Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The only time i ever used infusions in 1 was on challenge runs and i finished that game over a dozen times. And yes, its lock on restricting you to 4 way rolling is by far the worst in the series. So yes, DS1 owns, people are having serious nostalgia memory holes, and neither of these facts are new or surprising in any way.

I just replayed it and still prefer the slower deliberate nature to DS3 and BB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ds2 is the best in terms of that imo

also infusions are convoluted as poo poo and mostly just suck rear end in ds1 unless you are playing a caster

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess I was just thinking of the lightning and chaos infusions. I thought they were cool.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They're good early on but they're worse than a high leveled normal weapon later because they remove scaling, and since you can only get them relatively late in the game there's a fairly narrow time when they're useful unless you're playing a low level character

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Your Computer posted:

What? DS1 had the worst infusion system* and DS3 is the first game I even bother infusing my weapons because in DS1/2 it was almost always better to just never infuse and just go normal.

*if we don't count Demon's Souls obviously

What

DS2 had some wild infusions and infusing was almost always great.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

What

DS2 had some wild infusions and infusing was almost always great.

I always gravitate towards quality-type builds unless I'm doing a specific gimmick and I don't think DS2 had anything to suit that. DS3 letting you "steer" a weapon more into dex/str/quality is the best thing ever and opens up so many options, and that's mostly what I'm basing it on :v:

You could do some fun stuff with elemental infusions in DS2, and the word "mundane" will never be the same after DS2 that's for sure.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DS2's infusions were best solely because they didn't have that incredibly stupid restriction on weapon buffs.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Weapon buffs are tedious

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Weapon infusion and buffing would get kind neurotic in DS2. Every dweeb on the Iron bridge pvp zone buffed their weapon like crazy.
I have seen people, who would infuse Loyce GS and Fume UGS and ruin perfecy good scaling along the way.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OutofSight posted:

Weapon infusion and buffing would get kind neurotic in DS2. Every dweeb on the Iron bridge pvp zone buffed their weapon like crazy.
As in every dark souls game, you should run up to them and hit them while they're applying buffs. There's no reason you should let them apply a bunch of buffs for free.

always really funny when people have a HOW DARE YOU reaction to interrupting their 5 buffs in ds3 duels

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

IronicDongz posted:

As in every dark souls game, you should run up to them and hit them while they're applying buffs. There's no reason you should let them apply a bunch of buffs for free.

always really funny when people have a HOW DARE YOU reaction to interrupting their 5 buffs in ds3 duels

But..but my e-honor. Remember the code of precious youtube bushido.

(Not really)

I mostly preferred to get summoned. So they already stand there with a buffed weapon, which of course meant you had to play reactive and avoid them until their cute buff runned out.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Your Computer posted:

You could do some fun stuff with elemental infusions in DS2, and the word "mundane" will never be the same after DS2 that's for sure.

The other great thing about DS2 infusions was the connection of a tool's elemental attack properties to its spell damage, instead of MajAdjust/Spell Buff. That not only made how tools' power worked more transparent, it also allowed you to tweak those properties through infusion. Plus you had some neat cases where you could take a weapon with a special attack and use an infusion to make it nuts. For example, you can infuse an Ice Rapier with Magic (which barely touches the physical damage while adding tons of magic) and massively increase the damage of its projectile. You can then buff the weapon which will make the projectile do even more damage, to the point that it's actually stronger than a Soul Spear, with only a trivial investment in Int needed (10 for Magic Weapon). And that's not even getting into the special attack of a dark-infused Sanctum Crossbow, which can do well over 1k damage.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

IronicDongz posted:

i will attack you as soon as you finish bowing. who lets people buff up lmao? figure out how to do it while im trying to kill you w my dark caestus.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
RE: Buffs. I love that 3 just gives you that throwing item that wipes buffs. Nothing seems to piss off duelists quite as much as just chucking one of those right at the start.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

RE: Buffs. I love that 3 just gives you that throwing item that wipes buffs. Nothing seems to piss off duelists quite as much as just chucking one of those right at the start.

"But it's called a duel charm, how can you say it's not dueling when it's right in the name?"

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
http://i.imgur.com/wTz5CVP.mp4

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly I have more respect for the hatemail seeking invasion trolls than I've ever had for the "muh honor" e-bushido types.

At least the former seem to be motivated by their genuine enjoyment rather than e-peen measuring like the latter.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

If you throw a knife at Friede, you can see it stuck to her even when she turns invisible :laugh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

If you throw a knife at Friede, you can see it stuck to her even when she turns invisible :laugh:

Ditto for arrows, and archery is very useful against her and her pet sub. Knocks her off-balance when she's just getting ready to combo one of your allies to death.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

This is perfect dark souls.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Under the vegetable posted:

i will attack you as soon as you finish bowing. who lets people buff up lmao?
Seemingly a whole lot of people. I've gotten angry messages about running forward and smacking people at the start of the match.

I will also attack people who stand around bowing because I am here to fight motherfucker we don't need to waste like 8 seconds at the start of every match

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'll coop help you kill her tonight after work if you need help.

Managed to luckily get past her. Then I farmed that knight by the bonfire in Lothric Castle up to 28 VIG/END and the rest of the game was dramatically easier. Basically coasted to the end of the regular game and through the first DLC. Thanks thread. This dreg heap is some tedious bullshit though.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 25, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ds3 arena gives plenty of time for people to whatever. If someone is mad they got rushed they're a baby and need to go down to one buff

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I always enjoyed getting invaded in Heide's tower. The invader would always stop on the bridge to apply is 19 buffs. Unfortunately for him the greatbow would come out :getin:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Just moved on to NG+2 in my quest for Platinum.

I was an rear end in a top hat with the Millwood bow for long enough to get 30 vertebra shackles and get the Pyromancy trophy. I also did the Lord of Hollows ending. Now I just have 4 trophies left: the rings, the 3rd ending, and I need one more each for Miracles and Gestures.

Farming up the Wolf Grass is going to be the biggest pain in the rear end. I played with the Wolf covenant badge equipped for about 2 hours and didn't get 1 hit.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
It's boring, but I farmed 30 wolf blood swordgrass from the 3 ghru guys at the Keep Ruins bonfire because I wanted the shield.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Is the shield any good

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Is the shield any good

It's probably the best greatshield overall. Good resistances, non-crippling weight/requirements, and has Weapon Skill instead of Bash.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

Just moved on to NG+2 in my quest for Platinum.

I was an rear end in a top hat with the Millwood bow for long enough to get 30 vertebra shackles and get the Pyromancy trophy. I also did the Lord of Hollows ending. Now I just have 4 trophies left: the rings, the 3rd ending, and I need one more each for Miracles and Gestures.

Farming up the Wolf Grass is going to be the biggest pain in the rear end. I played with the Wolf covenant badge equipped for about 2 hours and didn't get 1 hit.

You're better off rolling a new char and doing that covenant < SL30 with a +2 weapon. You'll generally get hits all day long.

If you know what you're doing you can get to that area in under an hour. Then mule the ring to your NG+2 char for the achievement. Still counts because you earned it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm getting conflicting info on it, are Demon's Souls multiplayer servers still up? Some places say yes in 2017 others no in 2012. I can't connect so I assume not.

e: Nevermind reloading a few times got it, though the terms of service are hosed and garbled. Weird!

I wonder if I'll find any phantoms, friendly or otherwise.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 26, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It's probably the best greatshield overall. Good resistances, non-crippling weight/requirements, and has Weapon Skill instead of Bash.

Ugh time to kill 1000 goats

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

Seemingly a whole lot of people. I've gotten angry messages about running forward and smacking people at the start of the match.

I will also attack people who stand around bowing because I am here to fight motherfucker we don't need to waste like 8 seconds at the start of every match
I am glad I'm a filthy casual when it comes to PvP because that means, at most, I just get very confused when I'm a purple bro and the Co-Op horde I've been hanging out with and didn't bat an eye at me accidentally stabbing the host in the fact with a flamberge while fighting giant crabs or something…

Will all flip the gently caress out, murder me, and downpoint spam over my corpse when I heal the host and/or his phantoms with a miracle.

It happened at launch repeatedly. It's happened since I dusted this game off one of the few times I did some purple bro for giggles. What is happening? I grasp getting ganked when I spawn in. I get getting stabbed in the face when I bow back to a guy who bowed first even when red signs are involved. I accept getting killed off eventually because I'm still technically an Invader as a purple bro. But this just baffles me for some reason.

Nearest I can figure, is that the prayer animation vaguely sorta kinda looks like the crystal animation? Which means they think I'm trying to "Escape" from point blank range despite the obvious chime, chime sounds, and their health bar going up if they don't backstab me mid animation?

That and people coming after my purple dude harder than they do Red phantoms who need to kill the host to "win". Guys, if I kill this red phantom i just backstabbed, that means I get my purple bro cookie. Bluecop, why are you backstabbing me so the red phantom can escape and heal himself then murder the host because you're too busy trying to kill me while I toss throwing daggers at the Red phantom between dodges?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 26, 2017

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis

RBA Starblade posted:

BTW if you guys haven't played them Dark Souls the board game and Bloodborne the card game are both pretty good. The board game's purely co-op while Bloodborne's about having the most points at the end so you're encouraged to dick each other over.

I've been wanting to try out a copy of the board game at a local TTG store but I'm not sure that the game is even out in the EU yet. Is it actually fun? I've heard that it's grinding for souls in tabletop form and that if your regular group doesn't enjoy repetition and pattern recognition (i.e. anyone who didn't like the actual video games) then they won't enjoy the game. I'm tempted to buy the set just to paint the miniatures but I have a box set of Imperial Assault minis gathering dust because my regular group got tired of playing that game and it also cost me over $100 sooooo

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I have remained on a DS1 binge lately, due to my attempts at a no-death run. Also rolled up a couple of other fun chars to play with. One is a Depths invader using a Lightning Shotel and a Chaos Uchi. SL30. The playerbase is still pretty populated. It's rare that I don't get a hit when invading and get invaded fairly often myself. Luckily for me, 99% of the people playing don't know important things like: the Shotel's R2 ignores shields. PLEASE keep turtling. PLEASE. annnnd Dead. :v:

Most of them seemingly don't know what a Lloyd's Talisman does either, and will not even attempt to move if you toss one. Every time I see the "why won't this flask work?" animation I get slightly more erect.

I would agree that I'm not sure the elemental infusions have much use past mid-game or so in DS1. They are perfect at SL30, since my build is basically minimum stats to use the weapon, and relies on the infusions for damage. At SL30, both the Lightning Shotel and the Chaos Uchi have ARs of 500+. In practice they both hit for close to 300 against other players, and for close to true value against mobs. Even before they were both maxed out, they both got me past all the post-Lordvessel bosses with relative ease. Seath basically melted. Four Kings was only 3 Kings. Bed of Chaos was...typical. Haven't done Nito yet, but don't anticipate any trouble there either.

Also found this video posted over on Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5PdpsfINA

it's a critique of the Soulsborne series.....kinda. Dude has a real hard-on for Demon's Souls, and while I agree with many of his points, a few of them are downright stupid. With the most glaring one being him basically saying that Dancer would have been really cool as a boss in Demon's, but since she's in DS3, it's not cool because too many other bosses are just roll spam bosses. :rolleyes:

At any rate, fairly interesting watch if you have some time to spare.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

I am glad I'm a filthy casual when it comes to PvP because that means, at most, I just get very confused when I'm a purple bro and the Co-Op horde I've been hanging out with and didn't bat an eye at me accidentally stabbing the host in the fact with a flamberge while fighting giant crabs or something…

Will all flip the gently caress out, murder me, and downpoint spam over my corpse when I heal the host and/or his phantoms with a miracle.

It happened at launch repeatedly. It's happened since I dusted this game off one of the few times I did some purple bro for giggles. What is happening? I grasp getting ganked when I spawn in. I get getting stabbed in the face when I bow back to a guy who bowed first even when red signs are involved. I accept getting killed off eventually because I'm still technically an Invader as a purple bro. But this just baffles me for some reason.

Nearest I can figure, is that the prayer animation vaguely sorta kinda looks like the crystal animation? Which means they think I'm trying to "Escape" from point blank range despite the obvious chime, chime sounds, and their health bar going up if they don't backstab me mid animation?

That and people coming after my purple dude harder than they do Red phantoms who need to kill the host to "win". Guys, if I kill this red phantom i just backstabbed, that means I get my purple bro cookie. Bluecop, why are you backstabbing me so the red phantom can escape and heal himself then murder the host because you're too busy trying to kill me while I toss throwing daggers at the Red phantom between dodges?

Going purple is asking for trouble because you're a big fat free-for-all target. Your pal Yuria will sell you fake phantom rings so you can disguise as a white phantom/host of embers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Demon's Souls is basically baby mode coming from every other game. It's still a lot of fun though! I went ahead and chose to play as a female royal because int/dex is always a fun way to go.

quote:

The playerbase is still pretty populated. It's rare that I don't get a hit when invading and get invaded fairly often myself.

Are people doing things again? It was pretty empty my last few times through it. Not completely abandoned but I'd only see a summon sign once in a blue moon or get invaded maybe twice ever.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Purple covenant is the dumbest missed opportunity ever. You don't know if the guy you summoned wants to fight or co-op... except there's no way for them to effectively co-op because they can't assist you with the area boss or get a reward for co-opping.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that might actually be the dumbest and most whiny video matthewmatosis has put out to date

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

HaB posted:

Also found this video posted over on Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5PdpsfINA

it's a critique of the Soulsborne series.....kinda. Dude has a real hard-on for Demon's Souls, and while I agree with many of his points, a few of them are downright stupid. With the most glaring one being him basically saying that Dancer would have been really cool as a boss in Demon's, but since she's in DS3, it's not cool because too many other bosses are just roll spam bosses. :rolleyes:

At any rate, fairly interesting watch if you have some time to spare.

I always find a lot of Soulsborne series analysis to be pretty tedious, especially when the reviewer/analyzer is completely incapable of acknowledging or seperating out their own biases from the review/analysis (looking at you here JosephAnderson, hbomberguy, matthewmitosis, Mitch L, Fungo, and [Insert basically every soulsborne youtuber here]).

The only ones that i've actually found very insightful were the ones that had a bit more of a broad game analysis background like Superbunnyhop and Game Maker's Toolkit with a few obvious exceptions listed previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LordAbaddon posted:

I always find a lot of Soulsborne series analysis to be pretty tedious, especially when the reviewer/analyzer is completely incapable of acknowledging or seperating out their own biases from the review/analysis (looking at you here JosephAnderson, hbomberguy, matthewmitosis, Mitch L, Fungo, and [Insert basically every soulsborne youtuber here]).

The only ones that i've actually found very insightful were the ones that had a bit more of a broad game analysis background like Superbunnyhop and Game Maker's Toolkit with a few obvious exceptions listed previously.

yet again lobosjr is the best as when people harrass him to rate whatever game he's playing he just always says "eh, it's a good game but DS1 is my favorite". he really doesn't like inflicting his opinions on people outside of the lone retrospective video he has for each installment, which is pretty heavily couched in "this is just how I feel about these games".