Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Season 1 of this AMC adaptation of the seminal, "unfilmable" comic series by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon was at first bewildering, then amusing, then once we figured out it was all supposed to be basically a stage-setting prequel to the actual comic, a hell of a lot of fun. And now Season 2 picks up pretty much where the comics begin.

Many of the comic's sacred cows are casualties of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's adaptation to the screen, but ultimately the differences from comic to show boil down to fairly trivial details of timeline and the way certain characters look. And frankly since before he died the late Steve Dillon put pen to the show's reimagining of the core characters with the following image, I'm thoroughly sold:

That's Jesse Custer in the foreground, small-town Texas preacher who has come into contact with an otherworldly power/being/something, the illegitimate offspring of angel and demon, called Genesis—which has fused itself with his mind and given him the power to command others to do whatever he wants—the Word of God. The storyline of Season 1 culminated in Jesse confronting the angels of Heaven about Genesis, in front of the entire town of Annville, only to learn from the reluctant angels that God has gone missing from Heaven, apparently on the run... from Genesis.

So the whole town lost its faith all at once.

And then the town blew up, thanks to Odin Quincannon's cow poo poo fume cavern.

And now Jesse and his little band of friends—lifelong girlfriend Tulip O'Hare and Irish vampire Cassidy—are off on a cross-country mission of rollicking road-trip revenge... against God.

This show's pretty great is what I'm saying.

It's not the same as the comic—I'd say it's not quite as close to the source material as the Peter Jackson LotR movies—but much as those movies knew what worked better in a different medium and made changes to their benefit, this show too knows what it's doing. If you're a fan of the comics you should definitely give it a shot. It is a good reinterpretation that brings it into a modern sensibility with most of the essential humor and texture and quirkiness intact. And now we enter Season 2 with teasers in play to indicate that we'll soon be meeting Herr Starr, Jesus de Sade, and the Saint of Killers, among who knows who else.

Here's the Season 1 thread for all your rewatching needs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777173&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

S2E01 airs on AMC at 10:00PM, Sunday 6/25. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Preacher shot off my dick. Hell of a shot. Million to one."

I loved season one, can't wait for the new one.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Just binged through Season 1 over the past two days, and very much enjoyed it. The main trio are all so great. I own the comics, but haven't read them yet, so the fact that the season stayed entirely in Annville and the changes to characters were not an issue for me. About the only thing that bothered me was when Emily fed Miles to Cassidy, since it seemed so out of character for her. Now time to read the comics and look forward to Sunday!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I loved season 1 a lot and was baffled when I found out the general opinion around here was that it was bad. Season 2 looks like it's going to go all the way to 11 and I can't wait.

Joe Gilgnun is amazing, always, in everything. Go watch This is England, I'll wait.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Season 1 was good. Looking forward to the premiere in an hour.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The motel fight vs the Seraphim in S1 was a top moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9jlek0Ymlc

'D'ye know what this remindes me of'

'Shut up, Cassidy'

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished the first season last night, am super excited for this. I had no belief they'd be able to put this comic to television, am glad they've put a solid effort into it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I loved season 1 a lot and was baffled when I found out the general opinion around here was that it was bad. Season 2 looks like it's going to go all the way to 11 and I can't wait.

Joe Gilgnun is amazing, always, in everything. Go watch This is England, I'll wait.

It was slow to find it's footing, and the Tulip character didn't get much to do until near the end of the season. But to be fair she wasn't exactly dynamic in the comic either.

Most of the complaints I've seen are the usual 'not true to the material' crap, but I can also get how it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Herr Starr, if they get him even half right, hold on to your balls.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't wait to see if they try to make Allfather d'Aronique happen this season. That'll be a challenge.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is extremely my poo poo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God Saint Of Killers is so badass

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of funny how nobody is using their real accent for the show. Giigun and Cooper are English, while Ruth Negga is Irish.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is my memory faulty or are they ramping up the gore a notch?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

muscles like this! posted:

It is kind of funny how nobody is using their real accent for the show. Giigun and Cooper are English, while Ruth Negga is Irish.
I also like how Tulip and Jesse are wearing sunglasses constantly while Cassidy isn't

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Data Graham posted:

Yeah that opener was... Something all right :allears:

Cass and Tulip feel awkward

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Data Graham posted:

The Seraphim in the bathtub?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oooo nice, the treasure chest

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
You're the uh... :siren:SAINT OF KILLERS:siren: yeah I've heard a' ya

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
A little closer in tone to the comic, which is good for nerds like me. The "siphon gas through an intestine" part was really, really dumb though. I'm good with over the top gore, but that was just silly.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
They're still trying too hard in a few spots but it's very fun. Veering from the books some more (potential next episode spoilers) if that preview wasn't a fake out. The Saint did obey the Word in the book, even though Jesse was smart/scared enough not to push it.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The Saints guns are appropriately loud. I love that they sound like cannons. Great opening.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 26, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

They're still trying too hard in a few spots but it's very fun. Veering from the books some more (potential next episode spoilers) if that preview wasn't a fake out. The Saint did obey the Word in the book, even though Jesse was smart/scared enough not to push it.

He also never missed, though I can kind of see that one having to be waved away for the blaze of glory.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

He also never missed, though I can kind of see that one having to be waved away for the blaze of glory.

It was weird they specifically showed him doing that. I don't think it added much of value.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I forgot how much I dug this show. The scene of them singing Come On Eileen after talking poo poo about it was great.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Between that whole run-from-the-cops scene and the sex scene at the end I think they really nailed the two-fisted devil-may-care Jesse/Tulip dynamic that was kinda MIA from the first season.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This show just oozes style.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
As someone who never read the comics, who is the magician on the TV and why does Cassidy seem to recognize him?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gonz posted:

As someone who never read the comics, who is the magician on the TV and why does Cassidy seem to recognize him?

It looked like it's Fiore, one of the Angels.

muscles like this! posted:

The guy playing the Saint of Killers is Scottish, too. This is like The Wire all over again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's produced with a UK production deal, like a lot of AMC's shows. (Humans and Into The Badlands spring to mind.) A lot of the cast is British, including Lucy Griffiths from last season and two other actors who are turning up later this year.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Gonz posted:

You only see him in portrait but it was the taller Angel.

The show changes a lot so small details are not really likely to be comic relevant honestly though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like, Mike the religious scholar and the madam at the strip club are both new inventions for the show.

They entirely work in the tone of the universe, though, so I'm not bothered a bit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Like, Mike the religious scholar and the lady at the strip club are both new inventions for the show.

They entirely work in the tone of the universe, though, so I'm not bothered a bit.

As the resident grumpy "the show is not like the comics" guy, I would prefer they stray away from the books and do original stories and characters rather than taking existing characters and changing them completely like they've been doing.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I don't think Ennis' "So edgy they cut your wrists" characters and writing is that sacred honestly. Looking back I consider a lot of the stuff in the comic pretty embarrassing really.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JossiRossi posted:

I don't think Ennis' "So edgy they cut your wrists" characters and writing is that sacred honestly. Looking back I consider a lot of the stuff in the comic pretty embarrassing really.

Which is fine - I agree that a lot of it was definitely shock and "what can I get away with doing", but they changed the base defining characteristics of Jesse and Tulip so much that it's very different. Which again, I would be fine with (Lucifer is one of my favorite shows) except Seth Rogen kept saying how the show was going to be "true to the comics".

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo! The treasure chest in the aquarium!!!

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
That poor cop was still singing.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Some bottom of the river humour right there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Collateral posted:

Some bottom of the river humour right there.

Comic They're going to do that arc. Holy gently caress!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What'd I miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Phummus posted:

What'd I miss?

Comic and I guess future show spoilers.

• Locked thread