Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I recently got a elgato game capture HD which let me finally set my PS2 back up and on top of that, I can stream right from the console instead of having to emulate games I already own just get to them playing on my monitor. I also wasn't really playing anything on new consoles at the moment so I bought a grip of PS2 classics I've been meaning to play and I'm going to stream a crap ton over the next month while I run through them. My stash so far:

Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
MGS 1-3 (metal gear July crossover, I've never played these games original hardware and now I can check out the stuff missing from HD ports like the Ape Escape and Skateboarding crossovers)
Ace Combat 4
Ace Combat 5
Silent Hill 2

and more as people give recs. I've played a fair amount of classics on PS3/vita in the years since but please let me know of good relatively short games I can pick up and play this summer. I'm also going to pick up a SMT game, I've played Persona 3/4 and nocturne but I wanna check out a DDS or devil summoner . I also kinda wanna play Jak and Daxter, my friend had it and I played it frequently but never owned it myself. It seemed cool. Oh and maybe I'll finally try some crash bandicoot games...

Let the summer of classic gaming begin!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are good as hell and often criminally overlooked imo. Definitely don't miss them.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jak and Daxter is great, but really pretty easy, still worth checking out. Jak 2 and 3 are more challenging, but they're kinda inconsistent with their difficulty; they've got some very cool stuff going for them though and the world is very interesting to run around in.

Along the lines of mascot platformers is Ratchet and Clank. 1 is super difficult at this point and its age is showing, but 2 is good and 3 might be one of the best ps2 games ever.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Digital Devil Saga

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

Jak and Daxter is great, but really pretty easy, still worth checking out. Jak 2 and 3 are more challenging, but they're kinda inconsistent with their difficulty; they've got some very cool stuff going for them though and the world is very interesting to run around in.

Along the lines of mascot platformers is Ratchet and Clank. 1 is super difficult at this point and its age is showing, but 2 is good and 3 might be one of the best ps2 games ever.

I hated jak 2 because it turned into some GTA clone in the city

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I was in one of those families that wouldn't let me play GTA, so Jak II was as close as I was gonna get.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ace Combat 5 is loving epic. It's the Ace Combatiest of them all

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Don't forget about Ace Combat Zero. Not as good as 5 but still worth playing for sure.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ace Combat Zero has the greatest dogfight in history.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fixed a typo in the thread title.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I posted about it in the rhythm thread a while ago but if you haven't before u should srsly check out Technic Beat. Arika developed rhythm game ported from Arcades, rly fun.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The PlayStation Staycation

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ace Combat on ps2 are some of the best games on the system. Shattered Skies and Unsung War are anoung my favorite games. 5 has one of the greatest final bosses ever

Tfw Mobious 1, Fox 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only ace combat I've ever played was 2 so I'm excited.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'll be working on all the PS3 games I still haven't played.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spoiler free ace combat ost https://youtu.be/cRXfFemc6Oo

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The ace combat 3 full version fan translation is out, and guess what, it owns.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Can't wait for metal gear july. Picked up the hd collection a couple weeks ago and will be following along with you imps playing mgs2 and 3 for the first time

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I hated jak 2 because it turned into some GTA clone in the city
The actual platforming levels in Jak 2 and 3 are great, but they break them up with dumb vehicle bullshit. Jak 3 is especially bad for this.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

The actual platforming levels in Jak 2 and 3 are great, but they break them up with dumb vehicle bullshit. Jak 3 is especially bad for this.

Same with sly cooper imo

Sly 1 was my favorite then they added tedious overworlds you had to run through to get to missions

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Same with sly cooper imo

Sly 1 was my favorite then they added tedious overworlds you had to run through to get to missions
And now the only non-Nintendo platformers are terrible indie poo poo like Braid.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Burnout 3, SSX 3

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Warriors and Bully
Hitman Contracts
The Bouncer
Onimusha

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm finally playing Ico

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

And now the only non-Nintendo platformers are terrible indie poo poo like Braid.

Lol don't forget yooka leylee

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

frank.club posted:

Ace Combat on ps2 are some of the best games on the system. Shattered Skies and Unsung War are anoung my favorite games. 5 has one of the greatest final bosses ever

Tfw Mobious 1, Fox 2

5 has like 5 final bosses and they're all great

i still haven't played 4 tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Burnout 3, SSX 3

I own these as well but I didn't include them in the OP because I've beaten them in the past. But I still play Burnout 3 basically every time I turn the PS2 on, just to do a couple of events.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Warriors and Bully
Hitman Contracts
The Bouncer
Onimusha

I don't think I've played any other game quite like The Bouncer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Warriors and Bully
Hitman Contracts
The Bouncer
Onimusha

Warriors I've played before and it pwns. Bouncer I beat like a week ago lol. Duragon C. Mikado

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Onimusha feels like a weird blend of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry; it isn't matched in tone nor feel by anything, but the ps2 ones are a bit more fun (or at least, less frustrating).

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This summer I aim to find my PSX and finally finish FF7

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Gregory Horror Show

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

I'm finally playing Ico

I love all 3 of those games, even if Ico's combat is pretty bad. The animation on the couple holding hands is still impressive to me

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GameCube posted:

5 has like 5 final bosses and they're all great

i still haven't played 4 tho

4 has this really interesting narrative where the cutscenes between the missions follow this guy flashing back to how the player character turned him into a refugee and it's not specifically about you constantly, and it makes you out to be the villain. Also has some insanely good missions

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Starting this tonight...torn on what to play first though...leaning DMC1

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Starting this tonight...torn on what to play first though...leaning DMC1

I know i'd personally warm up with some pro skater 3

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

There's an old fromsoft rpg called evergrace that has extremely clunky and early versions of demons souls systems that isn't great but is a fascinating look at how their overall design or whatever evolved

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DMC 1 and 3 imo, strt off with a bang

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
you going to play any armored core?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

you going to play any armored core?

Oh that's a good call, I've never played any but they seem cool. Any recommendations for the best one, PS1 or 2?

• Locked thread