Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

On the surface, the world is very much like the one you see outside your bedroom window. The same people are walking the same dirty streets, the same animals rummage through the same garbage, and the same mindless crap is shown on the same television stations.

But sometimes, the world just doesn't seem right. Why do certain figures appear out of nowhere and become famous overnight? Why do so many people disappear each year? What is the government really paying for when it shells out $75 for a screwdriver? Why is it that any answer unearthed always leads to another question?

Sometimes you can't see what defines your world. This is the nature of conspiracies. This is the nature of Conspiracy X. No one tells you to not mind the man behind the curtain, because no one tells you the curtain is there.

Behind the curtain lies Aegis, a secret organization at work within the United States government. Aegis has been aware of extraterrestrial presence on Earth for more than forty years, and has had an in-depth understanding of the supernatural for the last twenty. Aegis' self-appointed duty is to monitor alien and supernatural activities and counter those it deems unacceptable.

But Aegis isn't the only shadow group in existence. The National Defense Directorate, codenamed Black Book by Aegis conspirators, is embedded within the American military-industrial complex and has extensive dealings with extraterrestrial agents. Indeed, the NDD has entered into several high-level treaties with the invaders. To Aegis agents, the NDD represents humankind at its most opportunistic and morally compromised.

Once part of the same organization, Aegis and the NDD now wage a secret war of covert operations, abductions, and human experimentation behind a façade of lies and disinformation. As part of Aegis, you are authorized to employ any means in your fight against the NDD and its inhuman allies. The Aegis arsenal combines high-tech surveillance equipment and state-of-the-art weapons with psychic warfare, supernatural rituals, and stolen alien technology. Lies, deception, cover-ups, sacrifice, and force - even terminal force - are part of the job.

The conflict has raged for nearly fifty years, and the stakes are high. Humanity's existence on earth as master or pawn - indeed, humankind's entire existence - depends on your vigilance, and your success.

Be careful who you trust.

----

You have been recruited by Aegis. Maybe you started noticing something subtly wrong with the world. Your phone makes strange clicking noises, you know what someone is going to ask you before she says anything, or perhaps you lost hours, even days, which are completely unaccountable.

Maybe it wasn’t quite so subtle. How did that guy in the suit rip that man’s arm clean off? Your little sister has been missing for years. The police just brushed the case under an already bulging carpet, but you won’t let it go. Or perhaps a routine X-ray revealed a foreign metallic object implanted in your skull.

Either way, you have been exposed to something the government has been trying to cover up for decades. Something Aegis has been trying to fight since Roswell.

So who or what is Aegis? Aegis came together in the face of a single, unprecedented threat: alien invasion. Some might argue that invasion is too strong a term. No large-scale battles have been fought, no armies flood the streets, no flying saucers hover over the White House. Clearly, there is no current invasion in the manner most would imagine from decades of Hollywood coverups. Still, ever since we discovered the truth about aliens among us, we have known that they do not have our best interests at heart. What else could we expect? They are, after all, an entirely different sentient species, with their own morals, beliefs, and goals. They care for themselves just as we care for ourselves. We do not fault them for their ambitions or their needs, nor do we support them. We fight for ourselves, for as a species that is all that we can ever do.

Aegis stands as the United States’ first and last line of defense against the alien menace. Whatever else happens, whatever missions we undertake, whatever else we do, we should never forget that our primary mission is the defense of the nation, and our world, against our foes, whoever they might be. When a new operative, agent, or researcher joins a cell, he swears an oath. He promises to hold his tongue, never to reveal to the public the truth about the war that threatens us all. He also swears to protect that same public from this insidious threat, no matter what the cost, personally or publicly. Make no mistake, joining Aegis is like joining an army. It means that you are willing to put your life, your livelihood, and your reputation on the line in order to save your people and your country.

----

Welcome to Conspiracy X, a game that is at its heart a fusion of the X-Files, Men in Black, and X-COM, pitting you, the agents of Aegis, against the ever approaching doom of humanity at the hands of various alien species, the supernatural, and even the greed and hubris of humankind. I'm going to let the book describe itself here:

quote:

All roleplaying games have at their hearts the “What if . . .?” question. In Conspiracy X, the question is “What if aliens really were present on our planet? What if the government knew this all along? What would they try to hide?” By taking on the roles of Conspiracy X Cast Members, players have the chance to answer these questions and more.

Conspiracy X is a game that combines elements of government intrigue (shady covert organizations, shadow governments, paranoia), science fiction (the existence of aliens, abductions, the paranormal, alien invasions, black magic), and conflict (the war to save the planet from alien invasion, fighting other shadowy organizations and the forces of darkness).

In effect, anything is possible. From investigating Lovecraftian horrors or haunted places where teens are being killed off one by one, to alien invasions, psychic experimentation, and ultraviolent suit-clad agents battling for the survival of humanity, the world of Conspiracy X should challenge, thrill, excite, and inspire players and Chroniclers alike.

Players come from a variety of professions and civilian backgrounds from across the world, including criminals, psychic homemakers, CIA and KGB agents, and even members of hidden organizations like Project Rasputin.

I am making a game for Pre-Heroic/Neo-Talented individuals, meaning you guys are fresh recruits and not fully inundated to the horrible reality of the grand conspiracy. All professions from the core book are open, and I'm going to ask you exactly what sort of game you want to see. Do you want something action-packed, with intense, down to the wire risks and shoot outs? Or do you want something more subdued and investigative, dealing with the tangled web of lies upon lies that forms the grand conspiracy? Do you want to deal with one of the three extraterrestrial threats, supernatural threats, or human threats?

If you really want any of the paranormal qualities, please clear them with me; while I want you guys to have some taste of it in this game, I don't want you to be summoning Lovecraftian horrors from word one.

All in all, I am looking for FIVE people to go down the rabbit hole, with a backstory on how you came to be involved Aegis; what lead to that one fateful phone call that changed your view of the world, and the events that occur in it, forever? I will be keeping recruit open until July 1st. If you need help making your character, you can usually find me in SynIRC in #Acolyte, or you can PM m.

Once picks are made, we'll go ahead and work out the hideout your particular cell has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

imgay and i'm getting first post

e: I want primarily investigation, peeling back the layers of the conspiracy, followed by scenes of sheer terror and "running on the razors edge" action. I would like to make a hacker type duder and I wanna deal with ayy lmaos.

Character sheet to follow.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 19, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I figure it might be prudent to briefly go over the three alien races, since it's not really in anyone's best interests to go up against all three, and each sort of fits into the action/investigation niche a little bit differently than the others. Assume all of this information is unknown by Aegis and your character. Also I ended up writing about the other two options so there's that too.

The Greys: These are the stereotypical aliens, short little grey dudes with bulbous heads and big black eyes and no mouths. They're an entirely psychic race that evolve from psychic space coral (yes) and eventually relegated everything they do to psionic and psychic means, including reproduction.

Then came humanity, who is latently psychic and unaware of it with zero control over it. Our psychic feedback has been so loud and obnoxious that is has absolutely destroyed the grey's society and prevented them from reproducing for centuries now. They are a physically weak and pacfi race, and their primary interest is teaching us to control our psychic powers or breed it out of us, so we stop cock blocking them.

Currently, they work alongside NDD/Black Book to help bio-engineer humanity's psychic powers. They are aware of and terrified of the Saurians, and are wholly unaware of the Atlanteans due to their lack of psychic ability.

The Saurians: Saurians are shape shifting lizard men that love to fight and kill poo poo and have incredibly advanced technology specializing in just that. According to them, they were the original inhabitants of earth aeons ago, and they want it back. They're perfectly fine with us staying so long as we bow to them as our supreme overlords.

Saurians have brought with them incredibly destructive plasma technology, as well as the means to transform their bodies (including masking their DNA) to disguise themselves as humans; such saurians cannot revert back, and are known as the Men in Black, and fortunately they retain their lizard eyes (even though they can mask their DNA; i dunno either.)

They also work alongside the NDD/Black Book to supply them with weapons and technology, in exchange for their compliance in delivering the planet to the Saurians. The Saurians are aware of and dislike the Greys but don't feel threatened by them, and are incredibly suceptible to their psychic powers. They are also aware of the Atlanteans and hate their guts and will murder one instead of saving their own skins, if the opportunity arises.

The Atlanteans: Atlanteans are a race that looks exactly like humans, but perfect and beautiful in every way; they are the race Giorgio A. Tsoukalos has been driven insane by, as they are behind almost all of humanity's advancements and are responsible for most major events in human history. At one point, they physically interacted with humanity and became the template for every deity that humanity has worshipped, up until 0 BCE. So yes Jesus was an alien.

They really do not give much of a poo poo about us, save for the fact we substain them and empower them somehow with our worship, maybe? Their technology is perfect and sleek and yeah they're basically elves. They're not a very interesting race in my opinion and have way too much bullshit lore, even worse than humanity cockblocking an entire race by simply existng. Though apparently they did have Kennedy killed.

They have not made contact with NDD/Black Book but have made some contact with Aegis. They are aware of and amused by the greys but don't involve themselves with them, and they are aware of and dislike the saurians but try to avoid them.

Black Book: These guys are humans who originally made contact with the greys in the 1940's and decided, hey, let's trick these dudes and beat the poo poo out of them and conquer the planet for ourselves. Then they learned about the Saurians and decided to apply the same plan to them and work both sides at once. They are aware of Aegis and hate it. They are also aware of Atlanteans and have a boner for tricking them just like they have Saurians and Greys, though it should be noted SOME Black Book really do want to go along with those two races' plans for humanity.

The Paranormal: Practically all paranormal activity is created by the latent psychic powers of humanity, and they typically manifest during times of great stress or fear. Every urban legend, every myth, is a reality that has been greated by the gestalt psyche of humanity, and no one region has exactly the same paranormal instances as another.

Werewolves, vampires, and every other monster invented by humanity is a human being that has been twisted and corrupted by these psychic tears in reality. They are every bit as dangerous as myth makes them out to be. Santa is real. The Easter Bunny is real. And they'll probably eat you.

The approach to dealing with psychic corruption depends highly on the type of psychic threat, and this is really the most flexible option and also the most daunting to write for.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 20, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Special Agent Abe Hanson

And what makes you think Mr. Hanson is a suitable candidate for recruitment into AEGIS?

He's determined, fearless, and effective. Top marks on marksmanship and hand-to-hand. Frankly, I'm surprised he's not military special forces. His day-to-day work as an agent is more average, granted, but I think he's a diamond in the rough. With a little time and a little pressure, I think he could be a major credit to the organization.

I'm looking at his psych profile and I'm seeing a lot of red flags. Signs of antisocial tendencies: explosive temper, occasional reckless behavior under stress, friction with other agents and agencies. Bit of a hero complex. And there's a wife and infant in the picture, which you know I don't like. They're targets and potential leaks.

If you're looking at his psych profile, you're also seeing even more reasons to take him on. He's a perfectionist, derives all his satisfaction from a job well done. And he's loyal; we have every indication he'd lay down his life for a mission or a friend. Once he establishes loyalty, he doesn't change his mind. And the wife and kid are proof that he can play well with others. It's a happy marriage, despite the distance the job forces on him.

The fact of the matter is, he's a good agent with the potential to be a great one. If we tell him aliens and the paranormal are real and show him the evidence, he'll believe it without question. He'll see that information and our job offer as a sign of trust, a reward for his good work, which is what he craves. I guarantee you that he'll accept, and his loyalty will be assured. And that's precisely why I'm concerned about losing him. If the NDD approaches him first and makes this offer, he'll take it, and then we'll have him working against us. He loves the feeling of being part of something important, something bigger. He won't care about the specifics of what they're doing, and even if he finds out, his loyalty will win out over any misgivings he might have.

So you want to bring him in because you're worried the opposition will get to him first?

To put it bluntly: yes.

Make the call.

pre:
Name: Abraham Hanson
Profession: FBI Field Agent

Strength: 3
Dexterity: 3
Constitution: 3
Intelligence: 2
Perception: 2
Willpower: 2

Life Points: 34
Endurance Points: 24
Speed: 12
Essence Pool: 15

Skills: 30/30

Acrobatics 1 (+2)
Bureaucracy 2 (+2)
Climb 1 (+1)
Dodge 3 (+3)
Driving (Car) 1 (+1)
Escape 1 (+1)
Guns (Handgun) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 1 (+1)
Martial Arts 4 (+8)
Notice 1 (+1)
Research/Investigation 1 (+1)
Running (Dash) 1 (+1)
Smooth Talking 1 (+1)
Surveillance 1 (+1)
Stealth 2 (+2)
Swimming 1 (+1)

Martial Arts:

Punch 4
Disarm 4
Roll With Blow 4
Break Free 1
Draw Pistol 1
Shoot 2
Grab 2
Choke 2
Break Neck 2
Trip 2

Qualities: 15/15

Fast Reaction Time (+2)
Influence (Law Enforcement) 1 (+1)
Nerves of Steel (+3)
Resources (Middle Class) (+2)
Status 1 (+1)

Pulling Strings:

Arrest Powers (+2)
FBI Forensic Laboratory Analysis (+1)
Fingerprinting (+1)
Quantico Training Facility (+2)

Drawbacks 10/10

Dependents (Wife and Child) (-3)
Emotional Problems (Anger, Humorless) (-3)
Honorable (Mild) (-1)
Obligation (Extreme) (-2)
Psychological Problems (Recklessness, Mild) (-1)

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 25, 2017

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thinking of submitting a BDS Bodyguard whose primary task is to keep the teams noncombatants alive when in dangerous situations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sometimes you just have to go with what life gives you. That's what Vahid believes, and it was a life motto that he could follow. When the US army wouldn't take him because of his Iranian ethnicity, although they made other excuses to avoid a legal battle, Vahid decided he could serve his country in another way. Being 6'11 and more intimidating than just about anyone else made it easy for Vahid to get through private security training and become a bodyguard. With less than two years of on the job experience, BDS hired him to act as an ambassadorial bodyguard for dignitaries traveling too and from the middle east.

How he came to AEGIS attention, he isn't sure. But they offered him a chance to fight for his country in ways that actually mattered more than the routine defense of self-important political wannabes.

pre:
Name: Vahid Nura
Profession: BDS Bodyguard

Strength: 3
Dexterity: 2
Constitution: 4
Intelligence: 2
Willpower: 2

Life Points: 41
Endurance Points: 32

Dodge +4 (4)
First Aid +3 (3)
Guns (Handguns) +4 (4)
Intimidation +3 (3)
Martial Arts +3 (6)
Notice +5 (6)
Swimming +2 (2)
Weight Lifting +2 (2)

Martial Arts:
Grab +3
Pistol Whip +3
Roll with Blow +3

Basic ESP (0)
Influence (Law Enforcement) 1 (+1)
Resources (Middle Class) (+2)
Status 1 (+1)
Situational Awareness (+2)
Fast Reaction Time (+2)
Hard to Kill 1 (+1)
Nerves of Steel (+3)

Pulling Strings:
Mobility
Official Agendas
Security Protocols

Drawbacks 10/10
Obligation (Extreme) (-2)
Honorable (-2)
Sleep Disorder (Deep Sleeper) (-2)
Dependent (ill mother) (-2)
Minority (Persian) (-1)
Addiction (Habitual Smoker) (-1)

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 27, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Putting in an interest check for a CDC scientist, depending on what else gets put in before the end of this.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
WIP

Question regarding the following from IRC:

quote:

09:16 Dyne DeathWorkwich yeha you can have multiple spheres of influence and some jobs actually come that way out of the box
09:17 Dyne and you do need the 4 combined ranks of social status to have more than 1 level of influence
09:18 Dyne influence can only be equal to half your combined resources/rank/status
09:20 Dyne but yeah there is literally nothing stopping you from having Influence (R&D) and deciding, hey, ima buy me some influence with the military
09:20 Dyne though obviously you need to have a reason to have that connection

Is influence pre-requisites requirements cumulative? If I can swing Status/resources to get another rank of influence, do I have to make a hard choice between upping my Science & Research influence or adding a first level of Military, or are the status/resource requirements for Military influence tracked separately from Science & Research influence? The rulebook isn't real super clear on that part. Part of my character concept was a CDC attache to the Army and/or a Law Enforcement agency to advise on chemical/biological agents.

----------

Dr. Robert Pohlmann, ID

Robert Pohlmann has been a respected member of the medical community for many years now. First as an internologist with a specialty in Infectious Disease, working in John Hopkins Teaching Hospital. Later in his career, he joined the CDC as an infectious disease expert and even wrote several respected research papers dealing with infection transfer rates of Ebola, and, more recently a detailed study on the Zika virus and the rate of its spread through Central and South America.

His reaseach has earned him a fair amount of name recognition among the scientific community, and his speaking appearance on several pop-science television shows has given him some minor name recognition among Facebook science enthusiasts. His education and significant work experience has given him a fair amount of weight to throw around in the CDC, which has allowed him to really focus in on field work and the ability to travel where he is needed.

His induction into Aegis was more a product of being in the right place at the right time more than anything. He was on site at a quarantine in Costa Rica for a bacteria that wound up being extra-terrestrial in origin, and once Aegis was on site, they utilized the Doctors experience and connections to work out a panacea for the malady.

After that event, he's been tapped by Aegis under the guise of a civilian consultant on biological agents for the Department of Defense while he gets situated with his cell and oriented in his new station.

pre:
Name: Dr. Robert Pohlmann
Profession: CDC Scientist

Strength: 1
Dexterity: 3
Constitution: 2
Intelligence: 4
Willpower: 3

Life Points: 22/22
Endurance Points: 23/23
Speed: 10

First Aid +5
Medicine (Diseases) +5
Science (Biochemistry) +3
Bureaucracy +4
Guns (Handgun) +2
Dodge +3
Notice +2
Stealth +2
Research/Investigation +2
Driving (Cars) +1
Instruction +1

Influence (Science & Research) 2  (2)
Resources (Well Off) (4) =+1 status
Status 1 (1)

Pulling Strings:
CDC Labs (2)
Dangerous Toxins (2)
Dangerous Virus (2)
Hidden Cures (1)
Quarantine (1)

Drawbacks 10/10
Obligation (Extreme) (2)
Emotional Problems (Humorless) (1)
Psychic Void (3)
Sleep Disorder (Recurring Nightmares) (1)
Notoriety (Scientific & Research communities) (2)
Psychological Problem (Delusions of Grandeur, Mild) (1)

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 2, 2017

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It's cumulative,

Influence (R&D) 1 + Influence (Military) 1 needs 4 points of rank/status, and Influence (R&D) 2 + Influence (Military) 2 needs 8 total points of rank/status.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

But remember that you get a free point of Status for every two points you spend on Resources (which basically means count your Resources rank like Status since it's 2 points per rank.)

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Ey girl, you ever been with a haunted tent?

Pavla Vlasova

Born to a pair of married Project Rasputin parapsychologists sometime after the organization had been co-opted by AEGIS, Pavla grew up sheltered in one of the secret facilities situated in the U.S. Her parents were preoccupied most of the time, but did their best to instill some form of values within her, particularly pride for her Russian roots. At the same time she also doubled as a test subject, the top brass interested in seeing if she had any psi potential within her after some promising early testing revealed the distinct possibility of such. It proved to be slow going, though, with Pavla only at first showing a slightly more developed proficiency with Basic ESP than most. This would continue until around her early 20's when she had her first actual premonition, the accuracy of which was later verified.

After some further training, her induction into AEGIS was made official. It's been quaint.

pre:
Name: Pavla Vlasova
Profession: Rasputin Psychic Agent

Attributes  (15/15)
Strength:		1
Dexterity:		3
Constitution:		2
Intelligence:		4
Perception:		2
Willpower:		3

Life Points:		22
Endurance Points:	23
Speed:			10
Essence Pool:		17

Qualities (15/15)
Influence (Intelligence) 1 [1]
Psychic [5]
Resources (Average) [0]
Status 1 [1]

Pulling Strings
Psi Labs [2]
Psychotrons [3]
Satellite Alexis [3]

Drawbacks (10/10)
Obligation (Total) [3]
Body Double [1]
Charisma [3]
Emotional Problems (Fear of Rejection) [1]
Talentless [2]

Skills (25/25)
Acrobatics 3 
Brawling 2
Bureaucracy 2
Electronics 3
Escape 4
Hand Weapon (Foil/Rapier) 3
Language (Russian) 3
Notice 1
Science (Parapsychology) 3

Powers
Cognition (Strength 1/Art 1)

Zomg fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 30, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

A former Marine recruit, Mr. Case's potential career as a infantryman was cut short during Basic Training when he jumped over an obstacle and landed in full kit onto an ammo can, shattering his femur from all the weight he was carrying. Medically discharged from the Marine Corps. Henry Case went back home to New Orleans where he worked on a degree in Computer Science at UNO. When he wasn't learning coding, he was learning Russian to make himself competitive when he applied to those big three letter government agencies. He had a knack for languages and managed to snag himself a Boren Scholarship to go study abroad in Moscow with them boujee motherfuckers from Tulane. After graduation he got picked up by NSA where he spent most of his time working signals intelligence at Fort Meade.

He did very well for himself but his bum leg kept hurting and it was costing him time at work. He turned to the darknet to acquire the pills he need and started taking them way more than he needed to. This drug addiction could cost him his clearance and his job if it ever came out because it's that kinda poo poo that spies can use to blackmail folks into flipping. And its also the in Aegis used to flip Case when, whilst he was working on decrypting and translating some SIGINT traffic, he came across a reference to DIRECTORATE X and Greys. His supervisor pulled him into his office, tossed two manila folders in front of him. One was a internal NSA memo blacklisting him as a Chinese spy, with all kinds of candid shots, and falsified SIGINT traffic. The other was a quick taste of what was behind the words DIRECTORATE X and Greys. "What kinda lateral move you tryna make here Case?"

The rest was history.

Player note: The ammo can story is a story I overhead while riding with some Marines in Camp Pendleton. Those guys got dropped off at the School of Infantry and I got dropped off at Field Medical Training Battalion. Figured it was a more interesting way to write up my NOT SNOWDEN NSA Computer Hacker.

pre:
Name: Henry Case  
Profession: NSA Computer Scientist

Strength: 2
Dexterity:  2
Constitution: 2
Intelligence: 3
Perception: 3
Willpower: 3

Life Points: 26
Endurance Points: 26
Speed: 8

Bureaucracy +2
Computer Hacking +3 
Computer Programming +3
Computers +3
Guns (Handgun) +1
Electronic Surveillance +3
Electronics +2
Notice +3
Language (Russian) +4
Science (Cryptography) +3
Systems Operations (TEMPEST) +3

Hyperlingual 1 (2)
Influence (Intelligence) 1 (1)
Influence (Science & Research) 1 (1)
Resources (Well-off) (4)
Status 2 (2)

Pulling Strings:
“Blanket” Wiretap (2)
"Codebreaker" Supercomputers (2)
Computer Security Database (1)

Drawbacks 10/10
Addiction (Habitual use of Opiates) (5)
Crippled Leg (3)
Obligation (Extreme) (2)

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 7, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dyne, is this a game where we have a lot of different Sciences/Engineering/Medicine skill groups, or just one big one? Because that's a big deal for how smart our smart guys can be.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

wiegieman posted:

Dyne, is this a game where we have a lot of different Sciences/Engineering/Medicine skill groups, or just one big one? Because that's a big deal for how smart our smart guys can be.

For the most part they sort of treat the Science and Research as one giant umbrella in terms of your influence, but certain pulling strings and pieces of requisition require you to be a member of their organization to even use them.

In terms of skills, though, you are able to specialize a little more depending on what your focus is in.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dr. St. Martin

"The gently caress you say it walks, look at the legs. How does it even stand up? loving haunted alien super-metals, making GBS threads all over physics. You don't pay me enough for this bullshit."

With years of research experience on the Aurora program and several other exotic offworld technology projects, Dr. St. Martin possesses a near encyclopaedic knowledge of most of the "impossible loving raygun bullshit, what the hell" that an Aegis team will run into in the field, and has made a point of brushing up on some of the more compartmentalized information on human psychic abilities. Apparently, the "ghost robot" was something of an eye opener.

To be brutally honest, even training from veteran Aegis Prime personnel hasn't made him much good in a fight - but he's a one stop shop for gear of all shapes and sizes. Doc is even somewhat familiar with the operation of the cutting edge Aurora craft, since he helped build the drat things, though he lacks the fully developed psychic powers and nano-interface systems needed to make optimal use of them in combat.

pre:
Name: Dr. St. Martin
Profession: Ranch Scientist

Attributes (15/15)
Strength:	  1
Dexterity:	  2
Constitution:     2
Intelligence:     5
Perception:	  2
Willpower:	  3

Life Points:      22
Endurance Points: 23
Speed:            8
Essence Pool      15

Qualities (15/15) & Drawbacks (10/10)

+1 Status                            [1]
Basic ESP                            [0]

Influence (Science & Research) 2     [2]
Resources (Middle Class)             [2]
Status 2                             [1]
Pulling Strings:                     [9]
 Alien Technology                  [3]
 Lab/Workshop                      [1]
 Mobility                          [1]
 No Trace                          [1]
 Ranch Analysis                    [2]
 Specialized Aircraft (Aurora)     [2]
Obligation (Total)                   [-3]

Impaired Senses (Glasses)            [-1]
Addiction 2 (Ferocious Chain Smoker) [-2]
Emotional Problems (Commitment)      [-1]
Weird Delusions (Germophobe)         [-1]
Deep Sleeper                         [-2]

Skills (30/30)
Computers +1
Electronics +3
Mechanic +3
Sciences +4
 (Alien Tech +6)
Engineer +3
Research/Investigation +4
Occult Knowledge +3
Piloting (Aurora) +1
Guns (Handguns) +3
Dodge +3

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 2, 2017

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lieutenant Jace Durst, BLUE FLY Pilot

You know what I always find funny about most of theses AEGIS guys? Each of them was some boring rear end DEA agent or something until the supernatural or paranormal suddenly crept into their lives, and they were recruited for something special. Not me. Always liked fast things. Fast cars, fast bikes. Spent most of my high school years doing illegal drag races until I graduated high school and joined the USAF. Became a pilot. Mostly focused on two things, helicopter para-rescue and mother loving A-10 Warthogs. Was drat good at both.

I guess by the look on your face you recognize the name now, right? Yeah, I am that Jace Durst, world famous for having been shot down in Afghanistan in 2003, though most of the world knows me with a much longer beard from the press photos after they negotiated my release from the Taliban. Far as I'm concerned all them Allah worshipers are the same, they all hate our way of life and want us dead. But at least the Taliban were willing to negotiate for hostages, unlike these ISIS Towelies that get a loving hard on from decapitating white folks.

So yeah. After I returned home and rehabbed, I was reassigned to BLUE FLY. Knew what the public knows, that they were the folks who went and intercepted downed foreign planes, drones, weather balloons etc. Within a month of being assigned out in the loving desert the base commander drags me in, tells me I've got a mission to go recover some crashed alien space craft. Base Commander didn't even know I hadn't be read in yet. So in the 20 minutes or so it took me to suit up, he explained to me that aliens were real, we've known about them for years, and while BLUE FLY does all that foreign craft recovery poo poo, they mostly recover downed alien craft. Put me in some fancy helo, and four hours later I was helping BLUE FLY field agents drag in some dead lizard assholes from their small craft.

Only loving aliens I've met are dead ones, but their tech is loving tight. You ain't flown until you've been in a grey saucer, breaking atmo. Need to get me one of them.

pre:
Name: Lt. Jace Durst
Profession: MOONDUST BLUE FLY Pilot

Attributes (15/15)
Strength:	  1
Dexterity:	  4
Intelligence:     3
Perception:	  3
Willpower:	  2

Life points: 19
Endurance points: 20

Qualities (15/15) )
Influence (Military) 2 [2]
Military rank 3 [3]
Resources (Middle Class) [2]

Pulling Strings
Alien Tech [3]
BLUE FLY transport [2]
Cheaper vehicles (aircraft) [1]
Specialized aircraft [2]

Drawbacks (10/10)
Obligation (extreme) [2]
Reckless (serious) [2]
Prejudice (mild) [1]
Clown [1]
Notoriety [2]
Flashbacks [2]

Skills (30/30)
Bureaucracy 3
dodge 2
Driving (car) 3
Guns (SMG) 3
Guns (aircraft) 3
pilot (helicopter) 5
Pilot (jet) 5
Pilot spacecraft 2
Stealth 2
Survival (forest) 1
Swimming 1

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Daniel Usenko

[AUDIO TRANSCRIPT p-00439259-1]
[SUBJECT INTERVIEW: Daniel Usenko]
[CONDUCTING AGENT: REDACTED]
[ALSO PRESENT: None]

REDACTED: Please have a seat, Mr Usenko.
[SOUND OF CHAIR BEING MOVED]
REDACTED: Would you like a drink? A cigarette?
USENKO: No.
REDACTED: Mr Usenko, I want to make it clear that you're not under arrest. You're not in trouble at all.
USENKO: So I can leave, then?
REDACTED: As soon as we're done here, if that's what you want, yes. For the record, you are Daniel Yakiv Usenko, born April eight, REDACTED?
USENKO: Yeah.
REDACTED: You've had no fixed residence for the past three years, instead travelling the Western states as a street performer under the name Osman. Mr Usenko, do you believe in magic.
USENKO: [laughs] Yeah, sure I do. Abracadabra!
REDACTED: No, Mr Usenko, I'm talking about real magic. You specialise in mentalism, yes? The art of reading minds? How do you do it, Mr Usenko?
USENKO: Don't you know a good magician never reveals his secrets?
REDACTED: Do you think this is the right time to be holding secrets, Mr Usenko?
USENKO: Ok, fine. I use cold reading to lead the-
REDACTED: Mr Usenko, I'm aware of what cold reading is. I'm also aware that your own skills go beyond cold reading. We've watched your YouTube videos. In fact, Mr Usenko, we've had our eye on you for some time. What if I told you that there are real psychics, and you are one of them?
USENKO: This is a joke, right? Where's the hidden camera?
REDACTED: I can assure you this is no joke, Mr Usenko. There is an entire world, hidden from view. You have the potential to become a part of that world, Mr Usenko. I'm offering you a path into that world. I'm offering you a job. Would you like to know more, Mr Usenko?
USENKO: Yeah, ok.

pre:
Name: Daniel Usenko
Profession: CAPS Psychic

Attributes 
Strength:	  2
Dexterity:	  4
Intelligence:     2
Perception:	  2
Willpower:	  3

Life points: 26
Endurance points: 26

Qualities 
Increased Essence Pool 1
Influence (Paranormal) 1
Psychic
Resources (Middle Class)
Status 1

Pulling Strings
Corruption Treatment
Occult Library
Pool Data

Drawbacks 
Addiction (Light marijuana)
Clown
Notoriety
Obligation (Total)
Phobia (Claustrophobia, Serious)

Skills
Acting 1
Brawling 1
Bureaucracy 1
Cheating 2
Dodge 1
Driving (Motorcycle) 1
Escape 2
Gambling 1
Haggling 1
Occult Knowledge 1
Pick Pocket 3
Sleight of Hand 5
Smooth Talking 2
Research/Investigation 1
Science (Parapsychology) 1

Powers
Mind Probe (S1/A1)

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 30, 2017

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking a fighter who also writes.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I got 4 points left over for pulling strings and I pulled off 3 influence at gen. What we want?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Viva Miriya posted:

I got 4 points left over for pulling strings and I pulled off 3 influence at gen. What we want?

You only are spouse to have 15 quality points at character creation, so you actually overspent by 6 points.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

You only are spouse to have 15 quality points at character creation, so you actually overspent by 6 points.

I'm dumb.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 24, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

incoming meatman

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Going to repost my guy from the last time you ran a recruit for this....again. Hopefully irl stuff doesnt kill this one.

Peter Valruki

Peter rubs his wrists, still chafing from the cuffs that had been on them minutes before. The suit entering the interrogation room looked like your run of the mill government agent. What he was doing here in the police station, Peter didn't know. Sure he had a history but nothing they could connect to him would warrant a G man, though the man did lay down a thick manilla envelope as he sat down.

"You do know why I'm here, don't you?."

"I was framed. Obviously. And you're here to let me go." Peter says sarcastically.

Impossible to tell with the mans sunglasses on, but despite them he can feel a hard stare.

"Let's not insult each others intelligence here. You've got quite a history." The G man opens up the folder and consults the papers. "Peter Valruki, known in the underworld as 'Mr. Purple'. Mother dead for 7 years...Father unknown. Started out as a second story man, quickly moved on to bigger crimes. Became a safe cracker, diamond theif, etc etc the list goes on." The man flips to another page.

"Made your mark when, on a drunken bet, managed to steal every piece of clothing your hometown mayor owned. Gained a reputation for competence and as a heist planner. Earned your moniker for your fondness of purple shirts, which you'd wear at meetings. In good standing with most major crime groups, affiliated with none. Quite a few people owe you favors, others willing to work with you based on your reputation. You've led quite a busy life and yet, even found time for a child. Melissa, age 5, who with you in jail is in custody of Child Protection right now."

Smoldering at the mention of Melissa, Peter starts to stand up but feels hands on his shoulder push him back down. He hasn't the faintest clue how someone got behind him, but he subsides as the G man goes on.

"Yesterday however you came onto our radar. We had been watching the man who's house you robbed for quite some time. But your intrusion ended that, sent him into hiding. And you were found unconsious inside, with nothing to show for your attempt. Except a tatoo, one that bears a remarkable resemblance to a playing card the house used to hold. And it left you, shall we say changed?"

Peter feels cold at the mention of yesterday. He shivers unconsiously, remembering. It was supposed to be an easy job, in and out with the card, drop it off with the buyer and pick up a nice finders fee. But he had ignored the instruction not to touch it directly, wondering what the fuss was. But the card was cold, so cold, and only darkness met him. When he woke in jail, nothing felt the same. He was more intune with the world, could feel strange eddies around him. They frightened him in ways he could barely understand.

The G man smiles at Peter, the first sign of emotion he's shown this whole time.

"Yes, you know what I'm talking about. Criminals are a dime a dozen, but after what happened, you acquired a different value . Which is why you're getting an offer. My organisation wishes to recruit you. You'll have Melissa back and cared for. You'll be out of jail, though your criminal record will remain and be a fugitive. But its the only choice you've really got."

He pauses a moment, letting it sink in.

"Tomorrow night, your cell door will open. No one will impede your way. A black van will be waiting outside. Enter it, and you'll be reunited with your daughter."

Peter sits there stunned, dazed as the G man leaves. A cop comes and hustles him back to his cell a minute later. When he looks back in the room he doesn't see anyone else there. The next night, he enters the van.

pre:
Character Type: Pre Heroic

Profession: Non Violent Criminal

Attributes:
Strength       2
Dexterity      3
Constitution   2
Intelligence   3
Perception     2
Willpower      3

Life Points: 26
Endurance Points: 26
Speed: 12 mph
Essence: 15

Qualities: 13
 Good Luck 4
 Influence (Criminal) 1
 Psychic
 Resources (Middle Class)
 Status 1

Drawbacks: 10
 Adversary (Law Enforcement)
 Covetus (Mild, Money)
 Dependent (Young Daughter)
 Honorable (Serious)
 Minority (Romani)
 Secret (Criminal)

Skills: 30
 Brawling +3
 Acrobatics +2
 Escape +2
 Guns (Submachineguns) +3
 Lockpicking (Mechanical) +3
 Lockpicking (Electronic) +3
 Notice +1
 Pickpocketing +3
 Smooth Talking +3
 Stealth +4
 Streetwise +3

Pulling Strings 2
 Accomplices
 Criminal Resources

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Looks like these are all the apps we're getting, so I'll pore over them tonight and tomorrow and post my picks tomorrow night! This is basically last call, since I'll be making picks tomorrow probably around 2 PM CST, so we can get an OP up tomorrow night or Sunday (after we spend RPs.)

e: I will likely make picks around 7 PM CST or so; I've had a few people PM me with interest in the game so I want to give them a chance to get something up.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 1, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
And here's our cell!

Abe Hansen - FBI Field Agent (Dachshundofdoom)
Heny Case - NSA Computer Scientist (VivaMiriya)
Dr. Martin - Ranch Scientist (Wiegieman)
Dr. Pohlman - CDC Scientist (DeathSandwich)
Pavla Vlasova - Rasputin Psychic Agent (Zomg)
Peter Valruki - Some rear end in a top hat (Quornes)

I also tallied up your resource points based on your influence, and hey, what a surprise, the team comprised primarily of scientists has a shitton of science and research points.

Science - 25
Intelligence - 10
Criminal - 5
LEO - 5
Military - 0

These points ARE lost if you don't spend them. If it's something that's restricted, like stuff only available to Rasputin agents or NSA, then you can NOT use the points of your colleagues towards that purchase unless they could purchase it themselves, but if it's simply an Influence type, you can spend any mix of the required influence to purchase it. Also, for all intents and purposes, 'Civilian' resource requirement can be met by ANY resource points.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 2, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Alright, as far as what I would suggest for a baseline

For the boring min-maxy approach

Estate ( 4 Criminal Resources, 1 science) - 20/20 space
+Pool (4 space)
+Gym (2 space)
+Four Car Garage (2 space)
+6 Dormatories (6 space)
++ Field Hospital (2 space) -3 science
++ Medical Workspace (1 space) -1 science
++ Bugproof Auditorium (1 space) -2 criminal resources
++ Electrical Workspace (1 space) -1 science
++ Mechanical Workspace (1 space) -1 scence

5 Heavy Pistols and 5000 rounds -1 LE
5 Submachine guns and 5000 rounds -1 LE
6 Kevlar Vests -1 Science
10 Helmets -1 LE

Magic Van -10 Intelligence
Biohazard Ambulance -7 Science

2 Electronic Lockpicks -1 Law Enforcement
10 vials Tranquilizers (60 doses) -1 science
10 vials of Sodium Pentothal (60 doses) -1 science
10 Laser Sights -1 criminal
20 Gun mount flashlights -1 Science
12 Handcuffs -1 science
1 Quarantine tent -1 science
1 Signal Jammer -1 LE

Staff: Driver -2 Criminal Resources

------

At this point, that puts us at 5/5 LEO, 5/5 Criminal, 7/10 Intelligence, and 20/25 Science, which we can put into buying laptops, radios, bugs, software and whatnot. We have enough vehicle space for everyone in the team, plus room for two more (assumedly one in the coupe and one on the stretcher in the ambulance if we're bringing back someone with us). The weapons and armor for the team is taken care of, and we have a good, general purpose facility that doesn't break our budget. If we want a *lot* of available space, we can upgrade the sedan to a minivan for +1 intelligence and we can really black bag people in style.

Take 3, speak up if we need any other changes.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 2, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Works for me

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Ey girl, you ever been with a haunted tent?
Works for me too.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
:same:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Looks good to me. We don't really have any aircraft capabilities, should I drop the Aurora stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
:tinfoil: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825749

• Locked thread