Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

who''s hyped for the FREE AGENT FRENZY

I, uh, can't wait for a third line RW and RHD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

ElwoodCuse posted:

yall are really concerned about who is going to play 4th line for a team whose biggest obstacle to a 3rd straight Stanley Cup is fatigue

Nobody cares, except calling it a bad trade. But go ahead and recite your narrative of everyone else freaking out when it's PAS writing the paragraphs.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Hey did you guys know the Penguins traded a future skilled player and current kind of skilled player for a guy that's not an NHLer? Cool poo poo, good trade on their part of getting rid of some of that depth for no reason at all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They didn't trade a future skilled player. This trade is bad because Reaves is a negative player. That's it. Sundquist is not a potential skilled NHLer and the guy they were going to pick at 31 wasn't any more likely to be a skilled NHLer than the guy they picked at 51. (there's a good chance it was the same guy being picked either way, team draft boards are weird like that sometimes).

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Helene St. James, who essentially writes on behalf of Holland, suggested the Red Wings go after Vanek and one of Daley or Girardi.

So, no, I'm not excited for free agency.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Can someone end this dumb conversation by offering Girardi a five-year-contract or something

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
That's Ken Holland's music

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I'm sure Bergevin will draft a contract right after he deals Galchenyuk for peanuts.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Stiev Awt posted:

I'm sure Bergevin will draft a contract right after he deals Galchenyuk for peanuts.

Silly person, peanuts can't sign contracts. I'm sure Bergevin will try anyways, though.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

ElwoodCuse posted:

yall are really concerned about who is going to play 4th line for a team whose biggest obstacle to a 3rd straight Stanley Cup is fatigue

Bright side... No World Cup this year = more rest!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

i am the bird posted:

Helene St. James, who essentially writes on behalf of Holland, suggested the Red Wings go after Vanek and one of Daley or Girardi.

Vanek wouldn't be awful if they can get him on the cheap. The other 2 though, gross.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
is nashville letting mike fisher walk. also is cbj letting sam gagner walk. i'd take either of them on a short deal

thornton too, but not for 5m+ and not for over 2 years. ditto marleau

oh i'd also take bonino, if he were available

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm curious to see what Calgary does with their remaining cap space (15M). I'd think they're re-signing Bennett and Chiasson, probably not Versteeg (or if they do it's hopefully for less money) or almost definitely not Elliott.

If he wasn't going after such a HUGE contract I'd have interest in Radulov, but that's a mighty long deal for a 30 year old.

a false posted:

is nashville letting mike fisher walk.

I believe the story circulating during the finals was the finals were it for him, win or lose

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mike Fisher is not allowed to leave Nashville.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I'm back from Rhode Island. I just want everyone to know that I was driving in Mass. listening to the draft on the radio when Detroit was on the clock and I was yelling/chanting "RASMUSSEN" for a solid 60 seconds before they announced the pick and then I nearly pissed myself laughing

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

a false posted:

is nashville letting mike fisher walk. also is cbj letting sam gagner walk. i'd take either of them on a short deal

thornton too, but not for 5m+ and not for over 2 years. ditto marleau

oh i'd also take bonino, if he were available

I would also like a lot of good players for under market value, but I really hope the Rangers go wild in trying to acquire good players under age 27. Considering the going rate for guys like Hall, Eberle, and Hamonic, I'm hoping they work some magic with someone like Galchenyuk or Mackinnon or Landeskog.

Please no more old guys. Shattenkirk is cool because he'll turn 35 at the very end of a seven year deal, which is also two years after the CBA expires. They've got the cap room to sign him in the 7m range.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Carrie Underwood posted:

Mike Fisher is not allowed to leave Nashville.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

They didn't trade a future skilled player. This trade is bad because Reaves is a negative player. That's it. Sundquist is not a potential skilled NHLer and the guy they were going to pick at 31 wasn't any more likely to be a skilled NHLer than the guy they picked at 51. (there's a good chance it was the same guy being picked either way, team draft boards are weird like that sometimes).

That's what I said except you took out the part where the guys St Louis got might be good (because they might be good)?

There's also a difference between sure he might've been available at 51 and he might not be better than the guy at 51 but either way he's a guy projected to go in the top 20 who fell to 31 and was ranked much, much higher on some lists. The Blues might've just stolen a guy and gotten Reaves off their roster at the same time.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i am the bird posted:

her whole logic was basically "tanking...BAD!" because colorado ended up with the 4th pick, which she probably doesn't realize is way better than the 9th pick. otoh, ken holland could get 1st overall and gently caress it up.

e: for anyone that wants to read this garbage

quote:

The goal for the Wings next season is to make the playoffs. [...]

What makes sense on July 1 is to bring back forward Thomas Vanek on a two-year deal averaging no more than $3 million a season. [...]

The Wings also should consider signing one of defensemen Dan Girardi or Trevor Daley for a year – two at most – to help the back end. [...]

If the Wings slip out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline, flip the players for picks. [...]

The Wings have good young assets in Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha, Evgeny Svechnikov, Tyler Bertuzzi and Athanasiou. The 2017 draft saw the Wings stock up on big defensemen who can move the puck, and big centers.
Let Larkin and company mature and grow into their prime years as the Wings try to sustain themselves via the draft, possibly the trade market. Free agency this summer best serves as an avenue to improve the décor rather than set the foundation.
there are so many things wrong with this article, even outside these few excerpts, but the bolded and italicized part aptly illustrates the disconnect between holland & co. and reality.

Gio fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 26, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holland would take a high draft pick and immediately trade it for another 3rd line grinder. He'd toss more into the deal if the guy was Michigan-born.

E: Oh hey the babby schenn thing. I don't mind Philly offloading him for picks since it's not like they're in win-now mode anyway. Yeah Lehtera isn't great but Schenn was goddamn awful at 5v5 and from what I can tell, Lehtera is at least a touch better there. He's drat sure not replacing Schenn on the power play, that's for sure (I'm guessing one of the younger guys will be headed to his spot), but even if the power play takes a hit overall it's not as if we're aiming to be a contender this year anyway.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 26, 2017

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Gio posted:

her whole logic was basically "tanking...BAD!" because colorado ended up with the 4th pick, which she probably doesn't realize is way better than the 9th pick. otoh, ken holland could get 1st overall and gently caress it up.

e: for anyone that wants to read this garbage

there are so many things wrong with this article, even outside these few excerpts, but the bolded and italicized part aptly illustrates the disconnect between holland & co. and reality.
:cripes: It's not even tanking to just roll the young kids out there and see how they do. What you shouldn't do is go out and sign a bunch of middling players who will make the team slightly more competitive and end up with a lower draft pick as a result. It's just slowing down the process and taking roster spots from other players.
Oh well, I fully expect 2 years of Jiri Hudler or and Giradi come July 1

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Holland would take a high draft pick and immediately trade it for another 3rd line grinder. He'd toss more into the deal if the guy was Michigan-born.

E: Oh hey the babby schenn thing. I don't mind Philly offloading him for picks since it's not like they're in win-now mode anyway. Yeah Lehtera isn't great but Schenn was goddamn awful at 5v5 and from what I can tell, Lehtera is at least a touch better there. He's drat sure not replacing Schenn on the power play, that's for sure (I'm guessing one of the younger guys will be headed to his spot), but even if the power play takes a hit overall it's not as if we're aiming to be a contender this year anyway.

I've never been a fan of either Schenn, and Braydon i felt was always super overrated.

I was about to post the Flyers could sneak in to a wild card spot, young players, Nolan Patrick, etc. then I thought of the defense and goaltending and....yeah it may not be a good year for the Flyers.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Please no more old guys. Shattenkirk is cool because he'll turn 35 at the very end of a seven year deal, which is also two years after the CBA expires. They've got the cap room to sign him in the 7m range.

Yeah I know people weren't thrilled with Shattenkirk while with Washington but he honestly helped the PP a lot and he seems like a really good fit with NYR. He'd be overpaid at $7M but not at LOL level of overpaid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Washington's not going to be happy with any trade that doesn't result in a Cup, so whatever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I was about to post the Flyers could sneak in to a wild card spot, young players, Nolan Patrick, etc. then I thought of the defense and goaltending and....yeah it may not be a good year for the Flyers.

Nolan Patrick is not a replacement for Brayden Schenn in 2017-18. Maybe in a few years, but he's more than likely going to peak at a player marginally above Schenn's level as it is. I just figured this was a straight mix things up just because Flyers move.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

clean ayers act posted:

:cripes: It's not even tanking to just roll the young kids out there and see how they do. What you shouldn't do is go out and sign a bunch of middling players who will make the team slightly more competitive and end up with a lower draft pick as a result. It's just slowing down the process and taking roster spots from other players.
Oh well, I fully expect 2 years of Jiri Hudler or and Giradi come July 1
exactly. she says signing girardi and vanek are needed stop-gaps, but...stop-gaps for who? their current prospect pool isn't that good. it sure as poo poo ain't a future powerhouse in the making.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Oh yeah I missed all the talk about that. What the hell was the point of trading Brayden Schenn? He's 25 and reliably scores 20+ a season. Over the last four seasons he's top 50 in total goals scored. I mean I get that he does a lot of it on the PP but so what? Goals are goals. It just didn't make any sense to me but I see people saying it's a win for Philly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I've never been a fan of either Schenn, and Braydon i felt was always super overrated.

Nah they could make a WC spot, even with the current blue line and goaltending, but I get the feeling this year is largely to see who makes the team out of camp/preseason. Hextall's still in the long game but I get the feeling now is the time they're going to start moving up more of the prospects from juniors or the Phantoms and finally let them get some experience.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Oh yeah I missed all the talk about that. What the hell was the point of trading Brayden Schenn? He's 25 and reliably scores 20+ a season. Over the last four seasons he's top 50 in total goals scored. I mean I get that he does a lot of it on the PP but so what? Goals are goals. It just didn't make any sense to me but I see people saying it's a win for Philly.

In terms of player-for-player yeah it's not a great look but he's horrendous at 5v5 and doesn't drive play. I think Hextall wanted the picks more than anything.

E: Charlie O'Connor has a good breakdown of it

quote:

And this is where the Flyers’ current situation comes into play. The heart of this deal is an assumption from Hextall that the short term downgrade from Schenn to Lehtera is outweighed by the long-term value of two additional first round picks. If the Flyers were in the hunt for a Stanley Cup title, this wouldn’t be a smart move to make, as maximizing on-ice value in the here and now wins out in those situations. But no one is realistically expecting a team that missed the playoffs last season and will be breaking in between three and six rookies to be a title contender in 2017-18.

Maybe, if everything breaks right, the Flyers go full Leafs next year and hit 2018-19 as a trendy pick to take the next step into title contention. In that scenario, they probably miss Schenn. But general managers can’t deal in “maybes.” At this stage of the Flyers’ retooling process, they need cost-controlled assets with upside more than anything else. That’s why, in the moment, it’s hard to fault Hextall for turning Brayden Schenn into two first round picks.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 26, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reaves entertaining hockey player who I will miss watching, am uninterested in unreadable charts.

Am unexcited about Brayden Schenn at that salary for that long.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DJExile posted:

In terms of player-for-player yeah it's not a great look but he's horrendous at 5v5 and doesn't drive play. I think Hextall wanted the picks more than anything.

I mean, I guess that makes sense to me. Most players don't turn into 20 goal scorers though and I think having two "maybes" is worse than one sure thing. I suppose Hextall could always use the other 1st rounder as part of a deal or something.

bewbies posted:

Am unexcited about Brayden Schenn at that salary for that long.

Seems fine to me. 5mil or whatever is maybe a bit much, but not offensively so, and he'll only be 28 when it ends so St. Louis is still getting some of his best years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The flyers aren't in win-now mode though (the blues may as well be), so near-term goal scoring doesn't do a lot for them anyway when they're still calling up more rookies and working out the rebuild. Brayden Schenn's a good player but I don't think he's quite been a "core" guy or however it's phrased these days.

Also apparently Steve Mason is still a possibility to come back because that whole hilarious saga refuses to die.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

You know Hakstol is gonna give Lehtera 20 mins a game over the actual good young players

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You know Hakstol is gonna give Lehtera 20 mins a game over the actual good young players

Y'know on one hand, yeah I get why you'd say that, but on the other it seems like a lot of Hak's favorite players have been shipped off (or taken), and the hiring of Knoblauch was likely a shot across his bow. At this point Hak doesn't seem like he's been given a lot of choice.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Phoenix talking to Todd Nelson about being their hockey coach.

I've been saying this for years but this guy is one of the best hockey coaches I've ever seen and some NHL team is going to win big if they finally sign him instead of some wrung out fat fucker who won cupz back in the dot com era.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DJExile posted:

The flyers aren't in win-now mode though (the blues may as well be), so near-term goal scoring doesn't do a lot for them anyway when they're still calling up more rookies and working out the rebuild. Brayden Schenn's a good player but I don't think he's quite been a "core" guy or however it's phrased these days.

That's a fair point. If they're not in a win-now mode it makes sense to maximize the return and trade him now since he's not likely to get any better, or cheaper, by the time younger guys are ready. And you're right that Schenn doesn't strike me as the type of expensive veteran type you'd want to still have around 3-4 years from now compared to Giroux/Voracek/Wayne. I guess I was mostly just surprised he was moved at all since it kind of came out of nowhere

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hakstol has that same panicked look permanently affixed to his face that I remember Mike Johnston having. I can't believe the Flyers haven't fired him yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That's a fair point. If they're not in a win-now mode it makes sense to maximize the return and trade him now since he's not likely to get any better, or cheaper, by the time younger guys are ready. And you're right that Schenn doesn't strike me as the type of expensive veteran type you'd want to still have around 3-4 years from now compared to Giroux/Voracek/Wayne. I guess I was mostly just surprised he was moved at all since it kind of came out of nowhere

Yeah, I think for Flyers fans this isn't a surprise. Schenn has been, at best invisible on 5-5 for multiple seasons, so a lot of people have soured on him. Schenn for 2 first round picks is a win.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Oh yeah it was totally out of the blue, no question of that. There was no talk of Brayden being shopped around or anything. I think Hextall just jumped at the chance to get 2 first rounders.

Ginette Reno posted:

Hakstol has that same panicked look permanently affixed to his face that I remember Mike Johnston having. I can't believe the Flyers haven't fired him yet.

He's likely on a really short leash this year, and now most of his favorite players are gone, and now there's a new assistant that by all rights is going to be a head coach sooner than later. I get the feeling Hak survives the season unless it's an absolute disaster. I mean yeah he's made plenty of weird decisions lately but it's not as if the last couple seasons have mattered much anyway in the big picture. Hextall's been more than patient with him but I'd have to imagine at this point there has to be some progress shown for the season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Here's a list of the players up for HHOF induction today, and my thoughts:

Lock: Selanne
Should be in already: Recchi, Kariya, Barrasso
Possible: Alfredsson, Fleury, Andreychuk
No Way: Joseph, Roenick

You can look over the whole list here: https://www.hhof.com/mobile/html/Induction/ind17prologEligibility.html

I am pretty big on Kariya. Maybe I am looking at him too fondly with nostalgia, but there was a five-year period where he was definitely one of the top-5 players in the league. Maybe his case for the Hall is better if he actually wins the Hart over Hasek in '97, and if he gets 11 more points to hit 1000, but I don't think those things should hinder him. I am also not really a small Hall guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Selanne is a lock. Recchi should finally get in. I still think it's wild that Andreychuk isn't in considering he has 600+ goals.

• Locked thread