Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

N: Marlins are sending Adeiny Hechavarria to the Rays for 2 minor leaguers.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/879426395306328064

V: I guess Loria saw how the Mets were distracting everybody on the "Horrible team mismanagement" front and are gonna try to sneak a few moves in.

I don't hate this like other people seem to. They got two minor league players for a ~1 WAR shortstop who is also a pending free agent? Even if their ceiling is about 3 feet high, seems like a decent move?

They "won" the Jose Reyes/Mark Buehrle trade, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Inspector_666 posted:

N: Marlins are sending Adeiny Hechavarria to the Rays for 2 minor leaguers.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/879426395306328064

V: I guess Loria saw how the Mets were distracting everybody on the "Horrible team mismanagement" front and are gonna try to sneak a few moves in.

EDIT: Uhhhhh I didn't realize how wretched Adeiny has been at the plate his entire career, this isn't as odious as I thought?

Hechavarria will also have a soft spot in my heart because he made the dinger machine go off in the next-to-last at-bat of the Marlins game I went to. Thanks Adeiny.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

I don't hate this like other people seem to. They got two minor league players for a ~1 WAR shortstop who is also a pending free agent? Even if their ceiling is about 3 feet high, seems like a decent move?

They "won" the Jose Reyes/Mark Buehrle trade, too.

Yeah I didn't realize that Adeiny wasn't just glove-first, but glove-only.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: Uhhhhh I didn't realize how wretched Adeiny has been at the plate his entire career, this isn't as odious as I thought?

Hech's bat is dead as a doornail, and JT Riddle, while not a defensive juggernaut, has been producing really well. I love Adeiny for sentimental reasons kinda, he was one of my first favorite Marlins back when I was trying to still pretend that I wasn't a part-time Marlins fan, but I'm very excited to usher in the Riddler era.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah I didn't realize that Adeiny wasn't just glove-first, but glove-only.

I mean, feel free to hate the Marlins and Loria for wasting the overlapping prime years of a pretty incredible core of players.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Not nearly as obnoxious as the thousand minute-long "Go Ask Dad" shaver commercials.

Maybe a month ago on a Sunday (I think it was Memorial Day weekend, actually), I was sprawled out on my couch with the worst migraine I've had in years, and I had MLB.tv on in the background, it was either a Cubs or O's game.

I swear to God, that loving commercial was playing twice every single commercial break. I was ready to throw the TV through the window.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Maybe a month ago on a Sunday (I think it was Memorial Day weekend, actually), I was sprawled out on my couch with the worst migraine I've had in years, and I had MLB.tv on in the background, it was either a Cubs or O's game.

I swear to God, that loving commercial was playing twice every single commercial break. I was ready to throw the TV through the window.

Try watching these games with a non-baseball fan and see just how fast they get really loving annoyed that they're just watching to be a good sport and they have to watch these loving commercials on repeat.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Speaking of watching games with a non-baseball fan, I went to my first minor league game on Saturday with someone (my friend had to drop out because of a family emergency), and surprise surprise, it was loving terrible. I'm never going to a game with a non-fan ever again.

edit: to be clear, I put my friend's ticket up for grabs on Facebook, hid basically everyone that I thought wouldn't have any interest & that I wouldn't want to go with anyway, and she was of course the first to reply. I didn't try to rope anyone into anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watch games on the Fox Sports app and for me its some Jason Kipnis "dirty" ad for the MLB app. Its slowly driving my insane.

There's a Jose Altuve 5-hour energy commercial that's quickly joining it. I'm starting to recite the dialogue randomly as I try to fall asleep.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Unblock-us stopped working for MLB.tv on my Blu Ray. Did some troubleshooting but just signed up for cable since I couldn't figure it out. Oh well.

Honestly the picture quality is no different now than it was when I streamed it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Meister posted:

Unblock-us stopped working for MLB.tv on my Blu Ray.

Because, as was mentioned earlier, MLB.tv has been actively cracking down on VPN users, and quite often they'll simply ban your account without so much as a warning.

They weren't as strict about it previously, but ever since that lawsuit over the blackout rules was settled, they began going after VPNs hard, otherwise they would have faced a revolt from cable operators.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
MLB.tv will eventually crack down on adblockers.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I get why MLBtv costs ~$125 per season instead of ~$20 per month but is there a reason they don't have a monthly option at all?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

I get why MLBtv costs ~$125 per season instead of ~$20 per month but is there a reason they don't have a monthly option at all?

There's probably not a good reason other than they know that people will pay it and they get it all in one lump sum instead of monthly fees.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

I watch games on the Fox Sports app and for me its some Jason Kipnis "dirty" ad for the MLB app. Its slowly driving my insane.

There's a Jose Altuve 5-hour energy commercial that's quickly joining it. I'm starting to recite the dialogue randomly as I try to fall asleep.

I love both of those ads, especially the Altuve one.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Because when early expectations fizzle out ala Giants and Blue Jays this year they don't want people to be able to just drop off probably

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Because when early expectations fizzle out ala Giants and Blue Jays this year they don't want people to be able to just drop off probably

My interest level in baseball also takes a significant hit once football starts up in end of August/ start of September too.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Baseball is the only sport I watch and care about :(

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Paul Zuvella posted:

Getting upset about the current 8th place dude in outfield voting is pretty dumb. Dude won't even sniff the All Star Game

*seven injuries later*

Your Houston Astros All-Star Outfielder, Carlos Beltran!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rand alPaul posted:

I care about football and playoff hockey, but I don't give up on the baseball season until the last game is played, even if the Yankees don't get past the 162nd.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I care about football and playoff hockey, but I don't give up on the baseball season until the last game is played, even if the Yankees don't get past the 162nd.

I read some stat that Jeter played single digit games in his career in which the yankees were mathematically eliminated so please don't act like this is remotely relatable

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

I read some stat that Jeter played single digit games in his career in which the yankees were mathematically eliminated so please don't act like this is remotely relatable

Recency bias.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Timby posted:

Because, as was mentioned earlier, MLB.tv has been actively cracking down on VPN users, and quite often they'll simply ban your account without so much as a warning.

They weren't as strict about it previously, but ever since that lawsuit over the blackout rules was settled, they began going after VPNs hard, otherwise they would have faced a revolt from cable operators.

My account isn't banned. The DNS spoofing just doesn't work. I can watch it using a VPN on my computer but the quality sucks and my wife complains so I'll just give money to Spectrum. Oh well.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rand alPaul posted:

Same :(:hf::(

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

I watch the playoffs and the series even if I hate the teams, and then I sort of just get really sad like 3 days after it's all over. I usually will buy MLB the Show for half-price and make gimmick teams during the long, cold winter months to tide me over.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Recency bias.

:)

It's seriously crazy though to think that the last time the Yankees were mathematically eliminated early* was 1992

* don't know exact criteria for 'early' but '92 was the last time they finished below .500, gotta assume they were in it til relatively late in those 84 win seasons

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of watching games with a non-baseball fan, I went to my first minor league game on Saturday with someone (my friend had to drop out because of a family emergency), and surprise surprise, it was loving terrible. I'm never going to a game with a non-fan ever again.

edit: to be clear, I put my friend's ticket up for grabs on Facebook, hid basically everyone that I thought wouldn't have any interest & that I wouldn't want to go with anyway, and she was of course the first to reply. I didn't try to rope anyone into anything.

Huh. In my experience even people who don't give a poo poo about baseball tend to enjoy going to a live game, especially at minor league games where it's cheaper, it's like going to BBQ or something for them, just a chill evening outdoors where there happen to be dudes playing a sport that you can laugh at when they gently caress up.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Timby posted:

Yeah, and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't need a reminder that my dad is dead every goddamn commercial break.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rand alPaul posted:

:sigh::hf::sigh:

My sister has been trying to get me into basketball but lol the bulls

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Dutchy posted:

Huh. In my experience even people who don't give a poo poo about baseball tend to enjoy going to a live game, especially at minor league games where it's cheaper, it's like going to BBQ or something for them, just a chill evening outdoors where there happen to be dudes playing a sport that you can laugh at when they gently caress up.

She mostly talked about how she never liked any sports and thought they were silly, then cheered whenever either team did anything. Opposing team catches ball? Yay! Home team hits ball foul? Yay! Home team hits home run? Yay! It was also hot as balls and there was no shade, so I was a bit more irritable than usual. She also claimed she was drunk after like two under-sized beers. Ugh.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't need a reminder that my dad is dead every goddamn commercial break.

June sucks :sigh::hf::sigh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeeeep.

I guess I should get into football, since the Seahawks are apparently good, but eh.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Joe Simpson found a new level of old man opinion: he got mad at the SunTrust Park organist for playing while the Braves were getting blown out. This is like the galaxy brain meme version of getting mad at players who still look like they're having fun when the team is losing. I remember hearing him say this, it was right after Teheran got yanked after giving up like a double to the pitcher to open the fourth, but I didn't catch what Joe was ranting about cause I just tune out whenever he starts on about what grinds his gears these days.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Joe Simpson found a new level of old man opinion: he got mad at the SunTrust Park organist for playing while the Braves were getting blown out. This is like the galaxy brain meme version of getting mad at players who still look like they're having fun when the team is losing. I remember hearing him say this, it was right after Teheran got yanked after giving up like a double to the pitcher to open the fourth, but I didn't catch what Joe was ranting about cause I just tune out whenever he starts on about what grinds his gears these days.

Joe Simpsons only redeeming factor is that he looks just like Colin Mocharie and he's funny, so I laugh when I see Joe Simpson.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

New Concept Hole posted:

*seven injuries later*

Your Houston Astros All-Star Outfielder, Carlos Beltran!

One of those guys is already injured :v:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Giants respond to report that their collapse this season was caused by Mark Melancon changing the bullpen's warmup time.

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/879486074308804609

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Joe Simpsons only redeeming factor is that he looks just like Colin Mocharie and he's funny, so I laugh when I see Joe Simpson.

When Joe Simpson tore his Achilles a couple years ago, Paul Byrd and Tom Glavine took turns filling in for him and the broadcasts were a lot more enjoyable.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

javy
https://twitter.com/Cubs_Live/status/879490642006724609

e: welcome to the Javy Experience

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 27, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Giants respond to report that their collapse this season was caused by Mark Melancon changing the bullpen's warmup time.

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/879486074308804609
Personally I'm more a fan of the "everyone was brought together by our mutual hatred of Angel Pagan" theory for why the Giants are garbage now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i got the show 17, which is my first baseball game since world series baseball '96 for the gensis. some thoughts:

*It's dumb that they trap you in a Cubs game with no way to exit and with no explanation that the game has to download even more crap that wasn't on the disc before you can play for real.

*let me have female players MLB, there's no rule that says a woman can't play baseball.

*after going 1-17 in the pre-draft exhibition and being drafted in the 6th round by the, ugh, cardinals, i realized you have to hold down the swing buttons not just hit them and i've gone .452avg .986slg through the first 8 games of the aa season. for some reason i am still the DH even though my guy's stats are all glove no bat, lol.

*harold reynolds is realistically dumb. he keeps marvelling at my player swinging first pitch despite the fact that the charts show that my player has not seen a single ball so far this season. no poo poo i'm swinging at strikes.

overall this is fun though the clubhouse vignettes are real cliche and it's annoying that jen jenkins has to look like a long legged fat man with a gray afro and yellow beard instead of rosie o'donnell in a league of their own.

thanks for reading bye

• Locked thread