Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kilza posted:

You can throw Joe Sakic (even though he's not done anything recently, Avs are still bad), George McPhee (bad picks during the expansion draft, like Sbisa and Emelin) and Dale Tallon (gave away Marchessault and Reilly Smith for nothing) in there as well.

The expansion draft seems to have broken a lot of GM's brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

grack posted:

Ooh, strong write-in candidate.

Jim Benning hasn't done anything egregiously stupid lately. On the other hand,

Dorion: Could have traded Methot prior to the expansion draft but decided not to and lose him for no return.
Chiarelli: Traded Eberle to make cap space to sign Kris Russell to a 4x4 deal
Rutherford: Traded Sundqvist and a 1st round pick to St. Louis for Ryan Reaves and a 2nd round pick
Holland: Went way off the board for a pick, left Mrazek exposed in the expansion draft and Red Wings beat writers wrote hit pieces on him. Of course, Mrazek wasn't actually picked so that relationship was poisoned for basically no reason.

So yeah, some pretty strong candidates out there right now.

Bergevin traded PK Subban

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think the hjalmarsson trade was bad for the hawks. top pairing guy for a middle pairing guy on a long and not cheap deal and a center that's more likely to just be ahl fodder than a nhl player.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wi...-haul-prospects

WIIM posted:

The Wings drafted 11 players, one of which was shorter than six-feet-tall. For most of the Draft, the team went off the list, drafting players that were either forecasted in later rounds, or not ranked at all.

wow that sounds promising

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

Gorton for the Stepan trade? Might not have had the most amazing draft but ultimately seems OK

I'm a big fan of Stepan, but it doesn't seem bad to sell high on a guy at age 27 when he has four years left on a big contract. The younger assets were definitely going to be necessary soon, so it's a good move in a rolling rebuild without blowing the team up. I'd much rather get a high pick this way, instead of trying to be bad. We'll have to see what they do with the cap space.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That return is not selling high.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's crazy to me that next year kids will be being drafted that were born in 2000.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

As a Devils fan who watched Lou and Conte punt away many drafts, let me tell you what a bad draft looks like

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

grack posted:

Ooh, strong write-in candidate.

Jim Benning hasn't done anything egregiously stupid lately. On the other hand,

Dorion: Could have traded Methot prior to the expansion draft but decided not to and lose him for no return.
Chiarelli: Traded Eberle to make cap space to sign Kris Russell to a 4x4 deal
Rutherford: Traded Sundqvist and a 1st round pick to St. Louis for Ryan Reaves and a 2nd round pick
Holland: Went way off the board for a pick, left Mrazek exposed in the expansion draft and Red Wings beat writers wrote hit pieces on him. Of course, Mrazek wasn't actually picked so that relationship was poisoned for basically no reason.

So yeah, some pretty strong candidates out there right now.

One of these decisions is not like the others. GMJR still makes me a bit nervous but swapping 4th liners is not going to be very consequential for the Pens

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

One of these decisions is not like the others. GMJR still makes me a bit nervous but swapping 4th liners is not going to be very consequential for the Pens

Giving up a first round pick to get a markedly worse player is pretty goddamned stupid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

It's crazy to me that next year kids will be being drafted that were born in 2000.

My youngest sibling was born in 99, so this was the year players his age got drafted.

And he doesn't even have a real job, what a loving slacker.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

grack posted:

Giving up a first round pick to get a markedly worse player is pretty goddamned stupid.

It is, but dropping 20 spots in a draft isn't a future-defining moment for a team like the Penguins, while the other teams should be building.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just a fourth line swap. Usual business. Happens a hundred time a season. Just exchanging marginal players one for one. And a first round pick. NBD.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Fire

Ken

Holland

Immediately

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The difference is that this time the Penguins did it, and you're not allowed to criticize them.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its a first round pick but, its the very last first round pick innit?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

violent sex idiot posted:

its a first round pick but, its the very last first round pick innit?

Yes, and they got a second round pick back that was 20 spots lower.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Why are people sincerely trying to justify that trade.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

cenotaph posted:

It is, but dropping 20 spots in a draft isn't a future-defining moment for a team like the Penguins, while the other teams should be building.

What about dropping to #51 Then drafting someone scouted at #143 at the highest in that spot?

Edit: Oh yeah, and trading a center for a right wing on a team that has 80000000000 RW and 2 centers signed.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

grack posted:

It wasn't a good trade but if you think it's comparable to what Holland and Chiarelli are doing, you're nuts

That said, it is extremely bizarre that JR thinks the Pens need more grit after going back to back with potentially the softest team in the league*

*excluding Sidney Crosby's Good Hockey Plays of course

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Why are people sincerely trying to justify that trade.

Not caring about the trade because it has low/no impact =! justifying it

Bad trades that Don't Matter aren't as bad as Bad Trades that Do Matter. Really not a difficult concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The draft is done. Time for the offseason thread!

• Locked thread