Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Withnail posted:

Just picked up this 03 Tahoe with 110k miles from a fire dept. Will be using as a weekend warrior work truck. A/C started working with a recharge cannister.

I'd like to throw some money at it because it was so cheap, but I don't know what. New shocks maybe?

Nice! I'm throwing some KYBs at my 01 Silverado. I'll have trip report Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Withnail posted:

Just picked up this 03 Tahoe with 110k miles from a fire dept. Will be using as a weekend warrior work truck. A/C started working with a recharge cannister.

I'd like to throw some money at it because it was so cheap, but I don't know what. New shocks maybe?

24" spinners and 2 12" subwoofers in the trunk and you can be the coolest kid at my high school in 2004

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Withnail posted:

Rad truck.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Was it a private sale or from a dealer? I read that a lot of Volts were used as fleet cars and run like a typical hybrid, never being plugged in.

Dealer; and I am pretty sure that's exactly how it was driven.

I am getting over 200mpg right now. 426 miles, 1 gallon of gas. :smug:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I feel like an adult because I finally bought my own car.

2012 Focus Titanium with a manual. I had been looking mostly for a Mazda3 for the past few months, but this popped up on Craigslist and I jumped on it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Finally a real reason to have an oversized SUV?

Also, thanks to the magic of poo poo Continental OEM tires I had to run my 18" winter tires up front for a few weeks until the new PS4S arrived.

D C fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 29, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

D C posted:

Also, thanks to the magic of poo poo Continental OEM tires I had to run my 18" winter tires up front for a few weeks until the new PS4S arrived.

I have like 500 miles on my PS4S tires on my M3 and they are spectacular in comparison to the high performance summer (worn) Conti tires that they replaced. I have had good summer tires before but never elite tires. The forward grip is excellent, minimal road noise. For a 19 inch and 35 series tire they ride as good as you would hope.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have like 500 miles on my PS4S tires on my M3 and they are spectacular in comparison to the high performance summer (worn) Conti tires that they replaced. I have had good summer tires before but never elite tires. The forward grip is excellent, minimal road noise. For a 19 inch and 35 series tire they ride as good as you would hope.

Wait till you try a super summer tire like a RE71R. You have to be a real rear end hole to get them to slip on the street.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's nearly impossible already to make PSS's (or PS4S's) slip on the street unless you're doing it on purpose. They are unbelievable on the E9x M3 and I can never understand when I see dudes saving $100 by going with crap tires instead.

Only problem is every single regular car person is constantly telling you "YOUR TIRES NEED REPLACING!!" because they come with so little depth of tread in the first place.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I hate going to any shop so much when they see my shoulder wear from driving hard and are always telling me to replace my tires. It's pretty annoying for real.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah they are fantastic so far. 235/35/19. So much smoother and quieter then the Contis with what feels like endless grip. Best tires I've driven on for sure.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Bought a fun car finally. '17 ST base.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Withnail posted:

Leveling keys and a set of bilstiens 5100s. Maybe remove the blue if its not painted on. It looks like it already has aftermarket rims and larger tires.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
dirty af, but I took it out for a non-DD ride.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Went out for a real shoot this morning

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looks sweet, love the white.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

17 Sport w/ DSG

No sunroof and it has the much-needed LSD option

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When I got my 2013 GTI I specified no sunroof they seemed happy to get it off the lot as I assume they didn't sell many without them. They are decent cars so enjoy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

17 Sport w/ DSG

No sunroof and it has the much-needed LSD option

A nice dark tint really helps the white. Nice ride.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Perfect wheels for the S2000.

I live in this state, did you not just catch on fire with the top down? I get on my bike and I feel as if I'm riding into the worlds largest blow-dryer.

angryhampster posted:

Went out for a real shoot this morning

Looks so good in white. Not sure why but I like badge shots.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Traded in the White C7 for a newer grand sport. Took advantage of the "get rid of the 2017s oh god" discounting. Also, because I'm old, my sciatica on my left lower back/upper leg is leaving me unable to walk several times a month, and daily-driving a clutch wasn't doing me any favors. So the new one is an 8-speed paddle shift. First automatic I've owned since I was in my teens, and automatics have no business being this good. Upshifting at throttle, the car makes a nice after-fire pop.

Of course, since I fell in love with a black car, I immediately took it into a reputable local shop and got it all paint-corrected and coated in cquartz finest. We'll see if that helps keep the paint in shape, I've had to completely change how I wash the thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How is the response on the paddles? The 6L80 my dad had in his C6 was fine when left to its own devices, but the lag on the paddles made any sort of "manual" shifting pointless. They were only useful to select a lower gear (i.e. at autocross) so that it didn't try to upshift while entering a corner and then kick down while exiting.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what is this cquartz stuff?

that car looks amazing and a hell of a lot of fun to drive

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I haven't driven a either the automatic C6 or C7 but I've heard the paddles on the 6L80 were basically an afterthought, whereas the paddles on the 8L90 in the C7 were meant to be more integral and are more responsive.

I'm likely going to be picking up a new car this weekend. Hopefully everything will work out and I'll be posting pics on Saturday.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

what is this cquartz stuff?

Ceramic clear paint sealant. Puts a tougher clear coat over the original paint. As stated you need to use different cleaning products on it compared to normal paint.

Worth it if you want to keep the factory paint mint.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Linux Nazi posted:

Of course, since I fell in love with a black car, I immediately took it into a reputable local shop and got it all paint-corrected and coated in cquartz finest. We'll see if that helps keep the paint in shape, I've had to completely change how I wash the thing.

If the quartz stuff is anything like the coating (can't remember the name) I put on the M3 it'll make it breeze to wash it and a quick rinse will make it look like you detailed it.

edit: think it may have been opti coat pro

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Linux Nazi posted:

Traded in the White C7 for a newer grand sport. Took advantage of the "get rid of the 2017s oh god" discounting. Also, because I'm old, my sciatica on my left lower back/upper leg is leaving me unable to walk several times a month, and daily-driving a clutch wasn't doing me any favors. So the new one is an 8-speed paddle shift. First automatic I've owned since I was in my teens, and automatics have no business being this good. Upshifting at throttle, the car makes a nice after-fire pop.

This is what perfection looks like.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

IOwnCalculus posted:

How is the response on the paddles? The 6L80 my dad had in his C6 was fine when left to its own devices, but the lag on the paddles made any sort of "manual" shifting pointless. They were only useful to select a lower gear (i.e. at autocross) so that it didn't try to upshift while entering a corner and then kick down while exiting.

I don't remember them being problematic when I drove it last year. The auto was faster on track than the seven-speed, but less engaging on the road though.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

I haven't driven a either the automatic C6 or C7 but I've heard the paddles on the 6L80 were basically an afterthought, whereas the paddles on the 8L90 in the C7 were meant to be more integral and are more responsive.

I'm likely going to be picking up a new car this weekend. Hopefully everything will work out and I'll be posting pics on Saturday.

The 8L90 is good. Ive not a lot of experience with paddle shifts, but I've read that 2nd to 3rd upshift is faster than the PDK that Porsche employs. I got the feeling when reading that that's where they tend to "rate" the response times of these things but I'm a total newbie so I'm probably wrong about all of it.

I just know that it shifts quickly and makes a pretty sound when it does.

Edit:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/8l90-eight-speed-auto-shifts-quicker-than-porsche-s-pdk-gearbox-85056.html

Sounds like some marketing stat that may or may not be true. But it is better than I thought possible from a torque converter.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 5, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrYenko posted:

This is what perfection looks like.

I'm the 4x4 sized arch gap

It's the only thing I can complain about realistically :v:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm the 4x4 sized arch gap

It's the only thing I can complain about realistically :v:

Ha

It has factory lowering bolts that drop it about an inch I think. It feels like it sits lower than the z51 did.

I still daily it, so I don't know if I'll set it any lower.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Linux Nazi posted:

Bad rear end car and very good pictures

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
Picked it up from the autobody shop.

Dude Sweet fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 6, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nice

Is it still a thing that current classic car people are dismissive of what is becoming classic? The idea that classic cars stopped existing post 1974 or whatever?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dude...sweet. Looks like it rolled off the showroom floor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KakerMix posted:

Nice

Is it still a thing that current classic car people are dismissive of what is becoming classic? The idea that classic cars stopped existing post 1974 or whatever?

The market is probably not ramped up for 90s cars. You can still get Integrales around 20k, and a Carlos Sainz edition ST185 sold for only $9,300:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-toyota-celica-gt4-rc-carlos-sainz-edition/

e: hell, even a nice Type R is mid 20s: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-acura-integra-6/

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 5, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Nice

Depends on the crowd. Last couple of cars and coffee a guy has turned up in a R32 GTR which is fairly exotic for the US and the staff parked it with the other supercars at the front. Cue everyone under 40 mobbing around it to see the car of their Gran Turismo dreams and everyone over 40 asking why "old jap crap" was here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

The 8L90 is good. Ive not a lot of experience with paddle shifts, but I've read that 2nd to 3rd upshift is faster than the PDK that Porsche employs. I got the feeling when reading that that's where they tend to "rate" the response times of these things but I'm a total newbie so I'm probably wrong about all of it.

The 6L80's actual shifts were quick, it just seemed like the paddle was sending a signal via satellite to NASA Houston where five people had to agree before sending the return command to the transmission to perform the shift. I don't doubt that the 8L90's shifts are quicker still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
I still haven't properly seen the paint in direct sunlight, but it has a pretty good amount of pearl in the paint.