Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, I know its not 5* servant luck, but now I have Tammacat and Marie with a Limited/Zero Over. Just on he face of it a 25% boost on Buster on a Zerker seems like a drat good idea. Unless this is absolutely stupid I think I will stay with this setup, as the only other realistic hope I had was EMIYA or Liz to go with Cat.

E: also both Cus, with regular getting 2 copies. Yep. Time to sleep though, its 3:40 in the morning and I've been rerolling since midnight.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tamacat doesn't make great use of limited/zero over because her NP is quick, not buster.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

After a couple rerolls I wound up with Kiyohime, Robin Hood, Saint Martha, Alexander, Siegfried, and EMIYA.
That'll do, I recon.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alright, calling it a night. Will continue rolling in a few hours. Here are some rolls I don't really want for one reason or another, but someone might.
All passwords are 1111. Make sure to quote it if you're taking it.

jNKg9bpJWN:
Carmilla/Marie
Kaleidoscope/Imaginary Element x 2/Gem Magic: Antumbra/Angel's Song

bkQGZsA9J8:
Red Man
Angel's Song/Heaven's Feel/Imaginary Element

Sd6kMxs9nE:
Martha, Marie
Divine Banquet x 2, Angel's Song, Projection, Iron-Willed Training

w7QMtr4zve:
d'Eon, Waver
Limited/Zero Over, Gandr, Imaginary Element, Be Elegant, Angel's Song

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lord Koth posted:

Alright, calling it a night. Will continue rolling in a few hours. Here are some rolls I don't really want for one reason or another, but someone might.
All passwords are 1111. Make sure to quote it if you're taking it.
w7QMtr4zve:
d'Eon, Waver
Limited/Zero Over, Gandr, Imaginary Element, Be Elegant, Angel's Song

I'll take that one!

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused

Gacha is good civilization.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Heck yea, Im totally into this, even though I usually hate gachas and mobile games, just becouse of fate (and becouse I will travel a lot in next few weeks and I need something to kill time...). I just started, and everything works super smooth, even though I am filthy euro with old phone.

That being said, I have few hard hitting questions:

1) How unforgivable is the gacha? I know, It was repeatedly stated that you can clear everything with trash-tier Servant team, but I am talking about the true purpose of the game ie. waifu hunting.
When there is some limited event going on, is it humanly possible to score the Servant you want without spending $$$? Assuming you prepare for the event, of course.

2) Is there any point in MC gender outside of the way you look? Do Servants or the story react differently based on your gender? Or does the genders have different personalities?

1) Let me put the gacha this way. You will absolutely get a 5 star servant or two eventually. But it will probably not be the one you want, and you will never upgrade their NP past level one unless you have the devils luck or have sunk thousands of dollars into the gacha.

As an anecdote, after having played the JP version super casually since a bit after launch, but collecting all the free quartz they give you after maintenance and downtime (which in my experience is your primary source of free income), I only have a total of 3 five star servants, none of whom I was aiming for, but all of whom have grown on me somewhat over time.

I would honestly focus on your three and four star servants first. While your master level is low, it's difficult to field the rare guys, and they're so slow to level that the rest of your roster can get starved for xp cards.

2) It changes a couple lines here and there slightly, but the broad gist is still the same, i.e. Every female servant who wants to bone Gudao is also a lesbian for Gudako. Also, you can change sex in the options at any time with no consequences, so you can change if you don't like it.

That being said, you should go for Gudako, the female sprite. She's the star of Riyo's FGO comics which are the best thing to come out of this game, while Gudao was only the star of the kinda crappy one episode anime they made about the first chapter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only good part of gudao is the bit in shinjuku where he crossdresses

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, thanks everyone.

So I did the first two 10x gachas and results are....mostly mediocore or weak Servants (my first 4* was Elizabeth) aaand..... I got Jeanne in my second gacha who is apparently 5* and a Ruler? I kinda wanted to reroll before, becouse I was really unimpressed by the Servants I got, but I dont mind Jeanne and there is snowball chance in hell I'll ever get her again if I rerolll so....
Is she good? Especially when starting out and being totally clueless about the game?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Post link to comics

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Ok, time to roll up my sleeves and get to rerolling. 1st attempt:

Well, that's done with.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, thanks everyone.

So I did the first two 10x gachas and results are....mostly mediocore or weak Servants (my first 4* was Elizabeth) aaand..... I got Jeanne in my second gacha who is apparently 5* and a Ruler? I kinda wanted to reroll before, becouse I was really unimpressed by the Servants I got, but I dont mind Jeanne and there is snowball chance in hell I'll ever get her again if I rerolll so....
Is she good? Especially when starting out and being totally clueless about the game?

She's a defensive support, but she's very good. Basically every 5-star is, if only for their giant stack of stats.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
is 5* Vlad worth investing those stat boosting thingies into, im a complete dunce @ this

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
got past the gacha (Carmilla, gently caress it, not pushing my luck going for Berserker) and yooooo there's the good old VN magical technobabble I remember.

Edit: Okay so with the free Quartz is there any reason not to do a 10-roll again? If what we have right now is the 'default' gacha is it worth hanging onto quartz for banners?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 26, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

MotU posted:

is 5* Vlad worth investing those stat boosting thingies into, im a complete dunce @ this

Yes, but you don't have to do so immediately.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Post link to comics

http://fate-go.cirnopedia.org/comic.php

Note that if you care about the plot, theres some spoilers for Fuyuki and later on for other things.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, thanks everyone.

Jeanne D'arc (Ruler)

+Arguably the face of the game! On all the promotional materials, and heroine of the first real story arc.
+Rulers are very useful.
+It's good to have a support servant.
+5 Star servants will faceroll the early game with their elevated stats alone.
+Appearing in this summer's Fate Apocrypha anime.

-Utterly upstaged by her Alter version in character, popularity, and power. Despite arguably being one of the main faces of the game she's kind of forgotten about.
-There are other support servants, and at the start of the game it would be nice to have a servant with some firepower rather than going double-defense with Mashu.
-The early game is pretty facerollable even without a 5 star. Plus they're hard to field while your master level is low.
-In the grand scheme of things there's been some power creep and she's kind of mediocre. Many servants have ways of getting a turn of invincibility without having to rely on Jeanne's NP, and until you upgrade it the self stun is really painful.

But honestly, this is a waifu collecting game. If she's your waifu then go for it.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

Edit: Okay so with the free Quartz is there any reason not to do a 10-roll again? If what we have right now is the 'default' gacha is it worth hanging onto quartz for banners?

Unless you're wanting to run the reroll gacha again looking for 5-stars, or unless you literally have no preference what servant you get, I'd probably wait?

FGO doesn't have anything quite like godfests, but they'll often pick 1-2 servants and give a special gacha that gives them a moderate rate up, and there are quite a few servants who aren't available in the regular story gacha and only show up in these events. Sometimes these special gacha show up for the regular in-game events (I think Nero will get one pretty soon?), sometimes they do them for holidays and such. Around New Years in the JP version they do a big thing where every day a different popular 5 star servant gets a rate up gacha.

There's reason to wait for the normal story gacha, as well. Some servants aren't added to it until you progress to a certain point in the story, though you can still get them through events and such.

The usual FGO gacha tactic is to miserly save all your quartz until there's a rate up gacha with someone you're aiming for, dump all of it, and then cry over your pile of 4 star CEs.

Maybe I'd give one pull at the start just to help fill out your early game roster a bit, but in general it's a saving game.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 26, 2017

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

So on the tutorial roll, I got Tamamo Cat first try, no rerolls necessary. Then on my second 10-roll from the free quartz, I got Kaleidoscope. So it looks like I've officially used up all my luck.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can also give no fucks and just do single rolls and get tons of 5-stars and make people mad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What's the appeal of friend points rolls?

Less rare stuff, but just another shot at getting more stuff in general?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Drew Emiya, than Jeanne and her stalker. :toot:

The rerolling is done.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bakanogami posted:

The usual FGO gacha tactic is to miserly save all your quartz until there's a rate up gacha with someone you're aiming for, dump all of it, and then cry over your pile of 4 star CEs.
this is my kinda game

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shinjobi posted:

Eventually, Angra Mainyu will be added to the Friend gacha.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Shinjobi posted:

There are some 1-3 star servants that can carry you through hard fights before you build up a decent pool of 4-5 star servants. Kojiro Sasaki, 1 star assassin gained meme status in JP as "The Savior of France" for how hard he carried people through the first chapter. Cuchulain and Euryale are very highly regarded for similar reasons.

You can burn 3 star servants for Mana Prisms that you can convert into normal gacha single roll tickets.

During events, certain CE's give you bonuses and the FP usually has the 3 star CE for the event added. So it's a cheap way to get an event bonus if you don't want to roll on the normal gacha.

And then, of course, to get your waifu or husbando.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
No coloured usernames in the English version, game is ruined.

Which of these starts is more keepable?
  • Hercules/Martha/Limited Zero Over
  • Lancelot/Emiya/Siegfried/Kaleidoscope/Heaven's Feel
I feel like the first set has better synergy but the second one has better coverage?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pureauthor posted:

Lancelot's 'Eternal Arms Mastery' got translated as 'Infinite Military Training'.

I've been told the japanese name's supposed to imply "dude was constantly developing his skills", rather than "this is everlasting proof of his skill", so this's actually closer to the intended meaning. Still awkward, though.

Bakanogami posted:

FGO doesn't have anything quite like godfests, but they'll often pick 1-2 servants and give a special gacha that gives them a moderate rate up

Just for the record empirical testing has shown roughly 60% of qualifying rolls fall within the pickup, so while the overall chances are still pretty bad the rateup itself is pretty significant.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Shinjobi posted:

Among other things, pure grist for the mill in leveling your Craft Essences. Past level 40 or so, CEs require a loving lot of experience to level.

Also yeah, it does have a shot at giving you 3*s, and early in your career some of those people are straight killers.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did they literally go out of their way to change the little indicator that a servant will do extra damage from saying "Weak" (in English) to "Effective"? Are they just going for pokemon comparisons?

EDIT: wow this translation is pretty poo poo

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 26, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bakanogami posted:

Did they literally go out of their way to change the little indicator that a servant will do extra damage from saying "Weak" (in English) to "Effective"? Are they just going for pokemon comparisons?

the quality of the translation can't be helped

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
so how many stories scenes do I have to go through before rerolling?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My only 4*+ character from my tutorial and first rolls was Berserker. I guess that is grounds for rerolling? Also, I thought we were supposed to be able to pick a 4* tutorial roll character, but I did not see where to do that.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Tired Moritz posted:

so how many stories scenes do I have to go through before rerolling?

A few, but you can skip them straight to each tutorial fight.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

the quality of the translation can't be helped
:golfclap:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My only 4*+ character from my tutorial and first rolls was Berserker. I guess that is grounds for rerolling? Also, I thought we were supposed to be able to pick a 4* tutorial roll character, but I did not see where to do that.
No he's numerically the best, you lucked out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Largepotato posted:

A few, but you can skip them straight to each tutorial fight.

So how do you get the free 4* star servant?

gently caress this is so confusing, where's the reroll guide?

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 26, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Rerolling is literally deleting your app and redownloading again.

The free 4* Servant is apparently 'details to be announced later' thing so who knows.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Oh, I guess I'll reroll for Emiya then

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

1. Start game
2. Follow tutorial, skipping all cut scenes, until you're forced to do a roll for servants.
3. Roll for servants. You can skip a lot of the animations by tapping the screen repeatedly.
4. Play through the next tutorial mission where it lets you use a friend support.
5. Now that you have control, claim ~44 quartz from login bonuses.
6. Do additional Story summon rolls with as many of those quartz as you like; prefer the "roll 10 times" option to the "roll once" option.
7. Get a transfer number in My Room in case you want to come back to this account or give it to someone else.
8. If you want to roll again, uninstall/reinstall the app and go to 1.

There are technically alternatives to uninstalling and reinstalling, but it has to redownload most of the game data either way so you don't save much time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Tired Moritz posted:

If you're skipping the prologue:

(on android)
1) Start the app/download, load into the game proper accepting the ToU etc
2) When the initial scene comes up, skip it
3) Play the tutorial battle
4) Skip scene
5) Enter name, you can change it later
6) Skip scene, fight, skip etc until the forced 10-roll
6a) Yorokobe shounen, despair is come
7) do the next fight etc
8) you are now free to gather your free stuff and do another 10-roll
9) if both of these are not to your liking, close app, go into your settings -> apps -> Fate_GO -> storage -> clear data
10) repeat, yorokobe
11) if you find a roll you'd like to keep (including one in your pocket as you go), go to My Room -> Bind Code -> follow instructions.

We'll be getting the free 4* outside of the tutorial roll somewhat later. You can't get it now.

I laughed, then sighed, then cried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It isn't letting me add my stuff to the friend list document, but, here's me

Stigrbrand
FC: 455,059,060