Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the problem with xenogears is the combat focused around learning cool new moves encouraging you too much to use existing cool moves which means you never learn the newer ones unless you intentionally grind for them going into random encounters and mashing specific buttons without actually setting off any special attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sakurazuka posted:

Just beat the first dungeon in Ever Oasis, seems pretty fun so far, though maybe avoid if you really need a challenge because it's been super easy so far. Dungeons being very Zelda-y was a nice surprise.

Oh, is that out? I didn't even realize Nintendo put a release date on it. The demo was super lacking which made me wary, but the game seemed good in the on-stage demo.

About the difficulty, they said that you could increase the difficulty of dungeons yourself depending on what combination of runes you used in the beginning of the dungeon. Kinda sounds like as you play further, it'll give you more options to mess with dungeons I guess?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also on foot battles practically disappear for a lot of the game (in addition to them basically only being there to grind deathblows because all the on-foot dungeons are easy as poo poo) and a lot of mech bosses are just making sure your gears are upgraded fully and using your limited toolset to smack enemies around until you build up attack levels, until the end game where bosses have weird cheap rear end gimmicks that if you don't know right away you won't win because otherwise you'd just be sitting there waiting for Hyper Mode to activate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the problem with xenogears is the combat focused around learning cool new moves encouraging you too much to use existing cool moves which means you never learn the newer ones unless you intentionally grind for them going into random encounters and mashing specific buttons without actually setting off any special attacks

That is far from the only problem with Xenogears.

Even when I was fifteen and had endless time on my hands I had to force myself to finish that mess.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Phantasium posted:

Cosmic Star Heroine is also on sale.

All I'll say about I am Setsuna is if you do go with it, even if you're a fan of Active in ATB systems, do not use it in Setsuna. I dunno what the difference is between it and everything other game I've done Active in but it feels broken and not in your favor.

Buy Cosmic Star Heroine instead of Setsuna. It's a much better Chrono Trigger (and Phantasy Star and classic JRPGs in general) tribute than Setsuna could ever be.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The Colonel posted:

i'd probably buy i am setsuna for like five bucks but for thirty, as someone who's already not big on chrono trigger, it sounds aggressively dull

i'll be excited if the bosses aren't all insane damage sponges. it looks really pretty but every time they release footage of a boss fight it's just everyone chipping away at the boss for like five loving minutes

At Setsuna's discounted price on Steam, you can pick up either Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Cosmic Star Heroine, The Witcher 3, South Park: The Stick of Truth, or all of the new Shadowrun games by Harebrained Schemes. I guess if you really like RPGs that look like a Unity engine prototype by college students, then Setsuna's a real steal at $23.99.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The bigger shocker is why Setsuna is still that expensive after a year.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Levantine posted:

but if it's cheap I think it's worth a try

lol it's on sale and it still costs like thirty clams my dude

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Colonel posted:

it doesn't really matter

also seriously use cheatengine to boost xp gain bosses are really tanky

So what, a 2, 3 multiplier?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terper posted:

So what, a 2, 3 multiplier?

2 should be about right, 3 if bosses are still kind of spongey. re;birth1 has the worst combat of any of the games on pc

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Another mark in favor of Legend of Legaia's combo system. All basic arts available from the start, and you're not terribly punished for messing around in random encounters.

Oxxidation posted:

That is far from the only problem with Xenogears.

Even when I was fifteen and had endless time on my hands I had to force myself to finish that mess.

Xenogears is great, actually. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i am setsuna is trying very hard to imitate a bad game
A take so hot I think I'm gonna need a glass of milk.

The White Dragon posted:

What? No, it's half of that :confused:

Still, interesting to hear everyone's opinions on it. I'm a sucker for oldschool JRPGs and I guess I have a high tolerance for that sort of stuff but I already have plenty of games to play so I might pass it up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I Am Setsuna legitimately has very little to recommend it. The writing goes from murky to incomprehensible, the piano-only soundtrack is a cute idea but really wears out its welcome, and the gameplay is both overly simplistic and badly designed.

It tried to cash off old-school JRPG nostalgia and did a bad job.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There were more area types shown off in Lost Sphear's trailers than in the whole of I am Setsuna.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

It tried to cash off old-school JRPG nostalgia and did a bad job.
That's the feeling I got from the footage/screenshots I saw (and why I never bought it) so I guess I'm not surprised :sigh:

Phantasium posted:

There were more area types shown off in Lost Sphear's trailers than in the whole of I am Setsuna.
Does I am Setsuna really only have the snowy area shown in screenshots?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's snowy woods, snowy mountain, generic cave, generic dungeons that look randomly generated but aren't, snowy beach, icy chasm, the final dungeon... maybe something else? The first four get repeated often.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

No, yeah that's too much for Setsuna. Under 15, preferably ~10 is probably the sweet spot for that game.

Cosmic Star Heroine is a neat game but I don't think you can remap your controller (still) so that sucks. It mostly just made me want another proper Phantasy Star game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

What if we made Chrono Trigger and it's just the dark ages except there's nothing interesting about it and no sky mountain or sky society.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Your Computer posted:

What? No, it's half of that :confused:

what region are you in because it sure as hell isn't fifteen bucks in america

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

what region are you in because it sure as hell isn't fifteen bucks in america
EU. It's ~30 bucks full price according to google and right now it's discounted by 40%. Sounds like it still won't be worth it at that price though :v:

Levantine posted:

Cosmic Star Heroine
I looked this up and... I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but oof :( Giving me some rm2k3 flashbacks, and not the good kind.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Another mark in favor of Legend of Legaia's combo system. All basic arts available from the start, and you're not terribly punished for messing around in random encounters.

Xenogears is great, actually. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

I wish I had the time to replay Legend of Legaia.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

FF7, 9 and 10 are definitely still worth playing and the Steam ports are fine.

7 has a largely unchanged early PS1 translation which isn't great though. And pretty rough graphics.

You forgot 8. 8 owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No I didn't

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

super sweet best pal posted:

You forgot 8. 8 owns.

:yeah:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I'm angsty enough to appreciate FF8

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Your Computer posted:

A take so hot I think I'm gonna need a glass of milk.

It's not that hot a take to say the actual combat/gameplay in CT is kind of lackluster and not at all what remember so fondly about it and since the gameplay is the one thing I am Setsuna was trying to emulate they're not wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not that hot a take to say the actual combat/gameplay in CT is kind of lackluster and not at all what remember so fondly about it and since the gameplay is the one thing I am Setsuna was trying to emulate they're not wrong.

they mentioned in interviews and stuff they wanted to emulate the 'spirit' of old school rpgs but im not sure how endless snow and a kind of dreary plot does that. it reminds me more of a d-list ps2 jrpg than a b-list snes one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

they mentioned in interviews and stuff they wanted to emulate the 'spirit' of old school rpgs but im not sure how endless snow and a kind of dreary plot does that. it reminds me more of a d-list ps2 jrpg than a b-list snes one.

Yeah the PS2 era link you've made makes a lot of sense

The plot is very FFX by way of a much much worse writing team since the pilgrim girl isn't as interesting or well developed as Yuna and the entire setting is bleak and dreary but it doesn't do a great job of exploring how people continue to live in such a run down world. X's entire framing device is used as a way to show A) Tidus's development as a character and B) a more understanding look on how Spirans are able to rally and live on in the face of inevitable whale death and the reoccurring antagonists (The Church of Yevona and Seymour)are forces so wrapped up in the dread and oppressive existence that they're trying to continue it because it's the only thing they can do. Setsuna on the other hand kind of barely touches on it's own tone outside of some small character moments between wasting your time with the most jerking-me-around pacing I've played through in a long time.

And don't get me started on the awful loving ending.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's fair, but that's also a way more nuanced take than "Actually Chrono Trigger was bad :viggo:"

:v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ventana posted:

Oh, is that out? I didn't even realize Nintendo put a release date on it. The demo was super lacking which made me wary, but the game seemed good in the on-stage demo.

About the difficulty, they said that you could increase the difficulty of dungeons yourself depending on what combination of runes you used in the beginning of the dungeon. Kinda sounds like as you play further, it'll give you more options to mess with dungeons I guess?

To be honest, if the demo itself didn't sell you on the game, I would probably give it a pass. There isn't too much of a gameplay difference between the demo and the full game, other than the demo not really having the town management system.

With that said, I do like it. It's a pretty cute and chill game which is like a cross between Animal Crossing and Zelda, and fairly reminiscent of Rune Factory.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dr. Fetus posted:

To be honest, if the demo itself didn't sell you on the game, I would probably give it a pass. There isn't too much of a gameplay difference between the demo and the full game, other than the demo not really having the town management system.

With that said, I do like it. It's a pretty cute and chill game which is like a cross between Animal Crossing and Zelda, and fairly reminiscent of Rune Factory.

Well, the demo made me wary because it felt like it didn't have much of the content shown off on the stream. With all the actual mechanics to play with I'm sure it probably will feel more lively.

I got it, and the game definitely feels like it's gonna lean in on the cute + chill. I'm kinda mixed on the music though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

I looked this up and... I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but oof :( Giving me some rm2k3 flashbacks, and not the good kind.

They were intentionally aiming for a Phantasy Star look and I feel they nailed it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

They were intentionally aiming for a Phantasy Star look and I feel they nailed it.

How is it compared to their older crappy games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

I can't think of any traditional turn-based jrpg made before 2000 that I'd enjoy, they're all slow and lacking basic things that's standard nowadays.

Phantasy Star IV: the end of the millennium

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Phantasy Star IV: the end of the millennium

Could really use some loving spell descriptions to go with those 14 different damage types.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
which of the gothic games should I play first? I heard 2 is the best but I bought 1-3 and going out of order would be odd.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

super sweet best pal posted:

How is it compared to their older crappy games?

Much better (the battle system is actually pretty interesting and turns a lot of encounters into something a bit puzzle like on harder difficulties) though it retains their corny sense of humor so if you can't stand that part stay away.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Playing Fate/Extra again and man, the music is so groovy. Archer's the best.

Let's see how far I can get before getting bored again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Your Computer posted:

That's fair, but that's also a way more nuanced take than "Actually Chrono Trigger was bad :viggo:"

:v:

dude, i listed why i thought ct was bad and praised it for things i thought it did well. why am i not allowed to have an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

dude, i listed why i thought ct was bad and praised it for things i thought it did well. why am i not allowed to have an opinion.

You are allowed to have it and others are allowed to say your opinion is bad