Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This does leave a worrying thought in the back of my mind—with this release, Radiohead have tied up all their loose ends, haven't they? There aren't anymore rarely played, semi-mythical unreleased songs except for, like, their cover of Thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Rollersnake posted:

This does leave a worrying thought in the back of my mind—with this release, Radiohead have tied up all their loose ends, haven't they? There aren't anymore rarely played, semi-mythical unreleased songs except for, like, their cover of Thief.

I'm still waiting for Cut a Hole but, yeah, you're right; the most famous songs have all been released now.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
Follow Me Around is still a pretty big omission.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Those vocals sound like Thom circa 2016, not 1997. Am I crazy?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I Froze Up and a few others, but yeah, these were definitely the most anticipated when you add them to the drip feed of 'lost' songs we get on the modern albums.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Album's out.

Yeah Lift is pretty great. Hope it gets a video too.

They're gonna have to play all three of these at Glasto and their next few shows, right? gently caress I wish I was going to Glasto.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

It's kinda bizarre hearing an actual studio version to man o war. I remember staying up late in high school going through unreleased songs and early versions of different tracks. I guess no one has to listen to bootlegs any more!

unless there's a proper version of eds scary song

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

Isn't it also notable that they've not tested any new songs on this tour?

...kinda feels like they're wrapping up :ohdear:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you want to watch Glastonbury in full 1080p someone is streaming it on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/glastonburyfestival YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbHbx6BOvXA

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 23, 2017

Iverron
May 13, 2012

AARO posted:

I'm still waiting for Cut a Hole but, yeah, you're right; the most famous songs have all been released now.

I think Skirting on the Surface has a lot of potential as well.

These songs could also easily end up as solo / AFP content I guess.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd quite like Radiohead to release new songs too.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'd be down with them releasing alternate versions of old songs while they're at it. An EP tracking the evolution of True Love Waits over 20 years? Yes, please.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I get the feeling we might get kinda that with the demo cassette coming with the OKNOTOK box. The version that got warped into Pulk/Pull could be on there.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
We're definitely getting old versions of Nude, Motion Picture Soundtrack and The National Anthem, at least. That was confirmed by a magazine review this week.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Saw on another site that this is supposedly the cassette tracklist. Take it with a grain of salt:

SIDE 1
Let Down (acoustic)
[UNKNOWN SONG]
Motion Picture Soundtrack (piano acoustic)
Climbing Up the Walls (creepy little girl spoken word version)
[Karma Police sketches]
2 Fitter 2 Happier
No Surprises Please
Talk Show Host (early version)

SIDE 2
Climbing Up the Walls (trip-hop version)
[Paranoid Android sketches]
An Airbag Saved My Life
Big Ideas (Don't Get Any) demo
The National Anthem (early version)

But yeah, I'm down with more stuff like this. I'm always fascinated with the song creation process and like seeing how ideas are added, dropped and tweaked. I'm particularly fascinated with Radiohead, simply because a lot of their songs have taken years -- some even decades -- to come to fruition.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

The source for that is Record Collector Magazine so it's almost certainly reliable. Also a very reputable trusted atease poster - yes, they do exist, maybe only one though - says s/he's heard it and there's even more poo poo on the tape than the magazine review mentioned and everyone's going to be very happy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is that tape getting any official digital release or is it exclusively for the box buying elite?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just want the old version of Videotape

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Is that tape getting any official digital release or is it exclusively for the box buying elite?

The boxset comes with a download code.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Popcorn posted:

The boxset comes with a download code.

Forced piracy, cool.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fatbeats.com has the box set up for pre-order, if you wanted an alternate source to buy it from. I wanted to put it on Paypal Credit to have 6 months to pay it off with no interest, which is something the official site didn't offer but Fatbeats does. I also bought some hip hop poo poo while I was there too, because that's what I do.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
How does the remastered album sound?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!

Mouse Cadet posted:

How does the remastered album sound?

I honestly can't tell the difference.

Maybe How I Made My Millions is cleaner?'

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ballz posted:

Neither of these songs are really all that different from how they were performed live at the time, and I suspect Lift will be more of the same.

Having said that, there's a reason Big Boots and Lift have been fan favorites for 20 years, and the Big Boots video captures it perfectly. It actually makes me a little angry the band didn't think this was good enough for release in 98, because it's such a solid performance.

I might've missed it, but I didn't see anyone post a link to the video they also did for I Promise. It's peak Radiohead.

As someone who had never heard of Lift until this year, these three songs (Lift, I Promise, Man o War) sound more like The Bends than OK Computer to me.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference.

Maybe How I Made My Millions is cleaner?'

I can't tell the difference in sound quality, but there is at least one change I noticed: the synth arpeggios that play on the outro to Let Down now start a lot earlier and continue all the way through the last chorus.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If you have good headphones, you can definitely tell the difference; there's been some side channel compression and a healthy bass boost. It all sounds a bit more wider, fuller, and crisp.

Listening to I Promise and Lift, you can definitely see where they started making The Bends: Even Bendier before veering off into what would become OKC.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
All three of those songs seem cheesy as hell.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Putting out these early near demo versions of the songs almost makes it feel like they are abandoned and never to be actually finished.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Man O'War is good enough to have been a standout among the OK Computer B-Sides. Lift is good enough to have been on The Bends instead of Bullet Proof or something. I Promise is just kind of a dud.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ok computer had great b sides though. Pearly, bishops robes, Palo alto

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Bishop's Robes was a Bends B-side, not OKC.

None of the three new songs are up to snuff really, which is understandable because, you know, they weren't released. But I'm surprised that I Promise wasn't a B-side at least, since it was obviously finished. Unlike Lift, which is so obviously, tragically, a half-hearted demo take... I was never as head-over-heels in love with the song as some fans, but it deserved better than that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What song from the bends is it on? Cause I know it's on the no surprises single.

Edit: it's street spirit.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 25, 2017

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

It was first released on the Street Spirit single in January 96.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

To be fair, it was recorded between The Bends and OKC IIRC with Nigel Godrich, so it was kind of a transitional song, along with Talk Show Host.

Some might say it was their transitioning from sucking to owning, but that's another matter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

After a few listens to the whole second disc Man of War is a really, really standout track. It could have easily been part of OKC. Hell, it might not have fit on many of their albums but it's drat worthy of them.

I Promise and Lift would both have made fine B sides. Lift would've been at home on The Bends.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

After a few listens to the whole second disc Man of War is a really, really standout track. It could have easily been part of OKC.

Agreed that it's the strongest of the three new tracks, but on OKC? Seriously? It has none of the themes or textures of that album.

I still think there's something a little half-baked about it, anyway. I was never super keen on it, and was happy to leave it in the Bends graveyard... I find the opening riff boring, that three-note progression has been done a trillion times. The production is weird in some way I can't place, perhaps a symptom of it seemingly having been stitched together from old and new recordings? It reminds me of that album of unfinished, unreleased Michael Jackson tracks they stitched together with new stuff five minutes after he died, Frankenstein-style. You can tell there's something uncanny about them.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 25, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The Air that I breathe came on the radio yesterday and Radiohead got sued because creep plagiarized it, but it reminded me of a more recent Radiohead song too. I can't place it though, any help?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BigFactory posted:

The Air that I breathe came on the radio yesterday and Radiohead got sued because creep plagiarized it, but it reminded me of a more recent Radiohead song too. I can't place it though, any help?

Wasn't aware of that. On first listen there's some similarity but... Enough to win a lawsuit? I can't hear any other songs in there though.

Popcorn posted:

Agreed that it's the strongest of the three new tracks, but on OKC? Seriously? It has none of the themes or textures of that album.

Eh maybe putting it on OKC is too far but it doesn't fit in The Bends either. It's album quality, is what I meant.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Wasn't aware of that. On first listen there's some similarity but... Enough to win a lawsuit?

I really think they deserved the lawsuit. You can sing the entire "sheeee's running out" section over the verse. They even owned up to it.

What's amazing to me is that so many bands, particularly Muse and Coldplay, were derided for supposedly aping Radiohead early in their careers, and yet the fact that what remains Radiohead's biggest ever hit single was so obviously plagiarised they actually got sued is barely known even by fans. Sure enough, regardless of what you think of those bands, Muse and Coldplay had transformed their sounds within a few years, just as Radiohead did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Steve2911 posted:

Eh maybe putting it on OKC is too far but it doesn't fit in The Bends either. It's album quality, is what I meant.

They were recording it for a movie soundtrack, it would've been fine there.