Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

botany posted:

i legitimately didn't know the different factions had different music lol

because (a) i turn that poo poo off in any game real quick and (b) i only have the cards to make monsters decks, so that's what i've been playing.

I wish they add more music options to Gwent. Witcher 3 is my favorite video game soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NknjE2SBPxw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Rethaz was on the Gwentelmen talkshow yesterday and talked about stuff. Something coming up next week, maybe a dev stream or patch, that probably with next patch something is changing about mulligans also removing the lame black screens, that reddit sucks rear end, and no Sweet Top 1000 Imlereth avatar for scrubs. Git gud.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Trapper is the best card.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
nice to see that the graphical bugs are still in the game :chloe:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
alright, i think i'm done with this game for a while. aside from the bugs, the meta right now is just extremely bad and i'm not having fun. it's getting to the point where the main interesting thing to figure out is which one of the two main skellige decks my opponent is running. a meta that makes me actually miss playing against those loving scoiaspell decks is not in a good place. see you all next patch i guess.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How well is a foglet deck vs skellige? I want the try making a few monster decks.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Shouldn't Savage Bear ping a Succubus target when it moves to the enemy's side of the board?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

How well is a foglet deck vs skellige? I want the try making a few monster decks.

It does good, though depending on what Skellige you play a lot of it will be decided on the timing of your swing plays with Succubus and Mirror. The Consume list with Eredin and some weather is also good, though it depends on how many bears there are around.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Lester Shy posted:

Shouldn't Savage Bear ping a Succubus target when it moves to the enemy's side of the board?

no, the succubus target gets moved, not played. bear only damages targets that enter the game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You should be using the succubus to steal the savage bear anyways

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Control Volume posted:

You should be using the succubus to steal the savage bear anyways

No it's better to save it for Morkvarg.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

That's not nearly as funny

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Consume Monsters is tier 1 IMO. Definitely is good against normal skellige, although axemen can be tricky.

Vranmouth eat the eggs.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

worst thing is consume monsters was what I played in closed beta and when open beta started I had the genius idea to switch to Nilfgaard instead :suicide:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Nilfgaard is fine...

As long as you have a Letho and play him correctly depending on your opponent, and also play all your other cards nearly perfectly. Really the main problem with Nilfgaard is that it doesn't have the strength to be a top tier deck.

Although even if Nilfgaard is buffed or everyone else is nerfed I'd still use Letho since it's such an interesting card that can counter many strategies and can be insanely powerful with a dbomb.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Cnidaria posted:

Really the main problem with Nilfgaard is that it doesn't have the strength to be a top tier deck.

thats.. kind of a big problem

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

King Pawn posted:

thats.. kind of a big problem

I've added Bekker's Twisted Mirror to my sad spy squad. That's one thing you can say about Nilfgaard: they work really well with Bekker's Mirror since my opponent almost always has higher value cards out than me.

Between that, Letho and his DBomb, Ciri+Cantrella for card advantage, and The Guardian to gently caress with my opponent's mulligans my Nilfgaard deck can do anything (except consistently put up large point values).

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I saw an interesting twist on skellige bearsquad tonight...saldly I can't remember the twist. I literally had never seen one of their golds before

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I ranked up to 12 today!

I'm using an Axeman SK deck, though funnily the Axemen just help a bit, 2/3 of the games I win is because another combo: Hjalmar / Renew / Decree. Lots of times I get to play Hjalmar in rounds 2 and 3 with that. Usually in one round I kill the giant with weather/maidens and in the other with Alzur's Thunder.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Trapper is the best card.

the amount of weird poo poo in this screenshot is making me dizzy

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Normal Adult Human posted:

the amount of weird poo poo in this screenshot is making me dizzy

His last 2 cards were twisted mirror and scorch.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My custom consume monsters I've been piecing together works almost every time on casual even when really drunk, I don't even have any non starting golds.

I shouldn't play ranked drunk right?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
^^^^^ The first few ranks you probably could.

OMG, I think I've figured out the best possible consume deck. It's been loving up those stupid bear decks left and right*. I love it so much. I switched it up so I have The Last Wish and Azurs Double-cross, along with 3 Arachas', and 3 Nekker's all for deck thinning.

Those allow me to pull one of my gently caress everyone else Golds: Succubus & Villentretenmerth. Villen works so well with the leader consume ability. Drop Villen, let the consume machine do it's work then consume your top 3 cards right before Villen fucks up everyone. The beauty of it is that if they've got shackles they always throw it on Villen which allows my leader to still work without getting screwed over.

* with the notable exception of the time I thought locking the Ogroid unit Hjalmar puts out would negate the ability and then proceeded to consume it causing me to lose by 3 points.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Aaah, Merchant just posted up a reveal deck that's like 1-2 cards different from mine. I wanna be the hipster playing this deck. :(

Though I am debating on swapping out Vilgefortz back for Royal Decree, but Vilge is pretty cool, just being able to remove key cards is something my deck kinda lacks outside of Leo bombing people or whittling them down with Fire Scorpions.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
One of the first things I did around level 2 was play a game where the final round with one card left I managed to pull a Royal Decree after having played all three other golds

I immediately milled the Royal Decree on the assumption that no complete deck would ever use it instead of a 4th gold. I mighta been kinda right, but I didn't realize how useful it'd be in the intermediate stages before I could afford the actual golds I'm trying to use in the final version hah oops dangit

Anyhow I'm posting again about how bad the deck builder/collection interface is. I keep finding more stuff that's poo poo about it, amazing. DID YOU KNOW if you change the filter to "owned" the option to transmute your cards temporarily disappears? Wow! Owned indeed

Three different designs for the Trio cards is fun, yet also annoying to collect 9 of one card before it auto-mills.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
royal decree is a good card actually.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EvanTH posted:

One of the first things I did around level 2 was play a game where the final round with one card left I managed to pull a Royal Decree after having played all three other golds

I immediately milled the Royal Decree on the assumption that no complete deck would ever use it instead of a 4th gold. I mighta been kinda right, but I didn't realize how useful it'd be in the intermediate stages before I could afford the actual golds I'm trying to use in the final version hah oops dangit

Anyhow I'm posting again about how bad the deck builder/collection interface is. I keep finding more stuff that's poo poo about it, amazing. DID YOU KNOW if you change the filter to "owned" the option to transmute your cards temporarily disappears? Wow! Owned indeed

Three different designs for the Trio cards is fun, yet also annoying to collect 9 of one card before it auto-mills.

Roytal Decree gives you twice the chance to obtain one of the three other gold cards. If your strategy is bases in playing always one of those gold cards because you need it for a combo, then it's a very good card.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Royal Degree, Renew, Ge'els and Woodland Spirit may be taking it too far though.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
more like je'ers, because it's a running gag among the Twitch Though Leaders to get you to play that bad card.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I could see him being good if your deck was super good and only lacked consistancy, but yeah he's middling.
As a leader he's nuts and as a Gold slot he's lacking.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Well the guy who just hit rank 1 heaped praise upon Ge'els. Another example of Big Twitch trying to control your thoughts? Or maybe.. it's actually good to pull a gold and a silver from your deck?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Gorp posted:

I could see him being good if your deck was super good and only lacked consistancy, but yeah he's middling.
As a leader he's nuts and as a Gold slot he's lacking.

He's only lacking as a gold if you can reasonably expect to pull all four of your golds in a match, which doesn't really apply to Monsters too much.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Geels -> frightener -> guaranteed draws the gold you didn't pick. Now that's value.

The real problem with geels is that he sucks with crones but crones are too good to cut most of the time.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 26, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ge'els owns compared to some of the golds in the game like Draug.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

botany posted:

royal decree is a good card actually.

what do you mean "actually" i just wrote a sad lil story about milling then immediately realizing it was one of the most versatile cards in the game

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Goddamn Skelliege really has some stupid cards and they're everywhere, like cockroaches. I'll stop playing this until the next balance patch because holy poo poo

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

frajaq posted:

Goddamn Skelliege really has some stupid cards and they're everywhere, like cockroaches. I'll stop playing this until the next balance patch because holy poo poo

As a relative beginner playing the meta Skellige bears deck, I'm just amazed at the flexibility of this deck. Feel like I have answers for literally everything the opponents throws at me.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Slowhanded posted:

As a relative beginner playing the meta Skellige bears deck, I'm just amazed at the flexibility of this deck. Feel like I have answers for literally everything the opponents throws at me.

The biggest challenge playing Skellige right now has to be figuring out what to mulligan because your whole deck can be pretty great top to bottom. Bears, axemen, and ARE SHIELDS ARE ARE RAMPARTS are all silver quality cards masquerading as bronzes at the moment.

I managed to hit 2000 MMR, which I figure is probably about as high as my nilfgaard spy-clown squad can carry me until CPDR gives a little power back to Nilfgaard. I've had decent luck against most factions around this level, but a monster deck with a succubus just wrecks me every time.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Are there any good decks that aren't going all in to win round 1? It's stupidly valuable because it makes spies really good and you control how long round 2 goes etc. I have this bad instinct of giving up round 1 for 1 CA and I'm getting screwed over. Semi-related but they really need to give some kind of bonus to the player that goes first in round 1. I heard a suggestion that the player that goes first r1 always goes second r3, it sounds good to me.

Also I can deal with cancer axemen and bears but I find kambi to be the stupidest thing ever. As far as I can tell unless you have exactly shackles or dbomb there isn't much way to win (aside from having last play and a big finisher like crones). At the very least it should trigger at the end of your turn so you always have the last chance to respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

You can sort of play around kambi by predicting it ahead of time, since there are certain tells you can watch out for. You need to be especially aggressive in making sure you play the last card in round 3, and can also try to save gold cards. They'll try to shackle your golds so you'll need a lot of them.

That said kambi is a badly designed card imo.