Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Hey, it's this again. I may or may not participate this time. I do enjoy the summer jam, but I'm not sure if I will be able to dedicate the free time to it.

I did just get my hands on a fancy drawing tablet, though, so maybe I could try my hand at something with HAND-DRAWN GRAPHICS. (Note: I am very much a programmer and not an artist but who cares)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
gently caress yes. Get to redeem myself! Sign me up.

I can do 3D art and program, but not both at the same time. If you'd like to team up, I'm the dude that did Chill Robot and Sneaking Mission. (And Düm. Still feel bad about making the judges play that one.)

I'll be filling it at work for half of our employees because 2/4 of us took vacation and we're doing our public release, but I've got a 24-pack of Redbull, a half-bottle of amphetamines, and 90% of a deathwish. Let's do this.

Older games include The Rage of Painting and Pissim 2012.

Jo fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 6, 2017

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

In

My skills include

A basic understanding of Unity/C#. If a team wants to use Phaser or some other JavaScript based engine I could bullshit my way through.
Making horrible chiptunes using Beepbox.co
Making horrible placeholder pixel art using Piskelapp.com
Fighting with Git.
Not finishing solo game jams.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am excited to find out what the theme is

afterwards i will not be excited but likely STUMPED

lagcats
Oct 7, 2014

you know the deal
ty for the heads up i wont play dat game

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

+1 vote for the theme to be STUMPED. Metal Saw: Timber Espionage Action.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

+1 vote for the theme to be STUMPED. Metal Saw: Timber Espionage Action.

Logjammin'

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Supernorn made a rad logo for this year's jam.

https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/875902906670698497

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

JonTerp posted:

Supernorn made a rad logo for this year's jam.

https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/875902906670698497

drat! With a logo like this how can I *not* participate?

Prepare a spot in the wall of shame. Here I goooooooooo :pram:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Games for Grand.... oh wait we finally did that one.

I'm looking forward to taking a break from the game I made last year to work on a new one this year :sweatdrop:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Count me in.

I'll be looking for a team though: I can either do all of the programming for the Unreal Engine or I can do design and 3D Art for whatever other engine you guys want to use. The Unreal stuff is my speciality, I guess, though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've created precisely one game before (using a tutorial even, then building on top of it), so... I'll give this a shot, why not!

Will be flying solo though. That's allowed, right? I want to try to get a holistic view of gamedev for the first time around, even if it means really lovely programmer art and music.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Last year I made the art for Loteria del Adios and the year before I worked on Deliverer. If anybody wants to help me out with the programming it would be neat but otherwise I know enough Unity that I can get by on my own.

I do need a music-making person because that's basically wizardy to me.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The artist friend I've been working with for the past 2 years worth of contests is moving to another state the second week of July, so the arbitrary delayed start date might mean I'm out an artist. I'll see what I can do, but I might end up needing an artist goon for my team.

I use Clickteam Fusion so I'll be making a 2D game... Though I'd definitely be open to designing and writing on a different type of game if a programmer is willing to do the heavy-lifting.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Hi if anybody still needs a javascript unity programmer hit me up; otherwise I kinda struggle on the solo scene.

I can also handle c# for unity but I'm a bit rusty.

I'm usually online in the #sagamedev channel on synirc, and I'm also in the awful jams discord somewhere

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

JonTerp posted:

* People that only produce audio files for your game Do not count toward your team member limit (IE: Musicians, Voice Actors, Yodelers)

Hey, can I request a small amendment to this rule? I've got a team of two programmers and an artist so far, and im messaging a musician who I might potentially be able to get to join my team. I've had talks with him about game design and development, and he's super interested in doing some game design himself. However, I've just realized that the rules as written mean that it would technically be violating the letter of the rules for him to design a puzzle, or a level, for the game we'd be working on, because he'd be producing non-music stuff.

Could you amend the rule so that people who only contribute game design, and do no code, or art, don't count towards the team limit either? It would be super appreciated!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
While you're at it, my team already has three, and I know a sick coder who wants to help out and write about half of our code, but he plays guitar, so could he not count, either?

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

Rob Filter posted:

Hey, can I request a small amendment to this rule? I've got a team of two programmers and an artist so far, and im messaging a musician who I might potentially be able to get to join my team. I've had talks with him about game design and development, and he's super interested in doing some game design himself. However, I've just realized that the rules as written mean that it would technically be violating the letter of the rules for him to design a puzzle, or a level, for the game we'd be working on, because he'd be producing non-music stuff.

Could you amend the rule so that people who only contribute game design, and do no code, or art, don't count towards the team limit either? It would be super appreciated!

You're the one who has to abide by the rules. Nobody's checking up on you. If you think it sounds fishy (which you clearly do) don't do it.

ALFbrot posted:

While you're at it, my team already has three, and I know a sick coder who wants to help out and write about half of our code, but he plays guitar, so could he not count, either?

This seems legit though.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Tube posted:

You're the one who has to abide by the rules. Nobody's checking up on you. If you think it sounds fishy (which you clearly do) don't do it.

Yeah, totally. That's the rules and for me to have a musician as current do design I'd be breaking them, which I won't do. That's why I'd personally like the rules to be slightly different. But:

ALFbrot posted:

If there are concerns about team creep, and about game design being a significant and time consuming task that needs to be part of core, then fair enough. While it would be nicer for me if things were different, this isn't my game jam.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Rob Filter posted:

Yeah, totally. That's the rules and for me to have a musician as current do design I'd be breaking them, which I won't do. That's why I'd personally like the rules to be slightly different. But:

If there are concerns about team creep, and about game design being a significant and time consuming task that needs to be part of core, then fair enough. While it would be nicer for me if things were different, this isn't my game jam.

Getting design input from a friend or the musician doesn't sound like a big deal to me. Spirit of the law not the letter sort of thing.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

awesomeolion posted:

Getting design input from a friend or the musician doesn't sound like a big deal to me. Spirit of the law not the letter sort of thing.

More flesh for The Wall I say. :black101:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Rob Filter posted:

Basically, if the person doesn't touch your game project code , art, or editor wise they don't count toward the limit.

Use your own judgement, play by the spirit of the jam.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I hope the Spirit of the Jam is an actual ghost :allears:

Looking forward to the announcement.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hammer Bro. posted:

I hope the Spirit of the Jam is an actual ghost :allears:

Looking forward to the announcement.

p sure I was informed that if you are possessed the malign spirit profaning your spiritual essence counts towards your team member total. :ghost:

Bluehay
Aug 3, 2008
This sounds like fun, always wanted to try my hand at making a game but never had a reason to actually do it. I'll be teaming up with my better half (not a goon but an avid gamer and artist, I assume that's okay?).

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
I've worked my way through most of a book about making games with ActionScript 3.0 before and also did about a dozen tutorial games in C++ a few years back. I'm pretty much an enthusiast newbie coder and would like to use my free July to participate. I am not married to any platform or language. What's a good and free framework/language/library to spend the next 1-2 weeks learning to have a decent basis to stumble myself through a basic game prototype for this jam? I'm not adverse to math, but unless it is ridiculously simple, I'd rather forego 3D for 2D.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Xibanya posted:

p sure I was informed that if you are possessed the malign spirit profaning your spiritual essence counts towards your team member total. :ghost:

As long as said spirit doesn't alter any code or assets its ok

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Shoehead posted:

As long as said spirit doesn't alter any code or assets its ok

Wish I could find it (it may have been in the SAgamedev slack that no longer exists) but I remember JonTerp personally telling me that the evil spirit possessing your corporal form counts a team member.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Xibanya posted:

Wish I could find it (it may have been in the SAgamedev slack that no longer exists) but I remember JonTerp personally telling me that the evil spirit possessing your corporal form counts a team member.

Then my corporeal form doesn't count as one though, does it? It's just my body doing the work. My spirit is busy getting pounded in the butt unironically by the physical manifestation of a right wing corruption of the idea of Chuck Tingle.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Luggage posted:

I've worked my way through most of a book about making games with ActionScript 3.0 before and also did about a dozen tutorial games in C++ a few years back. I'm pretty much an enthusiast newbie coder and would like to use my free July to participate. I am not married to any platform or language. What's a good and free framework/language/library to spend the next 1-2 weeks learning to have a decent basis to stumble myself through a basic game prototype for this jam? I'm not adverse to math, but unless it is ridiculously simple, I'd rather forego 3D for 2D.

Unreal Engine 4. :getin:

My first programming language was also Actionscript. Unreal has a visual block-and-spaghetti-based programming language that's fun, or you can go with C++. It has decent built-in tutorials and tons of great ones online. It can be used for 2D or 3D, but is mostly 3D. It's also free now.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 22, 2017

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

I can confirm I did say this and is still a standing rule. Even if you are possessed by the Spirit of the Jam.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Two weeks? Two weeks!

Getting amped for this jam.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

I can confirm I did say this and is still a standing rule. Even if you are possessed by the Spirit of the Jam.

:ms:

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

My first programming language was also Actionscript. Unreal has a visual block-and-spaghetti-based programming language that's fun, or you can go with C++. It has decent built-in tutorials and tons of great ones online. It can be used for 2D or 3D, but is mostly 3D. It's also free now.

Thanks, mate. I'll check it out. Time to get moving.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
Not sure if this helps anyone here, but apparently Corona is free now for all versions. It's a Lua-based thing, which should simplify the learning curve for non-programmers. I haven't used it, but I've heard good things from a couple of people.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

One more on that recommendation, from what I see Unreal Engine is exclusively for 3D stuff. I am definitely looking towards 2D as a beginner. Is this possible with Unreal Engine? And since they get compared a lot, how easy is 2D stuff with Unity?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

You can work in Unity in 3D or 2D without much difference and there are tutorials on basically everything.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Chernabog posted:

You can work in Unity in 3D or 2D without much difference and there are tutorials on basically everything.
Thank you sir. Think I will invest 10 bucks into a Udemy course for one of the combinations (Unity & C# or Unreal & C++), as they are both dirt cheap atm.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Luggage posted:

One more on that recommendation, from what I see Unreal Engine is exclusively for 3D stuff. I am definitely looking towards 2D as a beginner. Is this possible with Unreal Engine? And since they get compared a lot, how easy is 2D stuff with Unity?

It's entirely possible but you're not wrong. Take a Quick peek at the 2D examples and tutorials and see how most 2D stuff in that engine would be 2.5D. It's easy enough to make like a 2D platformer engine, but for handling sprites and other 2D assets in an easy and friendly way, maybe it's not the best first choice. Like with Unity it's the same engine for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Luggage posted:

My teams game, Grumpy Grandpa in the Big Breakout, won best Unreal Engine game last year. Completely sprite based 2D, completely done in Blueprint in Unreal Engine.

Seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtHmiPc9gt0

• Locked thread