Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

stahn airhead-ron is cool...it's just that he is gourry with a weird cape. his sprite in towns and stuff looks really weird cause of it. like he has a real long scarf

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

I think Nier: A has a better story but that's just because it's theme and message resonates with me more, and I liked what they did with the characters.

Also, Zestiria is pretty bad. Combat's not terrible but enemy damage is way overtuned, and the plot is literally 10% of a completed game hastily strung together by unfinished cutscenes. Take an actual look at the 'direction,' it's so shoddy and all over the place that it actually game me visual whiplash a couple of times. And the plot completely abandons you for the middle third of the game as you run around reenacting the plot of ff1. Minus time travel.

And the equipment system is both horrific and terribly explained.

The characters are still decent and there are some funny skits but that's true of every tales game.

that equipment system is a true rpg atrocity. its so bad that even if the rest of the game was good it would still be a bad game. its like they tried to cram every single terrible design decision about equipment in one place

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jeez, the list of improvements to the GU games is kind of great.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/23/hackg-u-last-recode-screenshots-show-comparisons-new-features-improvements/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I haven't played the dotHack games, but I can't help but find the idea of armor-plated twin-tail hair goddamn hilarious :allears:.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No mention of new side content unless I missed something?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I recall G.U. movement being pretty zippy, though it has been ages since I played so that may just have been relative to the original games. Either way that is a pretty good list of improvements.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i didn't realize the maury pauvich show was so popular in japan

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't remember Luca making jokes.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

drat, that's cold

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't remember Luca making jokes.

It's been a long time since I went through the DS Innocence, but he had a a couple lame ones I think. IIRC that joke was different from the original, but it sounds similar enough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everyone always asks for the bad news first anyway

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While I'm on an RPG buying spree, is I am Setsuna worth picking up at the discounted price or not worth playing at all? I've heard mixed opinions of the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Your Computer posted:

While I'm on an RPG buying spree, is I am Setsuna worth picking up at the discounted price or not worth playing at all? I've heard mixed opinions of the game.

It's serviceable. The music is nice at times and it's fairly pretty (aside from character designs which I personally don't love). It really wants to be Chrono Trigger but never really rises to that level. It's kind of a comfort food RPG - all your favorite stuff is there but it's kind of bland and easy to digest.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Levantine posted:

It's serviceable. The music is nice at times and it's fairly pretty (aside from character designs which I personally don't love). It really wants to be Chrono Trigger but never really rises to that level. It's kind of a comfort food RPG - all your favorite stuff is there but it's kind of bland and easy to digest.

i'll voice my dissent to this opinion and say that it borders on being a badgame and the only thing that prevents it from reaching there is the production values you get from a studio of its size. its missteps include such great things as

1) in the middle of the game, after the "you're still learning this game" grace period but before you get good combination attacks, you hit a slump where you fight a ton of rpg bosses with only one valid strategy and if your party doesn't include the core character (with the right spell equipped), you'll die. this could've been easily remedied if they let you switch characters on the fly like in ff10. but it doesn't because gently caress you, when was the last time you saved? i hope you like unskippable pre-boss dialogue dumps

2) "rare hunt" monsters. they're super powerful and they replace a fixed regular encounter in every area. this should be ok, but it's not because sometimes they spawn after bosses but before the area exit (i.e. save point on the world map), or at the end of a long dungeon. you can run, but a couple of them don't have a setup phase and just go straight into busting out an attack that does more damage than you could ever have hp to your entire party. gg

3) near the end of the game, there's this idiotic dungeon where it asks you binary answers to these nebulous questions about what it means to be a king. if you give the wrong answer, it kicks you back to the beginning of the area and respawns all the monsters. they aren't hard, but it's just the dumbest goddamn thing.

e: one of the questions is, "do the people need a monarchy?" no is the wrong answer. yes is the right answer, but then halfway through the game's inane explanation of why, it says "the people don't need a monarchy once they decide they don't"

4) various other minor annoyances that i can't be bothered to recall but it's a game that wants to be good like old school ones but brings all the baggage of modern games while throwing a lot of simpler things that made older ones good out the window

tl;dr, don't buy im setsuna. if you have 30 bucks to burn, get prey or even the tenth line or something but do not get setsuna

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 24, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cosmic Star Heroine is also on sale.

All I'll say about I am Setsuna is if you do go with it, even if you're a fan of Active in ATB systems, do not use it in Setsuna. I dunno what the difference is between it and everything other game I've done Active in but it feels broken and not in your favor.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Nier Automata keeps getting better at better. After I beat the game for the first time, I thought it was really amazing but not near the original. Now as I'm working towards the third ending, it’s starting to close in. The last hour was definitely the best part so far. (For those that don't play Nier games, going towards the third ending just means you're in the third segment of the game)

I’m not feeling that the gameplay is much different from the original. I’m enjoying it a lot but I also enjoyed the original's gameplay and never understood the complaints. It went from good to great but I can’t say how anyone could think it went from bad to great. I feel like I’m playing mostly the exact same way as the first game with some slight differences. There's no one that would play the original and play this and not know instantly that they were playing a game in the Nier series.

The music is nearly up there with the original, meaning it's among the best in gaming.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just want to say that since E3 I have been extremely excited for the new Ni no Kuni.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Your Computer posted:

i am setsuna is trying very hard to imitate a bad game but is in fact even worse than that game and has none of the few redeeming qualities of that game. i cannot name one single thing i am setsuna does well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd probably buy i am setsuna for like five bucks but for thirty, as someone who's already not big on chrono trigger, it sounds aggressively dull

Caphi posted:

I just want to say that since E3 I have been extremely excited for the new Ni no Kuni.

i'll be excited if the bosses aren't all insane damage sponges. it looks really pretty but every time they release footage of a boss fight it's just everyone chipping away at the boss for like five loving minutes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

i am setsuna is trying very hard to imitate a bad game but is in fact even worse than that game and has none of the few redeeming qualities of that game. i cannot name one single thing i am setsuna does well.

literally nothing in CT is bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hating Chrono Trigger is the most goon opinion.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a slow game with really repetitive combat and an encounter system that replaces the tedium of randomly popping into enemies when you don't want to with the dread of knowing you're going to pop into an enemy and sit through the slow, samey combat for the billionth time

i don't think it's a bad game but if the sidequests weren't really good and it wasn't just 20 or hell, in my case, 15 hours long, i wouldn't be able to bear it. it's not a perfect game, and is in fact, reasonable to dislike

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is no game were it's unreasonable to dislike it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

corn in the bible posted:

The bonus dungeons in the DS remake you're best off skipping.

The Prehistoric Era is pretty loving obnoxious on every playthrough.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

???

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just beat the first dungeon in Ever Oasis, seems pretty fun so far, though maybe avoid if you really need a challenge because it's been super easy so far. Dungeons being very Zelda-y was a nice surprise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hating Chrono Trigger is the most goon opinion.
me and colonel are the only people on this site ive seen rag on it

list of bad things in chrono trigger:

1) the combat animations are all super slow and can't be skipped or sped up
2) 99% of combat encounters end with you fire cycloning everything
3) most of the cast are really boring and get no development, except magus and frog
4) the prehistoric era
5) there's a whole lot of literally nothing in the plot between finding out about lavos in the future and finding out magus's backstory. that literally nothing makes up about 60% of the game. maybe even 80%, it's been a while.
6) if you ever get lost in a dungeon the whole enemy respawn mechanic instantly sucks
7) the combat just isn't very interesting or fun
8) dual/triple techs are kind of neat but there's no real variety to them, they're all just flavors of aoe nukes and aoe heals, because, again, the combat has no depth
9) kill all silent protagonists

list of good things in chrono trigger:

1) corridors of time and magus's theme
2) you can actually kill off crono, which is interesting
3) the sprite animation

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 24, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I am not the hottest on Chrono Trigger.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think I found it good at some point but it has not aged with me. Most of the negative points made, which I agree with, are tedious primitivisms that I was much more patient with as a child, enough to overlook in favor of all the game's clever tricks, which I still kind of respect but not enough to actually sit through the game.

e: I also feel this way about Final Fantasy 9, Tales of Eternia, and Pokemon.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 24, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't think of any traditional turn-based jrpg made before 2000 that I'd enjoy, they're all slow and lacking basic things that's standard nowadays.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
When I say Setsuna is serviceable, understand I'm generally warmer on JRPGs in general, probably more so than most people. I thought it was a simple, pretty game with a unique atmosphere. It was melancholy and morose and didn't always work, but if it's cheap I think it's worth a try. I'm not as hard on games as a lot of people here though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of good and or bad RPGs, Nep Nep 1 Re;birth has finished downloading.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

Speaking of good and or bad RPGs, Nep Nep 1 Re;birth has finished downloading.

It is an alright game with fun if not particularly deep or nuanced characters and writing, but a whole mess of gameplay mechanics with near zero thought or balancing put into them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm assuming I'll wanna grab my controller for this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it doesn't really matter

also seriously use cheatengine to boost xp gain bosses are really tanky

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I can't think of any traditional turn-based jrpg made before 2000 that I'd enjoy, they're all slow and lacking basic things that's standard nowadays.

does xenogears count, animations in that game are pretty fast (okay mech battles are kinda jank)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xenogears doesn't have the simple convenience of letting you skip dialogue boxes at times

and god help you if you get to the tower climbing dungeon and you get a random battle in the middle of a jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

does xenogears count, animations in that game are pretty fast (okay mech battles are kinda jank)

Xenogears is tough because while the battles are punchy, everything outside them feels like it takes forever. I love the game but I can't kid myself, nostalgia plays a big part.