Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Altera is actually pretty drat great. I hope we get more for Extella 2: Revenge of the Monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should add Odysseus and have him be basically a ripoff of Euzeth Gozzo.

それも私だ!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Have to say, looking forward to getting my first Artoria tomorrow. She may be the crummiest Artoria, but Artoria will always be Artoria to me: endlessly valuable, and Lily is singularly cute.

And no, none of that "Altria" rubbish for me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Artoria Lily is still worth more than MHXA, so you can take solace in that

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Finished Fate/EXTRA CCC just in time to get ready for FGO's English release.

Positives:
  • Much more interesting and well-integrated plot than the first game - which, let's be fair, was basically just "beat these eight guys and the game ends".
  • Dungeons have some amount of purpose rather than feeling like obligatory padding.
  • Some characters that were glossed over in the first game get decent development in this one, particularly Leo, Gatou and Shinji(Extra).
  • Plot leans much more heavily into the simulation/AI/spirit hacking aspects of the setting.
  • You can escape from battles now.
  • Caster now solves all of her problems by divekicking them in the face.
  • Game also contains a reference to Divekick.
Negatives:
  • Oh god.
  • Oh god.
  • Whatever you've heard the reality is so much worse.
  • The character designs are just the tip of a massive hosed up iceberg.
  • The font of exploitative and messed up content is neverending. If the PSP had a touchscreen this game would be making terrible, terrible use of it.
  • Also stats are now assigned automatically on level up so there's no freedom to make terrible broken builds. Shame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the character designs and sexuality in f/e ccc are incredibly interesting and the best thing nasu's ever written. im glad he decided to make an actual point. mentioning sex isn't 'exploitative.'

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

[*]Game also contains a reference to Divekick.

A japanese game released in March 2013 managed to reference an american indie game released in August 2013?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

A japanese game released in March 2013 managed to reference an american indie game released in August 2013?

It makes sense because the game's set in 2030.

Divekick had already been a thing for a few years before its official release date.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My dude do you think a divekick was invented by that game? Are you not aware that was something being done in Kamen rider forever before that which is what it's actually a reference to?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

My dude do you think a divekick was invented by that game? Are you not aware that was something being done in Kamen rider forever before that which is what it's actually a reference to?

To clarify: the divekicks themselves are not the reference. The reference is the NEET character playing and talking about a fighting game with only two moves, only two buttons and only two characters who are colour swaps of each other. It could be an unrelated coincidence but the timing works out to when Divekick was getting a lot of visibility in the gaming community. :shrug:

Mostly I just wanted something to fill out the positives column since it's slim pickings. I guess the new heroic spirits are okay but since all three of them have been in FGO for years now they don't really count as new any more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a reference to the first Street Fighter which has all of those features and was infamous for the two pressure sensitive buttons the arcade cabinets had. I can guarantee you that Japan remembers this more than the American fighting game that was only brought to and given press in American tournaments and never had any Japanese publicity.

Not that I'm trying to poo poo on you or anything, sorry if it comes off that way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The funny thing is this is the thing I'm taking issue with because I agree a lot that the Sakura designs kinda suck in CCC even though I grew to like them a lot more in FGO and I get the purpose of them being that way in CCC.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Could well be OG street Fighter, yeah; I can believe I might have missed some nuance in the context.

Captain Baal posted:

The funny thing is this is the thing I'm taking issue with because I agree a lot that the Sakura designs kinda suck in CCC even though I grew to like them a lot more in FGO and I get the purpose of them being that way in CCC.

Even if you read it generously, though, for every fetishistic aspect of CCC that has an interesting and well thought out reason for it there are three more that are completely gratuitous. It just feels wearying and it seems so unnecessary since the game does have much less exploitative vignettes (like Jinako and Karna's relationship) that tie into its themes just as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
how gratuitous they are is the point.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I do like that the Sakura clones' designs can all just be chalked up to Moon A.I. Puberty and body issues

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I played the PSP Extra and just could not enjoy the combat system at all and found the Moon Cell school a very boring setting compared to Fate-proper, so I gave up on that sub-franchise. Sexuality is a super-interesting topic but one that games rarely do well, and while I'd trust Nasu to approach it better than most god drat that is an uphill battle.

like don't get me wrong I play Puzzle and Dragon so glass houses and stones etc, but some of these servants are a level beyond :v:

edit:

Ashsaber posted:

I do like that the Sakura clones' designs can all just be chalked up to Moon A.I. Puberty and body issues
Is that one of her story beats in Extra/CCC? Sounds legit.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 25, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The true sin of the CCC designs is that they're ugly not that they're booby

Of course I haven't played the game so maybe Endorph will come and tell me that the ugly outfits make a deep and meaningful point

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Meltlilith has good voice clips, sound effects, and a cool NP in FGO which is why I rolled for her.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Question about CCC.

Does the final boss of Extra play any important role in it? You know, to give him a bit more presence.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Twice is a secret boss in CCC with Tamamo as his servant. It explains that Tamamo was originally his servant before he become the dude who ran the Moon Cell when he was an NPC. He plays no actual role in the main story since CCC takes place on the far side of the Moon Cell where he has no real power and craziness just happens. It's the reason why Gil can be a playable servant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The true sin of the CCC designs is that they're ugly not that they're booby

Of course I haven't played the game so maybe Endorph will come and tell me that the ugly outfits make a deep and meaningful point
nice subtweet but again, they're meant to be super exaggerated. they represent the logical extremes of titty and butty designs. the game even points out several times over that melt and passionlip are kind of unappealing/exaggerated.

whole lotta dudes itt who loved a game where a teenage boy hosed a permanently 14-years-old version of king arthur getting mad because of huge bobbies.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Bigg Boobs ARE GOOD!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hey, I liked the game where the mentally unsound teenage kid had sex with the 800 year old vampire way more!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Freak Futanari posted:

Bigg Boobs ARE GOOD!

Gawain was right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Gawain was right
gawain did nothing wrong

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was thinking of bride saber more than the sakuras but I'd believe you if you told me that one was supposed to be unappealing too

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Nasu, when you will give us a properly appealing Burqa Saber

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Freak Futanari posted:

Bigg Boobs ARE GOOD!

Seconding this.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I was thinking of bride saber more than the sakuras but I'd believe you if you told me that one was supposed to be unappealing too

Fortunately CCC adds selectable servant costumes so you don't have to look at their bizarre new fashion choices for very long.

That said I don't mind Saber Bride's; it has a slight Kill Bill feeling to it that I kind of like. Caster's default CCC outfit is way more :what:.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

nah bride is just kinda a weird design

id go to bat for nero's default design but bride is just bad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

NRVNQSR posted:

Fortunately CCC adds selectable servant costumes so you don't have to look at their bizarre new fashion choices for very long.

That said I don't mind Saber Bride's; it has a slight Kill Bill feeling to it that I kind of like. Caster's default CCC outfit is way more :what:.

I didn't remember what that one looked like so I looked it up and I actually kinda like it. It's worse than her extra outfit but better than her transformed extella outfit

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NRVNQSR posted:

Finished Fate/EXTRA CCC just in time to get ready for FGO's English release.

Positives:
  • Much more interesting and well-integrated plot than the first game - which, let's be fair, was basically just "beat these eight guys and the game ends".
  • Dungeons have some amount of purpose rather than feeling like obligatory padding.
  • Some characters that were glossed over in the first game get decent development in this one, particularly Leo, Gatou and Shinji(Extra).
  • Plot leans much more heavily into the simulation/AI/spirit hacking aspects of the setting.
  • You can escape from battles now.
  • Caster now solves all of her problems by divekicking them in the face.
  • Game also contains a reference to Divekick.
Negatives:
  • Oh god.
  • Oh god.
  • Whatever you've heard the reality is so much worse.
  • The character designs are just the tip of a massive hosed up iceberg.
  • The font of exploitative and messed up content is neverending. If the PSP had a touchscreen this game would be making terrible, terrible use of it.
  • Also stats are now assigned automatically on level up so there's no freedom to make terrible broken builds. Shame.

Socially malajusted goon gets the heebie jeebies when he sees boobs

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I didn't remember what that one looked like so I looked it up and I actually kinda like it. It's worse than her extra outfit but better than her transformed extella outfit

My main problem with it is that the top half and the bottom half feel totally mismatched. Either half is fine on its own but taken together it feels really unbalanced.

Speaking of Extella, how is it? I've watched the first mission worth of cut scenes and they felt a bit dumb and pointless. Does the plot get good enough to justify playing a no-coop Dynasty Warriors clone?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
playing archer in a warriors game is fun, but the plot isn't great. elizabeth gets a decent amount to do and some good lines and tamamo gets to play a little more evil but nero gets kind of flanderized and altera is just the woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorst. same with archimedes. and the rest of the cast might as well not exist.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

altera is just the woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorst.

Nah, she's the best.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My favorite thing about Altera is how back and forth in her lovely character gimmick they want to be and then settle on making her a non-commital version of Sakura. Then Riyo writes an infinitely better version of her in his gag comic where she flies around randomly destroying things referring to them as good and bad civilizations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And then Nero's entire story is spent talking about how beautiful she is and making her out like she wants to gently caress her which is uuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

My favorite thing about Altera is how back and forth in her lovely character gimmick they want to be and then settle on making her a non-commital version of Sakura. Then Riyo writes an infinitely better version of her in his gag comic where she flies around randomly destroying things referring to them as good and bad civilizations.

riyo's gag comic altera is more interesting, likable, and deep than whatever the hell is going on with her in extella

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Feeling secure in my decision to never play Extella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Extella isn't that fun even as a plotless warriors game tbh, and the plot is bad. If you want able girls to mention how much they want to gently caress you every five lines it's good for that though