Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

They pretty much pissed on the burning fire that was the Master Chief collection and said good enough as the fire imploded on itself. It still isn't feature complete. Probably Microsoft's fault I'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Spacebump posted:

They admitted to rushing out the game for the NBA playoffs. They pushed out four versions at once and put one out unfinished. Before the release they waited until a day or so before to announce the Switch version would be half assed at launch. Their own greed rushing out the game is the ultimate cause of this problem. If they couldn't handle launching it on four platforms at once they shouldn't have done it. It should always be pointed out this dev worked on Halo Master Chief Collection. A flagship Xbox franchise that launched with online not working for months. They eventually gave up fixing everything that was broken, leaving the game permanently incomplete. Some devs don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

That goes along with what I said above though.

Let me try to summarize it differently: the issue is when games that get released suck. If a game is already good, then it shouldn't matter much if the developers add content or features later.

Putting out a FPS, sports game, or fighting game without online vs when it's expected to be the main mode, that's a lovely product. Just because they fix it later doesn't mean it's not a lovely product at that time. People shouldn't buy these games if they know/expect it to be lovely and that it'll be fixed later. Buy it later when it gets good.

The developers here should be guilty of releasing a lovely product. Being a good or lovely product should be independent of when and what they decide to add in at a later date.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They pretty much pissed on the burning fire that was the Master Chief collection and said good enough as the fire imploded on itself. It still isn't feature complete. Probably Microsoft's fault I'm sure

Maybe Microsoft rushing out titles for the Xbone? Idk, that's about the only reasoning I could think for why it'd be Microsoft's fault. Tbh it just sounds like this dev team isn't the best when it comes to patches.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Not to mention, they've said that it's actually possible to get an exception on the file size of the patch, and by their own admission the technology they've chosen has made it a lengthy process getting it to the size it is on top of getting it approved by Nintendo.

Patches by nature take a while to be confirmed on console. This is true for any platform. Nintendo is right to have a preferred base line for the Switch because it's also a mobile device. The fact that exceptions exist shows they are flexible, but they need to keep the platform's unique concerns in mind.

This is the developer trying to pass the buck on their own incompetence.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Nintendo is not going to change the industry on day 1 patches. That is a gigantic issue for any third party game that comes with a several gig day 1 update. So while yes, it's lovely some lovely game is trying to patch in a feature that should have been in at launch, it's going to be a huge issue going forward for anything that's not first party.

Imagine the size of the patches for Skyrim...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Except what we're saying is that these developers have a pretty good excuse for being outliers. They've shown incompetence and lack of transparency and truthfulness on platforms that supposedly don't have these issues. Taking them at their word 100 % and not considering all the factors isn't exactly wise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

katkillad2 posted:

Nintendo is not going to change the industry on day 1 patches. That is a gigantic issue for any third party game that comes with a several gig day 1 update. So while yes, it's lovely some lovely game is trying to patch in a feature that should have been in at launch, it's going to be a huge issue going forward for anything that's not first party.

Imagine the size of the patches for Skyrim...

Why the would old rear end Skyrim need giant patches?:lol:

Nintendo should make exceptions on rare occasions but I like the policy over all. When I had a PS4, the ridiculous day 1 patches just turned me off and made me not want to bother playing. It feels like so many devs are lazy as gently caress these days.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo should make exceptions on rare occasions but I like the policy over all.

The post talking about all this said said that it's possible to get an exception approved.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why the would old rear end Skyrim need giant patches?:lol:

Nintendo should make exceptions on rare occasions but I like the policy over all. When I had a PS4, the ridiculous day 1 patches just turned me off and made me not want to bother playing. It feels like so many devs are lazy as gently caress these days.

It's not the developers but the executives who are demanding the game make its required Christmas launch. When's the last time an rear end Creed game launched with no day 1 flaws?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I don't remember AC 1 or 2 having any problems, but that's also the last time I played one :haw:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This is a dumb argument. Participators only outmatched in dumbness buy purchasers of obviously bad game.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
first they came for nba playgrounds, and i said nothing because its a bad game

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's slowdown with the some ridiculous late game combinations but nothing major. It's my favorite version of the game. Being able to play a mostly uncompromised version on the go and at home on the same save really owns.

You can even play coop with a separated joycon set.:)

Nice thanks. And some slowdown is fine considering I played the poo poo out of the original Flash version.

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'd you're up for the price, then no. Binding of Isaac is Perfect on the Switchâ„¢.

The only other issue is that the booster packs haven't been added yet, nor is it clear that they will be. Nicalis/Team Meat have said that they'll bundle the updates every few months or so but it remains to be seen.

Okay cool. Thankfully content is like the least of BoI's problems.

Also I'm guessing this version still has the newer and IMHO worse soundtrack? Did they ever say why they changed it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nice historical ref, hp.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yodzilla posted:

Also I'm guessing this version still has the newer and IMHO worse soundtrack? Did they ever say why they changed it?

It does. I think Edmund had a falling out with the original composer since he also changed the Meat Boy soundtrack too.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It does. I think Edmund had a falling out with the original composer since he also changed the Meat Boy soundtrack too.

I was wondering about that. It's too bad, because the original basement theme was amazing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is Netflix/Twitch/YouTube ever coming to the Switch

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
no

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Netflix/Twitch/YouTube ever coming to the Switch

Yes. Reggie said they will with no timetable.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is not how it works. Most projects have a hard date to get that Gold Master ready by for shipping so they can go print discs/carts. If you've ever played anything on PS2 or earlier, then you should be fully aware of the bugs you find in even the best games. The Day-One patch is so developers can keep working right up until the actual launch date to get bugs squashed.

That is not the case for entire features, however, that's just bad planning.

More on this: http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Got to say, anyone who is having trouble with level 4 to unlock ranked, in ARMS go do the Versus training modes until you destroy them and it becomes a cake walk, I basically 2-0'd everyone but headlok, and headlok only took a few times once I learned his very obvious open weakness of laughing at you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. Reggie said they will with no timetable.

If it means never touching my PS4 again, then I can wait.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Facetious posted:

If it means never touching my PS4 again, then I can wait.

FYI they are still making games for PS4, you might not have realized that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah. with more bugs than a mattress on a street corner.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:chloe:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Brought my switch on my trip and it's been awesome. Hooked it up to my parent's TV to show my mom 1 2 switch had a bit of a reception problem but the thing was behind the TV next to two routers 😛. Way too much 2.4 ghz back there, had to move it out a bit.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

LethalGeek posted:

Brought my switch on my trip and it's been awesome. Hooked it up to my parent's TV to show my mom 1 2 switch had a bit of a reception problem but the thing was behind the TV next to two routers 😛. Way too much 2.4 ghz back there, had to move it out a bit.

Weren't they supposed to have fixed that? I bought my switch sometime after they supposedly fixed the left joy con, but I have issues with it all the time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah. with more bugs than a mattress on a street corner.

As someone who owns a switch and a PS4, you can totally play both you don't have to hate one to enjoy the other. HTH

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As someone who owns a switch and a PS4, you can totally play both you don't have to hate one to enjoy the other. HTH

Agree. It's the Xbox we should all hate and laugh at.:smug:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SeANMcBAY posted:

Agree. It's the Xbox we should all hate and laugh at.:smug:

PCs actually

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
First time ever in a Steam Sale I'm skipping cheap PC games (Hollow Knight, I Am Setsuna) for their more expensive console counterparts.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Fun Times! posted:

First time ever in a Steam Sale I'm skipping cheap PC games (Hollow Knight, I Am Setsuna) for their more expensive console counterparts.

:same:

I want to play every game on my Nintendo tablet

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fun Times! posted:

i'm warning you not to get im setsuna, you will regret this

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Ah cmon it looks nice.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I Am Setsuna was not great. Don't go into it thinking it's similar to some classic game you remember, because it's definitely not that. It's a below average RPG.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

katkillad2 posted:

I Am Setsuna was not great. Don't go into it thinking it's similar to some classic game you remember, because it's definitely not that. It's a below average RPG.

Yup. I'd only pick it up if you're really starved for an RPG. Just replay Chrono Trigger instead and have a good time.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I want to play it because I heard the story is halfway decent but I hate combat in SRPGs.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Splatoon started out pretty light with only a few maps a decent weapon variety and a single player mode to teach you the basics but they kept on adding more and more stuff and the splatfests gave everyone a reason to come back. Some people picked a cause they thought was just, a few were just in it for the shells and the others picked a side based on which one their squid waifu endorsed. I think most people came back for the final waifu war, how could you not?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Fun Times! posted:

Yeah I told myself I'd get Thumper when it goes on sale on steam but poo poo's only like $7 off and I'd rather just pay the full cost and get a portable version too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

jabro posted:

I want to play it because I heard the story is halfway decent but I hate combat in SRPGs.

It isn't an SRPG; it tries very hard to be Chrono Trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah I told myself I'd get Thumper when it goes on sale on steam but poo poo's only like $7 off and I'd rather just pay the full cost and get a portable version too.

It's so loving good. More people need to get this game. It's $20 and owns. I'm not even a rhythm game person.

• Locked thread