Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm really kind of bad at "making my own fun" in games and for me the most enjoyment usually comes out of executing something really well or getting into an involved story.

I'm usually the same. That's why I like BOTW so much, it's like the only game that has made open world work that way for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

I don't do the no-shield, walking backwards only & starter weapons only type replays either because people who do that poo poo are mentally ill.

Or they're kids who only have 2 games :ssh:

<--- finished Mario 64 10+ times

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Late on the Amiibo talk but: the minute they made different amiibos for the same characters in different games the entire thing fell apart for me.

Sorry your Smash Mario won't work with Mario Party, you need a different Mario for that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

exquisite tea posted:

I'm really kind of bad at "making my own fun" in games and for me the most enjoyment usually comes out of executing something really well or getting into an involved story.
I'm somewhat the opposite, while I do enjoy a good, well-written story, I also greatly enjoy aimless wandering in games like Minecraft or Breath of the Wild. In MC for example on and off I've spent the last 6 days totally underground, never reaching the surface, subsisting entirely off Zombie Jerky(rotten flesh + 2x Salt) and using abandoned mineshafts for a wood supply. Eventually I found a cavern so huge it went from bedrock to the surface, and when I emerged, I found I was a solid 5 minutes straight walk from where I went underground(that's a pretty serious distance even if walking unimpeded over land, let alone through underground caves). So I decided to build a massive stone-and-iron fortress protecting that one tiny hole into the endless undergrounds, complete with corner towers with parapets. It's a small fort, but I will probably expand it. It's mostly to be a landmark and storage facility. The bonus of stair blocks molding to be corner pieces based on location is really handy for detailing, too.

and the fort at night, in a snowstorm, and during the day

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

Late on the Amiibo talk but: the minute they made different amiibos for the same characters in different games the entire thing fell apart for me.

Sorry your Smash Mario won't work with Mario Party, you need a different Mario for that.

that's not how it works

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

Like literally the exact opposite happens. The different amiibos for the same characters tend to have overlapping functions just with the figurine being different.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[lurdiak tapping amiibo to various webcomic panels] and i suppose i need Gunnerkrieg Samus for this. typical

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

that's not how it works

Sam Faust posted:

Like literally the exact opposite happens. The different amiibos for the same characters tend to have overlapping functions just with the figurine being different.

Well blow me down!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I can't believe my power went out for 2 hours and now people are saying Zelda is bad.

That's the Zelda cycle for you. When Skyward Sword came out the hype was insane, and a ton of people were saying it was possibly the best Zelda ever. Now it seems to be mostly forgotten and/or reviled.

PantsBandit posted:

The reason people give most open world games poo poo for "you can go anywhere" is because one location is basically the exact same as the other and the only differentiation is what sort of random side missions you can do there.

Breath of the Wild's open world is incredibly varied. Gerudo Desert couldn't be more different from Zora's Domain in aesthetics and traversal.

Yes, the shrines are a bit samey and I think they could have been realized a little better, but the fun part is supposed to be getting to them.

Also if the art style of BotW looks like "generic open world game" to you I think we've been playing different games?

I'm pretty sure completing the shrines is also intended to be the fun part.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

That's the Zelda cycle for you. When Skyward Sword came out the hype was insane, and a ton of people were saying it was possibly the best Zelda ever. Now it seems to be mostly forgotten and/or reviled.

I don't think that's zelda specific

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skyward Sword praise is some Phantom Menace level denial.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I played Skyward Sword like a year after it came out and loved it + didn't realise it was supposed to be bad until I saw goons complaining in the Wii U thread or w/e

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Yesssssss more people buying their games :D

Are there any other specific ones by these folks that you'd recommend? Probably won't get another one right after I finish this but it'd be good to keep in mind for when I'm in the mood for this type of game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like Skyward Sword better than Twilight Princess tbh, but neither of them are the worst Zelda game *cough*spirittracks*cough*

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I never made it past the first hour of the Skyward Sword intro, but then again I didn't make it all the through Twilight Princess either. OoT was honestly one of my favorite games ever (it doesn't hold up for me now, but when it released it blew me away unlike almost any other game I had ever played) but somewhere along the way the 'zelda forumula' got a little old for me. I haven't played BotW yet but I'm really looking forward to it if only because they finally tried something new while still keeping the core of what made Zelda fun (exploring and finding special things).

e: Also I am now playing Horizon Zero Dawn and I am loving it. It reminds me a lot of Far Cry Primal, but kind of better in every way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the devs are from holland actually so

hollanime? :V

I would totally read an article that explained why almost all of the hidden object momgames that exist are made in Europe. It's so weirdly specific.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDksEj-kcXk

>:]

(Ignore the weird love boat thing, though apparently the hidden object game is related too because it's a sequel to a previous series but they're redoing the art and incorporating it into the series and having Emily's sister-in-law as a costar)

Man I don't even know anymore, it seems like they're just saying gently caress it and bringing everything together for a huge party lol

Oh my God, that vet game. I want to pet all the dogs. And suture their bullet wounds

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The one and only Zelda game I ever played to completion was Majora's Mask. The sense of urgency is probably what kept me going since I tend to fade out on games once the world opens up and I'm like "okay, now what."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Huh, I don't think I've ever completed a Zelda game. And I've played most of them

Closest I got was maybe Wind Waker, but I seem to remember lots of tedium collecting triforce pieces from the sea at the end?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I had the best time with Minish Cap and Twilight Princess. Don't know why, I'm not good at analysing games, I just liked their respective stories and artstyles I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
how bout you can't say skyward sword was good unless you beat it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still love Twilight Princess but playing the HD version made me more keenly aware of some of its problems. It's a bit annoying because they could've fixed some of them since they were already changing the game. Most obvious is just how dull the wolf gameplay is. Give the stupid mutt some more moves!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lotta fake gamer boys itt...🤔

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

internet forums, 2006: girls don't play videogames, lol
internet forums, 2017: unironically playing mobile games for bored dutch housewives who like soap operas

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cowcaster posted:

internet forums, 2017: unironically playing mobile games for bored dutch housewives who like soap operas

It's in English so it's for American housewives too, get it right

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Girls don't play video games, lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Progress :hai:

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Not playing games is the best licence you could have to complain about them online. Boys do it all the time, girls are just better at it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

Smash Mario does work with Mario Party though? That's like the worst possible example you could come up with too, because the Smash one works literally exactly the same as the Super Mario series one in that case.

I can't think of any games offhand where a different series amiibo just plain won't work, although there are some where different models will give you more / different bonus stuff. BOTW for example gives you the outfit of whatever version Link amiibo you're using, and an item from the game they are from.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 24, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

2016: Please don't play Pokemon GO at the Holocaust museum
2017:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Are there any other specific ones by these folks that you'd recommend? Probably won't get another one right after I finish this but it'd be good to keep in mind for when I'm in the mood for this type of game.

Do you want to stay with Steam specifically or are you okay with checking out some previous games they've yet to put up on steam?

Cowcaster posted:

And there's nothing wrong with that :colbert:

Guy Mann posted:

2016: Please don't play Pokemon GO at the Holocaust museum
2017:

You saying there's something wrong with Rohan at the Louvre?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Do you want to stay with Steam specifically or are you okay with checking out some previous games they've yet to put up on steam?

Whatever your favorites are, don't care about platform. I'm gonna make a note of them for future reference.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

You saying there's something wrong with Rohan at the Louvre?

:thejoke: is that that's literally the Louvre's gift shop.

Rohan at the Louvre is at the Louvre.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

And there's nothing wrong with that :colbert:

i didn't mean to imply that there was!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

:thejoke: is that that's literally the Louvre's gift shop.

Rohan at the Louvre is at the Louvre.

That's not super surprising given that it was a work commissioned by the Louvre

Regy Rusty posted:

Whatever your favorites are, don't care about platform. I'm gonna make a note of them for future reference.

Ok, of the ones I know of:

There is a 4 level "game" that acts more as a demo for Fabulous Angela's Fashion Fever, but that game is its own thing separate from Fashion Fever (I think, I'm relatively certain it isn't included with Fashion Fever). That game is called Fabulous Angela's Sweet Revenge and it is free to play.

The first Delicious game I watched KCB play was the 5th game in the series, Delicious - Emily's Holiday Season. From what I can tell, if you care about story stuff then you'll want to start at Delicious 2 (that is its name, no subtitle on that one) since that was the first one to incorporate a story. The first Delicious game was more or less just a clone of Diner Dash. The second one is the one that started changing up some stuff like, quoting wikipedia here, "put items on their plate ahead of time rather than only directly at the time that the items were ordered by a customer"

Delicious - Emily's Tea Garden (aka Delicious 3) is apparently more of the same as Delicious 2 but with the inclusion of the "find the mouse" challenge in each level.

Personally, I'd recommend starting with the 4th Delicious game, Emily's Taste of Fame, since that is when they started including the level-to-level challenges to shake things up. It also went further with the story because while previous games did have plot and cutscenes, it was limited to just Emily and a few others, while this one included a ton of new people and gave them animations and dialogue and everything.

Basically, I'd say start with Emily's Taste of Fame, if you decide to pick up any of them. Hopefully it will one day be available on steam.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Monopoly is pretty fun and moves quickly if you actually read and follow the rules so, for example, every time someone lands on an unoccupied space and they don't buy it it kicks off a bidding war. Most of its reputation as terrible game comes from people ignoring the rules and inventing their own so games turn into hours-long stalemates where the winner is whoever lands on Free Parking and gets thousands of dollars of free money built up over the game.

I dont see how that rule makes anything better since you should always buy whatever you land on

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pretty sure the proest monopoly strat is any time one of your friends suggests "hey, let's play monopoly", you hit them in the head with a shovel

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Crossposting from steam thread cause hell yea

FirstAidKite posted:

I was idling for cards for Heart's Medicine - Hospital Heat and the cards for that game....are also memes!!!

Nobody has uploaded the artwork yet (I think you can only do that if you have the actual card itself) but I've got some of the art to share from the cards that dropped for me

...Wonderful lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks! I appreciate it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

how bout you can't say skyward sword was good unless you beat it

I beat it and liked it, even though it has flaws.

• Locked thread