Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I had to go to bed after the 12th and it went on for another TWO HOURS. Good game, OU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

C. Everett Koop posted:

Just be aware that they Never. Stop. loving. Chanting. From start to finish. I guarandamntee you they chanted for all 17 loving innings and could chant for another 17 more.

Yup. This starts in their younger summer leagues and just continues from there. I used to follow my cousin around for her travel ball (we would plan summer vacations around one of the out-of-state tourneys each year) so I got to hear a whole bunch of them.

Since I was a little kid and didn't enjoy watching the sport that much, I collected and traded team pins during/between games. It was something basically all the travel teams did. You would buy a whole bunch of your team's pins and then trade them for pins of the other teams that you meet in the tournaments. Different pins would have different value depending on size, whether they had blinky lights, or dangly bits attached by a chain.

I used to have a big binder with felt pages that I kept my collection in. Don't know where it's at now, though. Was fun to do.

Oh yeah, those girls play serious, too. My cousin played shortstop and had her collar bone snapped when she tried to field a grounder and the base runner just plowed right into her.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 6, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Quandary posted:

Two down one to go so close...

"C'mon Sooners, let's go!"

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Bracket is set: (http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d1)

Vandy @ Oregon State (Friday Start)
Cal State Fullerton @ Long Beach (Friday Start)
Sam Houston State @ Florida State (Saturday Start)
Mississippi State @ LSU (Saturday Start)
Davidson @ Texas A&M (Friday Start)
Kentucky @ Louisville (Friday Start)
Missouri State @ TCU (Saturday Start)
Wake Forest @ Florida (Saturday Start)

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
With Stanford and UNC gone, it's good news for the Beavs, obviously. Routing for Mississippi and Wake Forest. Vanderbilt will be quite the test. They have arguably the top college pitching prospect and top college OF prospect. Hitting will be the reason why the Beavs reach Omaha. Need to help the pitchers out this week.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I'm hopeful that LSU can plow through MSU and get to the CWS with a deep run. We had lots of phenomenal players come back for senior seasons, I would love for that to pay off!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

aww, I was kinda wanting to go down to SpringyMO for the Supers (and they could have hosted, too: they share Hammons Field with the Cards AA team, and the Baby Birds are away)

that UofK-UL matchup is going to be utterly lit, and it sucks that the Louisville AAA team has a home series this weekend because it'd easily sell out that stadium

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Vols hire Tony Vittelo to replace Seranno.

Ok!

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Chad Holbrook did us a favor and resigned, thank god. He's a class act of a guy who was really active in the community, so it sucks it didn't work out, but unfortunately there's a little more to coaching than just that. I'm really curious and excited about this search -- Ray Tanner implied he's willing to write a blank check, and we should have no trouble attracting some big names.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 8, 2017

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/06/luke_heimlich_sex_crime_surfac.html

Welp, that was a fun season.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Davidson went down 6-0 to Texas A&M but rallied to tie in the 9th and the game's now going to the 14th. That is all.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Okay let's bring it home Ags

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Baine Shoenvogel, person who exists

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

elentar posted:

Davidson went down 6-0 to Texas A&M but rallied to tie in the 9th and the game's now going to the 14th. That is all.

They lost that one in 15 btw.

Also in game 2 they gave up the tying and go ahead runs in the 8th on an infield popup where the second and third basemen collided and the one who made the catch dropped it when he hit the ground.

Baseball is unspeakably cruel :getin:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
go a gata

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

LSU pulls out an 8th inning come back and it feels really good.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I gotta say I watched the highlights of A&M beating Davidson and I'm not entirely sure the dropped catch should have been ruled as such

I'll loving take it though; Omaha bound!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

With only one series still ongoing, only one of the Super Regionals this year has made it to game 3. SNOOOZE

Seems like that's kind of always how the Supers go, though.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

It has been pretty surreal here in Corvallis. Whole lotta people I thought I knew saying some real hosed up poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

HMS Beagle posted:

It has been pretty surreal here in Corvallis. Whole lotta people I thought I knew saying some real hosed up poo poo.

About the paper or about the pitcher?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

General Dog posted:

About the paper or about the pitcher?

More about the paper. I've heard multiple people complaining about the paper digging into the past for no reason.

The pitcher got a standing ovation last weekend from what I heard.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It would have come out anyway. I have to assume MLB teams do routine background checks on top prospects, and this would have come up. A talent like him going undrafted would have raised serious questions, and someone would have provided the answer.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Konstantin posted:

It would have come out anyway. I have to assume MLB teams do routine background checks on top prospects, and this would have come up. A talent like him going undrafted would have raised serious questions, and someone would have provided the answer.

Yeah, that's what gets me. I don't know why people are mad at the paper. He would have been drafted Monday if this hadn't come out, and someone in a major city would do some basic research.

Then there's this whole, "he was just a kid thing." 15 is old enough to know not to rape a child.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
CWS starts today at 2 PM Omaha time, 3 Eastern. Two pods of four teams apiece, double elimination, leading to a best of 3 final series. Bracket.

The only good thing about the lovely super regional round is that the CWS is stacked. Louisville is a slight favorite, but they'll have to go through preseason #1 TCU, Florida, and a hot Texas A&M team. Oregon State would be the easy favorite even in this field with Heimlich, but now they're joint second with LSU. Florida State had a bad year by their standards but picked up to win the ACC tournament; Fullerton's along for the ride but definitely have the history to hang in. Should be a good ten days.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Fullerton got out to a big start, up 3-0 in the first and 5-1 as late as the 6th. Beavers have tied it up now though, 5-5 in the 7th.

edit: OSU wins, 6-5. Fullerton had the chance, couldn't take it.

elentar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 17, 2017

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Well this has been a great inning for LSU!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Oregon State kicking the absolute poo poo out of LSU in the winner's bracket today. Hard to see anyone beating them twice in a row.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

elentar posted:

Oregon State kicking the absolute poo poo out of LSU in the winner's bracket today. Hard to see anyone beating them twice in a row.

Hey it's okay, last year's CWS finalists both lost game 2, right?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Lol, Aggies have had TCU end their season for 3 years in a row now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

go gators

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

At the risk of going full Jeb!, please cheer for the LSU Tigers Friday afternoon.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Kevin O'Sullivan is rumored by several reputable sources to be our top target right now, which is a little hard to understand for several reasons. It'd be a largely lateral move for him and he's already getting paid a shitload, but he has been frustrated with the lack of fan/administrative support for his program and may not feel as loyal (for lack of a better word) to Florida's new AD. Of course, if UF finally breaks through and wins it all this year, there's a 0% chance of him coming here.

Clemson's Monte Lee, who probably would've already been our coach had the timing worked out, is supposedly not quite out of the running either. Again, I don't believe it would happen, but stealing him from Clemson would be absolutely incredible.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

We've got two forced game 3s today to determine the finals. Both should prove to be pretty entertaining games!

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Geaux Tigers! (Please...)

Sir Plus
Jan 16, 2008

Ain't easy looking this eggstraordinary.

hoping for a tigers gators final!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Let's go Beavers, let's get a rally going

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Beavers getting pounded. :mad:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Sir Plus posted:

hoping for a tigers gators final!

Let the S-E-C chants begin!

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Geaux Tigers! (Please...)

Agreed!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Dat strike zone. :wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

elentar posted:

I am surprised.

Don't expect to see another college team as good as this year's OSU any time soon.

• Locked thread