a big ol' pair of tubes. But the point of the O'Neill cylinder is that it's actually the most material/space efficient when it comes to habitable 1g realestate, they're massive but so are their efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Baronjutter posted:

The insides are always depicted as suburban wonderlands because the art was done to inspire and excite middle class americans.
More air and a bigger biosphere = a much more likely to be balanced and healthy ecosystem. Closed biospheres get harder the smaller they are and bigger ones can react to changes better. Also you don't just build space tubes as step 1, you've worked your way up to that point. Tyco station is a pretty reasonable habitat and you'd probably have hundreds or thousands of industrial stations like that before anyone considered something as huge as a big ol' pair of tubes. But the point of the O'Neill cylinder is that it's actually the most material/space efficient when it comes to habitable 1g realestate, they're massive but so are their efficiency.

If you want to build a big complex resilient biosphere, filling it with nothing but empty air seems like a crappy idea. I'd take inspiration from a rainforest, trees and building built upwards towards the axis, vines hanging downwards from the roof.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The "roof" is 8+ km away though. You want as big a diameter as possible so you can get 1g with lower rpm. The volume of air inside isn't really a critical cost issue and it's less resource intense that trying to seal off the middle and build it like a really fat stanford torus.

An O'Neill Cylinder just takes that torus design and stretches the tube and gets rid of the "ceiling" allowing you more air. More air is good, more air gives you much more time to react to unexpected heating/cooling or loss of pressure, it's a safety feature (and cheaper than having an inner wall). Tyco station is essentially a stanford Torus but with a shipyard in the middle and the valuable gravity-zone filled up with building. Also don't forget you can still have floors and floors of usable space "under" biosphere area. The point of it is to both help sustain the environment with it's greenery and water and be pleasant place to live. How people want to specifically configure the interior is up to them, the core concept of the O'Neill Cylinder is just to provide as much 1g realestate in space by using the least amount of materials.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ceres is in every way a special case. It's a dwarf planet and spinning it is, on the face of it, absurd.

I was talking about those small solid chunks of rock and metal that are out there.

Grand Fromage posted:

oh god what have you done
Indirectly gotten a bunch of beautiful pictures of space habitats posted. No regrets. :colbert:

Don't get me wrong, I think O'Neill cylinders are really cool. I've got a gundam avatar for goodness sake. It just seems like rough old spinning rocks are what tend to be talked about in the newer stuff I've read (Kim Stanley Robinson and so on), and I assumed there was a reason for that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Eiba posted:

I was talking about those small solid chunks of rock and metal that are out there.
They're mostly not solid though, they're relatively loose amalgamations of debris.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Asteroid "habitats" would be some holes you bury some zero-gravity living space and storage in in order to have some cheap radiation shielding. The problem is that asteroids can't be "spun up" because they would absolutely fall apart into the loose gravel they are, or crack apart even if one of the more "solid" types. You can have your lovely mining work camp in an asteroid, but you're not going to be building a long term city in them unless we find some way for humans to adapt to zero-g. But that's how you get belters, you don't want belters do you??

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

how do you fill those things with air? i dont imagine a hose would be too effecient.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

ptkfvk posted:

how do you fill those things with air? i dont imagine a hose would be too effecient.

electrolysis

:science:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/katzbearz/status/867515484807344128

:eyepop:

https://twitter.com/katzbearz/status/865396865063198721

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 25, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
holy poo poo

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Loved this video -- Don't shoot Drummer, that just makes her mad

https://twitter.com/ExpanseSyfy/status/860569811746643968

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Man, her actress really took the "unidentifiable accent" part of her description in the books and ran with it, didn't she?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you guys catch Wes Chatham on Fighter and the Kid?

He's a total MMA bro. Looks like a top guy.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
Finally caught up with season 2. This show is cool as poo poo.

My main problem is that Holden kinda sucks. Holier than thou characters are always a hard sell and it doesn't help that the actor has no charisma. I also thought Naomi felt a little off this season. But everyone else was A+ and I love all the news characters and how they expanded on the other ones like Errinwright and even that kid Diogo. But Avasarala continues to rule and I'd legit watch a show that was just about her UN shenanigans and stopping the Cold War from becoming an outright war. I hear that her henchman ex-spy dude is a really minor character in the books, but I hope they keep him around because the Bobbie/Avasarala/spy trio was my favorite. "Plus, she's really old." Anyway, good poo poo. I wish more people were watching this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still don't know if her bodyguard was legit going to betray her or not at the end or if it was all part of some ploy to escape. The 3 of them have super good chemistry and I want more.
I almost wish they'd just throw out the books and totally do their own alternative storyline based on what's working on the show or not. Because so far, it's mostly characters they've elevated from a minor mention in the book that are stealing the show for me, and Holden being pretty uninteresting.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
Me too. He seemed like an honorable guy, but with Bobbie in the picture I thought he might betray Avasarala and Bobbie would rescue her and put him down. I'm glad that didn't happen, because they're awesome together and I really want to know what he did that got Avasarala's son killed. She doesn't seem to hold a grudge.

And yeah, that's the problem with adaptations. Sometimes you want extreme accuracy, sometimes you want them to go gently caress it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They have said they approach the show as basically being the "second pass" at the novels, and that it is more the way they want the series to be, I think. They're just committed to different choices in the books at this point.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I've avoided this entire thread because of spoilers, so apologies if this has been asked. Does anyone know when season 2 is coming to Netflix? Just assumed it would go up once it finished airing on syfy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

screaden posted:

I've avoided this entire thread because of spoilers, so apologies if this has been asked. Does anyone know when season 2 is coming to Netflix? Just assumed it would go up once it finished airing on syfy

If you're US, it isn't. Just like Season 1 it will be on Amazon Prime, and it will likely drop to free on Prime just prior to Season 3. I believe both seasons are still on the SyFy site.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kesper North posted:

They have said they approach the show as basically being the "second pass" at the novels, and that it is more the way they want the series to be, I think. They're just committed to different choices in the books at this point.

Yeah the writers admit that they felt while working on the series many aspects of the book could be improved which led to things like the donkey balls episode.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This is why I love it when creators get to work on their own adaptations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm very interested to see how they're going to portray the Behemoth and the ring station if/when they get that far.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

am I a bad person to want Holden be put on a space-bus and forgotten somehow? Narrative-wise that's kinda hard given that he's the face of the 'Can & the designated captain .... but he's so boring.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Yeah so, a friend gave me a fire stick to check out, haven't watched TV in years. Had a couple days off and said what the hell when I saw this in the listing. Needless to say I have the finale for season two left for tonight and this is amazing and I never want it to stop..ever.

Ever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Yeah so, a friend gave me a fire stick to check out, haven't watched TV in years. Had a couple days off and said what the hell when I saw this in the listing. Needless to say I have the finale for season two left for tonight and this is amazing and I never want it to stop..ever.

Ever.

Dan and Ty seem happy to keep banging them out and SyFy likes their new tentpole...should get at least another two seasons!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Dan and Ty seem happy to keep banging them out and SyFy likes their new tentpole...should get at least another two seasons!

Considering they're filming S3 and 4 at the same time, that's a guarantee.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MA-Horus posted:

Considering they're filming S3 and 4 at the same time, that's a guarantee.

:toot:

Does this mean more eps at once or more time in post for s4?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The latter probs. They'll have like a whole year to work on S4

Which is probably good

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

:toot: Hooray!!!!!1

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best comedy moment for season 2 still had to be Holden making the banging Naomi confession to the crew.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Sorry, Amos repainting the Martian moon to create a situation with Alex gets it from me.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hope they do the Maneo scene some justice, by making it 1:1 book adaptation like Shed's Dead Head

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Did the book do it logically though? Spoilers for next season If the whole of the ship was transported at once, then that means every part of the ship is affected by the slow zone entirely, including maneo. He should have had as much inertia as every atom of the ship including the hydrogen and oxygen in the air. Which by all rights should have ignited on being crushed if it didnt. What about the fixtures? How deep into the hull does the slow field penetrate. By rights his ship should have exploded after being turned into a disc of pure nutronium one atom thick. The amount of kinetic energy his ship had and it 100% transfered into only Maneo? Humph. Not hard sci-fi, but cool sounding sci-fi.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Collateral posted:

Did the book do it logically though? Spoilers for next season If the whole of the ship was transported at once, then that means every part of the ship is affected by the slow zone entirely, including maneo. He should have had as much inertia as every atom of the ship including the hydrogen and oxygen in the air. Which by all rights should have ignited on being crushed if it didnt. What about the fixtures? How deep into the hull does the slow field penetrate. By rights his ship should have exploded after being turned into a disc of pure nutronium one atom thick. The amount of kinetic energy his ship had and it 100% transfered into only Maneo? Humph. Not hard sci-fi, but cool sounding sci-fi.

I don't remember book 3 that well, but wasn't it the case that the slow zone only slowed inorganic matter?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Slow Zone is smart and understands objects. It knows that people are not part of the ship but interior structural components are. It then uses its smarts in a stupid way because the plot demands it.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
The slow zone didn't affect anything inside a ship's hull or anything on a subatomic scale.

kerwyn fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 24, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Actually it did, because tomato sauce.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Nah that's just inertia being a bitch

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm interested to see how they do the station changing the velocity of the slow zone after the martians come after Holden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is a really cool look at Ceres station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cSZUFNHrs

I was a little confused on where the nice part was in relative to the lovely part.

• Locked thread