Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Alright let me ask in a way that's less useless.

I'm looking for something with a 1070/1080 that ideally will handle AAA for the next 4ish years, not planning on VR, and ideally doesn't run at the temperature of the sun or weighs 500lb. I'm moving continents next year or I'd probably just grab a tower.

I'm not super fussed about screen size either as I will probably hook it up to a monitor.

Ideally I'd like something mid pricerange but I can splash a little bit if I tactically organize my finances.

Just about the best value GTX 1070 laptop is the Clevo P650HS-G. G-Sync, 7820HK, 1070, 15", 120hz FHD or 4k options, not too big a body, great cooling. It's sold by brands like Sager, HIDEvolution, Xotic PC, GentechPC, etc.

Unless you manage to snap up one of the Aorus X5 V6's for 2k flat -- sometimes those deals pop up on Newegg. Then I'd go for that simply due to the better build quality and portability.

Edit: Lastly, there are some new laptops coming out soon with nVidia "Max Q" cards. Eample, GTX 1080-Max-Q. This does not perform like a 1080, and in fact has been downclocked and power limited so much that, from the early benchmark leak there was, puts it barely 10% better than a stock GTX 1070.

So I'm not saying don't buy a Max-Q laptop when they become available if they suit your needs, just make sure you've looked at benchmarks etc first.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Oh straight up, there's lots of cheap 1070 laptops with GSYNC. Well, "cheap," they start at around $1600 with the Asus gl502, which is a decent if unspectacular laptop from all reports.

Still, I have the Aorus and even at less than 1 inch thick, it's bulky on its own. I wouldn't really want to go much thicker, and that aforementioned Clevo is about twice the size.

It's also $400-$500 cheaper mind you. Up to you which you care more about.,

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh straight up, there's lots of cheap 1070 laptops with GSYNC. Well, "cheap," they start at around $1600 with the Asus gl502, which is a decent if unspectacular laptop from all reports.

Still, I have the Aorus and even at less than 1 inch thick, it's bulky on its own. I wouldn't really want to go much thicker, and that aforementioned Clevo is about twice the size.

It's also $400-$500 cheaper mind you. Up to you which you care more about.,

It's thicker for sure, but actually has a smaller top-down footprint.

Clevo P650HS-G: 15.16" (w) x 10.67" (d) x 1.13" (h) - 5.84lbs
Aorus X5 V6: 15.35" (w) x 10.71" (d) x 0.90" (h) - 5.51lbs

At around the 2k mark, the Aorus is the best buy for a 1070 laptop if you can get it at that price, but you have to find a sale. MSI also has a whole bunch of 1070 laptops at the 2k mark with a 1070 but they tend to be thicker and heavier.

If you want a 1080, you're looking at the Eurocom Tornado F5 / EVOC 16-L-G which is based on the GT62VR chassis and contain a desktop CPU and 15" screen. This is probably the best value 1080 laptop, but it is a bitch to keep cool, and you'll need to delid your CPU to get anything approaching reasonable temps under dual load.

For 17" you can look at the MSI GT73VR models with the 1080, though they are *very* pricey, closing in on 3k fast.

Other than that, I don't know what other GTX 1080 laptops there are, that aren't gimmicky ones like the Asus ROG GX800 which has a watercooling dock.

IMO, stick with a 1070 laptop for best value and longevity and actual portability.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hadlock posted:

Lenovo has gone on something of a marketing binge in the last week

Announced a 25th anniversary Thinkpad (with no details)
Interview with lenovo's chief designer about thinkpad features

Usually these kinds of campaigns last a couple of weeks, I'm curious to see if they release a new product in ~6 weeks after they've whipped up the appropriate amount of hype

:gizz: if it turns out to be good i will immediately buy one and sell my new x1 to pay for it

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

If you're looking for something cheap, you don't need a PCIE/NVME M2 drive. If your M2 slot supports the SATA protocol, which I would assume it does but definitely double check that, you can get a cheaper SATA3 M2 drive, and probably get a bigger one for the same price as a smaller NVME one.

Unfortunately, that's not an option. Page 26 of the hardware manual for Lenovo Y520 itself says that it's a PCIE M2 slot and owners upgrading their laptops are reporting the same.

Bob Morales posted:

What about a 950 instead?

The 950 is not really stocked where I'm at right now.

I've swung by the SSD thread and saw that the Intel 600p was recommended as a budget option for people looking for NVME M2 SSDs.

Thanks for the help guys. :argh: Windows 10 :argh:

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Do all Nvidia chips have the diagonal screen tearing issue on laptops? Just bought one with a 1050ti and hadn't known about the issue beforehand, but reading about it now it looks like it's been around for years. Turning off vsync seemed to help at least with the one game I tried.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Fatigued posted:

Do all Nvidia chips have the diagonal screen tearing issue on laptops? Just bought one with a 1050ti and hadn't known about the issue beforehand, but reading about it now it looks like it's been around for years. Turning off vsync seemed to help at least with the one game I tried.

Yeah, it's been around for long time and it's up to Microsoft to fix it since Windows 8.1 and older don't have this issue. Something about their new Desktop Window Manager not having proper support for hybrid graphics (Optimus).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3158621/hybrid-graphics-and-vsync-results-in-graphic-tearing-in-some-games-and-apps-on-windows-10
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/903422/geforce-mobile-gpus/diagonal-screen-tearing-issues-on-gtx-860m-870m-960m-965m-970m-980m-/

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

huhwhat posted:

So, I'm looking to get the cheapest reliable M.2 PCIe SSD for my laptop and I wonder if the thread has any recommendations. Internet consensus seems to be the Samsung 960 Pro series but they're too pricey for my liking. Just need enough space to store Windows 10 on the SSD. Games and media will go on the HDD.

960 Evo?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

huhwhat posted:

I've swung by the SSD thread and saw that the Intel 600p was recommended as a budget option for people looking for NVME M2 SSDs.

I have a couple 600ps in different devices and have been happy with them - I haven't done anything super intensive to emphasize the differences but subjectively, the experience has been about the same for me with a 512GB 600p and a 500GB 850 EVO.

Sustained large writes will hit the end of the SLC write cache eventually and your write performance will start to suck relative to something like an 850 EVO, but if I recall correctly we're talking about several GB here and it will not happen in practice except for large manual file copies from another fast device. The flip side is that sustained reads are faster because of the NVMe interface, for the large models at least.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 23, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I saw a few people using the XPS 13 this last week on a work trip and the little thing was really impressive and now I want one. I have a few questions about it though.

1) Does anyone know if it can run WoW? I'm starting to travel a lot for work and it would be really nice if my one laptop I take could run WoW reasonably smooth enough to do some things in game (for WoW players I'd probably just want to be able to do the daily emissary quests and maybe a random or two).

2) Is the Developer Edition and the normal version the exact same thing except that it doesn't come with a Windows license? I'm primarily a Linux user right now but I'd rather get a Windows key and install Ubuntu myself if it's the exact same hardware.

3) The website doesn't like me customize the RAM so I'm guessing that's soldered in? It does let me customize the SSD though, so does that mean I can just use an off the shelf 850 EVO in it?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Aorus X5 just ain't available here in Tokyo for less than $6K :( I shall keep hunting for something else.
Generally speaking though, for AAA titles and security for the next 3-4 years, other than a 1070 or better what else should I be hunting for?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I'm in somewhat of the same boat as some of the other posters. I've been using a T430 for years and it needs an upgrade. My budget is €1800 ($2000), 1000 of it is a bonus from work so this is why I'm splurging.

My two thoughts are: get another, more powerful, thinkpad, or go for a different brand. I am afraid of getting something other than a thinkpad because I've loved it so much and they really seem like great, durable, and reliable computers.

What I want is a laptop that can handle most current games on at least medium quality. Spec requirements: i7, 15.6"+, 512gb+, 16gb RAM, GTX 1050 or better

After a lot of consideration I think I've narrowed it down to these two:

Gigabyte Aero 14
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAPK5NE4520

vs.

MSI GT72VR
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154471

Options I'm considering, I have bolded the ones I think might be best:

Lenovo Y720(€ 1599 = $1789) Are Y series good though? Also, it looks dumb as hell.
- i7-7700HQ
- 15.6" IPS (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
- GeForce GTX 1060 (1280 cores)
- 1 TB HDD 5400rpm, 256 GB SSD

Lenovo Y520(€ 1199 = $1342) Are Y series good though? Previous gen of the above.
- i7-7700HQ
- 15.6" IPS (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
- GeForce GTX 1050

MSI GE72VR(€ 1599 = $1789) Are MSI laptops bullshit?
- i7-6700HQ
- 17.3" IPS (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz

Lenovo P71 ($ 1,969.13 or 1,841.83):
- i7-7700HQ
- 17.3" FHD (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
- Quadro P4000 8GB [Cheaper version: P3000 3GB]
- 1 TB HDD + 256 SSD [Cheaper version: 512 SSD (even though it's bigger)]

HP Omen (€ 1799 = $2013)
- i7-7700HQ
- 17.3" IPS (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
- 1 TB HDD, 256 GB HDD

Can anyone heeeeeeeelp? I don't keep up enough about laptops. One thing I'm unsure about is if I need to get a laptop with all the newest specs or if it makes sense to save money and get a previous generation one. Remember, I'm essentially getting a 1000 euro discount, so if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Are there any other previous gen laptops like the y520 which would be better?

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 24, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I saw a few people using the XPS 13 this last week on a work trip and the little thing was really impressive and now I want one. I have a few questions about it though.

1) Does anyone know if it can run WoW? I'm starting to travel a lot for work and it would be really nice if my one laptop I take could run WoW reasonably smooth enough to do some things in game (for WoW players I'd probably just want to be able to do the daily emissary quests and maybe a random or two).

It could run WoW, at least for dailies and some dungeon finder. You'll want to get one of the upgraded models with the Iris Plus graphics; the lower models barely beat Legion's minimum requirements. The Iris Plus will be medium to medium low settings for now, but won't be doing them at the XPS 13's native resolution, probably half. Luckily that doesn't matter too much for WoW. I've played WoW for years on similarly specced laptops. It's not great but it's doable.

The thing you want to consider is how long you'll be using this laptop for. Things should be smooth for Legion, but you'll be at minimum spec for the next one. Considering we just started the second tier of Legion, you've got at least a year of play at these requirements. If the laptop can't play the next expansion acceptably, will you feel you've got your money's worth?

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Boris Galerkin posted:

2) Is the Developer Edition and the normal version the exact same thing except that it doesn't come with a Windows license? I'm primarily a Linux user right now but I'd rather get a Windows key and install Ubuntu myself if it's the exact same hardware.

3) The website doesn't like me customize the RAM so I'm guessing that's soldered in? It does let me customize the SSD though, so does that mean I can just use an off the shelf 850 EVO in it?

I'm actually just picking one up on ebay. I should have it sometime next week. Not sure how well it would run WoW, my guess is "You could probably log in, do some gathering, probably the Emissary quests, but I probably wouldn't expect to do great in a group", as another person replied, If you can get the Iris versions, do that.

From what I understand, the only difference hardware wise between the Developer Edition, and the Regular, is the Developer Edition is the Developer Edition had an Intel Wireless card for better compatability. You can swap out the Card if you like, and according to this page, the Killer card in the newer XPS 13's have recent support in the kernel: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_13_(9360)

Another note, some people have gotten external GPU's working on the Thunderbolt connector. Not ideal, and requires another thing to pack, but might be just the thing to push it into bearable territory. Here's one particular test I found looking for it. https://egpu.io/testing-acer-graphics-dock-xps-13-9360/

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Blowdryer posted:

I'm in somewhat of the same boat as some of the other posters. I've been using a T430 for years and it needs an upgrade. My budget is €1800 ($2000), 1000 of it is a bonus from work so this is why I'm splurging.

My two thoughts are: get another, more powerful, thinkpad, or go for a different brand. I am afraid of getting something other than a thinkpad because I've loved it so much and they really seem like great, durable, and reliable computers.

What I want is a laptop that can handle most current games on at least medium quality. Spec requirements: i7, 15.6"+, 512gb+, 16gb RAM, GTX 1050 or better

Options I'm considering, I have bolded the ones I think might be best:

Lenovo Y720(€ 1599 = $1789) Are Y series good though? Also, it looks dumb as hell.
- i7-7700HQ
- 15.6" IPS (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz

Lenovo Y520(€ 1199 = $1342) Are Y series good though? Previous gen of the above.
- i7-7700HQ
- 15.6" IPS (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
- GeForce GTX 1050

MSI GE72VR(€ 1599 = $1789) Are MSI laptops bullshit?
- i7-6700HQ
- 17.3" IPS (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz

Lenovo P71 ($ 1,969.13 or 1,841.83):
- i7-7700HQ
- 17.3" FHD (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
- Quadro P4000 8GB [Cheaper version: P3000 3GB]
- 1 TB HDD + 256 SSD [Cheaper version: 512 SSD (even though it's bigger)]

HP Omen (€ 1799 = $2013)
- i7-7700HQ
- 17.3" IPS (1920x1080)
- 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
- 1 TB HDD, 256 GB HDD

Can anyone heeeeeeeelp? I don't keep up enough about laptops. One thing I'm unsure about is if I need to get a laptop with all the newest specs or if it makes sense to save money and get a previous generation one. Remember, I'm essentially getting a 1000 euro discount, so if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Are there any other previous gen laptops like the y520 which would be better?

At a minimum you need to look for the 1050 Ti 4 GB or the 1060 6 GB. With that out of the way, most of the 1050 Ti 4 GB laptops are pretty similar and should be able to handle the level of gaming you indicated. It looks like laptops cost more over there than they do here in Amerikkka, because that Legion Y520 is only about $1k. This video is a good roundup of most of the 1050 clones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxwMlYMMSnI

Beyond that, though, I found this a few weeks ago, a 1060 6 GB laptop for about the same price as those with the 1050 Ti and the i7. For that price it's a steal.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Atomizer posted:

At a minimum you need to look for the 1050 Ti 4 GB or the 1060 6 GB. With that out of the way, most of the 1050 Ti 4 GB laptops are pretty similar and should be able to handle the level of gaming you indicated. It looks like laptops cost more over there than they do here in Amerikkka, because that Legion Y520 is only about $1k. This video is a good roundup of most of the 1050 clones:

Beyond that, though, I found this a few weeks ago, a 1060 6 GB laptop for about the same price as those with the 1050 Ti and the i7. For that price it's a steal.

Thanks! I didn't realize how different the prices were. I think I'll end up buying whatever I want from newegg and have it shipped to my family and when one comes to visit they can bring it.

e; Also looking at this Aero 14 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAPK5NE4520 as the faulty Razer Blade quality stories sound a little iffy, especially if I'm going to be in Europe.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 24, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm heading back to school and need a new laptop. I want something with

-2 in 1 convertible
-14 inches
-256 SSD
-2.5 GHZ
-Around 800 bucks

Don't need anything that can play games, but raw power would be nice.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Blowdryer posted:

e; Also looking at this Aero 14 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAPK5NE4520 as the faulty Razer Blade quality stories sound a little iffy, especially if I'm going to be in Europe.

The Aero 14 has been generally well received and doesn't have the nightmarish customer support stories Razer has. The one thing you might not like about it is the noise profile from the fans. Rather than a whooshing sound, it actually has a slightly whiny sound profile. It'll be drowned out by the speakers or by headphones, but something to consider.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I decided to bite the bullet on a lenovo x1 carbon tablet. It has an m5-6y57 cpu, 8 gigs of ram, 512gig nvme ssd. Got it for $650.

Anyone have any experience with it or that cpu for minor gaming?

The only thing i was a bit concerned with is battery life but they do sell that productivity module with an extra battery.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

I decided to bite the bullet on a lenovo x1 carbon tablet. It has an m5-6y57 cpu, 8 gigs of ram, 512gig nvme ssd. Got it for $650.

Anyone have any experience with it or that cpu for minor gaming?

The only thing i was a bit concerned with is battery life but they do sell that productivity module with an extra battery.

Dude, your avatar, what the gently caress?!? :psyduck:

Anyways, you're not going to do much gaming with that CPU/GPU. Maybe 2D stuff, but that's a low-power, probably passively-cooled CPU so don't get your hopes up. Battery life should be good though.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Dude, your avatar, what the gently caress?!? :psyduck:

Anyways, you're not going to do much gaming with that CPU/GPU. Maybe 2D stuff, but that's a low-power, probably passively-cooled CPU so don't get your hopes up. Battery life should be good though.

Yeah.. g0m appearently thought it was some kind of self own or something and made it my avatar. I think it was to teach me not to go to fyad possibly i dont know.

Realisticly for gaming all i want are binding of isaac, terraria, starbound, and sunless sea in terms of complexity. There are others i would want but nothing too heavily demanding that i can think of. Theres others like hearthstone but that works flawlessly on my older intel atom cpu running 2 gigs of ram on win10.

I think the only real demanding game would be diablo 3 but im not keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

The Aero 14 has been generally well received and doesn't have the nightmarish customer support stories Razer has. The one thing you might not like about it is the noise profile from the fans. Rather than a whooshing sound, it actually has a slightly whiny sound profile. It'll be drowned out by the speakers or by headphones, but something to consider.

If I'm in public would this annoy the poo poo out of other people? (Like on a train or airplane)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Blowdryer posted:

If I'm in public would this annoy the poo poo out of other people? (Like on a train or airplane)

To be fair, any small thin and light gaming laptop is going to be obnoxious at load in a quiet morning train.

Sound can be mitigated somewhat by a good liquid metal paste job. My Aero 15 doesn't get particularly loud, but its also bigger with more cooling headroom than 14.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 25, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Blowdryer posted:

Certainly no more than the parents with the screaming child, the 350lbs guy wedging himself into a center seat, etc.

It's not gonna be silent, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

To be fair, any small thin and light gaming laptop is going to be obnoxious at load in a quiet morning train.

Sound can be mitigated somewhat by a good liquid metal paste job. My Aero 15 doesn't get particularly loud, but its also bigger with more cooling headroom than 14.

The reason I had been considering the Aero 14 instead of the 15 was because I thought I'd seen the 15 has worse quality. Is this the case? I could be remembering wrong.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
My MSI GE60 seems to be dying so I am looking to get another laptop that I can use to play games on at least medium settings for the coming 3 years or so. I've been eyeing the Lenovo Legion Y520 as they seem to have gotten good reviews with many concluding that they are a nice budget laptop. The one I've been thinking about buying has a i5-7300HQ, 8GB ram, a 256GB SSD and a GTX 1050Ti 4GB. I know that the processor might not be the best, but I'm not really in position to add the money needed to get the version with an i7. Would the i5-Y520 still be enough for what I want to do or is a i7 required?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The i5 isn't gonna hold you back much, but depending on what you plan on playing, a 1050Ti might not be sufficient to game on anything but the lowest settings much sooner than 3 years.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Blowdryer posted:

The reason I had been considering the Aero 14 instead of the 15 was because I thought I'd seen the 15 has worse quality. Is this the case? I could be remembering wrong.

I don't own an Aero 14 so I can't give you a direct comparison. However, I have not heard this is the case, and I was strongly debating between the Aero 14, Razer Blade, and Aero 15 before my purchase.

FWIW, the Aero 15 is a solid good-not-great in terms of build quality. It's not mostly plastic like reviewers incorrectly say so; it's mostly metal with the major plastic components being the top lid on the back of the screen, and the bottom panel. The rest is aluminium.

There is some flex around the power button, but not much on the keyboard itself. There is some screen flex, but nothing more than your usual laptop.

As far as I can tell, there is no significant difference in build quality between the 14 and 15, but my experience is only owning a 15, and watching/reading reviews and/or user opinions of the 14.

If you have an opportunity to do so at a shop, I'd definitely recommend trying both out. Where I live, I couldn't, so I went in blind on the 15, and I'm happy. It's keyboard is not the greatest being too stiff (the 14 has a better KB), but I can live with it. I don't actually have any build-quality related concerns.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

The i5 isn't gonna hold you back much, but depending on what you plan on playing, a 1050Ti might not be sufficient to game on anything but the lowest settings much sooner than 3 years.

Hmmm okey. What would a better but not crazy expensive graphics card be? I've been playing in a 660M for the last four years and that's worked okay.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Go ahead and repaste. I'd recommend the Gelid extreme.

Thermal pads are for the VRMs around your CPU and GPU. They'll take heat and transfer it directly to the metal bottom. Cooler running VRMs are more efficient and will result in lower temps overall.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Yeah.. g0m appearently thought it was some kind of self own or something and made it my avatar. I think it was to teach me not to go to fyad possibly i dont know.

Realisticly for gaming all i want are binding of isaac, terraria, starbound, and sunless sea in terms of complexity. There are others i would want but nothing too heavily demanding that i can think of. Theres others like hearthstone but that works flawlessly on my older intel atom cpu running 2 gigs of ram on win10.

I think the only real demanding game would be diablo 3 but im not keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

All of those 2D/"indie" games should be fine. Diablo 3 will probably run, but with compromises (e.g. resolution and/or details.) I found this video of a guy playing it on a Compute Stick with similar specs (the same GPU, but a slightly slower CPU) and it looks like it's getting <30 FPS at FHD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvJTUNUUAY

Sort of related, I've been investigating gaming on the HD 620, and while stuff kind of runs, it's not really a good experience. Overwatch, for example, runs at minimum details, with scaling at auto (which usually has it at 33%) and is still a blurry mess. Playable, not too enjoyable. The 940MX is a huge increase over Intel iGPUs, definitely.

Star posted:

My MSI GE60 seems to be dying so I am looking to get another laptop that I can use to play games on at least medium settings for the coming 3 years or so. I've been eyeing the Lenovo Legion Y520 as they seem to have gotten good reviews with many concluding that they are a nice budget laptop. The one I've been thinking about buying has a i5-7300HQ, 8GB ram, a 256GB SSD and a GTX 1050Ti 4GB. I know that the processor might not be the best, but I'm not really in position to add the money needed to get the version with an i7. Would the i5-Y520 still be enough for what I want to do or is a i7 required?

The Y520 is one of the perfectly fine 1050 Ti laptops; the specs you listed are just fine for your gaming needs, and I'm pretty sure you can easily add some RAM and an HDD yourself in the near future (definitely more cost effective to do it yourself, even right after purchase, though.) That CPU is just fine though; it's a quite powerful Kaby Lake quad-core; you'd only need the i7 if you were expressly leveraging it for some CPU-intensive task, like doing video transcoding for a for-profit Youtube channel or whatever. For ~$800 that setup is a great deal on a gaming laptop. For reference, here's a video I repeatedly post that compares most if not all of the near-clone 1050 laptops:

Star posted:

Hmmm okey. What would a better but not crazy expensive graphics card be? I've been playing in a 660M for the last four years and that's worked okay.

The 1050 Ti (4 GB) is way more powerful than the 660M (or the 765M, which I thought the GE60 had) so you'll be fine. The 1050 can do FHD gaming at medium details, and is effectively a full desktop GPU, contrasted with the older "mobile" GPUs. The only other thing I'll mention is that while those 1050 laptops max out around $1k and above, there's now a 1060 6 GB laptop, the Acer Predator Helios 300 at around the same price. Because of that, I'd have to recommend this laptop over any of the 1050 ones unless you were going for one of the ~$800 entry-level ones with the i5 like you're doing, which is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5RbW1A2Ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvID5D_Bkl4

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

All of those 2D/"indie" games should be fine. Diablo 3 will probably run, but with compromises (e.g. resolution and/or details.) I found this video of a guy playing it on a Compute Stick with similar specs (the same GPU, but a slightly slower CPU) and it looks like it's getting <30 FPS at FHD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvJTUNUUAY

Sort of related, I've been investigating gaming on the HD 620, and while stuff kind of runs, it's not really a good experience. Overwatch, for example, runs at minimum details, with scaling at auto (which usually has it at 33%) and is still a blurry mess. Playable, not too enjoyable. The 940MX is a huge increase over Intel iGPUs, definitely.

The Y520 is one of the perfectly fine 1050 Ti laptops; the specs you listed are just fine for your gaming needs, and I'm pretty sure you can easily add some RAM and an HDD yourself in the near future (definitely more cost effective to do it yourself, even right after purchase, though.) That CPU is just fine though; it's a quite powerful Kaby Lake quad-core; you'd only need the i7 if you were expressly leveraging it for some CPU-intensive task, like doing video transcoding for a for-profit Youtube channel or whatever. For ~$800 that setup is a great deal on a gaming laptop. For reference, here's a video I repeatedly post that compares most if not all of the near-clone 1050 laptops:

The 1050 Ti (4 GB) is way more powerful than the 660M (or the 765M, which I thought the GE60 had) so you'll be fine. The 1050 can do FHD gaming at medium details, and is effectively a full desktop GPU, contrasted with the older "mobile" GPUs. The only other thing I'll mention is that while those 1050 laptops max out around $1k and above, there's now a 1060 6 GB laptop, the Acer Predator Helios 300 at around the same price. Because of that, I'd have to recommend this laptop over any of the 1050 ones unless you were going for one of the ~$800 entry-level ones with the i5 like you're doing, which is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5RbW1A2Ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvID5D_Bkl4

Thank you so much! Really helpful and makes me lean toward buying a Y520 since it seems like I will get a lot for the money. The Acer looks fine as well but it doesn't seem available where I live and the added costs if I buy it on amazon will make it quite expensive.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking for a replacement to my 2011 laptop. I'll hoping for something that I might be able to use as both a tablet and laptop. Uses would be internet browsing, watching occasional tv in bed, and playing older games like Baldurs Gate, etc.

I'd be looking for portability as one of the main factors

Yoga? Spectre? Surface? What's good these days?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sincx posted:

Is it worth it to repaste my XPS 15 9560? It gets hot and loud when I'm gaming, but have not noticed any throttling yet.

If I do re-paste, I'm too paranoid to use liquid metal, so I'll probably stick with the MX-4 or Noctua NT-H1. Will the improvement be worth it? Also, what's all this I hear about the thermal pads?

I was about to do it to mine but got scared away by a few accounts saying the heat sink is extremely thin and easy to bend. Report back if it goes well for you, I think I still might go ahead with it.

One thing you can do to lower temps without repairing is undervolting the CPU a bit. I got good and stable results by doing -0.100V.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm looking to replace my 2011 HP laptop. The cooling fan went out. I tried replacing the fan and the new one doesn't work either, so I'm not sure what's going on. One of the screws is now stripped out too, so I can't get back into it. The battery's old and the WiFi card's driver doesn't quite work with Windows 10.

I've got my eye on an HP Envy with the following specs, discounted through work at $1099:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-7500U + Intel® HD Graphics 620
  • 12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM
  • 15.6" diagonal UHD IPS UWVA WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160) Touchscreen (for HD Camera)
  • 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
I don't do any gaming on my laptop, but I'm a spec nerd and want my laptop to be able to last several years like my old one did. Am I way over-speccing this thing? I feel like it's a great deal from the browsing I've done. Should I just get my current laptop repaired rather than replace it (if possible)? It's still perfectly usable outside of the issues mentioned above.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dango Bango posted:

I'm looking to replace my 2011 HP laptop. The cooling fan went out. I tried replacing the fan and the new one doesn't work either, so I'm not sure what's going on. One of the screws is now stripped out too, so I can't get back into it. The battery's old and the WiFi card's driver doesn't quite work with Windows 10.

I've got my eye on an HP Envy with the following specs, discounted through work at $1099:
  • 12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM
  • 15.6" diagonal UHD IPS UWVA WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160) Touchscreen (for HD Camera)
I don't do any gaming on my laptop, but I'm a spec nerd and want my laptop to be able to last several years like my old one did. Am I way over-speccing this thing? I feel like it's a great deal from the browsing I've done. Should I just get my current laptop repaired rather than replace it (if possible)? It's still perfectly usable outside of the issues mentioned above.

I assume you're nabbing it through this?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/get-4k-hp-envy-15t-1tb-ssd-1090

Either way though, you're not going to get better specs in a decent body anywhere else. 15 inches is quite large though, so be aware of that.

There are probably other laptops like the XPS 13 that would serve better, but you'd be paying a great deal more for worse specs, and the HP Envy is by no means bad, though hardly premium.

And you really just aren't going to find better specs anywhere.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

• 12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM

I'd say you've gotten plenty of use out of a 6-year-old laptop, so unless it was really cheap to fix (i.e. <$50) I'd almost recommend just replacing it. I mean a new battery's probably $50 right there, and you could add a USB WiFi adapter pretty cheaply but who knows what the fan issue is (maybe some damage to the mobo?) If it was still a nice, high-end laptop with good specs you could consider repairing it, but it does sound like it's on its way out.

With that being said, $1.1k for a casual-use non-gaming laptop is overkill. A 1 TB NVMe SSD is easily 1/3 the cost of the whole laptop and is totally unnecessary for most people, because even if you needed the storage you probably could make do with a smaller (256 GB) boot drive and then a 2.5" HDD for hundreds less. If you stored games on the SSD, maybe it'd be worth it, but you don't, and even if you have tons of local media they don't need to be on an SSD. The RAM is fine, although 8 GB would be more than enough for non-gaming. A 4k display is, again, probably overkill on a display that small. The CPU is also fine, but keep in mind an i7-U is mostly just a faster version of an i5 or i3-U CPU.

This would be my recommendation to you for a casual, general-purpose laptop. Add 4 GB of RAM and an m.2 SSD and you've got a fully-functional laptop for ~$400. It even has a decent display and backlit keyboard.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's not a bad option, laptops with off center trackpads make me irrationally angry though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Hadlock posted:

That's not a bad option, laptops with off center trackpads make me irrationally angry though

You should see this one then. http://www.pcgamer.com/asus-rog-zephyrus-review/