Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

So far all Mike has done with Gus is knock over a truck he would have done anyway, and get some money laundered.

He loving hated Lidya by the time of Breaking Bad and was Gus's clear #2.

So I'd call this season well done setup.

He didn't hate her until she tried to have him and all his guys killed. He was even ready to forgive the first time she floated the idea of mass killings as a solution to their problem. I wouldn't say he liked her, but if they literally have no more scenes together until their first scene in Breaking Bad their would be no discontinuity in their relationship.

Likewise if Gus and Mike weren't shown, we can easily surmise the inbetween story; Mike is competent, does a good job whenever he is asked to, and Gus gradually asks more and more of him. Mike gets in so deep, with his name clearly on the books, that he has no choice but to make sure everything goes smoothly for Gus. Really the only character in that whole side of the show that we can't easily 'fill in the gaps' for is Nacho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Sure. This season shows the shift from Half-Measure Mike to Full-Measure Mike.

Half-Measure Mike refused to kill Tuco and believed he could solve the situation non-lethally, which only got him involved further in the Salamanca's business. Instead of going after Hector directly when they threatened his family, Half-Measure Mike went after Hector's business, and inadvertently got an innocent bystander killed because of it. Going after Hector at that point is too-little-too-late and has more to do with Mike's own pride coming back at him than any personal threat Hector poses.

In season 3 Gus offers Mike full measures. If you really want to get revenge against Hector, instead of killing him go all the way and make sure he suffers for his crimes. If you really want to support your family, don't just scrape by with piddly odd jobs. Go all the way and make big money and get all of it for yourself. We even see the side story of Mike with the widow, where he realizes if he's going to get justice for the Samaritan, he's going to go all the way and make sure the Samaritan doesn't just get disappeared. His advice to Nacho echoes this: if you're going to make your own pass at Hector, make sure you don't gently caress it up, make sure it doesn't come back to you.

Mike showing up to Lydia's office is the birth of Full-Measure Mike. He's no longer a former cop that does odd jobs on the side to support his family. He's a criminal with a cover identity. We even see him take ownership of the cover identity Gus offers him when he gives himself the title of "security consultant."

The whole point of Mike's arc in Breaking Bad was that he was full of poo poo and did take half measures though. I guess finding a mentor who generally didn't in Gus was what he needed to keep him in line, though the one thing Gus did half way turned out to be his downfall too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also Saul has never been a monster. There's a difference between screwing over some people, and screwing over others. I can even picture Breaking Bad Saul feeling bad for utterly wrecking the life of a sweet old lady and her two cats.

Saul literally suggested/tried to facilitate the assassination of several people over the series.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

No he didn't, he just asked about it because Walter is a bonkers client and was trying to understand his goals. Less "just kill the guy" and more "...why not just kill the guy?"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Doctor Reynolds posted:

No he didn't, he just asked about it because Walter is a bonkers client and was trying to understand his goals. Less "just kill the guy" and more "...why not just kill the guy?"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15nfmd_saul-goodman-kidnapped-by-the-meth-cooking-duo_fun

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

I'd say that clip is backing up their point. It's a "why not?"

Saul is operating at different stakes to Jimmy and within the context of dealing with drug dealers it makes sense for him to suggest that. It's not like he's going to be the one to actually carry it out. Not that that makes it ok.

Edit: also Jessie and Walt are probably showing a confusing level of empathy towards their underlings potentially talking to the DEA to what he's used to.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 25, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

He did do everything in his power to try and convince Walt to get back into cooking meth, after he had clearly stated he was done with it. Maybe not monstrous, but a different person may have taken the "perhaps that's for the best" route. It's possible Saul was 'motivated' to take this course of action by Mike and Gus.

He also has no qualms pulling cons on people for his clients, cheating them of significant assets (Jessie's parents) or their life's work (Mr. Eyebrows). This is not even barely legal work, he's literally just acting as a conman for hire.

I wouldn't call him a monster though. Jimmy McGill, on the other hand, made an old lady cry. Unforgivable, never forget.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Sure. This season shows the shift from Half-Measure Mike to Full-Measure Mike.

Half-Measure Mike refused to kill Tuco and believed he could solve the situation non-lethally, which only got him involved further in the Salamanca's business. Instead of going after Hector directly when they threatened his family, Half-Measure Mike went after Hector's business, and inadvertently got an innocent bystander killed because of it. Going after Hector at that point is too-little-too-late and has more to do with Mike's own pride coming back at him than any personal threat Hector poses.

In season 3 Gus offers Mike full measures. If you really want to get revenge against Hector, instead of killing him go all the way and make sure he suffers for his crimes. If you really want to support your family, don't just scrape by with piddly odd jobs. Go all the way and make big money and get all of it for yourself. We even see the side story of Mike with the widow, where he realizes if he's going to get justice for the Samaritan, he's going to go all the way and make sure the Samaritan doesn't just get disappeared. His advice to Nacho echoes this: if you're going to make your own pass at Hector, make sure you don't gently caress it up, make sure it doesn't come back to you.

Mike showing up to Lydia's office is the birth of Full-Measure Mike. He's no longer a former cop that does odd jobs on the side to support his family. He's a criminal with a cover identity. We even see him take ownership of the cover identity Gus offers him when he gives himself the title of "security consultant."

But Mike was already making the big money before he met Gus in Season 2. He was already doing the work getting $200,000. Now he's just doing work to hide it. I don't see how that's any more of a full measure. And I thought the birth of Full-Measure Mike was when a girl got killed when he was a cop and he could have prevented it. However even if this is all completely correct and it's not just reaching to find meaning, it's still very undramatic. So much so that they couldn't even think of anything for him to do in the finale. There was no story of his they could use to conclude this season because he didn't have much of a story. He barely did anything in the episode before the finale.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
all the people Saul suggested to kill, it was the logical thing to do

it's not his fault Walt caused the situations to be like that

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

all the people Saul suggested to kill, it was the logical thing to do

it's not his fault Walt caused the situations to be like that

Is this a joke post? Having reasons for murdering people doesn't make it not murder.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
You guys realize this is a show about the bad guys, right?

You might wanna go watch glee if the idea of killing a snitch to protect your drug empire is too evil for you.

What do you think is Jimmy's favorite line from Life Of Brian? I think it would be "Don't do it again or I'll cut your balls off" now but you know he giggled like a school girl as a kid to biggus dickus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jimmy's reasoning would be along the lines of "Hey, you don't wanna risk getting shanked in a prison bathroom, maybe don't sell large quantities of high grade trucker speed?" His suggestions to "just" have people killed off is based on that being SOP for these guys.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SeXReX posted:

You guys realize this is a show about the bad guys, right?

You might wanna go watch glee if the idea of killing a snitch to protect your drug empire is too evil for you.

Wtf are you even talking about? Nobody's bothered by him being a bad guy, there was just a bit of contention about whether or not he was a monster, with some people trying to excuse his behavior and others saying nah he was willing to do pretty much anything out of self-interest by the end of Breaking Bad.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure if you put a gun to Jimmy's head at the end of Season 3 of BCS there isn't much he wouldn't go along with if he thought he could escape external consequences.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I'd say that clip is backing up their point. It's a "why not?"

Saul is operating at different stakes to Jimmy and within the context of dealing with drug dealers it makes sense for him to suggest that. It's not like he's going to be the one to actually carry it out. Not that that makes it ok.

Edit: also Jessie and Walt are probably showing a confusing level of empathy towards their underlings potentially talking to the DEA to what he's used to.

It's absolutely not a "Why not?" This is a common defense of Saul's actions, but it doesn't line up with either the acting, the context, or the intent of the lines at all. He repeatedly suggests that they just kill Badger, even long after Walt and Jesse have solidly committed to the Jimmy In-'N-Out plan. Saul really doesn't want to do their plan because it's so risky and hard to pull off in comparison to a simple prison shanking.

Then later he suggests killing Jesse, who's similarly about to snitch. Saul has no problem having snitches killed. It's a tool of the criminal lawyer trade.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I bet gus likes the meaning of life.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SeXReX posted:

I bet gus likes the meaning of life.

Of course he does, he's awesome.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cnut the Great posted:

It's absolutely not a "Why not?" This is a common defense of Saul's actions, but it doesn't line up with either the acting, the context, or the intent of the lines at all. He repeatedly suggests that they just kill Badger, even long after Walt and Jesse have solidly committed to the Jimmy In-'N-Out plan. Saul really doesn't want to do their plan because it's so risky and hard to pull off in comparison to a simple prison shanking.

Then later he suggests killing Jesse, who's similarly about to snitch. Saul has no problem having snitches killed. It's a tool of the criminal lawyer trade.

The worst thing he did was suggest that Hank be murdered. Even as horrible as Walt became he never once wished for the death of someone not associated with their business. You never saw him planning on killing law enforcement.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Pretty sure if you put a gun to Jimmy's head at the end of Season 3 of BCS there isn't much he wouldn't go along with if he thought he could escape external consequences.

Put a gun to anyone's head and they'd probably do just about anything. Saul suggested murdering an innocent man to try to escape prison or the exile he ended up going into though, not to save his life. Jimmy's not a good guy, but I don't think he'd openly suggest murdering someone for that reason at this point in his evolution. The Saul from his early appearances in Breaking Bad probably wouldn't have either, to be fair. Walt made him a worse person than he was.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Jimmy did not have to go to such extremes in his yoga speech.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The entire cartel part of the show is not very well done. It's not very well conceived, and it's not very well executed.

Mike's involvement in it from the beginning (helping get rid of Tuco) has no real stakes for him.Then Hector becomes involved, but he is not well developed or interesting as a character at all. Then Mike's involvement ends up hinging on a nameless good samaritan being killed. It "builds" to Mike trying to kill Hector (from afar) and not doing so. Partly stopped by Gus.

Then Gus shows up. He has a 'conflict' with Hector which amounts to little more than a couple of fits here and there. Very few stakes for anyone.

Then the whole situation is 'resolved' in a largely tension-less scene where Nacho is going to 'kill' Hector (at no point is it believable that this might happen), and then it doesn't happen but instead there is a mild discussion and Hector gets a bit angry and finally has his heart attack. Mike is nowhere to be seen in any of this.

It's not just not very well done when you compare it to Breaking Bad, which was a much more gripping show. When a random person gets killed on that show (the kid), you actually see it, so it has a real effect on you. Here you don't see it. It doesn't tell you anything about anyone. It is literally just a plot device.

When there is a conflict between characters, it seems to have real stakes. When someone is about to do something like try to kill a person, you're genuinely worried about what might happen or how it might resolve itself. There is a tension because of this. Here, Mike goes off to kill Hector... with a sniper rifle from a million miles away. Whoo. Nacho is closer, but it is not conveyed in a way that you believe he might get caught or might get in real trouble. It's just... there.

This part of the show (which is half), I'm confident to say does not work at all unless you've seen Breaking Bad, because this show itself has not done anywhere near enough to define these characters well enough to make any of this poo poo matter.

This is a problem of the concept of the show, because they're trying to make a show which is half about a lawyer (with necessarily lower stakes), and the other half about a bunch of criminals and drug dealers. I suspect that, in order to keep balance, they've tried to underplay the criminal element and lower the stakes there, but the problem is they've lowered them to nonexistence. They've completely botched giving the characters a motivation that audiences can share.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 26, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah and then on top of that, it's the only part of the show that even reminds you that this is a Breaking Bad prequel, because Jimmy still isn't anywhere close to the character he was in Breaking Bad.

Jimmy's story feels like it's where it should have been at halfway through season 2, and Mike's story has been little more than fan service. "Oh ok, so that's how Mike met Gus. Neat." It's not surprising at all that so many people have jumped ship on this show. I still do like it but after the back-peddling in s03e10, I wouldn't be terribly upset if this doesn't get renewed, which is shocking since s03e09 made me think I would be devastated to have to wait a year.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Given that we never actually saw ANY of Saul's personal life in BB, I'm open to the possibility that this show isn't necessarily about the transformation into Saul so much as telling us what kind of a person Jimmy really was while he was playing Saul for his clients. Maybe he isn't the guy we think he was, he just acted like that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Javid posted:

Given that we never actually saw ANY of Saul's personal life in BB, I'm open to the possibility that this show isn't necessarily about the transformation into Saul so much as telling us what kind of a person Jimmy really was while he was playing Saul for his clients. Maybe he isn't the guy we think he was, he just acted like that.

I think it's really more that he played a part so long and so well that he forgot who he really was, and he's only remembering now that he has time and distance as Gene. Even the writers keep talking about what's keeping him connected to his humanity and keeping him from being Saul, and how those pillars are crumbling, so I think we're meant to assume he's going to be left with nothing but that persona by the end of this.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

Not that any of my friends are Neilson families but the prevailing opinion I encountered on this season was "Ill wait until I can binge it"

Plus no one my age has cable anymore it won't get any usable numbers until netflix unless they want to look at piracy hits.

Neilson has been leaving messages about me being a house and I've been contemplating it. Just to boost bcs raitings and other weird poo poo that traditionally doesn't get good raitings but is good tv. Though I worked in television so if they do any background check I couldn't be part of it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Real question, what was the "good stuff" Kim was taking? Jimmy was offering her that and ibuprofen, and I can't figure out what "that" was.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also, to downplay how noble Jimmy was in confessing to the old ladies, he didn't really need that money urgently anymore. Kim got into that crash and they collectively decided they didn't want the office anymore. So he could afford to wait longer and get a bigger sum eventually.

That's not to say he didn't think he was being noble. Heck, it was pretty sweet. But the circumstances had moved on such that his actions were ultimately not that big a deal.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Jimmy still needs rent and food money though, and I doubt he would want to leech off of Kim or work a boring 9 to 5 job.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe he'll work at a cinnabon

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree that the Mike/ cartel stuff is the weakest part of the show, and I could've done without it. However, it's not so bad that it distracts me from the good parts of the show too much.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love Mike's Macgyver episodes and I wish the show was about him instead of Saul

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Vegetable posted:

Real question, what was the "good stuff" Kim was taking? Jimmy was offering her that and ibuprofen, and I can't figure out what "that" was.

Likely something with codeine or hydrocodone in it like Tylenol 3 or Vicodin.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Crushed ibuprofen in a nitro capsule

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Opiates my man. Percocet/Vicodin/etc. I find it hard to believe you don't know what pain medication is.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Fentanyl, obv.

:shepspends:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Its copies of life of brian because that's the good Monty python movie

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RCarr posted:

Opiates my man. Percocet/Vicodin/etc. I find it hard to believe you don't know what pain medication is.

Kim getting addicted to opiates and spiraling into drug abuse due to her car crash would be an interesting season arc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It's not just not very well done when you compare it to Breaking Bad, which was a much more gripping show. When a random person gets killed on that show (the kid), you actually see it, so it has a real effect on you. Here you don't see it. It doesn't tell you anything about anyone. It is literally just a plot device.

When there is a conflict between characters, it seems to have real stakes.

I disagree with most of this post in general but I think the "lack of stakes" largely stems from the fact that we know certain characters live and die and also already know where they wind up.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

How in the world would seeing the Good Samaritan shot have told you anything new about who anyone is? We know what the Salamancas are, and if we didn't, the fact they killed that guy tells us. The real dramatic beat in that sequence of events is Mike's anger/remorse at being told the guy was killed. That would have LESS dramatic impact if you saw it happen and then you saw him being told about it. We all knew what was going to happen to the guy anyhow, but when it's confirmed, we get to see Mike's reaction straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think in a hypothetical next season, we will probably see cool stuff where Gus tries to expand into the power vacuum left by Hector and needs to use Mike more and more.

Also Chuck's heart will be damaged due to smoke inhalation requiring the installation of a pacemaker

• Locked thread