Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

There was some FPS on steam I can't remember the name of where you did nothing but punch weird lookin things, I remember the game looked kinda tribal or something.

Zeno Clash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

There was some FPS on steam I can't remember the name of where you did nothing but punch weird lookin things, I remember the game looked kinda tribal or something.

Zeno Clash. Apparently I played it for 60 minutes back in 2011

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah zeno clash, thanks! Couldn't remember the name.

Speaking of FPS games tho, anybody remember Urban Chaos: Riot Response?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PantsBandit posted:

I'm curious, what do people generally prefer when it comes to 3rd person vs 1st person? For me I prefer 1st in pretty much every case. 3rd person games are fine but I find myself less engaged with them in general. I guess it works for games like Uncharted where the main character is doing a lot of emoting though.

There are only a couple of genres that I think first person works well in, but when it works it really works.
I think the fact that a lot of people prefer third person games is a major hurdle to the success of VR.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuKMg-NCqgM

zeno clash 2 was cool cause it was about you and your straw hat sister going around the world beating the crap out of ancient golems, and the final boss was just you and the guy you were trying to find a way to beat up for the entire game teaming up to kill an even bigger golem jerk nobody liked. i hope they make zeno clash 3 some day

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 25, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oddium posted:

red steel

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah zeno clash, thanks! Couldn't remember the name.

Speaking of FPS games tho, anybody remember Urban Chaos: Riot Response?

Hell yeah I do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPYKhh5wgSs

Well, I'll be darned. I didn't realize this was by Rocksteady (Batman: Arkham Asylum et. al)

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 25, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Update on Birthdays: there are graphical settings, but only if you opt in to the beta, and they're not accesible using a controller

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I played through SUPERHOT yesterday since it came in a humble monthly at some point and the gimmick is pretty cool but boy is anything beyond that a bunch of ponderous poo poo it's the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

If you liked the gameplay itself make sure you fool around with the new gameplay modes that are unlocked after you beat it, it's the same maps with the narrative stripped out and different graphics and rules that completely change up how you play kind of like the masks in Hotline Miami; the first one is a katana-only mode where you move and attack way faster and the sword has a longer reach and the other ones you can unlock do things like having time stand absolutely still when you don't move but having bullets move faster, starting with the possession ability unlocked but not being able to use guns, or only being able to attack bare-handed but with punches being insta-kills.

Jay Rust posted:

Zeno Clash. Apparently I played it for 60 minutes back in 2011

I really liked the weird French comic book aesthetic (yes I know the studio is Chilean) it was going for but I tapped out after about an hour too because the hand-to-hand combat wasn't enough to make up for every level being a bunch of smallish arena fights against 1 to 3 bad guys with no real deeper strategy. I don't know if Zeno Clash 2 improved on it at all but if they had made actual levels or added some kind of character progression it would help a lot, maybe something like Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay where you have open hubs full of goals to achieve you see fit with some smaller sidequests and optional content to break up the straightforward action bits? I dunno.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://i.imgur.com/R5aGoVU.gifv

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Eggman no!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*honks angrily*

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wow it wasn't just the kirby covers eh?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

50 Cent Blood on the Sand sequel lookin good

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Really Pants posted:

50 Cent Blood on the Sand sequel lookin good

It's a prequel, the origin of the jewel encrusted skull.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/TrueGoatJesus/status/878394627195158528

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oof. RIP Dame Judi Dench

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Oof. RIP Dame Judi Dench

http://i.imgur.com/GAPDwgx.gifv

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh they really captured her eye tic really well. I don't know if she actually had one

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

she looks like she's saying "gameboy purchase"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

where have i heard that 2000 pages quote before? ...actually, san andreas

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Macaluso posted:

Glad to see this game still holds up :)

Just noticed the bedspread says heaven, haha.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I prefer first-person for shooting games that require more twitch reaction time, third-person for ones that are slower paced (think RE4). Generally I only like shooters in first-person overall unless they control like Max Payne 3 (which none of them do). Anything that's not a shooter or exploration based is better in third person for me I think.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ben Cooke, Master of Diamonds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I think either can work although I've yet to play an FPS that really mastered melee combat.

Dying Light had really good first-person melee

Jay Rust posted:

What's June's GotM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOvxARtxqkw

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CJacobs posted:

Personally I prefer first-person for shooting games that require more twitch reaction time, third-person for ones that are slower paced (think RE4). Generally I only like shooters in first-person overall unless they control like Max Payne 3 (which none of them do). Anything that's not a shooter or exploration based is better in third person for me I think.

RDR plays well but it's pretty much a MP3 prototype. I think the only other shooter that plays in well third person is Red Faction Guerrilla and that's because of the sledgehammer and jetpack.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tap my mountain posted:

RDR plays well but it's pretty much a MP3 prototype. I think the only other shooter that plays in well third person is Red Faction Guerrilla and that's because of the sledgehammer and jetpack.

GTA 5 supposedly added an alt "Third Person Shooter" control scheme that makes it control like San Andreas and thus closer to Max Payne, but the game is like 50GB so I can't be bothered to confirm if that's true or not.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BONDWAVE- Mixtape Vol. 007 (1:35:22)

Motto posted:

*honks angrily*

Japan➡️America = give it angry eyes
America➡️Japan = give it anime eyes and tits, get rid of black people

On one hand, David Cage putting out a "what if the humans are bad and the robots are good? :thunk:" game in the same year that Nier 2 came out is laughable.

On the other hand, that guy who wants to gently caress the baby goat from Undertale so bad he built his entire online persona around it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CJacobs posted:

GTA 5 supposedly added an alt "Third Person Shooter" control scheme that makes it control like San Andreas and thus closer to Max Payne, but the game is like 50GB so I can't be bothered to confirm if that's true or not.

It's garbage, Rockstar North didn't bother emulating their control scheme correctly and it is hugely flawed as a result. Most notably if you zoom in your reticle moves with the camera which is a massive oversight.

It makes sense since Rockstar North bring in all the money so they assume they know what they're doing and that's why their control systems are stuck in the early 2000s

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

To be fair, no one translating this game knew what a backyard was.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I say we create an actual david cage to lock him up

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I made the stinky flower (and got an achievement for it)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tap my mountain posted:

It's garbage, Rockstar North didn't bother emulating their control scheme correctly and it is hugely flawed as a result. Most notably if you zoom in your reticle moves with the camera which is a massive oversight.

It makes sense since Rockstar North bring in all the money so they assume they know what they're doing and that's why their control systems are stuck in the early 2000s

:smith: Bummer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have never really enjoyed any of the GTA games. Vice City was a semi-exception because I dug the milieu and owning a mansion was rad.

But Bully is better than all of them. I wish Kevin were back for real, Jack

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have never really enjoyed any of the GTA games. Vice City was a semi-exception because I dug the milieu and owning a mansion was rad.

But Bully is better than all of them. I wish Kevin were back for real, Jack

I'm probably engaging in narrative fallacy but I feel like the split that happened post-PS2 where David Jones left Rockstar to found Realtime Worlds does a lot to explain why people who loved the older GTAs aren't as keen on the new ones. They basically bisected their creative team so on one hand you have Crackdown which is a cartoony sandbox experience that gives you good arcadey set of verbs with lots of toys and ways to cause havoc but has no real narrative or mission structure and you can blast through the game in an afternoon, and on the other you have GTA where they focus on a more grounded cinematic narrative and massive amounts of Content but the actual core gameplay doesn't have a lot of depth or variety and there's tons of padding and downtime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the japanese boxart for ratchet & clank owns, and you can't really fault all japanese boxart for going from stuff like

this to loving this

the crackdown one is a weird change tho yeah, and a lot of those examples are pretty bad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This motherfucker scam artist charging me 2000 gil for a chocobo lure I hope the Midgar Zolom leaps out of the swamp and destroys your barn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That era's box art was all reparations for American box art of Japanese games from the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the japanese boxart for ratchet: deadlocked is a dirty loving lie cause it implies that clank gets to do anything in ratchet: deadlocked

• Locked thread