Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any thoughts on the Samsung Frame TV from the information available so far? I love the idea of industrial design other than a black rectangle, so this looks great to me.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/16/15816296/samsung-frame-tv-will-start-at-2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fetko posted:

I need some help getting Netflix to play HDR from my shield TV.

I have an LG 65 C6P with the shield TV running through a Denon AVR-x3300w. HDR works fine through the Amazon video app on the shield TV. The Netflix app only shows a 4K Ultra HD tag, not HDR. The shield is set to default settings for refresh rate (59.94) and color space (4:2:0 10 bit 2020). My Netflix account is enabled for UHD and i have playback settings set to high. The firmware is up to date and I don't see an option to update the Netflix app.

I've tried changing settings on the shield TV to 60 Hz. I tried different color spaces. Rebooting the shield TV with the rest of the equipment on each time. I tried signing out of Netflix and back in, clearing data and cache as well. Nothing works to get an HDR tag.

Anyone here run into similar issues and resolve them? Any other suggestions?

What are you trying to play? Not much of Netflix's 4k content is in HDR.

You should really be using the internal TV app for Netflix HDR anyways. Netflix has all their HDR content available in Dolby Vision which the Shield can't do.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

bull3964 posted:

What are you trying to play? Not much of Netflix's 4k content is in HDR.

You should really be using the internal TV app for Netflix HDR anyways. Netflix has all their HDR content available in Dolby Vision which the Shield can't do.

So, looks like it was a combination of content and being confused by the tags in the Netflix app. The new Orange is the New Black season is the first thing I'm watching through Netflix on the shield and i was assuming it was HDR. That combined with the picture from the link below showing an HDR tag made me think nothing was coming up. Just started Luke Cage and it is playing in HDR. Not tagged as HDR in the menu though. Thanks bull!

Link: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/992021/shield-tv/hdr-not-working-in-netflix/post/5077509/#5077509

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Kobayashi posted:

Any thoughts on the Samsung Frame TV from the information available so far? I love the idea of industrial design other than a black rectangle, so this looks great to me.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/16/15816296/samsung-frame-tv-will-start-at-2000

I think it looks quite nice. According to CNet though, it's roughly a $700-1000 premium on the screen, plus another $200 if you want a non-black bezel. Hard for me to justify that kind of premium when the superior LG OLED screen is the same price, but whatever floats your boat.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Edit: never mind

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

tk posted:

I think it looks quite nice. According to CNet though, it's roughly a $700-1000 premium on the screen, plus another $200 if you want a non-black bezel. Hard for me to justify that kind of premium when the superior LG OLED screen is the same price, but whatever floats your boat.

Yeah it's stylish but it seems like kind of a gimmick. It's not like anybody is going to have any trouble figuring out that it's a big gently caress-off television on your wall instead of a 65 inch illuminated print of waterlillies or something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I picked up a Vizio m65e0, is there really only 1 port that does HDR? I have my Xbox one s plugged into HDMI 2 but I have no option to set the Full UHD color setting. I couldn't find the answer in the manual or googling.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How are the current batch of OLEDs for gaming? Do they have noticeable input lag? I've had my Pioneer Plasma for like 8 years now, and I'm ready to upgrade, but at this point the next TV Im gonna buy will be OLED for sure. If the tech isn't there yet, I'll just wait another year or two.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Megasabin posted:

How are the current batch of OLEDs for gaming? Do they have noticeable input lag? I've had my Pioneer Plasma for like 8 years now, and I'm ready to upgrade, but at this point the next TV Im gonna buy will be OLED for sure. If the tech isn't there yet, I'll just wait another year or two.

They mostly fixed input lag on the 2016 lg oleds. The 2017 lg oled is a little bit better, input lag wise, than the 2016 but not enough to make it worth it to pay $500-$700 more for the 2017 model over the 2016 models.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Ahhh why is this so hard to google, don't suppose anyone has a quick answer on how to remove the legs/stand from a ks8000 purty please? Moving out and trying to get it back in the box

E: In usual fashion just had to post about it to figure it out, just had to get the right angle to pry it out with a flathead

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 23, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

cant wait to see people hang this yet not put in the effort to put the wires in the wall

to me, the oled is more stunning due to how thin it is

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sellouts posted:

cant wait to see people hang this yet not put in the effort to put the wires in the wall

Yeah, it still blows my mind. I bought a U-Haul TV moving box the other day and the corner foam's smallest opening is like 2"... yeah the OLED is 0.25" thick at the top, time to redesign your stuff. (Luckily it got moved safe and sound, phew).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sellouts posted:

If its like the LG you CANT legally put the wires in the wall.

EDIT: all their promo material shows the wire ON the wall so im pretty sure its the same.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
If you really wanted that look just get some wood trim and box in around your TV. Just don't block the vents or IR sensor for the remote. I guess you have to not suck at woodworking to make it not horrible looking too.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

teh_Broseph posted:

Ahhh why is this so hard to google, don't suppose anyone has a quick answer on how to remove the legs/stand from a ks8000 purty please? Moving out and trying to get it back in the box

E: In usual fashion just had to post about it to figure it out, just had to get the right angle to pry it out with a flathead

I had the same issue, those legs are pretty hard to remove

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sharp, now under Foxconn ownership, is said to start making their own OLED panels next year.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/06/23/sharp-oled-tv-rumor/

Good. The LG stuff is good, but having competition is always nice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the more people making panels the better.

Only downside following my move is that I now sit about 12 feet away from my TV, and 65" is feeling small. Curse you $15k 77" model (although I'm sure the model from the other year was about $10k more. Progress!)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have some small hope that if more people are making panels, we might get some smaller OLED TV's. I would love to have a 40 incher in my bedroom.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I mean surely OLED will eventually wipe out LCD except for the budget market? Samsung can't keep leaving that money on the table.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think Samsung is leaving any money on the table when they are charging 1.5x OLED money for gussied up LED backlit LCDs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah but I don't imagine that's the bulk of what they sell or that they're doing well in that price range? I honestly have no data to back that up but you'd think people who do any amount of research before purchase and are spending 1500+ would mostly be buying OLED.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dogen posted:

Yeah but I don't imagine that's the bulk of what they sell or that they're doing well in that price range? I honestly have no data to back that up but you'd think people who do any amount of research before purchase and are spending 1500+ would mostly be buying OLED.

Don't read any Dolby Vision vs HDR10 arguments.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a x930e my first ever "expensive" tv. Hope I don't regret it. Going from a year old ks6300 that I can't loving stand. Fell for fake hdr marketing on that one

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Don't read any Dolby Vision vs HDR10 arguments.

I mean the only argument against it is that it's proprietary, I think. It seems better in every other respect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dogen posted:

I mean the only argument against it is that it's proprietary, I think. It seems better in every other respect.

What I meant was there's a large subset of supporters of Samsung's high end TVs because OLEDs "don't get bright enough" to do HDR10 properly and that Dolby Vision is a crutch for garbage TVs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That's cognitive dissonance for you, I guess.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Don't get me wrong I love my KS8000 and for the size and at the price point I paid I would have had to buy three times the television to get into an OLED but there's literally no way anyone is going to be buying an LCD panel in five years.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Pretty much, exactly, yes

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's why I keep cancelling my x930e. Although the jump from that to a OLED apparently isn't that big?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

So I got this 2016 Vizio e65-e0 for a great price at Costco because it was a great price, and now I'm wondering how a TV can get a firmware upgrade to support HDR10? Or maybe it makes perfect sense and I should just be happy it's got something.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
HDR TV involves a wider range of brightness and colors than older TV standards, so backported support for an HDR standard probably involves taking the HDR picture and squishing it down to something the TV can display, rather than putting up an error message that says the TV doesn't know what to do with HDR signals. I doubt it would look better than standard TV on a TV that isn't capable of the wider values a proper HDR TV can display.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It is possible as well for a TV to have had HDR-supporting hardware but the firmware support had some critical bug discovered before shipping which got fixed later.

Not saying that's the case here, but it's plausible.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I still don't understand the concept of HDR where on the low end TVs the reviews basically say "The TV takes an HDR signal, but you won't be able to see the difference"

That's like if 15 years ago I bought a SD TV that basically said "It can take an HD signal, but you won't be able to see the difference". Well then what is the loving point?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

By "takes" they mean your TV won't explode. It's compatibility only.

This is a good thing!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
But what sources exist that only send HDR?

HDMI has automatic negotiation of supported modes. The TV tells the device it doesn't support HDR, the device doesn't send a HDR signal, everything's happy.

There is no technically meaningful reason to "support" HDR without actually being capable of making use of it.

It's a "feature" that exists only to trick people who don't know any better and think they're actually buying a HDR capable set.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Astro7x posted:

I still don't understand the concept of HDR where on the low end TVs the reviews basically say "The TV takes an HDR signal, but you won't be able to see the difference"

That's like if 15 years ago I bought a SD TV that basically said "It can take an HD signal, but you won't be able to see the difference". Well then what is the loving point?
Displaying some sort of image > displaying a black screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bill Barber posted:

Displaying some sort of image > displaying a black screen.

The latter should never happen though.

It's all 100% backward compatible.

Unless the display offers some expansion on the REC709 colorspace or some enhanced highlight brightness, there's no reason to accept an HDR signal on a non-hdr display.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Exactly. Since there's no rational reason for a source device to refuse to provide a non-HDR signal the only purpose for this "feature" other than marketing trickery would be if some lovely source existed that would only send a HDR signal regardless of what the sink tells it.

Considering such a source wouldn't work on the vast majority of HDMI sinks that have ever been produced, I'd be willing to bet against it even existing at this point. Maybe in the future there might be some boutique HDR-only streaming service that sells a dedicated appliance to people with more money than brains which intentionally refuses to downscale for *reasons*, but not yet.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Facebook just popped an ad for the Bravia OLED at me - how does this line compare to the LG? I could be wrong but I don't think I have seen it mentioned here much.

Heartbreakingly, the 77" is retailing for a bit above my price range, despite it being a perfect TV for the space I have downstairs. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Sonys use the same panel as the high-end LGs but they have different motion and color processing [which reviewers seem to like better] and android tv [which people seem to tolerate but not love].