Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Before you start another run, go and beat Omega and Shinryu. You have an amazing opportunity with your current team.

Omega is totally helpless if you have your bard constantly playing romeo's ballad.

For Shinryu, start with everyone equipped with coral rings. Bard is on speed song duty, then hero's song afterwards. Chemist, and monk with !mix, throws out a ton of defensive mixes. the lightning and fire absorption mixes, haste mix, dragon's kiss on everyone. By then you'll be immune to everything shinryu can do and you just beat him down.

Chemist can also use their beserk mix on shinryu if you want, but that makes him do only melee attacks, and he's strong.

I didn't have coral rings and I tried Omega a couple times (and got wiped out by him acting multiple times super fast, even with Stop Song) and I decided I'd rather just start a new run than put the time and effort into those

went chaos, got first Time Mage/Samurai/Summoner/Beastmaster

4x time mage was REAL loving SLOW AND BORING THO until karnak. Then I had summoner and thus my first source of magical damage EVER which was AMAZING.

I stopped playing for the day at the tail end of world 1 just after rolling beastmaster and realizing that now i have another complicated class to introduce myself to this run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Chemist can berserk and blind Shinryu trivially, at which point the fight is over. Bacchus and Dark Sigh.

Gravity works on non heavy bosses. This includes Liquid Flame and Byblos. Haste and Slow are really, really good. Time Mages rock.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

derra posted:

Gravity works on non heavy bosses. This includes Liquid Flame and Byblos. Haste and Slow are really, really good. Time Mages rock.

Oh it wasn't hard, Haste + Slow is amazing and they can use the Healing Staff so its like having a white mage along too. Every encounter just took so long. Liquiflame's after karnak even so that took just a couple of turns

derra
Dec 29, 2012

UberJew posted:

Oh it wasn't hard, Haste + Slow is amazing and they can use the Healing Staff so its like having a white mage along too. Every encounter just took so long. Liquiflame's after karnak even so that took just a couple of turns

Fiesta mod? I don't run that and it doesn't take Freelancers a lot of time to get to Karnak (and I just run from everything along the way).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

derra posted:

Fiesta mod? I don't run that and it doesn't take Freelancers a lot of time to get to Karnak (and I just run from everything along the way).

i'm not using the fiesta mod it just means I was freelancers until water and then 4x time mage until fire and then i got both samurai and beastmaster with earth :v:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Black/Time/Ninja/????

God I forgot how good black magic is in world 1. That and some black6 enhanced scrolls have made things such a breeze that I've yet to feel like I've really utilized time magic. I'm excited that my classes are so balanced across early/mid/late even without my fourth class so far.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

derra posted:

Mystic Knight is enough to Triple Crown, but by itself it's not too pretty. A berserk source for Shinryu is more vital here than disable for Omega IMO. There are missable things in W1 but none of them are vital. Probably the most important thing is a song from Lix if you get a Bard (and get Romeos in that other town in the NW corner while you're at it). I always get the Ribbon, Main Gauche and the Elven Cloak from the castle escape sequence, but with a MK once again not strictly necessary.

The best equipment in this game is generally farmable, purchasable or is found at the end of the game and not permanently missable.

Post again when you have your final party and I can give better feedback.

So.. uhm : Thief, Mystic Knight, Ninja and Samurai :downs: That feels very lukewarm.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

ultrafilter posted:

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs. No upper limit, but that's every goon, not every run.

Triple crowned with Knight/Thief/Red Mage/Summoner

Also did the butt incentive:

b

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Man, the infopost in the Discord channel is the best thing. Used a memory map link to get rid of Exdeath's status immunities and threw a Dud Potion in his stupid face.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

a memory map link

pardon?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Like a list of memory addresses and what the values they contain might mean. I think there's another term for it? Basically, cheat codes. Oddly cathartic.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Got Chemist as my earth job so I pretty much had to triple crown, but it still feels good.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

StarMinstrel posted:

So.. uhm : Thief, Mystic Knight, Ninja and Samurai :downs: That feels very lukewarm.

Not much to worry about *missing* with that team, but it's certainly not the easiest to Triple Crown with (but still reasonably possible):

1) You have no way to disable Omega, so you have to fight him through his attack routine. Chicken Knife Thundaga Sword halves his evasion so you have a 53% chance to hit and will do max damage.
2) Fortunately, you have Thief, so you can grab the Genji Helm as well as the armor. Both block Confusion. So, make sure you trigger the Gilgamesh fight in Exdeath's Castle, and steal the Helm from him there, then steal the armor from him in the Necrophobe fight. Use the "Status immunities last one more battle than they are supposed to" bug to get confuse immunity on your whole team when you go up against Omega.
3) You will need levels and elixirs to beat him. Come with float pre--cast (confuse Poison Eagles with the Dancing Dagger and give them an Ether). Aegis Shields on your shield users, attack after Wave Cannon, hope your MK doesn't get hit with Encircle. Sometimes you will instantly die from Atomic Ray, that's Omega!
4) For Shinryu you're going to need Coral Rings, unfortunately, and to kill him "normally". At least the Masamune katana casts Haste when used in battle, so you have access to that.
5) Once again, higher level is better but not divisible by 2 or 3, you will need elixirs. Not sure if Ice Shields or Aegis are preferred here; I rarely have had to fight him without berserk, reflecting zombies or massive damage (Dragon Lance, Apollo Harp).

Just about any other potential roadblock boss can be dealt with by a MK sword or by tossing more money at it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Hermes Sandals grind is going well!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ultrafilter posted:

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs.

Black Mage / Red Mage / Summoner / Dancer

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

Dancer suffers pretty heavily from lack of access to the Chicken Knife, but the other classes were thankfully strong enough to compensate.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

derra posted:

Not much to worry about *missing* with that team, but it's certainly not the easiest to Triple Crown with (but still reasonably possible):

1) You have no way to disable Omega, so you have to fight him through his attack routine. Chicken Knife Thundaga Sword halves his evasion so you have a 53% chance to hit and will do max damage.
2) Fortunately, you have Thief, so you can grab the Genji Helm as well as the armor. Both block Confusion. So, make sure you trigger the Gilgamesh fight in Exdeath's Castle, and steal the Helm from him there, then steal the armor from him in the Necrophobe fight. Use the "Status immunities last one more battle than they are supposed to" bug to get confuse immunity on your whole team when you go up against Omega.
3) You will need levels and elixirs to beat him. Come with float pre--cast (confuse Poison Eagles with the Dancing Dagger and give them an Ether). Aegis Shields on your shield users, attack after Wave Cannon, hope your MK doesn't get hit with Encircle. Sometimes you will instantly die from Atomic Ray, that's Omega!
4) For Shinryu you're going to need Coral Rings, unfortunately, and to kill him "normally". At least the Masamune katana casts Haste when used in battle, so you have access to that.
5) Once again, higher level is better but not divisible by 2 or 3, you will need elixirs. Not sure if Ice Shields or Aegis are preferred here; I rarely have had to fight him without berserk, reflecting zombies or massive damage (Dragon Lance, Apollo Harp).

Just about any other potential roadblock boss can be dealt with by a MK sword or by tossing more money at it.

Thank a lot for this info post. So far I feel what's going to be hard is the lack of heals. Unless there is a nice place to farm for elixirs at some point. The floating palace was kind enough with them.

Also wow did the game take a new direction once you enter the second world. I hope it keeps up the ante.

Is the Gilgamesh fight later or was it the one before freeing the crew? Fought him once and pretty sure I stole something from him successfully last night, but can't remember what it was. I do it to every bosses. Force of habit from FFIX.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Oh and about the chicken knife: it's 255 run/flee/escape to get it to max correct? Can you go over that number and is there a way to view the amount of times you ran? If yes and no I'll just start counting now.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

StarMinstrel posted:

Oh and about the chicken knife: it's 255 run/flee/escape to get it to max correct? Can you go over that number and is there a way to view the amount of times you ran? If yes and no I'll just start counting now.

There's no maximum that I've found. If I have a Thief, I just set them up with Flee at the Beginners' Room monster chest and let them do their thing for a while.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Triple crowned with Knight/Thief/Red Mage/Summoner

Samuel Clemens posted:

Black Mage / Red Mage / Summoner / Dancer

Two more.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Black/Time/Ninja/????

God I forgot how good black magic is in world 1. That and some black6 enhanced scrolls have made things such a breeze that I've yet to feel like I've really utilized time magic. I'm excited that my classes are so balanced across early/mid/late even without my fourth class so far.

4th job is chemist :toot:
Guess I'll have to see if I can triple crown.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Nasgate posted:

4th job is chemist :toot:
Guess I'll have to see if I can triple crown.

You have a time mage. You can do it effortlessly, unless you're on mobile or Steam.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

It maxes out at 127 attack, I think. One attack per run.

I could be wrong about all that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doom Goon posted:

Like a list of memory addresses and what the values they contain might mean. I think there's another term for it? Basically, cheat codes. Oddly cathartic.

Hex editing is the term I see used for it.

Edit: the chicken knife gains 1 attack foir every two flees, to a max of 127 (255 escapes). The brave blade loses one attack for every flee.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 25, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Maleketh posted:

You have a time mage. You can do it effortlessly, unless you're on mobile or Steam.

Yeah I'm on mobile. I figure between chemists and times longevity and Black Mages damage output. I should be able to do it even without quick leak. Ninja will be a nice speedy chassis for !mix

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It maxes out at 127 attack, I think. One attack per run.

I could be wrong about all that.

One attack for every two successful flees, I believe

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

agradine posted:

One attack for every two successful flees, I believe

Yes. The formula is (number of flees)/2, but since FFV does everything in integer arithmetic, the fractional part gets lost.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

StarMinstrel posted:

Thank a lot for this info post. So far I feel what's going to be hard is the lack of heals. Unless there is a nice place to farm for elixirs at some point. The floating palace was kind enough with them.

the ronka ruins section of the rift is steps away from the free healing in phantom village, decent late game exp, and drops elixers

derra
Dec 29, 2012

fits posted:

the ronka ruins section of the rift is steps away from the free healing in phantom village, decent late game exp, and drops elixers

This, but farm in the room with all the elevators, one more room away from the Healing pot. Then you don't get the Roulette guys.

The Gilgamesh castle fight I'm referring to is an optional fight at the end of W2. You trigger it by opening a chest that will be empty and the fight begins shortly afterwards. If you are fighting Exdeath in his castle and haven't triggered it you've gone too far, but probably 99% of the time first-time players are going to open that chest as it's on the path.

I've never overflowed the Chicken Knife, if it's even possible. That would be a LOT of running.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Geomancer/Black Mage/Red Mage/Freelancer, getting towards the end of the game. I think I have a plan to beat Shinryu, but for Omega, my options are essentially limited to "Reflect Thundaga and pray," right?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Novasol posted:

Geomancer/Black Mage/Red Mage/Freelancer, getting towards the end of the game. I think I have a plan to beat Shinryu, but for Omega, my options are essentially limited to "Reflect Thundaga and pray," right?

I'm sure freelancer will help with some item usage that one of the more veteran posters can point out. If you are using the SNES version make sure to only reflect 3 party members so you don't trigger counters.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Reflected Thundaga does a lot of damage though, and no counters.

The obvious Freelancer use is the Masamune to reflect Haste back on your party. Wonder Wand Shell also exists. The no counter strat works on GBA as well, last person should have Diamond gear on to halve the damage.

The Dark Bow exists and helps a lot on Shinryu and the physical part of NED.

derra fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 25, 2017

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

I win.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, screw it. :toxx: Everyone who clears the game with the name "a butt" will trigger a 2 dollar donation from me, up to a maximum of 70 bucks(it'd be more but the exchange rate is murder).

I also just donated :10bux: to add some zerkers to the pool. :getin:

Another triple butt for the butt pile:

Popular run gave me chemist, ninja, dragoon, and redmage. An automatic triple crown with Chemist, but Omega still took a bit of effort to work around wave cannon.

Maybe I'll try a no750 brave blade run next.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Mystic Ber/Ser/Ker complete.

I way overleveled, but watching NED dummy targets eat everything and Can't Flee procs eat everything else kinda necessitated that.

Rebelle Winter
Jun 21, 2015
I drew Beastmaster with my last crystal so I can hold down Omega, but my other jobs are Samurai, Dancer, and Thief so I'm not sure if I actually have a way to kill him.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Byblos is my first real hurdle in this round: thief / berserker / ranger (later)/ ?.

Getting him down to low health isn't too hard, but then even 3 lvl 20 Berserkers with mage mashers can't damage him faster than he drains. If I keep retrying I might have better luck with discord eventually.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm getting stuck on the top of Fork Tower with my party, not sure how to split them up and what to do to get past the Minotaur. My party is Bard/Mystic/White/Red. I sent my Bard and Red to the physical tower thinking I can just Mystic Silence blade rugwizard to death. Should I send all the other three over to physical then? They're all lv 38-39 so I don't think I'm underleveled, but the Minotaur is beating them down pretty quickly and I can't keep up with Hi Potions.

Edit: White mage on Healing Staff bopping duty, and Red/Bard attacking with some lucky Elven Mantle dodges and I got past the Minotaur eventually. Mystic soloed the wizard. Not the most elegant of solutions, but it did the trick.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 26, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Rebelle Winter posted:

I drew Beastmaster with my last crystal so I can hold down Omega, but my other jobs are Samurai, Dancer, and Thief so I'm not sure if I actually have a way to kill him.

Chicken Knife Sword Dance is your best bet.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Chicken Knife Swords Dance and !Dance with the Murokumo. Beastmaster and thief are on calm duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm getting stuck on the top of Fork Tower with my party, not sure how to split them up and what to do to get past the Minotaur. My party is Bard/Mystic/White/Red. I sent my Bard and Red to the physical tower thinking I can just Mystic Silence blade rugwizard to death. Should I send all the other three over to physical then? They're all lv 38-39 so I don't think I'm underleveled, but the Minotaur is beating them down pretty quickly and I can't keep up with Hi Potions.

Yeah, the MK can solo Omni without breaking a sweat so send everybody else to Minotaur. Give them all Sing, Main Gauches, and Elf Mantles, put them in the back row, and set two of them to Swift Song. Let the third heal, maybe with Hermes Sandals so he can keep up. He's not real fast and the real problem is counters, so you can keep up if you don't hit him. Once you're max speed, Strength Song to max, then switch to the CK and hit him with it (with the other two healing after counters) until he dies.

• Locked thread