Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

That network guy in season 7 has really tiny hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Only 2 episodes in and yeah, it's pretty fun. Both Brie and Gilpin are doing great work.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This post apocalypse storyline owns.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ep 5 onwards: Brie's Russian accent is consistently hilarious.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Grem posted:

That network guy in season 7 has really tiny hands.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This post apocalypse storyline owns.

did i miss something

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Argue posted:

did i miss something

The Wrath Of Kuntar

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What are some of the wrestling in-jokes you otherwise will miss?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This show came out of nowhere for me and was an incredibly nice surprise. I only saw 80s & earlier wrestling through vhs/dvds and later youtube but I was a huge fan from the early 90s through the late 2000s. You definitely don't need to be a wrestling fan to enjoy the show, though there are definitely plenty of nods to the fans throughout. There's even an episode where they organically explain the appeal of wrestling to people who find it silly.

The pacing was fantastic (even though having shorter episodes means I want more now, damnit) and the show does hilarious, depressing, and and touching all equally well. The main characters were all great (Bash :allears:) and Alison Brie was exceptional (shocker, I know).

Escobarbarian posted:

Ep 5 onwards: Brie's Russian accent is consistently hilarious.

Absolutely, it could have been dumb but it just kept getting better.

Definitely recommend everyone give this one a shot.

loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole

Gumby posted:

Episode 8: When was the last time you actually saw somebody on TV go through with an abortion?

This past season on You're the Worst there's an abobo

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm on episode 7 now, and I just think this is such a fun, lovely show.

Gotta ask though, with Carmen (Machu Picchu) the guys playing her father and brothers, are they actual current/former wrestlers? Because they all look it.

E: ep 7 credits is a weird way to learn Chavo Guerrero Sr died

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 24, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm on episode 7 now, and I just think this is such a fun, lovely show.

Gotta ask though, with Carmen (Machu Picchu) the guys playing her father and brothers, are they actual current/former wrestlers? Because they all look it.

Not sure about her father, but yeah, her brothers are both current wrestlers, both used to be in WWE, and now they're working for independent promotions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

loosenukes posted:

This past season on You're the Worst there's an abobo

Also Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Comstar posted:

What are some of the wrestling in-jokes you otherwise will miss?

What if my gimmick was I hugged everybody?

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 24, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sheila is the best.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Not sure about her father, but yeah, her brothers are both current wrestlers, both used to be in WWE, and now they're working for independent promotions.

Oh that's cool. Are there any other wrestler 'cameos' that we might be missing? My older brother and I were huge on wrestling when we were kids, I'm kind of interested if they've got more current guys peppered in this show that I just don't know of.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh that's cool. Are there any other wrestler 'cameos' that we might be missing? My older brother and I were huge on wrestling when we were kids, I'm kind of interested if they've got more current guys peppered in this show that I just don't know of.

Well, Salty The Sack, the trainer from the pilot, is former WWE wrestler John "John Morrison" Hennigan, who now mostly wrestles as Johnny Mundo for Lucha Underground. And Tammé is played by Kia Stevens, otherwise known as Awesome Kong or Kharma. That's actually an in-joke in episode 2, where Cherry asks Carmen to help her show how to lock-up and Tammé thinks she's being asked and goes "I don't know anything about wrestling".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Steel Horse is Alex Riley, who was with WWE until recently. Mr Monopoly is Joey Ryan, a big name on the indie scene. The two guys wrestling before Steel Horse and Mr Monopoly are Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian, who were a tag team in TNA a while ago.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Alex Riley shows more charisma in his episode than in every thing I have ever see him do.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Alex Riley shows more charisma in his episode than in every thing I have ever see him do.

GLOW is the only universe known to humanity where Alex Riley would be over as a main eventer.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

GoutPatrol posted:

It's probably due to receiving direction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The "THIS IS A SOAP OPERA" moment in episode 5 was brilliant.

e: on episode 8, and I want to amend my previous statement: Sheila and Justine are both the best. READY STEADY GO

precision fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 24, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

GLOW is the only universe known to humanity where Alex Riley would be over as a main eventer.

Nah, he'd be perfect as some mid-level teritory's local white-bread babyface champion who brags about the time he once did a 30 minute draw with Ric Flair for the NWA World title.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

precision posted:

The "THIS IS A SOAP OPERA" moment in episode 5 was brilliant.

I can't believe I didn't see that coming from a mile away.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This show is amazing, I can't think of a single complaint for the whole season.

Looking forward to season 2!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Just finished this and gently caress if Welfare Queen isn't the best drat character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weekly font posted:

I can't believe I didn't see that coming from a mile away.

I know, I felt like a complete idiot but I was grinning like one.

Grem posted:

Just finished this and gently caress if Welfare Queen isn't the best drat character.

Skank rulz ok

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just want an entire compilation of Awesome Kong facially responding to things.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I did like that Awesome Kong's first line is "I don't know anything about wrestling!"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

The announcers/producers face when he reads "sand rat" off the card is really the best example of why I liked this, there's a lot of little facial things the actors do in reaction to each other's and their own lines that up the comedy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Whatsisname, clitface?"

Christ this show is funny.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I nuts or did the styling on this show really age Alison Brie? I'm feeling like it was a choice but maybe she's just aging and I wasn't aware since I haven't seen her for a while? Either way I don't think the 80's look was the kindest to her.

The show was pretty great. Marc Maron is incredible and Kia Stevens seems so loving fun to hang out with between her amazing work on this show and the shoots I've seen clips of.

Another wrestler cameo: Machu Picchu's other brother is the man most commonly known as Brodus Clay in WWE, now Tyrus on TNA.

I'm not as bullish on the show as some here but it's definitely good and well worth the watch. The good parts DEFINITELY carry the less good.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 24, 2017

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Am I nuts or did the styling on this show really age Alison Brie? I'm feeling like it was a choice but maybe she's just aging and I wasn't aware since I haven't seen her for a while? Either way I don't think the 80's look was the kindest to her.
Her avclub interview when she discusses the 'sexlessness' of Ruth helps explain it.

The series really grows across the run, and it was the KKK fight that sealed it for me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Her avclub interview when she discusses the 'sexlessness' of Ruth helps explain it.

The series really grows across the run, and it was the KKK fight that sealed it for me.

Ahhh yeah, that makes sense. Interesting.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Wrestling fan here. I liked the show. It was a fun, dark comedy in the style of Orange is the New Black but the cast wasn't quite as endearing as OITNB's was in the first season.

I also could have done with 1 hour long episodes, particularly since there were only 10. I know people complain that Netflix shows drag in the middle, and I'm probably in the minority, but with a fun ensemble cast like this one has I could have used the focus being on different characters with an extra 20~ minutes an episode. I felt like Junk Chain(Sydelle Noel) could have used some more screen time and background. Similarly, Justine's story was also very weak and relied too much on the trope and less on her being an interesting character.

I guess I could have done with a little more social commentary at times, but it also felt like when they did some social commentary it was mostly for laughs but with a hint of subtext that whatever they were joking about was actually a serious social issue that is hosed up.

Kia Stevens aka Awesome Kong was great and they used her really well. When she was 'The Welfare Queen' she came off great because she obviously knew the kind of mannerisms that a pro wrestler would do.

I'm curious if they'll stick with the GLOW format and have an almost entirely new cast each season.

I wasn't sold on Betty Gilpin, having seen her in Nurse Jackie, Masters of Sex and more recently in American Gods; she hasn't really shown me anything in the way of her performance beyond being acceptable. Her range was good for the role here though, as it was totally her wheelhouse, and although I didn't think she was great there were a couple moments in the last episodes where she had some good lines and delivered them well.

Similarly, I wasn't overly excited by Brie in the beginning, sometimes due to the writing being a little too much, but when she wasn't being written as overacting, I thought she did a really good job as an actor trying to embrace a style of performance. Also I'll give Brie credit for a role that didn't play up her looks, in fact quite the opposite.

Maron sadly stole the show from the ladies though. He had a much better arc, a bit more to do than the other characters, and you wanted him to succeed in the end more than the other characters too I felt. Strangely, Brie had the most inconsistent story arc of them all as she was just spinning her wheels a lot while other characters did things. Again, if they'd had another ten/twenty minutes an episode I would have liked to see her embracing the role more, being the eyes of the viewer into more pro wrestling behind the scenes stuff, and becoming more empowered in her daily life by being a prowrestler.

Overall another solid Netflix show I'll be watching when it comes back for Season 2.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 24, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Only just hit ep 5 but as a wrestling fan, 2 little things that i noticed: I appreciate them getting actually known wrestlers, but good lord the guys could at least have tried to work like a mid-80s teritory? Daniels just did his finishing move (the BME) which is EVEN flashier than the move it's based on and that Carmen name-checks.
And they SO clearly got the posters for the dressing room from a British show in Blackpool, cuz Big Daddy, Kendo Nagasaki and Steven Regal are all listed as appearing at the Sandcastle.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
GLOW has achieved the highest Accolade Camel Clutch:

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/878707955000115200

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

On ep 6 or 7 right now, and Sheila the She-Wolf is the greatest.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
HA! Ep 7 "What if Bill Cosby gets mad at us!?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like the only person who is just not feeling the show. I'm only a few episodes in though. The comparisons to Orange is the New Black make sense on the surface (large ensemble dramedy) but that show went out of their way to make you care about the characters (the flashback stories). I'm hoping it changes as the season progresses but so far I just don't give a poo poo about anyone.

Maron is great in his role. Also I had no idea that was Awesome Kong/Kharma in the show. Pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Mister Fister posted:

Huh, so this is based on a true story and this wrestling league was actually televised during the 80's and 90's. I'm an 80's/90's kid and I don't seem to recall remembering seeing this on TV though.

It was pretty obscure, even back then. I remember it being on Saturday mornings on local TV stations with no network affiliation. I was aware of it, but almost never saw it.

• Locked thread