Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
uBlock origin and Ghostery working great for me. Basically the only time i see ads is when i'm deliberately unblocking something or if i've taken a really bad turn into a insanely shady corner of the internet.

Mithaldu posted:

joke's on you, you're still using chrome, just with a different coat of paintmemory management
i mean, that's the entire selling point of the article he linked, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Frankly, i don't believe that this is more than miniscule options tweaking, particularly since the Opera blog about Reborn doesn't even mention memory or resources, and when i tried to run it just now, it still used memory the same as Chrome does (on windows) and sites like amazon.com or twitter didn't feel any different in speed.

The article linked also contains quotes using words that don't even remotely appear in the same context as in the opera.com article.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
"Unable to complete secure transaction" :rip:

It's sad times when you have to throw away a perfectly good browser because of minor things like being unsupported for three years and not supporting any modern crypto standards.
Can 12.18 still access the forums? I think that was released for Windows only.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

suffix posted:

"Unable to complete secure transaction" :rip:

It's sad times when you have to throw away a perfectly good browser because of minor things like being unsupported for three years and not supporting any modern crypto standards.
Can 12.18 still access the forums? I think that was released for Windows only.
Booted 12.18 up, SA forums seem to be working.

Did anything come of the source code leak?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 21, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Curious here peeps. What is it you miss about Opera.old?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Opera.old had the side-panel where you could filter the links on a page, and right-click download. When you buy a Humble Bundle, it doesn't package them up all nicely for you, you have to download each one by hand. Or filter for the filetype, and download them all at once.

The closest I've found is the Firefox extension DownThemAll. It's a little more powerful, but it's finicky in its own way. And it's Firefox-only.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Curious here peeps. What is it you miss about Opera.old?

I still use Opera 12 for most browsing, because no other browser has a "right-click + scroll to switch tabs" feature that doesn't suck complete balls, or is performant enough to actually use.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Why i still have it installed:
-Being able to view and manage the open Tabs in a side panel tree view with multi-select and drag and drop for tab groupings, including quick find and sorting.
-Persistently visible tab thumbnails simply by dragging a thing up and down.
-Very minimal screenspace use without having to use fullscreen mode. About half of what vivaldi/chrome uses.
-Edit site preferences lets you copy and edit cookies and other stuff better and faster than chromes poo poo
-Incredibly deep and varied opera:config dialog.

Things that were nice but aren't deal-breakers:
-Occasionally presentation modes like fit-to-width or author mode.
-opera:cache , opera:cpu and history search were all way better than chrome's equivalents
-fallback email/irc clients, though most of that stuff has moved to other devices at this point.

Things i dont miss: Opera Dragonfly not being local and available offline but loaded online from their server.

Vivaldi has me covered for pretty much everything else security relevant or multimedia related at this point though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mithaldu posted:

I still use Opera 12 for most browsing, because no other browser has a "right-click + scroll to switch tabs" feature that doesn't suck complete balls, or is performant enough to actually use.
I miss this. Vivaldi's version is unusable. What's so dificult about just giving me a list of window titles I can scroll up and down through? These side-by-side thumbnails are worthless. For one thing, only seven of them fit on-screen at one time, and for another, I often can't tell from the thumbnail what tab it even is.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

-fallback email/irc clients, though most of that stuff has moved to other devices at this point.
Having to install and figure out how to use Thunderbird was a huge pain, not even including the inconvenience of transferring all my feeds over.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I think I must be one of the few who switched from Vivaldi to Opera. I have this irritating bug on multiple OS that locks up the browser and crashes it when I pan a Youtube video twice. Given that I use Youtube almost incessantly this became a infuriating thing. Both Chrome/Chromium and Vivaldi suffer from it. Safari was too limited and Opera seems to have all the features I need except for Chromecast.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

YouTuber posted:

crashes it when I pan a Youtube video twice.
I've watched thousands of hours of youtube on vivaldi (using the magic actions for youtube plugin) and am not sure what you mean by that. Like, run 2 videos simultaneously with one hard panned left and the other hard panned right?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ever since the latest vivaldi update, SALR has been doing this

Anyone have an idea of how to fix it?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've watched thousands of hours of youtube on vivaldi (using the magic actions for youtube plugin) and am not sure what you mean by that. Like, run 2 videos simultaneously with one hard panned left and the other hard panned right?

Skip ahead or backwards in a video if I missed something. Buffering shouldn't hardlock the browser.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is anyone else having issues with Vivaldi playing/displaying media? It's been slowly crapping more and more over poo poo, especially on Facebook. Videos will play at half sound speed sometimes, it doesn't want to load images, and I also have a whole bunch of Non-facebook websites that won't load images or music files in their streamer poo poo.

I am wondering if it maybe is a problem with uBlock Origin or Ghostery, which are the only two plugins I have installed, I believe. I haven't done much troubleshooting but I wanted to see if this was a common problem people are running in to or if I just hosed something up. It's frustrating because I love Vivaldi as a browser and the webpanel is something I use constantly, but it's getting close to unusable for a lot of what I do with my day :\

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I have uBlock Origin installed and everything's working fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So Opera has privacy concerns? Is that a thing? I know it was bought by a Chinese company, but is there any credence to these claims or nah?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Has anyone tried using Vivaldi on a touch device? It's laggy as hell (as in 2-3 second lag, sometimes the touch doesn't register). Using a Surface Pro 3. Had to go back to Chrome, which is not bad with the slide to go back/forward.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

jokes posted:

So Opera has privacy concerns? Is that a thing? I know it was bought by a Chinese company, but is there any credence to these claims or nah?

I have a privacy concern but its not big enough to switch off chromeopera.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Since various services like Fastly are migrating:

If you have issues with HTTPS, enable TLS 1.2 in the encryption settings.

That may be off in various installations due to a 2014 bug that caused Opera to disable them via the auto-update feature.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Mithaldu posted:

Since various services like Fastly are migrating:

If you have issues with HTTPS, enable TLS 1.2 in the encryption settings.

That may be off in various installations due to a 2014 bug that caused Opera to disable them via the auto-update feature.
If you don't mind random crashing. That wasn't a bug, that was a patch Oldpera pushed to work-around the random crashing since they didn't want to bother to fix it since they were already onto Newpera.

EDIT: See discussion of this starting in the middle of this page. Apparently I was the first to bring up the random crashing.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 2, 2017

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Has anyone else started experiencing popup windows after updating to Vivaldi 1.11? This has always been one of the bigger advantages over Chrome or Firefox, Opera and Vivaldi never opened popup windows, they would just create a new tab.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So for about 6 months now I've had a problem with Vivaldi (and updating it dosent fix it) where if I close the program and try to open it again it starts minimized and wont open at all, the only solution is to right click on it in the task bar and hit new window, that instance will open just fine but not the first one. Any ideas?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Basticle posted:

So for about 6 months now I've had a problem with Vivaldi (and updating it dosent fix it) where if I close the program and try to open it again it starts minimized and wont open at all, the only solution is to right click on it in the task bar and hit new window, that instance will open just fine but not the first one. Any ideas?

Have you tried a new profile?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Did it get itself hidden off screen or super minimized (i.e. window made 0x0 in size) somehow? Try using <Win> + <arrow> keys to move it back / resize

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Basticle posted:

Had this issue pop up about a month ago. I just uninstalled the re-installed to fix it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

lurksion posted:

If you don't mind random crashing. That wasn't a bug, that was a patch Oldpera pushed to work-around the random crashing since they didn't want to bother to fix it since they were already onto Newpera.

EDIT: See discussion of this starting in the middle of this page. Apparently I was the first to bring up the random crashing.

I think they actually fixed that with 12.18. I haven't had any issues in any case.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Mithaldu posted:

I think they actually fixed that with 12.18. I haven't had any issues in any case.
Ah interesting. Nice of them (cough) to do that after 2 years.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

At least that update came out before they were bought by a chinese malware company.

Also i found this, and it is hilarious and sad: http://www.opera.com/docs/history/

Edit: They still don't have scroll tab switching, and i seem to remember being told that was supposed to be part of Rocket Gestures.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 20, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone figured out how to have usable touch gestures in Vivaldi? It's pretty bizarre that this is the browser that had mouse gestures since ages but touch doesn't work at all (other than scrolling)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Probably (definitely) not really the right thread but idk where to ask about this and it is related to Opera insofar as that's the main browser I use :v:

I'm from the UK and have just moved abroad, and I'm trying to watch tvcatchup.com (live UK TV streaming). It worked without any problems last week, but now it doesn't work and asks me to disable my ad blocker (I have done and am not running a proxy, the problem persists). I assume it's region locked and for UK IPs only, but the weird thing is I can still hear the stream, just can't see it, and I would have expected to get a region lock message rather than an ad block message.

FWIW the website still works normally on Chrome. Why would that be? Obviously if I can just use Chrome then there's not really any issue but I kind of expect it to stop working soon on Chrome too.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Could be one of the ad scripts started using newer Javascript features than Opera supports, so the script would very likely fail to parse and appear blocked to other scripts, but that's just a guess.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
A fresh install fixed it :shrug:

Still feel like it SHOULD be region locked but it doesn't seem to be

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Seems like the latest Vivaldi update killed Flash on some websites? Even after going into settings and telling it to allow Flash everywhere, HBO insists I don't have Flash :(

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Vivaldi 1.13 released a week ago and now has a "window panel" which may or may not satisfy anyone's need for turbo:spergin: tab management.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It's pretty neat! Doesn't yet let you close tabs by middle clicking the list entry (the same as you can the tab header) and switching to a tab is a double click instead of a single one, but there's multi-selection drag and drop and "Pinned Tabs" and "Closed Tabs" are surfaced as regular folders you can move in/out of very intuitively.

And you can finally see which tab is generating audio even if it's buried deep within a tab stack and not visible at the top.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 30, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Reverting to 1.13 - did 1.14 break address bar dropdowns for anyone else?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

lurksion posted:

Reverting to 1.13 - did 1.14 break address bar dropdowns for anyone else?
Yeah. All it did was disable it for me though. I went into options and just turned them on.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Am I the only one annoyed by Vivaldi selecting what I'm typing while typing and losing typed characters? Kind of hard to explain but like if I type "gmail.com" at a certain pace it it will select letters as I'm typing and I can end up losing characters and end up with "gmai.com"

It's annoying enough that I am thinking about switching to Firefox because of it

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Aunt Beth posted:

Yeah. All it did was disable it for me though. I went into options and just turned them on.
Options were still set correctly on mine, tried flipping them back and forth to no effect. :shrug:

Wait for the next version for me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Alpha Mayo posted:

Am I the only one annoyed by Vivaldi selecting what I'm typing while typing and losing typed characters? Kind of hard to explain but like if I type "gmail.com" at a certain pace it it will select letters as I'm typing and I can end up losing characters and end up with "gmai.com"

It's annoying enough that I am thinking about switching to Firefox because of it

Sounds like that has been fixed in 1.14.1077.45, VB-35695. "CTRL+ENTER in address bar deletes last typed character"