Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

hifi posted:

i'm trying php now and its clicking more than every other quick trial of a web dev setup i ever did (i assume this is a bad thing). here's my forums software progress

you should completely gently caress your poo poo up and try MEAN imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SamDabbers posted:

CGI script in bash

CGI script in C

bring back all of the string comparison nightmares of the 90s

although, I hear that okcupid is actually written in C++...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

el dorito posted:

CGI script in C

bring back all of the string comparison nightmares of the 90s

although, I hear that okcupid is actually written in C++...

Scgi in c++ with nginx isnt bad.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

one pid per request, isn't it?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

lmao this guy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

writing c++ in 2017 is a fantastic troll imho

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

writing c++ in 2017 is a fantastic troll imho

Embedded Linux.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

most, if not all, of the embedded Linux I've written was in C, funny enough

but it was mainly kernel drivers and system programming and etc

the web stuff was usually a scripting language like php, although I think ddwrt uses asp

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 13, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

el dorito posted:

most, if not all, of the embedded Linux I've written was in C, funny enough

but it was mainly kernel drivers and system programming and etc

the web stuff was usually a scripting language like php, although I think ddwrt uses asp

At the beginning of this project we made the decision to use PHP7, but to also limit it as just a renderer, and to not let it do anything other than connect to an SCGI socket and ask for information, as PHP has such a crazy amount of CVE's.

Tankakern posted:

one pid per request, isn't it?

Good lord no. That's just CGI. SCGI uses sockets and a persistent application. In our instance to connect to the socket you have to go through an authorization module first.

Example:

code:

location /net/ {
	auth_request /auth/;
	include   scgi_params;
	scgi_pass localhost:9006;
}

Pretty straight forward.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

At the beginning of this project we made the decision to use PHP7, but to also limit it as just a renderer, and to not let it do anything other than connect to an SCGI socket and ask for information, as PHP has such a crazy amount of CVE's.

so, you noted that php has a terrible security track record, and your "solution" was not to abandon php, but rather set even more code standards to avoid security holes?

(because setting standards for php code has worked so well in the past?)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so, you noted that php has a terrible security track record, and your "solution" was not to abandon php, but rather set even more code standards to avoid security holes?

(because setting standards for php code has worked so well in the past?)

I think it's more to let the web devs write the UI in php, and let the back-end guys add another api so that they can do the back-end stuff in another language.

It's not a bad solution, I think, if architected correctly. It lets the developers stay in the domains they're familiar with, and judicious use of selinux could secure the web processes even more.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

el dorito posted:

I think it's more to let the web devs write the UI in php, and let the back-end guys add another api so that they can do the back-end stuff in another language.

It's not a bad solution, I think, if architected correctly. It lets the developers stay in the domains they're familiar with, and judicious use of selinux could secure the web processes even more.

This is pretty much it. PHP isnt allowed to do anything other than ask for information from a socket, and the socket returns the information.

Also there are several daemons, one for each subsystrm, each in their own selinux context.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

architect is not a verb

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://lwn.net/Articles/725623/

anaconda is still trash

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

architect is not a verb

it is now

language is funny that way

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hobbesmaster posted:

it is now

now its

funy language

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

it is now

you could say verbing weirds language

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

you could say verbing weirds language

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2017/06/20/fedora-workstation-26-and-beyond/

quote:

PipeWire

I talked about PipeWire before, when it was still called Pinos, but the scope and ambition for the project has significantly changed since then. Last time when I spoke about it the goal was just to create something that could be considered a video equivalent of pulseaudio. Wim Taymans, who you might know co-created GStreamer and who has been a major PulseAudio contributor, has since expanded the scope and PipeWire now aims at unifying linux Audio and Video. The long term the goal is for PipeWire to not only provide handling of video streams, but also handle all kinds of audio. Due to this Wim has been spending a lot of time making sure PipeWire can handle audio in a way that not only address the PulseAudio usecases, but also the ones handled by Jack today.

On the screen, a man excitedly mouths what the viewer assumes is a sound on linux joke

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

can only assume the 'scope broadened' because what they were originally proposing sounds completely useless

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

josh04 posted:

can only assume the 'scope broadened' because what they were originally proposing sounds completely useless

i guess it was supposed to be a less lovely version of gstreamer ("pulseaudio for video"), but idk what the point is because firefox, vlc, mpv and a bunch of other media players just use ffmpeg directly because dealing with os codecs is a shitshow

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
not quite

gstreamer is a toolkit for chaining multimedia bits together to go from some sort of media source (network, disk) through some demuxers and codecs through to a display surface and/or an audio device, with as much hardware acceleration within the boxes and as much dma between the boxes as possible.

pulseaudio is a system service that mixes application audio outputs together and then pushes them out of an audio device. and also securely mediates access to microphones.

pinos was supposed to be a complement for pulseaudio that securely mediates access to the system's webcam. then they noticed that when you say the name out loud it sounds identical to penis so they renamed it to pipewire and decided to scope creep it so that it would also become a replacement for pulseaudio as well. because pulseaudio wasn't bloated enough to begin with, what with the network streaming and the bluetooth handling.

linux multimedia is and always will be a fuckshow.

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

not quite

gstreamer is a toolkit for chaining multimedia bits together to go from some sort of media source (network, disk) through some demuxers and codecs through to a display surface and/or an audio device, with as much hardware acceleration within the boxes and as much dma between the boxes as possible.

pulseaudio is a system service that mixes application audio outputs together and then pushes them out of an audio device. and also securely mediates access to microphones.

pinos was supposed to be a complement for pulseaudio that securely mediates access to the system's webcam. then they noticed that when you say the name out loud it sounds identical to penis so they renamed it to pipewire and decided to scope creep it so that it would also become a replacement for pulseaudio as well. because pulseaudio wasn't bloated enough to begin with, what with the network streaming and the bluetooth handling.

FTFY

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyone used Fedy before? i just discovered it today when my lazy rear end was looking for some halfway decent graphic git client for fedora to use out of ide (to fix poo poo that clogged up pycharm vcs, although in hindsight i couldve done that out of pycharm too but whatever), and it seems to be pretty cool? granted, theres loads of proprietary stuff on there and even ~popcorn time~, but who cares jesus

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyone used Fedy before? i just discovered it today when my lazy rear end was looking for some halfway decent graphic git client for fedora to use out of ide (to fix poo poo that clogged up pycharm vcs, although in hindsight i couldve done that out of pycharm too but whatever), and it seems to be pretty cool? granted, theres loads of proprietary stuff on there and even ~popcorn time~, but who cares jesus

:barf:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i just cant be arsed to deal with .deb fuckery or janitor bash script shortcuts, sorry

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

no im sorry. im hungover and reading about package dependencies and restricted packages actually is making me ill

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

no im sorry. im hungover and reading about package dependencies and restricted packages actually is making me ill

i imagine most people who use linux seriously would laugh at my troubles but if there's one thing that grinds my gears its installing poo poo i cant get for package managers native to the system. installing and running is fine, but theres always some fuckery involved, with shortcuts or otherwise

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

because pulseaudio wasn't bloated enough to begin with, what with the network streaming and the bluetooth handling.

yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to transparently move all audio output from the internal sound card to a Bluetooth speaker and back again or anything like that

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
imagine trying to walk your mom through upgrading a linux over the phone.

okay you need to open up a terminal and type 12 commands, but first mom your sources.list probably isn't set up right oh and you need these 6 other things for dependencies after you upgrade because your web browser won't work. no, mom, update and upgrade are two different things, and you need to do a dist-upgrade after a regular upgrade, oh, and if you don't type these 300 commands into a terminal first then it won't read your sources right and oh yeah you need these two different repositories but each one has conflicting versions of 3 different dependencies you need so here's another 1600 commands to enter into the terminal.

uh, you typed -f install instead of install -f? well, let's start over.

mom, yeah, I know your old laptop you just pressed the button and it updated itself, but this is the most free and open operating system in the world

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

lol if you subject your mom to a linux and don't set up ssh access so you can janitor it for her.

she changed your lovely diapers ffs, don't make her clean up after your POS OS too

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

angry_keebler posted:

okay you need to open up a terminal and type 12 commands, but first mom your sources.list probably isn't set up right oh and you need these 6 other things for dependencies after you upgrade because your web browser won't work. no, mom, update and upgrade are two different things, and you need to do a dist-upgrade after a regular upgrade, oh, and if you don't type these 300 commands into a terminal first then it won't read your sources right and oh yeah you need these two different repositories but each one has conflicting versions of 3 different dependencies you need so here's another 1600 commands to enter into the terminal.

uh, you typed -f install instead of install -f? well, let's start over.

mom, yeah, I know your old laptop you just pressed the button and it updated itself, but this is the most free and open operating system in the world

in Gnome/Linux it tells you when there are updates through the Software Catalogue, and it Just Works

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

OldAlias posted:

in Gnome/Linux it tells you when there are updates through the Software Catalogue, and it Just Works

Except when it doesn't and poo poo breaks worse than cli update ever could.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you can try to hide as much of this poo poo as possible but it comes at the cost of understanding. invisibility in the name of user friendliness is a black-box that frames the device as an appliance for the consumption of content. which is fine, but things could have been different. windows isn't actually much better to maintain or help with it's just familiar and it's encouraged a lot of unknowing. in any case you're a miserable child if you don't just get her a mac

pram
Jun 10, 2001
please tell me 'software catalog' is completely decoupled from apt and maintains its own special db of trash

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

For 3 out of 5 computers, I've had to install Windows 10 from scratch instead of doing the OS update.

This includes fresh installs of Windows 8.

poo poo breaks on Windows too!

With that said...

SamDabbers posted:

lol if you subject your mom to a linux and don't set up ssh access so you can janitor it for her.

she changed your lovely diapers ffs, don't make her clean up after your POS OS too

:same:

and

OldAlias posted:

... <snip> just get her a mac

:same:

except that my parents can't watch videos with crazy overseas codecs and players that require windows

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

OldAlias posted:

you can try to hide as much of this poo poo as possible but it comes at the cost of understanding. invisibility in the name of user friendliness is a black-box that frames the device as an appliance for the consumption of content. which is fine, but things could have been different. windows isn't actually much better to maintain or help with it's just familiar and it's encouraged a lot of unknowing. in any case you're a miserable child if you don't just get her a mac

uh, except what if she needs good performance, not some turd thing with a touchbar to send emojis to her girlfriends???

my mom needs a beefy gaming rig to get thousands of no-scope headshots and incredibly sick kill streaks in battlefield 1, is timb going to help her do that?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

not quite

yeah, i was kinda bummed when i read that they were planning to replace pulseaudio... it took a lot of years getting pulseaudio to the state it is now, just seems pointless to start another project that will inevitably lead to teeth-gnashing and unnecessary compatibility and stability issues that pulseaudio used years to get by

write a plugin to pulseaudio or something, writing a replacement for it will not end well

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
get your mother a mac ffs

and/or call and visit her more often so she doesn't have to use computer poo poo as an excuse for you to call or visit

that being said fedora's update mechanism is integrated with the package manager and also just works. it doesn't explode, because it's just the package manager, which also doesn't explode because mission critical server farms running rhel depend on it not exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tankakern posted:

yeah, i was kinda bummed when i read that they were planning to replace pulseaudio... it took a lot of years getting pulseaudio to the state it is now, just seems pointless to start another project that will inevitably lead to teeth-gnashing and unnecessary compatibility and stability issues that pulseaudio used years to get by

write a plugin to pulseaudio or something, writing a replacement for it will not end well

https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html