Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

remusclaw posted:

Yeah sorry, I'm being a bit too pat about it, and speculative fiction is of course often something of a monetization of fears and anxieties about the future. Lot's of "do not tamper in god's domain" and such. Trek isn't always that way, but it often is, and it can sometimes be infuriating, as in that one DS9 episode with the shipwreck survivors turned Luddites.
It feels like the difference with Trek is that Trek admits the possibility that poo poo can go right, or right-ish, which is remarkably thin on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching The Ensigns of Command. Data just told a lost colony's leader that they have to evacuate the planet or they'll all die and he flatly refuses for no given reason.

cf. climate change

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Arglebargle III posted:

cf. climate change

Ah poo poo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So if Data's taking his neural subprocessor out of his arm to fix his phaser I hope it makes it so he can't move that arm or I'm gonna be disappointed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So if Data's taking his neural subprocessor out of his arm to fix his phaser I hope it makes it so he can't move that arm or I'm gonna be disappointed.

He has more redundant systems than Worf. He just had to stop running simulations on his masturbation subroutine for a while.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Am I going insane or are the leader's lines dubbed in?

You are not crazy. His lines were dubbed after all filming was completed. There's conflicting reasons as to why but the actor went uncredited for the episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Evek posted:

You are not crazy. His lines were dubbed after all filming was completed. There's conflicting reasons as to why but the actor went uncredited for the episode.

Weird.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode over. I was impressed by the writing, particularly around data, it was a lot more interesting and subtle than it's been up to this point.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Data has some strong writing for the episode, but I will always remember The Ensigns of Command for Picard's sauntering gently caress you to the Sheliak where he wanders over and inspects the dedication plaque while making them wait for a response.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It must really suck being a Federation diplomat. Every time you get somewhere with another race, some dipshit feddie decides they are the masters of their domain and they have claimed some planet for their rogue colony.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I love that episode because Data ultimately decides that the most rational course of action is to start shooting people.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

I love that episode because Data ultimately decides that the most rational course of action is to start shooting people.

cf. climate change

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

As he would again on The Most Toys.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

As long as you can get over "glorious 240p quality" this is fairly interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gDeTNvKizY

After seeing that final side-by-side the time cops probably should have given him a letter of reprimand for stuffing that blue shirt lieutenant in a locker because how else would he have gotten her notepad.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Tighclops posted:

I like that every time the mormons go to space in sci fi, they immediately get owned by bugs or get their ship ripped off by belters or something

The Parafaith War combines Mormons and (white) Muslims into an evil expanding superpower that pollutes space, but they're opposed by the Eco-Tech Coalition, a federation of multi-ethnic eco-friendly cyborgs.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think science fiction has been more realistic about the possible dangers of some technology, while culture at large has been unwilling or unable to face those dangers. HAL 9000, M-5, Asimov, Blade Runner, and BSG have all warned about some of the inherent dangers of automation and robotics, but those have been largely unheeded. It's not that development of new technology like autonomous cars shouldn't happen, but we should be careful and not expect that technology to "save us". If we want a better world, we have to make that better world for ourselves.

This reminds me of something Phlox says in Enterprise, in the Augments arc. The Denobulans carefully studied their genetic code and slowly made very small changes to eliminate hereditary diseases, etc. while humans pretty much used the technique with wild abandon to Improve The Species, and got Khan & co. as a result.

And the latter is pretty much exactly what we're going to do anyway, and the same with autonomous killing machines.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

And the latter is pretty much exactly what we're going to do anyway, and the same with autonomous killing machines.

All the Killbots ever wanted was to kill all humans...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think science fiction has been more realistic about the possible dangers of some technology, while culture at large has been unwilling or unable to face those dangers. HAL 9000, M-5, Asimov, Blade Runner, and BSG have all warned about some of the inherent dangers of automation and robotics, but those have been largely unheeded. It's not that development of new technology like autonomous cars shouldn't happen, but we should be careful and not expect that technology to "save us". If we want a better world, we have to make that better world for ourselves.

My personal interpretation of the ending was that we never saw anything about the humans on Caprica, the Cylon-humans on Earth 1, or the humans on Kobol every exploring the morality of robotics prior to the rising up of their robot underclasses. This was largely substantiated in Caprica the series. So if we in the present day are the descendants of the Colonials here on Earth 2, and we are starting to once again create AI and sentient robots, we may have broken that cycle. We HAVE fiction which explores the morality of enslaving AIs we create.So presumably we won't duplicate the mistakes of our ancestors in previous cycles.

But that's just my interpretation and probably has nothing to do what with what Ron Moore imagined that end to mean, or if he even thought that deeply on it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

We HAVE fiction which explores the morality of enslaving AIs we create.So presumably we won't duplicate the mistakes of our ancestors in previous cycles.

We have fiction that explores the morality of war, too, it doesn't change the fact that it happens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This reminds me of something Phlox says in Enterprise, in the Augments arc. The Denobulans carefully studied their genetic code and slowly made very small changes to eliminate hereditary diseases, etc. while humans pretty much used the technique with wild abandon to Improve The Species, and got Khan & co. as a result.

"Designer superbabies" are fast joining "assassination markets," "nuclear terrorism" and "everyone eating bugs" in the list of "future stuff that we are 100% sure is gonna happen in five years, and have for the last twenty" in my head

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nessus posted:

"Designer superbabies" are fast joining "assassination markets," "nuclear terrorism" and "everyone eating bugs" in the list of "future stuff that we are 100% sure is gonna happen in five years, and have for the last twenty" in my head

Add cold fusion and driverless cars to that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

Well driverless cars have already happened.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching The Survivors. The idea of a whole planet being glassed except one acreage is cool.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf just staked his reputation on nobody being in the system at less than ten minutes later they find a vessel hiding behind a moon. I swear he gets owned at ten times the rate of any other character.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Keep watching...

I'm really enjoying your delayed live posting from the 90s, though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Troi-hearing-music subplot is freaky.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The ship just shot the survivors' house apparently, and I have no idea what the answer to all this is. Usually I've at least got theories but not this time.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WHAT

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well. The old pacifist guy's God.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That was the most disturbing episode yet, but the exploration of pacifism and godlike power was great.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That was the most disturbing episode yet, but the exploration of pacifism and godlike power was great.

Greatness only surpassed by his passion for Real Dolls.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Finding an abandoned husnok ship in the CCG was cool. They were just sitting there empty waiting to be crewed and were Enterprise level kickass

It was a cool episode but a bit of a dowder

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mycomancy posted:

Greatness only surpassed by his passion for Real Dolls.

We have no law to fit your crime

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I ain't gonna lie. this thread hits major high points when Jeb live posts.

I got super excited to know what vexed him at this point.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rhyno posted:

I got super excited to know what vexed him at this point.

Going to guess it's when the house and yard came back.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop posted:

We have no law to fit your crime

Lol

Powered Descent posted:

Going to guess it's when the house and yard came back.

It was that + how nonchalantly the fake ship blew them up + how easily the Enterprise subsequently blew the invincible ship up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

Maybe not five, or even twenty, but 50-100, yeah.

Plus I notice you didn't include the autonomous killing machines.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think "we have no law to fit your crime" is less "we literally don't have laws against genocide lol" but more "our genocide law doesn't really cover an entity basically accidentally wishing a civilization out of existence." I mean, he'd studiously avoided violence up until that point - he didn't even try to directly defend the colony, remember, he was only willing to use his powers to fool the attacking Husnock. He goes out and sees his dead wife's body, and in a moment of grief unconsciously annihilates the Husnock, for which he is immediately regretful.

So what should he have done? He obviously didn't want to have done it, and just because the Q can apparently "renounce" their powers and become "as weak and mortal" as a human, doesn't mean a Dowd can. If anything it seems likely he couldn't, since he'd said he decided to stop using his powers after meeting his wife, but they were still there to be called upon. Is he therefore a criminal based solely on the nature of his being? That doesn't seem like a good outcome to me. Is putting him in space-jail going to make him less likely to do it in the future? If anything it seems like it would make it more likely since he'd still be around other people and what-not.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

Keep watching...

I'm really enjoying your delayed live posting from the 90s, though.

The Survivors was first aired in 1989. TNG premiered in fall of 1987.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Survivors was first aired in 1989. TNG premiered in fall of 1987.

time flies

I watched it all live when it aired, but yikes im old