Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Weren't they supposed to have fixed that? I bought my switch sometime after they supposedly fixed the left joy con, but I have issues with it all the time

What I was experiencing was a limit of wireless technology than a switch problem. I can replicate the same kinda issues sticking a laptop and phone right next to each other. I'm talking a couple inches of space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does Stardew Valley end, or does it keep going indefinitely as an entertaining Harvest Moon-like farming game? I was going to wait for the Switch version if that was the case, but kinda just want to pick it up now for $9 in the Steam sale.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fun Times! posted:

Ah cmon it looks nice.

it looks nice for about five minutes, but then every area looks exactly the same because that's what happens when your game's setting has one single environment type and no regional variation

i've talked about it a couple times in the steam thread before, but basically my complaints boil down to:

1) poorly-designed midgame bosses that only have one valid strategy to beat, so if you don't bring the right character, you'll die from attrition (e.g. one boss fully heals itself unless you can dispel its buff and only one character can dispel effects, and *dispel as in the item that teaches you the spell requires some rare materials to even make in the first place)

2) awful dungeon design. one stands out in particular where it asks you questions and if you give the wrong answer, it kicks you out and respawns all the monsters. aside from that, they're all pretty much the same and a number of them have "trap" routes that do nothing but send you further back towards the entrance to waste your time

other complaints, related to the "it looks nice" defense include:

3) it tries to make verbatim facsimiles of a lot of cool-looking effects from chrono trigger, but this translates really poorly to modern particle effects and everything just looks like weird transparent circles and crescents that last for a split second

4) related: everything in the game is a 3d model. because the models articulate smoothly, none of the attacks have any visual punch whatsoever--everyone swings their weapon clunkily, whereas in later snes rpgs, everything looked really impactful because you can do those kinds of visual tricks with sprites.

5) you know how timed attacks in super mario rpg are fun and add engagement to the game? ok so imagine that except it costs a resource that's basically an ff limit break in terms of how you build it up, except instead of an ultimate attack, you get the tiny boost you would expect from a timed attack. it doesn't even make your hit rate 100%

and lastly, only a half-complaint because the soundtrack is actually pretty good:

6) it's good but god drat just the one piano gets really boring after a while.

enojy posted:

Does Stardew Valley end, or does it keep going indefinitely as an entertaining Harvest Moon-like farming game? I was going to wait for the Switch version if that was the case, but kinda just want to pick it up now for $9 in the Steam sale.

it goes on forever. you have a "review deadline," but it's fairly meaningless because you can just get rejudged later on.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

I Am Setsuna was not great. Don't go into it thinking it's similar to some classic game you remember, because it's definitely not that. It's a below average RPG.

There are a lot of good opinions in this thread.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mister Facetious posted:

What about stealth following the Korok kid through the forest with no checkpoints?

You can sit as far back as you want on that quest and then just walk to the end if you know the route. Using a torch might work too but I didn't both trying since it only took a a couple tries.

Spacebump posted:

I wonder if they haven't announced the Switch VC yet so they can sell SNES minis this holiday season.

Manufacturing time spent on not-Switch stuff means less Switches to sell, and Nintendo could just sell a SNES mini bundle on the eShop.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Brought Switch to a Pride party today and we had a blast playing MK8. My buddy also brought his so we were able to link.

Just like the commercials.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

jabro posted:

I want to play it because I heard the story is halfway decent

Whoever told you this lied to you. It is the most paint by numbers thing imaginable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The story is literally FF X again.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BattleMaster posted:

It isn't an SRPG; it tries very hard to be Chrono Trigger.

Phantasium posted:

Whoever told you this lied to you. It is the most paint by numbers thing imaginable.

So instead of not buying it because of the combat I'm now not buying because of the story. Thanks for the clarification, goons.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The story is literally FF X again.

No, FFX was interesting.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

This covers the cert process pretty well, yeah. Though the "Anybody arguing that a game should be done when it goes ‘gold’ is living in the 90s" statement is really out of touch. Day 1 DLC isn't uncommon or weird, but it's also not a rarity to see games that actually DO get done by cert either. Things are trending to the way of DLC but we ain't all there yet.

Also

quote:

Developers care about the games they make

Wellllll...as much as I'd like to say that's always true, there certainly have been times where it wasn't the case :v:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I had a dream that I was head of Nintendo security. Someone had rammed a dude's car in the parking lot, and the owner punched Miyamoto in the face in retaliation. After talking to Reggie and Kimishima, I pieced together that Miyamoto had placed a prank bumper sticker on the car (the prank was that the politics of the sticker were the opposite of the car owners), and that someone had rammed the car out of a negative reaction to said bumper sticker. Then my alarm went off, and I was pretty pissed because I am sure I could have cracked the case in like, another minute.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jabro posted:

So instead of not buying it because of the combat I'm now not buying because of the story. Thanks for the clarification, goons.

well i mean the combat isn't good either, and this is coming from someone who LOVES atb

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

Nintendo is not going to change the industry on day 1 patches. That is a gigantic issue for any third party game that comes with a several gig day 1 update. So while yes, it's lovely some lovely game is trying to patch in a feature that should have been in at launch, it's going to be a huge issue going forward for anything that's not first party.

Imagine the size of the patches for Skyrim...

The thing they may change, which I suspect is a fair bit of the point of contention here, is that those guys shipped a game they knew needed a day-1 patch, and did not have a sensible plan for how to deliver such a patch in a sane way. As in, the bigger issue is that they basically want to have the user download the entire game again, because they didn't take the time to figure out a reasonable way to produce diffs which would not touch all the assets and similar which no doubt has not changed. From the sound of things they have inched closer (though through some general binary diff compression which still creates huge downloads), but I think it is a pretty reasonable stand for Nintendo to take up to a point, it is not that difficult to be prepared to make sensibly sized patches.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Coldforge posted:

Is this actually a thing? My Switch is finally arriving on Monday; do I need to buy one of those sock covers for the dock?
It's seemingly only a thing if you have a warped dock. If you look at it side on and it's not straight, you may need to return it. It seems to be a manufacturing defect, but I don't think it's particularly common. Maybe 1 or 2 people posted pics in here earlier in the thread. It's probably been corrected by now. Other than that, as Sakurazuka said, unless you're slamming that thing into the dock it should be ok really.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SWITCH INTO THE DOCK. ITS LEGEND OF ZELDA AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ZELDA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Regarding NBA Playgrounds, it's a bit lovely that it shipped without Online, but surely they could get around it by adding it as free DLC rather than a patch? Unless Nintendo have the same download size rules about DLC as they do about patches. You would think that DLC would be expected to be bigger than a patch, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

well why not posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SWITCH INTO THE DOCK. ITS LEGEND OF ZELDA AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ZELDA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY

:same:

I beat botw on Wii U and I'm about to do a dlc run on switch. So goood more Zelda yes!!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Doing Four Job Fiesta and god damnit I wish FF5 was on the Switch!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Regarding NBA Playgrounds, it's a bit lovely that it shipped without Online, but surely they could get around it by adding it as free DLC rather than a patch? Unless Nintendo have the same download size rules about DLC as they do about patches. You would think that DLC would be expected to be bigger than a patch, though.

I think it would set a good precedent if Nintendo just told them to go gently caress themselves and let them sort out how to refund everyone's money.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

irlZaphod posted:

Patches vs DLC might involve a separate process since it usually involves putting something on the store, something which the devs might not have been prepared to do for something new on the spot. I was surprised they didn't just do that in the first place when they saw the size of the update. Again, it just sounds like Saber Interactive doesn't have it all together. It's worth keeping in mind that this studio doesn't exactly have the best track record either.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I think it would set a good precedent if Nintendo just told them to go gently caress themselves and let them sort out how to refund everyone's money.

But but but applying quality standards to third party games will make the shovelware leave!

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I bought NBA playgrounds hoping it would be like NBA street or NBA jam. Couldn't really get into it and I hate that the locked out the roster in game packs forcing me to play with a bunch of players one teams I give 0 shits about.

Game is worse than arms.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

EpicNemesis posted:

Game is worse than arms.

There are many games worse than ARMS, because ARMS is very good!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Takoluka posted:

There are many games worse than ARMS, because ARMS is very good!

:yeah:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Takoluka posted:

>games worse than ARMS

>:ins:

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

jabro posted:

I want to play it because I heard the story is halfway decent but I hate combat in SRPGs.

The graphics are nice and the combat is okay (it's a little funky feeling but it's not like "UGH ANOTHER BATTLE"), but the setting is super bland and the story is very boring, and like FF10, it's literally, "Go down this hallway: the game".

Honestly the "crafting" stuff seems interesting but collecting items to upgrade is based on battles, and the way battles are set up is that youre gonna have to grind especially if you want rare drops or whatever, youll have to backtrack, poo poo like that. It's like the cooking and crafting poo poo in Zelda, but then put that in a linear RPG and it becomes a bit of a chore rather than just something that happens when youre playing the game.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 26, 2017

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Arms has a very punchable face

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Welp

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/879369032947847168

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Welp, they just announced the SNES Classic on Facebook

quote:

Now you’re playing with super power! Play 21 Super NES hits, including the previously unreleased Star Fox 2, when the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition launches September 29!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Good loving luck, everyone.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Aaaand it's gone

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i loving swear if they cheap out and the uk ends up with that purple poo poo instead of the real snes, riots will happen across every major city.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wait what STAR FOX 2!!!??

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spellman posted:

Aaaand it's gone

Find out who that hand belongs to, they got the one copy

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I need to buy some nintendo stock, or least tell my dad to

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I didn't want the NES and I don't want this. But it will surely sell a hundred million units.

NINTENDO - release these games on Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Holy poo poo. Star Fox 2? I'm camping out for that one.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

hahah this lineup is kinda.. eh. they dont even have the best donkey kong country on there. nintendo what are you doing. gimme that switch vc already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I didn't want the NES and I don't want this. But it will surely sell a hundred million units.

NINTENDO - release these games on Switch.

Pretty much my plan. I don't need something else to plug into my tv.

I can also take them on the go.

• Locked thread