Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

The 05/06 season is a treasure trove for old players who came back for one last chance: Lemieux, Andreychuk, Leetch, Mogilny, Palffy, Hull, Robitaille, and Yzerman are the eight best, but then you have Domi, Desjardins, Primeau, Zhamnov, Cassels, Scott Young, and Odelein.

Also, sorry to bring up Andreychuk everyone. I think he'll eventually make it in even though I have no strong opinion. Ciccarelli kind of opened the door for him.

Nothing about 2005/06 makes any sense. Eric Staal had 100pts then was PPG one more time in his career (82 in 82 in 07/08). Jonathan Cheechoo had 56 goals then was out of the league four years later. Shanny scored 40. Peter Prucha was the hot, young goalscoring winger for the Rangers. Todd Bertuzzi was still an effective player. Mathieu Schneider lead the league in goals from the blueline. Cristobal Huet posted a .929. The Red Wings put up 124 points then somehow lost to the 8th seeded Oilers who'd go on to force a Stanley Cup 7th game against the Hurricanes on the back of an all world performance from Fernando Pisani. :psyduck:

Looking back, that year was just bizarre beyond belief.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Keep in mind I think Hasek's a contender for GOAT at his position.

I don't think there's much debate about that anymore. Hasek is hands down the best goaltender to have every played.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Nothing about 2005/06 makes any sense. Eric Staal had 100pts then was PPG one more time in his career (82 in 82 in 07/08). Jonathan Cheechoo had 56 goals then was out of the league four years later. Shanny scored 40. Peter Prucha was the hot, young goalscoring winger for the Rangers. Todd Bertuzzi was still an effective player. Mathieu Schneider lead the league in goals from the blueline. Cristobal Huet posted a .929. The Red Wings put up 124 points then somehow lost to the 8th seeded Oilers who'd go on to force a Stanley Cup 7th game against the Hurricanes on the back of an all world performance from Fernando Pisani. :psyduck:

Do you just mean because he was 35-36 at the time?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Breaking up Hall of Fame chat for a second:
https://twitter.com/MikeHeika/status/879367857221578753

:rip:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

The Flyers better not put Lehtera on a line with any speed because he drags everyone else down. He's a good defensive center, but his conditioning is among the worst in the league and it becomes incredibly obvious a month into the season. Look at his numbers last year and realize he spent most of it playing with Schwartz and Tarasenko.

He's still (surprisingly) a better even strength play-driver than Schenn though, and for the time being I don't think they're looking to get much from him anyway. Worse comes to worst he's buried on a 4th line or scratched and the priority was the picks anyway.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
tampa signed RFA sustr for a one year - $1.95 contract, in what can only be described as "sunk cost fallacy"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

Lehtonen's largely considered the better of the 2, right?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Do you just mean because he was 35-36 at the time?

Yes, he'd been seen as being on the decline before the lockout. He scored 25 in 03/04. I don't think anyone expected 40 goals from him at 37.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I mean, maybe? But at this point they're both completely awful and they just had to get at least one of those shitbox contracts out of there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We're looking at like .903 vs. .905 here, it doesn't really matter.

If you have to keep a lovely goalie I guess the one who's been with your team all this time is the right choice. He does make almost $1.5m more though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DJExile posted:

He's still (surprisingly) a better even strength play-driver than Schenn though, and for the time being I don't think they're looking to get much from him anyway. Worse comes to worst he's buried on a 4th line or scratched and the priority was the picks anyway.

I want Lehtera bought out so theres a 0% chance of Hakstol falling in love with the guy

Andreychuck is a Dino Ciccarelli that never hit his decline phase

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, it's such a bizarre season. Brian Gionta scored 48-goals is another fun little thing that happened.

The reason people tend to think Hasek was significantly better than Brodeur is that Hasek was good wherever he went once he became a starter, and Brodeur's numbers seemed to be dependent on the quality of New Jersey's defence, especially in his later years. I think Brodeur belongs in the hall, because he was very good for a long time. But I'd rather have Hasek.

Keep in mind I think Hasek's a contender for GOAT at his position.

The other thing to keep in mind about the Hasek/Roy/Brodeur debate, is that it's essentially a debate about where each goalie slots into the all-time top-10. I would have said top-5, but then you have guys like Sawchuk, Plante, Hall, and Dryden, who could all make a case.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Yes. From this latest season:
Kari Lehtonen: 59 GP, 22-25-7, 2.85 GAA, 0.902 Sv%
Antti Niemi: 37 GP, 12-12-4, 3.30 GAA, 0.892 Sv%

Although in the end it really doesn't matter, I'm sure both of them will be gone from the Stars after next season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nvr4gt :911:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

You can have 3 goalies or 1 Connor McDavid!

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/879369138073997312

https://twitter.com/BBurnsNHL/status/879369689264214016

this, however, owns owns owns

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lehtonen had the cleanest exit from a butterfly I'd ever seen when he first joined the league. I thought for sure he'd end up being very good. Sucks he couldn't do anythat else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kilza posted:

He did one thing well, cashed in big time just for being on a hilariously overloaded 2010 Blackhawks.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
put clare drake in the goddamn hhof

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Lehtonen had the cleanest exit from a butterfly I'd ever seen when he first joined the league. I thought for sure he'd end up being very good. Sucks he couldn't do anythat else.

I remember when he was drafted, they talked about how risky it is to draft a goalie with a high 1st round pick, but that this was probably pretty safe. Didn't really work out, and his best year was probably for Dallas in '05-06.

In fairness, his numbers in Finland were insanely good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Controversial opinion: Ken Dryden was and is seriously overrated as a hockey player but seems to generally be an exceptional person otherwise.

Also for several years for some reason it seems like Kari lehtonen beat the blues singlehandedly, repeatedly, and this has apparently permanently colored my opinion into thinking he's better than he is.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'll take Lehtonen cheap to back up Hank and work with Allaire.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

I'll take Lehtonen cheap to back up Hank and work with Allaire.

He'd actually be a fine backup if it weren't for the pricetag really, so I agree

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think there's much debate about that anymore. Hasek is hands down the best goaltender to have every played.

see, the "hands down" is what rankles me here. there's no definitive measure here, whether it's best at peak, best over span of career, best for most years, or whatever. also, none of us ever saw george hainsworth or georges vezina or whoever play. i guess you could try to disqualify early 20th century guys because the position and game generally were less developed at that point, but can you state objectively that those players would not have been able to adapt to modern technique?

my point is there's no "hands down" and there never will be. you can have your arguments for who your favorite is and who you think is best, but there's nothing to point to with hasek that can't be argued against.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus it's Tim Thomas.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
No, Tretiak.

:getin:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Got excited for a bunch of new posts and then found out it was HHOF chatter

Off-season is the worst

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
lets discuss which slurs are ok to say on-ice to an opponent

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/879376442055852032

:stare:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

i am the bird posted:

Got excited for a bunch of new posts and then found out it was HHOF chatter

Off-season is the worst

we'll have bad contracts to laugh at in a few days

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Curious to see who bites on Radulov

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

haha... ahhh

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Dorion just found his Methot replacement

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Swerve right Burke, Stone's a better player and Rasmus Andersson probably is, too

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 26, 2017

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Everybody knows Dan Girardi is going to Detroit, all other fanbases can settle down.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
remember when the rangers chose girardi over stralman?

wonderllama remembers.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Kilza posted:

Everybody knows Dan Girardi is going to Detroit, all other fanbases can settle down.

Can we pretend for a few days at least?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Wonderllama posted:

wonderllama remembers.

wonderllama...........thank you.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Wonderllama posted:

wonderllama remembers.

haha yeah! i do remember that.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Matt Zerella posted:

wonderllama...........thank you.

love the poster, hate the post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Kilza posted:

are the wings sure they wouldnt rather have marc staal? don't even need to negotiate a contract with him, he already has one!!

• Locked thread