Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blockhouse posted:

Feeling secure in my decision to never play Extella

Wait for the sequel where the game actually does something with its cast other than fellate two of the three main cast members and have lovely technobabble that is i engaging even as far as typically nasu technobabble goes. The game itself is alright for a first game and could use an iteration or two before it figures out an identity for itself, but as it stands the game on its own is not really that good, but I absolutely do recommend the story mode if you have issues sleeping.

Tamamo is the only one of the playable character's whose story makes sense and isn't filled to the brim with lovely wordy jargon and has an ending that actually feels satisfying and true to the character. The game of course shows her no respect after this because it's too busy making Nero it's golden child of the Extra games, but hey at least one route of the game wasn't endlessly awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I stopped playing after tamamo's route and I don't regret it

I think 2/3 of extella is enough for one lifetime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

of course tamamo's story might be the best written but it's also the one where you have to play as tammo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's utterly ridiculous to me that not only do you need specific equipment to change characters mid combat but it's set to specific ones who are infinitely better than the main characters. Also your levels don't transfer on those characters to their personal stories, because loving of course they don't.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Feeling secure in my decision to never play Extella

You have chosen wisely

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id say nero and emiya are about as good as each other but karna blows tamamo out of the water and gilgamesh is great while atilla is eh

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Endorph posted:

of course tamamo's story might be the best written but it's also the one where you have to play as tammo

How is that a bad thing? Tamamo is the best character in Extella.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She plays like butt in extella

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Tamamo's arc was so bad, and her gameplay so unfun, that i still haven't picked up Extella again after taking a break like one third through her route

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The first third is setup for character stuff that does pay off but I wouldn't blame you for thinking it wouldn't when Hakuno's response is "that's my Tamamo! Oh that wacky Tamamo :downs:"

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Altera is okay, but she's overshadowed by many of the 5-star Sabers that got released after her. She doesn't bring a lot in the way of team support to the table, and her personal skills are merely so-so. Her main draw is having a really high attack even amongst 5-star Sabers, but unfortunately they also coupled that to an AoE NP.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It says a lot that Extella is not great because it just focuses on badly written Nero and Altera when there's literally other characters I'd wanna hang out more (Iskander, Medusa, Cu, Karna...)

Compendium fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 25, 2017

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Captain Baal posted:

She plays like butt in extella

Freak Futanari posted:

Tamamo's arc was so bad, and her gameplay so unfun, that i still haven't picked up Extella again after taking a break like one third through her route

I had more fun playing as Tamamo than I did playing as literally any other character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry to hear that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah Tamamo's gameplay seemed fine I don't see the issue

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of her moves root her in place, don't have a lot of aoe which is pretty necessary for a game with as many enemies surrounding you as it does, and she's pretty slow moving compared to most of the characters in the cast. Not that the game is hard enough for most of this to ever become an issue since the entire game is a string of the same missions constantly that don't break up the pace well at all.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I think what really killed Extella for me is that every single mission felt like it lasted twice as long as it should

Like you reached a point where you thought, okay, this mission can end now, and then it keeps going for ten more minutes

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Has anyone read Apocrypha and how well does it fare for the series if the anime is following that plot? Fourteen servants plus associated masters and supporting ensemble seems a hell of a cast, even if we assume most of them are gonna be cannon fodder.

Hopefully if they are just animating everything we get Strange/Fake at some point because that setting fuckin' rules.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The general consensus is it starts off fine, but then dramatically worsens as the plot focuses on a fairly uninteresting set of characters. One of the stated goals of Apocrypha was to sorta combine all three routes of F/SN, so you see familiar plot beats (arguably even characters concepts) all over. Whether or not this is a good thing is up to you.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The translation of the LN is not really good, the manga's been pretty decent so far though. Astolfo steals the show for me. It doesn't really have the emotional punches that FSN, Fate/Extra, or even FGO has since so far it's just kind of a straight up shounen battle manga.

I will say that Mordred and Kairi are a surprisingly good Master-Servant pair and it kind of goes to show how awkwardly written her character was in the London FGO chapter. She hasn't really grown on me either way, but I think having an interesting character like Kairi to bounce off of helps her out a lot.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope one day a real fate game comes out and the words are also in english

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

even if its just an expanded version of assault on ilyas castles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

i hope one day a real fate game comes out and the words are also in english
im not sure what makes fate/extra or fate/extella not real fate games

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i forgot extra had an english translation....

also to put the word good in there

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
With all the VNs on steam these days I'm kinda surprised an official release of realta nua hasn't materialized

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

With all the VNs on steam these days I'm kinda surprised an official release of realta nua hasn't materialized

Isn't there something about Type-Moon demanding incredibly stupid licensing fees from anyone interested in officially localizing it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair with how insanely successful fate is in japan it's hard to fault them for charging a lot, but it is weird that they're apparently charging fairly normal fees for stuff like extra or extella but then playing hardball with f/sn.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Man, I'd buy the poo poo out of a F/SN Realta Nua version if it was on Steam as well as Witch on the Holy Night. I already have Tsukihime, Kagetsu Tohya, and Hollow/ataraxia on my PC :V

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was mahoyo good

I assumed it must have been a (relative) flop because I didn't hear anything about it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Last I heard people who played it said it has some interesting pieces, but is overall pretty boring and underwhelming especially when it was about a character with as much stuff surrounding her as Aoko.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haven't played CCC yet, but from all I've read about it I feel like I'd like Melt and Lip's characters if I never actually saw them. Their visual designs are dumb.

Kiara I think is an interesting and effective villain, though, and her visual design is a lot less dumb. Wish I'd gotten her in FGO.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Kiara a lot actually, but my desire for Meltout Sarasvati and Melt sound effects won over the Sex Nun

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Haven't read CCC, but Mahoyo is the best thing Nasu has written that I've read. It really raises the standard for visual novels in general imo, on an artistic and technical level.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I haven't read CCC and I didn't know much about the Sakuras, but they all won me over during the CCC event.

Getting Melt with a summoning ticket helped too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The F/GO characterization of the Alter Egos is explicitly post-CCC, where they all got some pretty brutal reality checks cashed. Melt in particular had even more stuff happen to her offscreen, so she's an almost entirely different person now.

So if CCC ever does get translated, I imagine a lot of people are going to be pretty shocked at their original characterizations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

Haven't played CCC yet, but from all I've read about it I feel like I'd like Melt and Lip's characters if I never actually saw them. Their visual designs are dumb.

Kiara I think is an interesting and effective villain, though, and her visual design is a lot less dumb. Wish I'd gotten her in FGO.

Melt and Kiara are both pretty cool, but Passionlip is...not so much. I mean, she works well as a character who both looks and acts extremely creepy, but there isn't a whole lot of depth to her character.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Was mahoyo good

I assumed it must have been a (relative) flop because I didn't hear anything about it

Mahoyo has the following structure:
1) Almost Slice of Life
2) Crazy stuff
3) Almost Slice of Life
4) Crazy stuff

The story is way shorter than FSN and way, way simpler.
I suppose is fitting, as it's just the first third of the whole story.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is blade works anime as depressing as fate zero? Should probably rewatch it before I start but that poo poo sad.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Blade work is by the original author, and it's more chill and less sad. The guy who wrote zero is famous for writing super sad stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Hot take but I enjoyed UBW way more than Fate/Zero. It also helps that it was my favorite route in the VN as well.