Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

A couple of slightly better photos of my car. Still dirty and still meaning to take some good shots...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

DropShadow posted:

I put my Vorsteiners back on. HOPEFULLY AI APPROVES.

My Grand Cherokee is paid off but every time you post it makes me want to get an Allroad and wild out with the mods. I love your car.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

My Grand Cherokee is paid off but every time you post it makes me want to get an Allroad and wild out with the mods. I love your car.

oh stop, you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DropShadow posted:

oh stop, you.

Jesus Christ.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

monsterzero posted:

Glad to hear I didn't do too awfully. If you guys live somewhere trucks are cheap send them my way.
I paid a little more than I wanted ($2750) and I broke one of my own rules and bought from a curbstoner. I spent a good three weeks looking for a truck and anything priced reasonably was snapped up almost instantly (by redneck car flippers, I assume.) Anything that was posted more than a few hours was located in BFE, had some problem with the title/registration or the seller was unresponsive. Usually two of the three.
I took a chance on this one because it was 5-years newer than anything else I had seen at the price, and I figure 160k and 250k aren't really that different since I would probably need to fix everything on the former anyway.

$2750 seems like a steal for that. Around here that would be priced around 4k, maybe more because its not rotted, especially from a flipper.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So I bought a thing. The least AI car I have ever owned. :v:

Edit* 2013 47,000 miles, $13,200 out the door. Somehow the previous owners got 34.5mpg on average out of it. :psyduck:

cageeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sep 6, 2012

by zen death robot

ratbert90 posted:

Edit* 2013 47,000 miles, $13,200 out the door. Somehow the previous owners got 34.5mpg on average out of it. :psyduck:
Thats a malibu? Is it the same engine as the cruze? If so, oil changes will be such a breeze. I helped a friend out and the filter is a canister type that you access from the top with a socket. Never saw one of those before but I've only been doing fords and oldsmobiles.

Not a bad looking car, that grill could use a little black somewhere though.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

cageeeeeeeeeeeeeee fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 23, 2017

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

cageeeeeeeeeeeeeee posted:

Thats a malibu? Is it the same engine as the cruze? If so, oil changes will be such a breeze. I helped a friend out and the filter is a canister type that you access from the top with a socket. Never saw one of those before but I've only been doing fords and oldsmobiles.

Not a bad looking car, that grill could use a little black somewhere though.

It's a Volt. It should be getting way better than 34mpg.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd be kind of scared why it gets that low MPG.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'd be kind of scared why it gets that low MPG.

I have used 2 gallons in a week. I think the previous owners never EVER charged the batteries and drove it aggressively in town and never on the freeway.

So far I have averaged over 100mpg.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 23, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

I have used 2 gallons in a week. I think the previous owners never EVER charged the batteries and drove it aggressively in town and never on the freeway.

So far I have average over 100mpg.

Hypermiling is a kind of AI.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It *is* like some kind of reverse GOP screed. "Less gas for me, gently caress you!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It *is* like some kind of reverse GOP screed. "Less gas for me, gently caress you!"

All the public charging stations here are free as well. :smug:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Eh.

If I don't charge at all, and drive 80mph to work and back, 90 miles of freeway per day, I average 33mpg in my cmax energi

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

So, this happened to my '98 Lexus GS300 a few weeks ago:

Parked (legally) outside of my office, truck took a corner too close and did some damage. Initial repair estimate was $4700, Bluebook was $4500. So, I took all the nice parts off of it, trucker's insurance cut me a check for $5000 and I did the only reasonable thing I could think of:

Buy a 23 year old Honda with 246,000 miles for $1700.

Which I promptly lowered 1.5" and threw some JDM Type R Integra wheels on. As well as replaced motor mounts, gaskets, shocks, ball joints and a few other assorted knick knacks.

The rest of that sweet, sweet insurance $$ will go to finishing up this:

Which I bought for $500. Picked up from middle of nowhere Georgia from a guy that probably can't buy Sudafed from the local drugstore anymore. Interior is already stripped, just cleaning that up. Removing lots of green spray paint and attempting to fix the complete botch job somebody did of removing the factory sunroof. Actually still runs, but there's a hole in the block about the size of my fist.

So that I can drop in this:

Which is a B20/VTEC that I've been building in my living room since last summer. Set up for N/A now, curious to see how much power I can get out of it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm honestly disappointed, I thought when you said you'd taken parts of the Lexus and then posted the Honda I thought that thing was going to receive a 2JZ...

HOWEVER, any CRX getting love is a loving cool thing so I'm less annoyed now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ratbert90 posted:

Looks like the perfect thing to commute it.

Looking at the dimensions they're actually a lot smaller than thought - I was under the impression it was quite a large car but it's actually smaller than my Mazda 3 in most dimensions. That'd be a good thing because the 3 barely fits in my garage.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

Which is a B20/VTEC that I've been building in my living room since last summer. Set up for N/A now, curious to see how much power I can get out of it.

That accord is bitching. The crx is more bitching. That motor?

Do me. Please.

Your build needs a thread. It's pretty similar to an idea I have but can't afford for some time. Sigh.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I haven't posted a pic of my car in here since I got it 2 years ago so I figured I could do an update. Just got done giving it a light wash, it's real fuckin hot out so I'm not going crazy cleaning.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Mmm, very nice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Buhbuhj posted:

I haven't posted a pic of my car in here since I got it 2 years ago so I figured I could do an update. Just got done giving it a light wash, it's real fuckin hot out so I'm not going crazy cleaning.

The angle on this photo makes it look biiiiiiiiig.

It looks like a shark also though so it's cool. What's with the colour accents, are they dealer options or just personal?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
That's actually one of the cars best angles, it looks super long from the side(it is).

I put all the red stuff on the car. I thought it would compliment the white/black of everything else. You can't see if from this photo but I painted the spoiler matte black and the calipers are also the same red as the mirrors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

The rest of that sweet, sweet insurance $$ will go to finishing up this:

Which I bought for $500. Picked up from middle of nowhere Georgia from a guy that probably can't buy Sudafed from the local drugstore anymore. Interior is already stripped, just cleaning that up. Removing lots of green spray paint and attempting to fix the complete botch job somebody did of removing the factory sunroof. Actually still runs, but there's a hole in the block about the size of my fist.

So that I can drop in this:

I want to see a whole thread about this ratty-rear end CRX.

Is the B20 really an engine worth saving? I thought they were pretty crappy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Buhbuhj posted:

That's actually one of the cars best angles, it looks super long from the side(it is).

I put all the red stuff on the car. I thought it would compliment the white/black of everything else. You can't see if from this photo but I painted the spoiler matte black and the calipers are also the same red as the mirrors.

I like it. Rims suit it perfectly too.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, not sure why it's not a LSVTEC.

Edit*
I guess B20's are cheap and reliable. Good for cheap boost as well.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

So this thing got delivered today. Broken gearbox, no brakes, and hasn't run in years, should be fun to fix up!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Grakkus posted:

So this thing got delivered today. Broken gearbox, no brakes, and hasn't run in years, should be fun to fix up!

That's a good lookin' car. Good luck with the resurrection.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

I approve of this project. Please create a thread immediately.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I like it. Rims suit it perfectly too.

Just for you I went out and took 2 alternate angles.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Was it a private sale or from a dealer? I read that a lot of Volts were used as fleet cars and run like a typical hybrid, never being plugged in.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Aargh posted:

A couple of slightly better photos of my car. Still dirty and still meaning to take some good shots...

Nice! DSG or manual?

I keep going back and forth between wanting on of these to replace my Fiesta ST, or getting an older Forester XT. The Skoda is so cool but I want a wagon to haul bikes/camping gear, and the vRS is just as low as my Fiesta which scrapes everything the moment I leave pavement

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Buhbuhj posted:

Just for you I went out and took 2 alternate angles.

Man I never actually noticed the body crease over the rear quarter (the one over the gas cap) of the car before now. :allears:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 26, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

I approve of this project. Please create a thread immediately.

Second

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, not sure why it's not a LSVTEC.

Edit*
I guess B20's are cheap and reliable. Good for cheap boost as well.

I could be misreading your comments, so if I'm just stating what you already know, forgive me. The motor he's built is a b20 vtec hybrid. "Hybrid" because he's putting a vtec head where there wasn't one before. Very similar to the lsvtec, just a bigger displacement starting point.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

sadnessboner posted:

Nice! DSG or manual?

I keep going back and forth between wanting on of these to replace my Fiesta ST, or getting an older Forester XT. The Skoda is so cool but I want a wagon to haul bikes/camping gear, and the vRS is just as low as my Fiesta which scrapes everything the moment I leave pavement

It's a DSG, I briefly considered the manual but realistically I drive it for work 90% of the time in city traffic.

I haven't scraped anything yet but the most off road it's been is parking in a paddock / construction site. I've added the mudflaps too which I would've thought would increase the ground clearance issues too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I could be misreading your comments, so if I'm just stating what you already know, forgive me. The motor he's built is a b20 vtec hybrid. "Hybrid" because he's putting a vtec head where there wasn't one before. Very similar to the lsvtec, just a bigger displacement starting point.

That makes a lot more sense to me, thank you. Never assume that I know anything about Hondas, the one in my driveway is fun because every time I mess with it I get to learn new poo poo.

I know that LS/VTECs historically(?) have been based on a B18 but is that just because of availability or was that something they just now figured out with the slightly larger B20 from a CR-V?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

That makes a lot more sense to me, thank you. Never assume that I know anything about Hondas, the one in my driveway is fun because every time I mess with it I get to learn new poo poo.

I know that LS/VTECs historically(?) have been based on a B18 but is that just because of availability or was that something they just now figured out with the slightly larger B20 from a CR-V?

Right re:availability. And just so we are on the same page...Ls/vtec is exactly what it sounds like too. Non-vtec b18 (so a b18a or b18b) with a vtec head thrown on.

Both motors really started taking off right around 2000. The b18 option probably tended to be a little more popular due to availability (more integras in the LS trim than crvs across the board, I think because that motor was out for longer) and cost (with the b20, you have to do more potential internals work to get a reliable build).

The cool part of these motors is that depending on build, you would probably get a little more torque out of one than the b18c counterparts - the a/b had a longer stroke because they weren't revved to the comparative stars to get the rippums for their HP output. And the b20 was also just a straight up larger displacement, not just stroke.

My dream build is a ef chassis with b20vtec. JRSC(Jackson racing supercharger) would be a nice bonus, but probably not possible due to space/packaging constraints.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Pretty much this. The original plan was an LS/VTEC, but a complete B20 bottom end popped up on Craigslist for $100, so... The LS Block would have been ideal, the sleeves are a weak point in the B20, but the whole idea behind this was to try and build an entire car for less than what it would have taken for me to turbo the Lexus. For how cheap all of this has been (relatively, at least) I don't mind testing the limits of the stock B20 block for curiosity's sake. Honda stuff is so ridiculously cheap. The entire engine so far has come out a little cheaper than just a 2JZGTE and transmission would have been for the GS300.

I'll put together a build thread eventually, I really just wanted to get the CRX a little further along before I started posting about it. I still have to get the blown stock motor out, rebuild the b-Series transmission sitting on my porch and work out a few other odds and ends. This is also the first time I've built an entire engine from scratch, so there is a possibility it just explodes the first time I try and fire it up. Cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Just picked up this 03 Tahoe with 110k miles from a fire dept. Will be using as a weekend warrior work truck. A/C started working with a recharge cannister.

I'd like to throw some money at it because it was so cheap, but I don't know what. New shocks maybe?