Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

bewilderment posted:

Unless you're counting the PS4 pro as an entirely separate console generation, Assassin's Creed was first released on the PS3 and 360, only last generation.

What are you talking about? We've gone Wii -> Wii U -> Switch, haven't we? Not my fault everybody else is being Captain Slow. :v:

Thanks for the pointer. Still and all, early-era PS3 probably couldn't do The Real Assassin's Creed (the theoretical game where you manually scan the city streets for points of interest and can land anywhere) but an end-of-generation machine probably could. If they wanted to waste money on that rather than an HD remaster for some reason.

Looking forward to some tutorial zone videos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I've only just started on this game so I'm not going to follow the LP as closely as I otherwise might until I've gotten a good deal ahead of it, but I am looking forward to the videos all the same.

I do want to point out this game sets off my Dark Souls player instincts something fierce, to the point I keep trying to hit the A button to dodge roll and wondering why I can't. It's actually a little bit frustrating!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

With the intro and dicking about easily accomplished, it's time to dive into the first two shrines, learn some enjoyably ridiculous new abilities, and get a taste of true fear.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
There are 900 Koroks to find...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I usually save the Bomb shrine for last (yes, even after the ice-cold mountain shrine; it's not actually that hard to get there once you know what you're doing) because I am a tiny little Hylian child and Guardians terrify me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
But you already have the Pot Lid, the only thing you need to completely own any and all Guardians!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Too bad Travis isn't in on this cause he'd love the Bokoblins.

Also Mimics really should be a thing in BotW cause it make more sense here than in Kid Icarus Uprising.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I've completed one of the big dungeons. I've explored roughly 70% of the map. And yet I still fear the guardians

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I've fought the final boss. (And lost, naturally.) I've killed more Guardians than I can count. (Because I hate counting... it's probably only a couple dozen.) And I still run away as often as try to fight them. They're scary.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Frankly BotW is enough to make me want to buy a Switch.

It's like Skyrim for Zelda :allears: And that's fuckin' wonderful.

Also Thorn please continue war-crimes against the Bokoblins. It's actually mildly amusing to consider this isn't some evil cult-army of Gannon but just semi-primitive hunter-gatherers that you're running a race war against for no reason.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Welcome back to LoZ:Breath of Vietnam.

Those poor god drat bokos :v:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I, uh, got very good at countering Guardians. It absolutely is a good skill to develop. Also of note for later instances, Guardian shots are not instantaneous, meaning getting some distance often means being able to do the counter perfectly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/YGSOpkM.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/m9XzOgi.mp4

HYRULE BELONGS TO THE HYLIANS

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 25, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

HYLIA BELONGS TO THE HYLIANS

Hylia? The goddess?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hylia? The goddess?

The last thing we need is for those lesser races to start worshiping our goddess!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Wow reported for egregious abuse of cuties

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And I will forever be annoyed by that unclaimed glowy thing above Link's head when he drops the rock on the korok.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Should I have just gotten like 30 Patreon emails from you? I can't check them at the moment (nor should I be on SA) but I thought I'd ask.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Ometeotl posted:

Should I have just gotten like 30 Patreon emails from you? I can't check them at the moment (nor should I be on SA) but I thought I'd ask.

Sorry about that. I've been inconsistent in setting the videos public on there, so I had to catch up. There's nothing new in those emails except a mention that I'm drawing now.

Added to the OP, you monster.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 25, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the old man's camps around the grand plateau are kind of a quiet tutorial in the arts that sustain life.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm not seeing much arson. There's some gratuitous bokocide, yes, and you're beating the crap out of adorable treebabies, but I haven't seen any forests truly burn. Please fix, tia.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm not seeing much arson. There's some gratuitous bokocide, yes, and you're beating the crap out of adorable treebabies, but I haven't seen any forests truly burn. Please fix, tia.

Can... Can you burn it all down?

:getin:

I don't think I'm likely to buy a switch, but this game is seriously neat. Being able to screw around is loads of fun, even assuming Nintendo doesn't allow you to deforest large swathes of terrain.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I get the Mistborn reference. Too bad it doesn't quite work the same, that'd be interesting to see.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Added to the OP, you monster.

I did not commit the sins, I merely documented them so as to bring them before the court.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Ah yes! Just got back from being overseas and see this posted; I've been waiting for this thread. I don't foresee me being able to access this game anytime soon (no WiiU or Switch, atm) so I'll be enjoying this vicariously through ThornBrain enterprises, Inc, LLC (a subsidiary of TSHN, Ltd.).

This game is gorgeous but I do feel it looks a little too washed out. I like the return to the coloring style from WW (and SS, kinda) but a little contrast couldn't hurt anyone, could it?

(This being my only gripe about this game so far speaks volumes because I usually despise the opening grind to most Zelda games).

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I do like that, inside the first hour or two of play, you can reasonably have every basic tool you will need throughout the rest of the game. Once you're off the plateau, that's it. The literal entire game world is opened up to you, there is no place inaccessible or blocked off for later or requiring this, that, or the other key item to explore. You have everything you're gonna need.

EDIT: Which is not to say this game doesn't have other, more interesting and insidious ways of gating content, such as interesting puzzles or just monsters that'll kick your rear end eight ways from Sunday.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

MeccaPrime posted:

This game is gorgeous but I do feel it looks a little too washed out. I like the return to the coloring style from WW (and SS, kinda) but a little contrast couldn't hurt anyone, could it?

I agree with that. Sadly it's what Nintendo thinks next-gen looks like. And this is after I indeed increased the contrast of the footage for the videos.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are the Sheikah and Hylians different species or different cultures?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's more like Hylians are Europeans, Gerudo are Arabic/African, and Shiekah are Asians. I think they're all different races of the same species (which would be essentially humans). The Zoras, Gorons, Rito, and Koroks are the different species.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

ThornBrain posted:

I agree with that. Sadly it's what Nintendo thinks next-gen looks like. And this is after I indeed increased the contrast of the footage for the videos.

So you've already boosted the contrast and this is what we have? Jesus Christ..

(This isn't a slight on you, definitely the game)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't really get this objection?

Nintendo deliberately went with an art style that uses slightly muted colours and has this ethereal haze over everything. It's not "too washed out", it's exactly how the art team wanted it to look. (Not for nothing, the literal art style that inspired the game's look is based on the notion that painters would paint the outdoors the way the outdoors actually looked to humans when they actually went outside rather than according to some preconceived notion of how anything "should" look freed from the confines of our pathetic human eyeballs and the inconveniences of nature.) Saying that BotW is too washed out is approximately as valid an objection as saying Wind Waker is too cartoony.

Here are what Wikipedia tells me are some exemplars of the plein air form, one hyperreal, one more stylized:

Maybe some given human doesn't like muted colours very much, which, y'know, whatever, tastes and all that.

Here is a screenshot from The Witness, from which BotW stole the all-time crown for Best Videogame Grass and which could also be accurately described as "painterly" but gives not the first gently caress about realism and goes straight for idealism;

If BotW is "too washed out", then The Witness is also "too saturated". Or possibly both of these objections are bananas and both games look exactly as their creators intended them to look. If we're not going to take creators at their word on these things we might as well just enable all of the poo poo on our TVs that "corrects" images for us so we get our recommended hourly dose of saturated colour.

I sound bitter about this but really I'm just mystified at the notion that there can't be a saturated style that is good and a muted style that is also good, and that neither need resemble the other.

Breath of the Wild looks really good.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 26, 2017

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I agree that it looks good overall. It was mainly a minor complaint that got blown up.

Tastes are different and all etc...

edit to clarify; I also agree that the games definitely look as intended. They got what they were going for, I'm just not a huge fan of one very minor part.

MeccaPrime fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 26, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Link goes thru excruciating pain while getting dissolved for teleporting reasons. The fresh copy of Link on the other end has no recollection of this.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Calamity Ganon is really just the collected, manifested fury of all the dead teleported Links, haunting Hyrule out of rage against the Sheikah for inventing such horror

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I am now going to take this knowledge and teleport from one end of Hyrule to the other. Repeatedly.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hedrigall posted:

Calamity Ganon is really just the collected, manifested fury of all the dead teleported Links, haunting Hyrule out of rage against the Sheikah for inventing such horror
Those teleports take longer than you think!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Teledahn posted:

Can... Can you burn it all down?

:getin:

This gif exists for a reason:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We collect the last two runes, plus a nice jacket the hard way. By being spicy. :kimchi:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 1, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bombs most certainly do hurt you with their explosions. I have managed to Bomberman myself once or twice. It's especially easy on the Plateau, where your best armor is still paper-thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Here's a fun one: Try bombing yourself by accident and the resultant shockwave throwing you from the plateau, the damage from that being what kills you.

• Locked thread